Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging in
Default The brokeass eating thread! (No ramen allowed.)

I just moved out for the first time last month, but am already getting tired of hot dogs and 99 cent pot pies.

I know there are a ton of cheap recipe sites floating around the internet - so you can save the energy if you were planning on posting links to Google - but what are some of your favorites?
That Guy You Met Once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My first year of college I survived on potatoes. Smashed,creamed,baked,fried,stuffed,hashbrowns, etc..

And eggs.
Egg salad, boiled eggs, fried eggs, scrambled, etc...

I was a huge fan of stocking up on cheap easy things I could prepare fast, and with only a handful of ingredients.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I use brand names but you can use all generic items.
See if there's an Aldi's in your area. Also a few of these items can be found in a dollar store.

*Defcorn5*

1 box of yellow rice mix (prepared according to instructions but leave out the oil, margarine or butter)

1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup

4 oz of butter (one stick) or the equivalent in margarine (softened or melted)

1 can (any size--depends on how much you want) of Mexicorn, drained (corn with bits of peppers in it--if you don't like peppers--then sub 1 can of corn, drained)

2 cups of shredded cheese of your choice. I use a cheddar blend. I used more cheese but that's to taste.

Optional: any kind of chopped veggie, cooked crumbled meat or shredded leftover chicken or pork

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a baking dish.
Mix everything in a big bowl (except for one cup of cheese) OR just mix it in the baking dish and save a step.
Top with remaining cheese
Cook uncovered for 45 minutes
Eat
Leftovers keep well for up to a week, covered.
Do not freeze

This recipe has been quadrupled for big parties. There are NEVER any leftovers.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging in

I think I'll try that today. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Defcorn V

I made Defcorn V tonight, and it got rave reviews! And justly so: it is truly delicious. Kudos to CastingPearls for tossing this pearl to ... well, I did make a pig of myself...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ive eaten this countless times when i was skint. I never got fed up of it.

Two large potatoes, washed and quite finely diced
One onion peeled and finely chopped
chilli powder
garlic (powder, granules, or fresh, minced)
salt
cooking oil

put a couple of spoonsful of cooking oil into a wok or large frying pan. Add the chilli and garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add potato and onion. Cook on high and stir or toss regularly til cooked, about ten minutes. Salt to taste.

This can be tarted up nicely by adding a bit of grainy mustard, a bit of double (heavy) cream, and a good squirt of lemon juice.

Also, this thread might help - http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ht=food+budget
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Canned beans--cheap, filling, and good for you (protein and fiber).

All kinds of food can be cheap, but terrible for you. That's why we see such awful health issues in very poor communities in American cities.

Cheap food can still be relatively good for you if you're smart.

Bean salad:

A can of, say, black eyed peas (as low as 79c in the US)
A green pepper (or red, or whatever's on sale)
A tomato or 2
A small red onion
Enough italian salad dressing to lightly coat.

Rinse the beans, chop the vegetables, add the dressing. Chill. Eat.

I made a double batch last night (with red, yellow and green peppers--I'm lucky to have a cheap produce truck a block and a half from home) and will be eating it along with a grilled cheese sandwich to make sure I get some fiber and vegetables with my carbs!
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I made Defcorn V tonight, and it got rave reviews! And justly so: it is truly delicious. Kudos to CastingPearls for tossing this pearl to ... well, I did make a pig of myself...
The beauty of it is that is IS so good and versatile--you can add a lot to it, or just use the basic recipe of five ingredients. I can't tell you how many people like this recipe so much that they make it a regular dish AND bring it to potlucks and cookouts. I have another recipe that's just as popular but it's not so cheap to make so if anyone wants it they can just PM me for it.

Glad you liked it.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
That Guy You Met Once

I'll have to put off trying it until tomorrow. That's when I'm doing all my grocery shopping. I'll tell you how it goes.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
I'll have to put off trying it until tomorrow. That's when I'm doing all my grocery shopping. I'll tell you how it goes.
Don't forget! And either way--ENJOY!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
bonified
cannabis connoisseur

bonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 club

pasta is cheap, delicious and good for you. Ive lived in some remote parts where I had to fish for protein, but a few pantry staples you will survive lol

pasta with olive oil chili parsley & garlic... done. slice the garlic, so when you fry it, its brown, not crunchy, but kinda chewy... hmm delish!

you can add fresh tomatos, a chicken breast, bacon, mushies, etc.. it's limitless really.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
That Guy You Met Once

Oh my God.

It's. Amazing.

And I have enough to last me a few days. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm making tater tot casserole tonight..it's not fancy food..but it isn't horrible either..lol

2lbs ground beef
1/2 medium onion diced
2 cans condensed cream soup of choice, I used cream of chicken
vegetables of choice-you can use a bag of frozen or whatever canned veggies you have laying around
1/2 bag tator tots
spices of your choice-I added garlic and crushed red pepper flakes..but I bet chili powder or paprika would be tasty.
Shredded cheese is optional

Heat Oven to 375

Brown beef and onions together...drain. Drain veggies if you are using canned. If not, just throw in as many as you want. Add both cans of soup. If you want a little more "gravy" you can add a can of water. I chose not to do so.

Mix everything together and pour into a greased casserole pan. Top with frozen tots. Spread tots evenly and put in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the tots are browned to your liking. I added shredded cheese after 30 minutes..turned on the broiler and let the cheese melt and brown slightly.

Serves about 10..lol...or 1 hungry fat girl for b, l and dinner tomorrow
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I'm making tater tot casserole tonight..it's not fancy food..but it isn't horrible either..lol

2lbs ground beef
1/2 medium onion diced
2 cans condensed cream soup of choice, I used cream of chicken
vegetables of choice-you can use a bag of frozen or whatever canned veggies you have laying around
1/2 bag tator tots
spices of your choice-I added garlic and crushed red pepper flakes..but I bet chili powder or paprika would be tasty.
Shredded cheese is optional

Heat Oven to 375

Brown beef and onions together...drain. Drain veggies if you are using canned. If not, just throw in as many as you want. Add both cans of soup. If you want a little more "gravy" you can add a can of water. I chose not to do so.

Mix everything together and pour into a greased casserole pan. Top with frozen tots. Spread tots evenly and put in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the tots are browned to your liking. I added shredded cheese after 30 minutes..turned on the broiler and let the cheese melt and brown slightly.

Serves about 10..lol...or 1 hungry fat girl for b, l and dinner tomorrow

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've seen that exact recipe except.. don't brown the meat first, just press it into a pan, and bake for an hour at 375.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Find yourself a rice cooker, and the sky is the limit on cheap, assorted recipes you can make to have over freshly cooked rice.

Stir-fry, creole red beans, hamburger (ground turkey, jimmy dean sausage) gravy, tikka masala, thai panang curry, lentils madras, cuban black beans, chop suey, manwich, chili con carne, creamed corn, spicy peanut chicken, chorizo and peppers...

(and with the rice that's left over, refrigerate it so you have make fried rice the next day )
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Something I do on a bind:

Noodles of choice (preferably macaroni)
Miracle Whip or no name brand of the same
Sun-dried tomato salad dressing vinaigrette
Zesty Italian vinaigrette

Cook the noodles. Strain, cool down with cold water. (yeah, yeah... I **gasp** said to rinse noodles!)

Put noodles in a bowl big enough to mix ingredients.
Put in Miracle Whip. (I tend to do 3 tbsp per 2 cups of noodles)
Mix and pour in salad dressings by eye or by taste.

Voila.

Also, tastes really good with chicken pieces in it. Cut up chicken nuggets, cook, and throw into the mix for a different taste.

-----

Totally something I learned at the cafeteria at my high school. It how they made noodle salad.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #18
That Guy You Met Once

I've been meaning to cook more, but I live in a college house with three roommates, and our kitchen is a foul, barbaric affront to God.

(Not my fault. I wash my own dishes.)

It's infested with roaches, and the minute I walk in there, the smell of rotting food punches my nose in the dick. If that's not enough to make me say "fuck it" and head out to Wendy's for some dollar menu crap, seeing my roommate's used all the cookware and left it sitting in the sink - which has been clogged with stagnant brown water ever since someone thought it wouldn't be retarded to dump a cup of ramen into it, even though we don't have a garbage disposal - is.

How do I work around this? Is there any cheap way to eat out?

BTW: Yes, I have talked to them about this. More than once.

Last edited by That Guy You Met Once; 08-11-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
How do I work around this? Is there any cheap way to eat out?
It sounds like what you need is a cheap way to MOVE out.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For me, "brokeass" means I'm cooking from scratch. Best bang for the buck in my books are lentils.

Pot of Lentils
1 bag of lentils (usually $1 - $1.50)
cover with water
chicken/beef/veg bouillon cube if you have it, if not,it's fine.
1 chopped onion --can use jarred seasoning if that's what you got
3 - 4 cloves garlic chopped --can use jarred seasoning
1 diced tomato or a can of diced tomato if you got a good deal
Optional: diced carrot or two, diced celery
generous amount of herb seasoning (I prefer beau monde, but italian mix is great too)

Bring to a boil, simmer til done, about 20 minutes.

This makes a pot that will feed a person for several meals. You can eat it cold, with cottage cheese say, or as a soup.

Put this over a baked potato, you have a meal that will sustain you for hours.

It's nutritious, delicious, and very, very cheap. If you're lucky and can afford it, through in a little bit of ham too for extra punch.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
That Guy You Met Once

@Dr. Feelgood: Maybe... But I just moved in a month ago, the rent's only $300 a month (lowest price I could find in the entire city) and I get along with my roommates in every other way. I don't know if it's worth turning my life upside-down just for a cleaner kitchen, especially when I don't have a job to support a more expensive place yet.

Getting back on the subject of food, I think I'll try some of Fuzzy's rice recipes next. Maybe either red beans, chicken tikka (depending on what it takes to make the chicken) or stir-fry. Rice is pretty easy and only takes one pot.

Also, baking a potato on some tin foil is pretty simple, so I might try the lentils on potato, too.

Last edited by That Guy You Met Once; 08-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

$300 is incredible rent and not to be sneezed at. You might want to get your tetanus booster before you go into the kitchen, though. And if you want the best of all unbelievably cheap recipes in one place, the book is Jay Rosenberg's The Impoverished Student's Book of Cookery, Drinkery, and Housekeepery. It's out of print, BUT if you go to Advance Book Exchange, they have a copy for $7.50 (which you will probably save on your first meal). Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #23
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
@Dr. Feelgood: Maybe... But I just moved in a month ago, the rent's only $300 a month (lowest price I could find in the entire city) and I get along with my roommates in every other way. I don't know if it's worth turning my life upside-down just for a cleaner kitchen, especially when I don't have a job to support a more expensive place yet.

Getting back on the subject of food, I think I'll try some of Fuzzy's rice recipes next. Maybe either red beans, chicken tikka (depending on what it takes to make the chicken) or stir-fry. Rice is pretty easy and only takes one pot.

Also, baking a potato on some tin foil is pretty simple, so I might try the lentils on potato, too.
Hey, you don't even have to wrap the potato in foil! Just wash it, pierce the skin with a fork a couple times and throw it in the oven.

By the way, the lentil "recipe" works for pretty much any dried bean, with the codicil that pretty much all other beans need to be soaked in water overnight before cooking, and take a bit longer to actually cook. Beans have a lot of protein and fiber and what not in them...and cooking them from scratch they are dirt cheap.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Chili can be cheap or expensive, depending on what kind of meat you use or if you don't use meat at all. It's great for bulk cooking and you can freeze the leftovers.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Chili can be cheap or expensive, depending on what kind of meat you use or if you don't use meat at all. It's great for bulk cooking and you can freeze the leftovers.
Or you can cook up some macaroni and make chili mac!