Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
duraznos

duraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesduraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesduraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

dunno if this counts, but Trader Joe's used to carry a toffee nut popcorn snack called "Rosencrunch and Guildenpop". I bought it because of the cute Shakespearean name, but I kept buying it because it was sooo yummy. and now it's gone

duraznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #27
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraznos View Post
dunno if this counts, but Trader Joe's used to carry a toffee nut popcorn snack called "Rosencrunch and Guildenpop". I bought it because of the cute Shakespearean name, but I kept buying it because it was sooo yummy. and now it's gone

I am a Trader Joe's fanatic and I remember this...God, I miss Trader Joe's. Now I remember something in particular from TJ's that I miss: Their tropical fruit pops. Soooo good on a hot summer's day. Not that I remember what that's like, now living in England. I'm lucky I remember what the sun looks like.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

These.................
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Papa Del's pizza, Champaign Illinois.

I can honestly say I would sell blood and plasma for the chance to eat their pizza again. It's just short of sexual for me in terms of how intensely I can remember everything about it--the smells, the sights, the tastes...

TFG, our pizzas are very different (and part of me, having seen the pix, thinks maybe you could make that at home with some experimentation?), but I feel you. Pizza is unique to the region and it just doesn't translate well.
Papa Del's was so good! I miss Garcia's slices too. And the Tollhouse Pie that the U of I cafeterias used to have, OH MY LORD, so good. I worked in the caf and we used to hide a couple of pies and the workers would feast after hours.

Other things I miss:

Chef BoyArDee spaghetti sauce. It was crap in a can with fake meat, but it was comfort food.

Date Bars. From Betty Crocker, I think. They don't make the mix anymore. I found a recipe, but it's just not the same.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
Papa Del's was so good! I miss Garcia's slices too. And the Tollhouse Pie that the U of I cafeterias used to have, OH MY LORD, so good. I worked in the caf and we used to hide a couple of pies and the workers would feast after hours.

Other things I miss:

Chef BoyArDee spaghetti sauce. It was crap in a can with fake meat, but it was comfort food.

Date Bars. From Betty Crocker, I think. They don't make the mix anymore. I found a recipe, but it's just not the same.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Another unknown wonder was the Chef BoyArDee Pizza Kit. The sauce I didn't really care for, but the mix for the dough is one of the best to behold anywhere. Makes a wonderful thin crisp crust.

Edited to Add: I've found the spaghetti sauce online.. You've convinced me enough to give it a try.. if I can get a can or three.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Chef BoyArDee spaghetti sauce. It was crap in a can with fake meat, but it was comfort food...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
...I've found the spaghetti sauce online.. You've convinced me enough to give it a try.. if I can get a can or three.
Was it the "crap in a can" or "fake meat" that won you over?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #32
MissAshley
Enigma

MissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 club

Cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #33
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Was it the "crap in a can" or "fake meat" that won you over?
Um.. the comfort food part.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAshley View Post
Cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster
Aren't these available at RL anymore? I can't imagine they would stop making them. People go there JUST for the Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Another unknown wonder was the Chef BoyArDee Pizza Kit. The sauce I didn't really care for, but the mix for the dough is one of the best to behold anywhere. Makes a wonderful thin crisp crust.

Edited to Add: I've found the spaghetti sauce online.. You've convinced me enough to give it a try.. if I can get a can or three.
You're gonna gag, the stuff is just horrific, but my mom used to fix it for us kids when we were on a tight budget. So it just brings back memories. Gotta have it with Kraft Parmesan cheese in the green can. something about the sandy texture that makes it better.......
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Aren't these available at RL anymore? I can't imagine they would stop making them. People go there JUST for the Cheddar Bay Biscuits
They still make them.

And I HAVE gone there just for them.

Okay, and a sharkarita.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #37
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
PREACH IT, SISTER!

I remember Garcia's--'Pizza in a Cup.'
Which caf did you work in? I lived in PAR for 2 years.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #38
idontspeakespn

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
They still make them.

And I HAVE gone there just for them.

Okay, and a sharkarita.
Seriously, I got scared for a minute. I'm back home for Christmas and my first stop was to Ole' RL to pick up a dozen of those bad boys for muchin before heading to mom's house.

Glad to know they are still there.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #39
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I was raised on cold cereal and I miss these classics: C.W.Post and Buc-Wheats.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #40
idontspeakespn

I just got reminded of this: Carmine's Restaurant in New York City (And Washington, D.C.)

The veal cutlet combo hero....succulent pieces of veal, paired with fried eggplant, crispy proscuitto, mozzarella cheese and covered with Carmine's red sauce...it was literally sex on a plate, and big enough to share with at least two people.

*drool*

That's the first thing I will hit when I go back home for Christmas!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #41
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I was raised on cold cereal and I miss these classics: C.W.Post and Buc-Wheats.
"raised on cold cereal"

Me too. These might still be available, but I would never buy them because I have no control over myself with sweet cereals. I miss Quisp, King Vitamin, Booberry, and both Fruity & Coco Pebbles.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #42
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

There was a local restaurant when I was a kid that had THE BEST soft tacos.. ever... I dunno what it was that was in their sauce, but they tasted like pure, spicy magic. The restaurant is closed now, so even if I do visit the area again at some point... I'll never have one of those tacos again.

*sigh*

They were amazing.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
PREACH IT, SISTER!

I remember Garcia's--'Pizza in a Cup.'
Which caf did you work in? I lived in PAR for 2 years.
I don't remember Pizza in a Cup. Was it a soup? I just remember those delicious rectangular slices and that a football game wasn't complete without a sighting of the "Flying Tomato" (The ORIGINAL hot air balloon- not some redheaded skater).

I lived in FAR for 3 years, so I worked there. Worked at ISR and Busey-Evans my senior year. Graduated in 85. You?

I L L.......
Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
wtchmel

wtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeswtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

restaurants i miss, that would have to be The capitola,ca. Marie Callenders, considering they're closed now and that was my job for 20 years and now i'm without one. Not to mention the pies.....Sigh......
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #45
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I miss late night runs for GIANT bean burritos with gobs of cheese at Taco Bravo in the bay area. I always get a bagful of them to bring home when I'm down there.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #46
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraznos View Post

The name is too cute.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #47
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pizza

I miss Shakee's Pizza.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #48
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I miss Shakee's Pizza.
I miss Shakee's too! Years ago, my brother and a bunch of his buddies went to Shakee's the night before going to state champion swim meet. The 12 boys (high school age) wanted to "carbo-load" before the big event. After they had been there a few hours, the manager came out and told them that they had to leave because the restaurant was out of food. The boys had eaten all the shrimp, pizza, pasta and salad that the place had available for that night. I think that's why they went out of business. I still blame my brother, who's 42 now.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #49
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Doughnuts. Where have all the good doughnuts gone? My state doesn't even have Krispy Kreme anymore.

All we can really get are the boxed doughnuts at the grocery stores or the doughnuts at the gas stations.

I want a good doughnut.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I want a good doughnut.
Like Bill Clinton, I feel your pain. I also know -- and you do, too -- that there is only one true and worthwhile answer to the problem: you need to get a deep fryer and make your own. I have only had homemade doughnuts once in my life: a former girlfriend made them for me once, and I have never forgotten them (or her). They were transcendent. Since you can tell the good from the mediocre, you owe it to yourself to learn to make doughnuts ... good ones.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote