Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics
Arrow Food Glorious Food: Foods and Restaurants you miss

Being away in a foreign country makes me miss all the glorious food from the U.S.

When I have anytime at all, I watch Man vs. Food and just relish in all the wonderfully diverse food Adam gets to gorge on. Lucky bastard.

I'm in England, so I miss lots of foods but does anyone else miss foods that aren't near them because they've moved, or homemade goods they just don't get anymore or favourite restaurants that have closed down? Let me know I'm not alone in my pain

I'll get the list started:

1) Chipotle (the restaurant and the pepper)

2) Ledo's Stromboli

3) Utz Sour Cream and Onion chips and Carolina-Style BBQ chips

4) Whoopie pies from the Amish Market down the road from me

5) The Amish butter from the market (God that was so rich and yellow it was almost like cheese)

6) The stuffed Salmon that Costco sells

7) Anything from Trader Joe's

8) My mom's chile rellenos.

Really homesick now LOL.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh God... the ONLY thing I miss since moving to Albany, NY is St. Louis style pizza. Pirrone's pizza to be specific.

I'm going home in September and plan to eat their pizza as many times as is humanly possible in those four days.

For those not familiar with STL style pizza, it's cracker thin and has "provel" cheese on top which is a blend of Swiss, cheddar, and provolone with smoke flavor added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25677_10150104236445397_671935396_11152822_5722490_n.jpg (65.0 KB, 331 views)

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
idontspeakespn

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
Oh God... the ONLY thing I miss since moving to Albany, NY is St. Louis style pizza. Pirrone's pizza to be specific.

I'm going home in September and plan to eat their pizza as many times as is humanly possible in those four days.

For those not familiar with STL style pizza, it's cracker thin and has "provel" cheese on top which is a blend of Swiss, cheddar, and provolone with smoke flavor added.
*drools*

I don't even bother with the pizza here, people can't make it right. And don't even get me started on lasagna...how can you be so close to Italy and yet so far off the mark with the simplest recipe the country has?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I miss Hobee's restaurant. It's a San Francisco bay area restaurant that has delicious food and it's a very veggie friendly place. I used to live across the street from one in high school and my family got to know the staff really well. The soups were always superb. My mom made friends with the chef and we always knew the good days to visit.
I loved their tofu scrambles and their hash browns. The De Anza browns ruled.. guac, pico de gallo and sourcream top cheese smothered hash browns.. so good!
I wish we had one up in Chico.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

I miss good old fashioned pulled pork barbecue. In TX it's all about the beef and heaven help you if you ask for sauce. Then I go home to AL for a visit and the two local barbecue places have shut down. Who's ever heard of a small southern town without a barbecue joint?!
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I miss ...

(1) Chinese food. We once had a first-class Chinese restaurant in town, where you could get incredible dishes like tofu with preserved egg (sigh). It closed. Now all we have are buffets with overcooked steam table crap and no vegetarian dishes!

(2) Denny's. They were open 24 hours, and they had veggie burgers. And terrific onion rings. And excellent malts. And pie.

(3) Einstein Brothers bagels. The only place in town that sells real bagels -- as opposed to dinner rolls with a hole in the middle -- is Panera Bread, which seems to believe that bagels should be fruit flavored. If I wanted a muffin, I'd buy a muffin.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I miss John Harvard's Brewhouse, the food was ok but the microbrew beer was incredible. They had a couple of Scottish style (but not Guiness like) beers that were to die for. I miss Guiness Brea (White) which you can't get in the US, and good Draft Hard Cider which you can sometimes get here, but isn't the same as it is in England or Ireland. Never lived there, just traveled there a fair bit.

I miss Ground Round's Jack Daniels Bread Pudding, although nothing else on their menu. I miss Einstein Bagels old chopped onion bagel which had the onion pieces inside it, vs the new one where they are all on top and either fall off or burn when you toast it.

And I really, really miss Aspen apple-flavored soda which hasn't existed since I was a child. There's a mexican apple flavored soda that is close, but not quite right. Coke sells it so I can get it if I want it still its just not the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
idontspeakespn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
I miss John Harvard's Brewhouse, the food was ok but the microbrew beer was incredible. They had a couple of Scottish style (but not Guiness like) beers that were to die for. I miss Guiness Brea (White) which you can't get in the US, and good Draft Hard Cider which you can sometimes get here, but isn't the same as it is in England or Ireland. Never lived there, just traveled there a fair bit.

I miss Ground Round's Jack Daniels Bread Pudding, although nothing else on their menu. I miss Einstein Bagels old chopped onion bagel which had the onion pieces inside it, vs the new one where they are all on top and either fall off or burn when you toast it.

And I really, really miss Aspen apple-flavored soda which hasn't existed since I was a child. There's a mexican apple flavored soda that is close, but not quite right. Coke sells it so I can get it if I want it still its just not the same.
I love brewhouses! I miss a few in Florida, and there was a great one near Richmond, VA *sigh*
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
idontspeakespn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrouble View Post
I miss good old fashioned pulled pork barbecue. In TX it's all about the beef and heaven help you if you ask for sauce. Then I go home to AL for a visit and the two local barbecue places have shut down. Who's ever heard of a small southern town without a barbecue joint?!
That's a crime...and in Alabama too?

I actually make an oven-roasted pulled pork, and it almost has the same taste as home...not quite smoky, but almost.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Grandy's cinnamon rolls
Whataburger
Good chicken fried steak
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just had this conversation with my sister who is in Jersey, this morning. I moved to Florida 11 yrs ago and she has her house on the market to move down as soon as possible.

Anyhoo, my words to her were, it's August, go and suck up as many Jersey tomatoes as possible because they are just not the same anywhere else. And her comment was and the bagels. Then I said, yes, and the hard rolls.

And my favorite restaurant was Uyi Sushi and the bakery that I loved has closed.

Plus of course there is always the famous taylorhameggandcheeseonahardroll. That tastes the best in Jersey.

And diner fries with brown gravy which I didn't eat all the time, but they were there when I needed them.

So that would be my top three:

Jersey tomatoes
bagels made fresh in Jersey at a bagel shop
hard rolls (preferably made in Newark)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
idontspeakespn

All of these places sound amazing! Keep 'em coming!

I also miss the very politically-incorrect Wigwam Bakery that's shaped like a Tiki-hut...best eclairs ever...so creamy, chocolate was ultra dark and fudgey and they weighed about the size of a small child each. Heaven!

Some other things I miss:

Having dinner at the Kent Narrows Restaurant off the Chesapeake Bay with my mom. My avatar is the picture of the Bay I shot as we were headed back home.

Crab boils

Old Bay Seasoning (I see a Maryland trend forming...)

Fresh blueberries from Maine.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The Onion Crock.. a GREAT soup place that was in the mall in Flint, MI. They made the best cheesy, creamy veggie soups i have ever had. Whenever we'd visit my grandma, we'd go there. They closed sometime before i turned 11. So here it is 20 years later and i STILL long for that soup.
I also like that pasties that my grandma always bought when we'd visit. It's like a vegetable pot pie in calzone skin. Very tasty. Never had that outside of Flint. I left Michigan when i was 4 but remember these foods fondly. Of course i visited a lot over the years too

ooh drool.. i just googled the onion crock and they have mail order soup!! oooh Meggie gonna get a treat one of these days!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #14
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

I grew up in a small-ish town in eastern Washington and since leaving it in 2000, there are a handful of places I miss like mad when a particular craving hits.

Spudnuts from The Spudnut Shop - yes, I can get spudnuts where I live now, but they aren't the same. The glaze is too thick and they just don't have that same airy texture as what I loved.

The guacamole from La Comida - the restaurant has long since closed, but it was an addiction when I was college and burning the term paper midnight oil. I could eat an entire container to myself. My mother tells me when I was very young, she'd give me the guac on a chip and I would suck it off and then double dip. I've never found a place that makes it the same way nor have I been able to replicate the flavor.

and most of all...Zip's Hamburgers! The tartar sauce is legendary and the only acceptable way to eat your tub o' fries (it used to be called that on the menu). Zip's fish and fries, a Bubble Up, and sitting by the river being hollered at by seagulls is a treat I give myself when I visit that hellhole of a town. It's almost worth the trip all on its own.
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post
Grandy's cinnamon rolls
Whataburger
Good chicken fried steak
2nd on the Whataburger..
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Papa Del's pizza, Champaign Illinois.

I can honestly say I would sell blood and plasma for the chance to eat their pizza again. It's just short of sexual for me in terms of how intensely I can remember everything about it--the smells, the sights, the tastes...

TFG, our pizzas are very different (and part of me, having seen the pix, thinks maybe you could make that at home with some experimentation?), but I feel you. Pizza is unique to the region and it just doesn't translate well.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #17
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

My husband really misses Pepperoni Rolls, which are a sw PA/West Virginia thing. Whenever we go out to visit his family we plan for multiple trips to the handful of Sheetz convinence stores (also missed) that carry the one brand he prefers. Some for up there, and a ton to take home with us. They're a soft roll with slices or sticks of pepperoni inside, and can have either regular or hot pepper cheese inside as well. They are believe it or not - sold off the shelf in little plastic bags with no refridgeration despite the meat and cheese. The key to them is that they must have large quantities of the orange pepperoni grease soaked through the dough. You then either eat them cold (ok) or microwave them briefly until the bread is hot and steamy and the meat and cheese warm up. Wretchedly bad for you, likely to give you indigestion in large quantities and to DIE for.

I've tried to learn how to bake them, I can do a version that hits the spot if its been more then 4-5 months since he's had a real one. But its not quite the same.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
idontspeakespn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
My husband really misses Pepperoni Rolls, which are a sw PA/West Virginia thing. Whenever we go out to visit his family we plan for multiple trips to the handful of Sheetz convinence stores (also missed) that carry the one brand he prefers. Some for up there, and a ton to take home with us. They're a soft roll with slices or sticks of pepperoni inside, and can have either regular or hot pepper cheese inside as well. They are believe it or not - sold off the shelf in little plastic bags with no refridgeration despite the meat and cheese. The key to them is that they must have large quantities of the orange pepperoni grease soaked through the dough. You then either eat them cold (ok) or microwave them briefly until the bread is hot and steamy and the meat and cheese warm up. Wretchedly bad for you, likely to give you indigestion in large quantities and to DIE for.

I've tried to learn how to bake them, I can do a version that hits the spot if its been more then 4-5 months since he's had a real one. But its not quite the same.
OMG, yes to pepperoni rolls!! I used to live in WV and they are freakin awesome!! Also, yes to Sheetz--its amazing how good their subs and nachos are...nom nom nom
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I miss Hobee's restaurant. It's a San Francisco bay area restaurant that has delicious food and it's a very veggie friendly place. I used to live across the street from one in high school and my family got to know the staff really well. The soups were always superb. My mom made friends with the chef and we always knew the good days to visit.
I loved their tofu scrambles and their hash browns. The De Anza browns ruled.. guac, pico de gallo and sourcream top cheese smothered hash browns.. so good!
I wish we had one up in Chico.
I used to go to Hobees for breakfast allll the time after a night out dancing. I loved their coffee cake
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
idontspeakespn

I thought of a few others:

Buffalo wings

Horchata (From Mexico/Southwest)

The Kahlua Coffee Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory...or, well any cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory...I f*ing love cheesecake.

Cream of crab soup

Maryland crab cakes.

The Blueberry hotcakes from Cracker Barrel

The Salty Oat Cookie from Teaism, as well as anything else from Teaism

I'm a little scared to go home now on any kind of holiday, because I have a feeling 90% of the time will be me eating food, driving towards eating food, talking about food, or dreaming about food LOL.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontspeakespn View Post
I thought of a few others:

Buffalo wings

Horchata (From Mexico/Southwest)

The Kahlua Coffee Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory...or, well any cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory...I f*ing love cheesecake.

Cream of crab soup

Maryland crab cakes.

The Blueberry hotcakes from Cracker Barrel

The Salty Oat Cookie from Teaism, as well as anything else from Teaism

I'm a little scared to go home now on any kind of holiday, because I have a feeling 90% of the time will be me eating food, driving towards eating food, talking about food, or dreaming about food LOL.
Maybe you can smuggle some stuff back. When I was in college, my roommate was from Germany and she would stock up on German foods to bring back to the US. I remember she would bring all these AMAZING Christmas cookies her dad would make back each year. I told her if her parents ever broke up, I had dibs on her dad--the cookies were that good.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There's a bakery in my hometown called Altamura's that makes bread so good that Frank Sinatra used to have a van drive it fresh to the casinos in Atlantic City whenever he was in town. The bakery is in someone's basement and you'd never notice it existed except for the cars double-parked outside or the lines that go around the corner on the holidays, of people hoping to get the last braided semolina loaf. They don't make cakes either. It's strictly bread, some specialties like real mini pizzas with no cheese--just olive oil, sauce and herbs and anisette cookies and pignoli cookies. (coffee dipping cookies strictly).

I've met people on my travels and when they ask me where I'm from, if they've ever visited, they always mention Altamuras and sigh.

I have traveled over 70 miles from my home just to get some of that bread and it's so distinct, that if you're in a local restaurant and the bread basket is placed on the table, you just know whether or not it's Altamuras. The funny thing is, I'm not a big bread eater, but hand me a loaf of their sausage or pepperoni bread, and I'll bite your hand if you try to take a chunk.

It's only one of several places that when my buddy come road tripping with me, he's gonna gain twenty pounds trying out just the stuff that's indigenous to where I come from.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I hear you. I'm originally from Alabama and I never eat BBQ anywhere else because it always disappoints. I want a big chipped pork sandwich with extra sauce and slaw
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
idontspeakespn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
There's a bakery in my hometown called Altamura's that makes bread so good that Frank Sinatra used to have a van drive it fresh to the casinos in Atlantic City whenever he was in town. The bakery is in someone's basement and you'd never notice it existed except for the cars double-parked outside or the lines that go around the corner on the holidays, of people hoping to get the last braided semolina loaf. They don't make cakes either. It's strictly bread, some specialties like real mini pizzas with no cheese--just olive oil, sauce and herbs and anisette cookies and pignoli cookies. (coffee dipping cookies strictly).

I've met people on my travels and when they ask me where I'm from, if they've ever visited, they always mention Altamuras and sigh.

I have traveled over 70 miles from my home just to get some of that bread and it's so distinct, that if you're in a local restaurant and the bread basket is placed on the table, you just know whether or not it's Altamuras. The funny thing is, I'm not a big bread eater, but hand me a loaf of their sausage or pepperoni bread, and I'll bite your hand if you try to take a chunk.

It's only one of several places that when my buddy come road tripping with me, he's gonna gain twenty pounds trying out just the stuff that's indigenous to where I come from.
I love places like that...ones that look like dives, are in the middle of no-where, or look completely unassuming. Those are the gems. There's this BBQ pit called Randy's and it is literally the size of a small camper, and its stationed outside a bingo hall where I used to live and it had the best sliced beef sandwiches EVER. I think its because they used to dunk the beef in this gravy that was like a really liquidy vinegar based gravy with drippings from the roasted beef, and it would soak into the bread

*drools, makes homer simpson like foodgasm*
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
idontspeakespn

Quote:
Maybe you can smuggle some stuff back. When I was in college, my roommate was from Germany and she would stock up on German foods to bring back to the US. I remember she would bring all these AMAZING Christmas cookies her dad would make back each year. I told her if her parents ever broke up, I had dibs on her dad--the cookies were that good.
That's what my mom says. 'Just bring back a suitcase that's empty'..but that looks highly suspicious to airport security LOL. And, some stuff is contraband in the UK...like corn syrup (although I hardly see how things like Bovril and Golden syrup are any better). I'm afraid of being detained at Heathrow.