Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #26
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
$300 is incredible rent and not to be sneezed at. You might want to get your tetanus booster before you go into the kitchen, though. And if you want the best of all unbelievably cheap recipes in one place, the book is Jay Rosenberg's The Impoverished Student's Book of Cookery, Drinkery, and Housekeepery. It's out of print, BUT if you go to Advance Book Exchange, they have a copy for $7.50 (which you will probably save on your first meal). Good luck!
what about asking the landlord to do what is the landlord's job to do, and deal with the roaches?
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #27
That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging in

According to my roommate, the landlady's been promising to do something about the roaches for a minute now.

Anyway, I (usually) do all my grocery shopping on Mondays, so I'll get on the rice recipes and potatoes tomorrow.

As for tonight, I just realized five minutes ago that I have everything I need in the house for tacos. That'll be a good use for some of my remaining Defcorn, too.
That Guy You Met Once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #28
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

In my very early twenties there was a year I lived exclusively off of Bisquick pancakes and pizza rolls.

I worked in a mall at the time. $7.00 an hour and I was dating a woman who made $60k a year.

The chick at the Cinnabon fancied me. I read her as being insane: she had a methish perk to her. Nonetheless I accepted her sweet FREE "samples" whenever offered.

To this day the sweet smell of dough. cinnamon, and sour cream fills me with self loathing.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #29
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgujer148 View Post
Nonetheless I accepted her sweet FREE "samples" whenever offered.
Looking back on this. I should point out that I meant this literally. Free Cinnabons, not free...

Anyway...as you were.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
nite_mare

nite_mare can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesnite_mare can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Yes, I know you said no ramen, but this is a really good recipe.. My ex and I used to make this.. it's a brokeass stirfry.. and it's fast, cheap and easy..

bag of ramen noodles.. beef or chicken flavor..
veggies.. we used onion, mushroom and yellow and red bell peppers
summer sausage or hot dogs or whatever you have like that..

dice up and saute the veggies in a little olive oil.. about half way thru, cut up the sausage into bite size pieces and heat throughout.. while cooking this, cook the noodles but don't add the seasoning packet just yet.. drain the noodles.

Now.. when the veggies and meat are cooked, add the drained noodles and stir.. then add the seasoning packet and mix thoroughly..

taa-daa It's really good and it'll last a couple of meals depending on how many bags of ramen you add!

Last edited by nite_mare; 08-15-2011 at 10:30 AM.
nite_mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #31
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

A thing I could eat for days at a time and not get sick of is soup. All kinds of soup. The great thing about soup is that anything can become soup. A big pot will last for days if you freeze it in smaller containers.

I use rice a lot in soup and a 5lb bag of rice will last for months if not an entire year if it's just one person eating it.

When I could eat soy, Miso Soup was cheap and good.
Miso paste (about $5 but it lasts for a few weeks)
Tofu - any kind, $3
bonito flakes, $3 - lasts for months
wakame (a type of seawead) $5 - lasts for months.
scalions - $0.50 to $0.99

Optional
onions
mushrooms
bok choy
any other vegetable you want if you have a couple extra bucks to buy it.

If I remember right, you just throw a couple large spoonfuls of miso paste into a pot with some water and the wakame and vegetable, let it come to almost boiling, then you add the tofu and bonito flakes, let it cook for a couple minutes and done.

Total cost $17 to $20. I suppose another option for this is dried miso soup mix that costs like $3 but it will taste weird and won't have any vegetables.

Chicken and rice soup
Chicken thighs without the bone (cheaper than breasts) diced
bag of frozen soup vegetable or frozen mixed vegetables
garlic, three cloves minced
any kind of rice - about a handful or two
vermouth or cheap wine - about a cup
a couple tablespoons of oil or butter
salt and pepper

Assuming you already have rice, the total cost of this meal is about $12.

Put the chicken in a pot with butter or oil and garlic. Let it start to saute. After a few minutes add a couple handfuls of frozen veggies. Add more oil or butter if it sticks to the pot. After a few minutes add the vermouth or wine and let it cook for a few more minutes then add the rice and enough water to cover everything completely. It's done when the rice is cooked.

Bean and kale soup. This is my version of portuguese soup.
kale chopped - $3
chicken stock - $2 or 2 bouillon cubes
kidney beans (can =$2, dried also equals $2)
sage sausage - $4
onion - $0.70
garlic - $0.50
vermouth or white wine $3 to $5
salt and pepper
cilantro (optional)

cook the sausage and break it up into chunks and drain
add the onions and garlic and cilantro
add the kale and let it start to cook down
add the wine and stir
add the beans and chicken stock or cubes
add water to cover everything completely
add salt and pepper

Let it cook until the kale is tender.

total cost, $12 - $15

Last edited by olwen; 08-15-2011 at 11:15 AM.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #32
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite_mare View Post
Yes, I know you said no ramen, but this is a really good recipe.. My ex and I used to make this.. it's a brokeass stirfry.. and it's fast, cheap and easy..

bag of ramen noodles.. beef or chicken flavor..
veggies.. we used onion, mushroom and yellow and red bell peppers
summer sausage or hot dogs or whatever you have like that..

dice up and saute the veggies in a little olive oil.. about half way thru, cut up the sausage into bite size pieces and heat throughout.. while cooking this, cook the noodles but don't add the seasoning packet just yet.. drain the noodles.

Now.. when the veggies and meat are cooked, add the drained noodles and stir.. then add the seasoning packet and mix thoroughly..

taa-daa It's really good and it'll last a couple of meals depending on how many bags of ramen you add!
I've done this too with packs of rice noodles. They cost a little bit more than ramen tho and are a bit harder to find, but it's the same thing. I've used hamburger meat, eggs, hot dogs, leftover steak, left over chicken, just whatever meat and veggies are lying around in the fridge.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #33
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Also, don't forget stone soup! Or as I like to call it, random soup. It's a good way to use up leftovers and clean out your cupboards. Obviously, you want to use a combination of things that go together decently. Add to a pot veggies, meat or beans, and throw in some spices like basil, oregano, or thyme. Take it to a boil and then simmer for awhile to let the flavors mingle.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #34
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
*Defcorn5*

1 box of yellow rice mix (prepared according to instructions but leave out the oil, margarine or butter)

1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup

4 oz of butter (one stick) or the equivalent in margarine (softened or melted)

1 can (any size--depends on how much you want) of Mexicorn, drained (corn with bits of peppers in it--if you don't like peppers--then sub 1 can of corn, drained)

2 cups of shredded cheese of your choice. I use a cheddar blend. I used more cheese but that's to taste.

Optional: any kind of chopped veggie, cooked crumbled meat or shredded leftover chicken or pork

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a baking dish.
Mix everything in a big bowl (except for one cup of cheese) OR just mix it in the baking dish and save a step.
Top with remaining cheese
Cook uncovered for 45 minutes
Eat
Leftovers keep well for up to a week, covered.
Do not freeze

This recipe has been quadrupled for big parties. There are NEVER any leftovers.
Lordie, Lordie, Lordie. I made this last night as a last minute choice as a side dish for grilled chicken. It was effin' delicious. I didn't have rice so I used a can of mixed organic beans. I also softened an onion in the butter, but other than that, I left the recipe unmolested.

So good. Damn. I see many permutations of this in my future!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

The best way to eat well when broke ass is to cook. So I would suggest going to the grocery store and getting Dawn (named specifically because of how well it breaks up grease), cleanser, and oven cleaner, and then go to the hardware store and get a really good plunger, drain cleaner, and Bengal gold roach spray (named specifically because of the kick ass job it's done on really bad roach problems for people I know) and get that kitchen under control. And then ban the roomies from ever using it again. It's an initial investment that will repay you for weeks and weeks to come.

When I'm broke, I make soups with broth (chicken or beef), prepared meats (like hot dogs, or sausages, or pre-cooked chicken breast), flavoring vegetables (like garlic and onion and peppers), and eating vegetables (like carrots, potatoes, corn, peas).
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #36
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Lordie, Lordie, Lordie. I made this last night as a last minute choice as a side dish for grilled chicken. It was effin' delicious. I didn't have rice so I used a can of mixed organic beans. I also softened an onion in the butter, but other than that, I left the recipe unmolested.

So good. Damn. I see many permutations of this in my future!
Looks like I have to try Defcorn5 too.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Defcorn5

I'm so glad everyone likes this recipe. I can't tell you how many people I've fed with it that have made it, then passed it on and so on. It's gone viral!

And it's delicious!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #38
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

Rice, salsa, crushed corn chips, eat.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #39
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplee View Post
Rice, salsa, crushed corn chips, eat.
Hell, I make a grown-up salary and I pay Chipotle $13 for the same menu.

I suddenly feel absurd. Like totally Sartre absurd.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 AM   #40
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Man View Post
The best way to eat well when broke ass is to cook. So I would suggest going to the grocery store and getting Dawn (named specifically because of how well it breaks up grease), cleanser, and oven cleaner, and then go to the hardware store and get a really good plunger, drain cleaner, and Bengal gold roach spray (named specifically because of the kick ass job it's done on really bad roach problems for people I know) and get that kitchen under control. And then ban the roomies from ever using it again. It's an initial investment that will repay you for weeks and weeks to come.
Agree with this. My first year of college I lived with some absolutely filthy b*stards and, as much as I hate cleaning up the kitchen when it wasn't my mess, there comes a point when you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Get onto the landlady about the roaches (again) and get that kitchen cleaned up. Your roomies might be more inclined to tidy up after themselves if someone bites the bullet and does the big deep clean. One of my roommates was notoriously bad for not washing up. There were pots & bowls along the window ledge that had f*ck knows what growing on them....i donned some marigolds (rubber gloves) and piled it all up outside his bedroom door. Heheh.

Back on topic....good recipes, ppl. I look forward to trying some - Vickie, good to know the defcorn thingy worked with beans....I have regular rice, but i don't know what yellow rice mix is...I dont think we have that here.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #41
olwen
Disco Bear

Yellow rice is a latin thing. It's white rice with safron and sofrito I think. Sofrito is bunch of herbs along with some other veggies cooked down. Here, most people buy it in the supermarket. Or you can buy it as prepackaged food like what CP was talking about. I love yellow rice but the box kind is just too salty for me, so I make it at home. My niece likes it with green olives.

Which reminds me, another thing that lasts for like a week (as long as there's not more than two people eating it), is pernil. If it's made right it is soooooo fucking good. You can eat it over rice, make sandwiches, or get some dough (get the premade yuca or flour thingys from the store) and make pastelitos or empanadas. My family loves it and when they get pernil on the brain I have to make it.

Pernil

1 pork shoulder preferably with a bone (more flavor). Here it costs about $9, more if you get it from whole foods so don't get it there. It is also a low and slow thing, so do this on a day where you can kinda watch the stove.

Oregano (fresh is better)
1 whole garlic bulb
salt
vinegar
olive oil (or whatever oil is on hand)

Poke holes, lots and lots of holes in the shoulder with a big fork, even the skin. Rub the salt all over the pork making sure to get some in the holes.

chop up the garlic (I like to slice off the top of the bulb and then smash it. The cloves are easier to pull apart like that) and oregano and put in a bowl with some pepper, a bit of vinegar and oil. You're going to make a paste.

Rub the paste all over the pork, making sure to get the garlic as deep into the holes as you can and under the skin. Put it in an air tight container or a large baggie and let it marinate for 24 hours. This is important. It won't taste right if you don't marinate it.

The next day, put it in a roasting pan or dutch oven with a little bit of water or white wine and cover it. Cook at about 250 degrees until the pork falls apart with a fork. You just won't need a knife. About 5 hours. The last 15 minutes of cook time, pull off the cover and turn the oven up to about 375 to let the skin get crispy. Watch it carefully tho so the pork doesn't dry out. Or if you don't want to wait, take the skin off and cook it in a pan and let it get crispy that way or just discard it if you hate the skin.

An alternate to pork shoulder is pork belly. Do the same things, but substitute the oregano for rosemary, and add some dry mustard to the marinade. Tt's just as delicious but it's not pernil. It's pork belly.

Last edited by olwen; 08-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #42
MeltzNyoMouf

MeltzNyoMouf has said some nice things
Default mmmm

that tater tot casserole looks good. ill have to try that one soon!!
MeltzNyoMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #43
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Potatoes have certainly been popular. I'm a poor grad student, and this is a regular meal:

Mashed sweet potato
Add onion, pepper, mushroom, carrot, broccoli, whatever else you want (~$2 worth of produce from Chinatown)
Dump in a bunch of Frank's Red Hot
Voila!

Also, since I'm Polish, I must mention that homemade cabbage rolls are super cheap and last for days. Oh, and grilled cheese sandwiches can be stuffed with various vegetables to make them reasonably healthy and filling (and cheap).
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah, hot dogs and ramen get old pretty fast. I seriously would not mind if I never had another hot dog again.

Pasta is the easiest thing to make, and it's cheap! A simple white sauce can be nothing more than butter, flour, and water, and it's really easy to make delicious sauces from scratch. You definitely want to always have some staples around - flour, spices of choice, oil - things like that. Then you can ALWAYS make SOMETHING. SOS (gravy over toast) was one of the things we had a lot when I was a kid to make things stretch.

I always keep some cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup around, because they can be used SO many ways. I also always have parmesan in the house, as well as cheddar cheese and tortillas. (I love tortillas! You can do just about anything with them. I've even had cheese + hot dogs in tortillas.... back in the hot dog days. You'll do anything to make them taste different! lol. If I'm pressed for time, I will often just have a tortilla + cheese + a dash of chili powder with salsa on top. Simple, totally unhealthy, but really yummy.)

Not as cheap, but cream cheese is good to have around too. You can make a hell of an alfredo sauce quickly and easily with cream cheese and a handful of other things. My husband and mom both LOVE my crab fettuccine alfredo. You can also make crab & cream cheese wontons pretty cheaply and very easily if you love deliciously unhealthy fried food and can't afford to get them at a Chinese place. As kinda sad as it is, I actually like the imitation crab better than the real stuff. lol

Also not as cheap, but I generally keep chicken in the freezer, because, once again - lots of stuff you can do with chicken. My fav is to make bread crumbs (sliced bread + oven = dried bread + grater = nice, fine bread crumbs), mix in some parmesan, rosemary, garlic, etc. and use that as a breading. Pound & cut the chicken, dredge it in flour,moisten with an egg/tiny bit of milk mixture, then coat it in the breading mix and fry it up. Yummy! Easy and totally delicious. Pounding the chicken makes it cook evenly / faster, and it stretches the meals you get out of it.

Potatoes. Lots of things to do with potatoes, and they're really cheap.

Pie. Pie crust is REALLY easy and cheap to make, and you can stick just about anything you want to in a pie crust. I love pie.

Side dishes make things last longer, and it makes you feel much less "poor" to have more than one thing to eat, even if it's just some toast or canned veggies or something. I always find that I eat more of something and feel hungrier / less satisfied in general if I'm only eating one thing for a meal.

On the practical side, I think the best investment I made in terms of things for my first place was a set of airtight canisters. If you eat cereal, you can buy in bulk, store it in the airtight canisters, and it seriously lasts a long time. Food spoilage is a terrible $$$ waster. It's also good to have an onion keeper or a container that has a sort of grated shelf set over the bottom to allow fruit/veg to drain, so that if you keep fresh produce in the fridge, it'll keep MUCH longer. I believe Rubbermaid makes some.

In a pinch, you can also do things to make stuff like ramen much tastier. (I'll spare you the ramen variations - lol - but you CAN totally fry up ramen noodles for crispies to have with stir fry.) You can often add a little of this or that to cheapo foods and make them much better. Cheese to frozen pizzas, [generic] velveeta to mac & cheese (you can also add hot dog slices), etc... but I think it's generally best to work from scratch. It often does not take much more time (if any) and the results are far better.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

One of my favourite cheap eats is a very simple pasta dish. You'll need some :-

Pasta (I prefer to use Tagliatelle but Spahetti or linguine would be fine, heck you could even make it fresh but this is cheap eats remember!)
1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
1 Jar of tomato passata
1 Tbsp tomato puree *optional
1 medium white onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
6 rashers of streaky bacon (Bacon tip, make your own, buy a pork belly and cure it yourself, it's easy, delicious, cheap and nitrate free!)
4 sausages (this recipe is designed with the classic British banger in mind but oyu can substitute for your own favourites, chorizo is excellent but needs to be cooked longer to render it's fat out)
Salt
Black Pepper
Thyme (dried is fine if you don't have fresh but herbs are cheap to grow in a window box and will transform dishes)
Olive Oil (doesn't need to be Extra Virgin, the cooking process will lose a lot of it's flavour so save yourself the money)
1 Chicken stock cube/stock pot (I prefer the Knorr brand. I don't know if they have them across the other side of the Atlantic but if they do, try the stockpots...excellent product.)

Method.

First, you need to brown your sausages, just put them under the grill, keep turning until all sides are brown then remove to a plate for later.

Next. Fill a large pan with water and add a fair quantity of salt. Put it on the stove to boil the water (Some people like to add olive oil to the pan to prevent sticking but I don't bother...olive oil is expensive. Only use it where you need to.

While you're getting the water ready for your pasta chop and finally dice your onion and mince your garlic (either use a garlic press or do the chef method by finely chopping your garlic, pouring a bit of salt over it (to use as an abrasive) and then grind the garlic and salt with the flat of your knife.)

Now with your garlic and onion ready, put some olive oil in a clean, cold pan and add the onions and garlic immediately. Cook on a very low heat and stir occasionally. The idea is to cook the onions and garlic without colour until the onions are translucent. This is to remove the acidity and bring out the sweetness of the garlic and onions.

While your garlic and onions are sauteing gently in your pan, cut your streaky bacon into lardons. As you spot the onions going translucent throw in those lardons. Don't be tempted to add more oil at this point. As your bacon cooks it will render it's own fat, adding more oil will make your dish a bit too greasy.

Now that the bacon is rendering retrieve your browned sausages (NB. If you do try using a sausage like Chorizo ignore the browning stage and add at the same time as the bacon). Chop up your cooked sausages and then add the to your bacon, onions and garlic.

If you do have any tomato puree add a tablespoon now but stir it well in and let it cook out some of it's rawness, this is not an essential and can be left out but it does give your dish a bit of body if you have it.

After letting all your ingredients cook out add your tin of chopped tomatoes and jar of passata. Now add seasoning, grind in black pepper to taste (I like a lot but it's an individual thing, if you're not sure, just add a little. If you taste the dish later and it's not enough just add more. There's a golden rule in cooking...you can always add, you can never take away. Also add your chicken stock cube/stock pot now. Do not add salt at this point. There is plenty of sodium in the chicken stockcube/pot and also from the bacon. If it needs more salt it can be added later. Now let this gently simmer down, thickening the sauce as it reduces.

Your water should be boiling now for your pasta, different types require different length of times to cook, read the packet, they're usually pretty accurate.

While your pasta is boilng keep stirring your pan of sauce. Taste it regularly as it cooks down, that way you can understand what's actually going on during the cooking process. As this is going on if you feel it needs a little more salt to bring out the flavours then add a little at a time, your palate should be your guide. When your pasta is about 2 minutes from ready add a small handful of thyme sprigs to your sauce (If using dried use less as the flavour's a bit more concentrated).

When your pasta is ready drain it from the boiling water thoroughly then add it to your sauce, twist it into your sauce with tongs and then serve in a nice deep pasta bowl, grate over some cheese if you've got any and have some nice crusty bread to mop up the sauce at the end. And have a nice cheap bottle of red with it (You can imagine it's the finest Brunello di Montalcino if you wish.)

This recipe will serve 2-3 people and works out at probably less that 3 a head. It will seriously fill you up like all good pasta dishes.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #46
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

When I need to eat super cheap I turn to cabbage and onions and eggs. Saute a chopped onion in some butter or oil until it's brown, add water and some chopped cabbage (extra flavorings here could be stock, wine, beer instead of some of the water). Once it's boiling and the cabbage is however tender you want it drop an egg or two in, leaving them whole or breaking them up as suits you. A little tabasco or vinegar or soy helps change the flavor up.

Also I second or third or twentieth the beans (any legume) and rice suggestions. Investing in a rice cooker and a crock pot can really help in a dodgy kitchen (and can also be used in rooms other than the kitchen). Crock pots are great for slow cooking things like beans and also good for everything from soup to pot roast, I've even cooked meat loaf in one.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #47
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Cuban Beef stew - It initially might take a few dollars, but the quantity it makes it so worth it...it freezes incredibly well. In the end, it gives you probably 5 or 6 meals worth at around 2 dollars a pop and more meals if you stretched it with rice.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 tablespoon dry cilantro
2 1/2 pounds beef top round, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup dry Sherry (or any dry white wine)
4 large peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and white pepper

Hot sauce, for serving (ESSENTIAL)

Fresh lime slices, for serving (ESSENTIAL)

White rice, as an accompaniment

Directions
In a heavy skillet, heat oil and saute onions for 5 minutes. Add garlic, peppers, tomatoes, spices, and meat and saute for 5 more minutes. Add Sherry and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add potatoes and enough water to cover meat and potatoes. Let simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Splash a few drops of hot sauce into each bowl, serve with a slice of lime that can be squeezed through. Can be served with white rice.

You can adopt this to suit your financial needs...more potatoes, less meat, no meat (still good) more bell peppers, etc. The only thing I would say is really don't skimp on the lime juice or hot sauce...and I made this, could eat it everyday, but I did end up freezing it and definitely got 10 good sized meals out of it, with the rice.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #48
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Right, this may well be the simplest and possibly one of the cheapest meals yet in this thread.

Penne Arrabiata

You need :-

Penne Pasta (get Penne Rigate aka 'the one with ridges' preferably
2 Garlic Cloves
Dried Chilli Flakes
1 Can of Tomatoes
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Method.

1. first peel, then crush, then finely chop your garlic cloves. This is the most technically difficult part of the dish...ie, not diffcult at all. If it is too much for you, use a garlic press.

2. Add a good glug of olive oil to a saute pan. put the pan on a gentle heat.

3. Immediately add your garlic and chili flakes to the oil and stir. How much chilli flakes depends on how hot you like it. Let your own taste decide.

4. Let the garlic and chilli flakes infuse into your oil releasing their flavour. This should be a minute or two.

5. While this is going on, fill your favourite pasta pan with water, add salt, put it on a burner and bring to the boil.

6. Add your can of chopped tomatoes to the garlic and chilliflake flavoured oil in your saute pan. Season well with salt at this point. Add as much cracked black pepper as you like. I like a lot of zing so I put a lot of pepper in. Remember, if you taste it as the sauce cooks and it needs more, then add more. You can always add, never take away. Gently increase the heat and bring the sauce to a simmer. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken to amplify the flavours and create a silky texture.

7. Add your Penne to your boiling water, the aim is usually to cook it al dente but if you prefer it not to have a little bite then just leave it in longer, the choice is yours.

8. *optional step* When your Pasta only has a minute or two left to cook you can add herbs to your sauce. Which herbs are entirely up to you, I personally like parsley and thyme, I think they work well with the tomatoes in your arrabiatta sauce and the parsley will neutralise garlic breath. NB if using dried herbs use a smaller amount. Also, check your seasoning at this point. Not enough salt/pepper, now's your chance to add more. Taste again and make sure your happy. Keep stirring this sauce, don't let it stick.

9. Your pasta is cooked (either al dente or softer if you prefer). Strain it in a collander. Once you've drained it of water add your pasta to your saute pan and stir into the sauce.

Once the pasta is well coated in the sauce, plonk it in your favourite pasta bowl, grate over some pecorino or parmesan if you have either, get that cheap bottle of vino uncorked and enjoy a taste sensation. This may very well be the only vegetarian dish I cook. (You can add meat if you want though).

9. Now your pasta
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #49
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Right, this may well be the simplest and possibly one of the cheapest meals yet in this thread.
I get so turned on when guys talk about food
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #50
joemurphy
On Timeout

joemurphy can now change their title

Here are a few blog links for Cheap Eats:
http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
http://www.bloglander.com/cheapeats/
joemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote