Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #51
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontspeakespn View Post
I get so turned on when guys talk about food
Me, too! Except for me it happens when they talk about cooking food.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #52
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

One other thing to mention - when you're on a budget, it makes all the difference in the world *where* you buy your groceries. Melian mentioned buying produce in Chinatown - and I don't know what kinds of markets you have near you, but I do find that some of the bigger non-chain, culture-specific markets (like Mexican markets, Chinese markets, etc.) tend to have VERY cheap meat, potatoes, and produce compared to the main chain markets (at least here in my area). Then there are some grocery stores that mark down meat when it's at its "sell by" date, and you can always buy a bunch and freeze it for later.

If you get those random mailers with all the advertisements every week - with grocery store mailers and a bunch of others - it can be great just to glance through all of those and see which places are having crazy good deals on meat, fruit, vegetables, etc.

I end up saving a ton of money this way.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #53
Lastminute.Tom
Write on!

Lastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticed

I threw this awesome spicy bean dish together yesterday just using leftovers and a couple of random tins, we had
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
1 tin tomatoes
1 tin baked beans
1 tin chick peas
3 big cloves of garlic
chilli powder, five spice, oregano, salt pepper to taste

I started by halving the potatoes and then slicing them put them in the wok with a tiny bit of oil and chilli and put the garlic cloves whole on top while I prepared the rest of the ingredients

diced the onion, chucked that in after the potatoes had started to soften, then I drained the chick peas and not really knowing what to do with them I put them in a jug of hot water to soften a bit whilst I seasoned the potato and onion mixture,

once the garlic was soft enough I mashed it in to the mix with a fork and added the tomatoes chickpeas and baked beans, the tinned tomatoes made it pretty bitter so I added a healthy dollop of ketchup then I just adjusted the seasoning until it was to my liking and I served them in left over fajita wraps

we had with a dollop of mayo instead of sour cream and some people added relish or sauces to sweeten it but it was delicious without, we ran out of wraps pretty quick but we had the rest of the mix in pitta breads which're also pretty damn cheap, not including the seasoning I reckon that only set me back a few pounds and fed three of us heartily with some left over, pukka
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #54
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
Me, too! Except for me it happens when they talk about cooking food.
Yeah, that too, its very sexy when a man knows how to handle himself in the kitchen.

However, I also like the way Adam Richman on Man vs. Food talks about food...its like he's mention this ultra sensuous woman he wants to devour. I just want to have him over to taste my food and do that thing where he waves his head and goes 'mmmm MMMMM!!'
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I suggest either buying a whole chicken on sale and baking it yourself, and then using it for four different meals, as additions to things like Zataran's Red Beans & Rice, or their Carribean Rice -- both delicious. Save all of the bones and skin when you use the cut up chicken for recipes. Put it in a ziploc and put it back in the fridge.

Then, when the chicken is gone, you make this with the leftover carcass, bits of chicken and skin. I'm sorry, I don't measure when I'm cooking, and just kind of put things together..

My own quick and easy Chinese egg drop soup

I take a chicken carcass and make stock from it, using water, salt and pepper and garlic. Strain it and toss the bones and crap, then put the strained broth and whatever chicken, cut up, was able to be taken from the carcass, back into the pot with a bit of chicken bullion (if you have it). Bring it to a rolling boil.

Add a bit of sesame oil and a couple of beaten eggs to the boiling broth and chicken bits, and mix both in while stirring and stirring until eggs firm up. Serve with a bit of soy sauce. Yum.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #56
duraznos

duraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesduraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesduraznos can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

one of my favorite cheap chicken dishes is filipino chicken adobo -- i've made it like 3 times in the last month, lol.

3 lbs chicken thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
water
3 bay leaves
one onion sliced
2 tsps whole black peppercorns
head of garlic, peeled and crushed
lil bit of oil

brown the chicken in some oil in a big pot. add everything else (water to cover the chicken. bring to a boil, then turn down very low and let it simmer, covered, for 4 hours -- take the lid off for the last hour and turn up the heat for the last 20 minutes to reduce the sauce.

it's crazy good and crazy easy and crazy cheap. i like it over rice.
duraznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #57
StickMan
Two-Dimentional Character

StickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Short on extra virgin olive oil? Try using italian dressing! It usually has (low-grade) olive oil in it, but it's ironically cheaper than olive oil by the bottle. And it gives pasta a sort of vinegary tang that I, for one, love.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #58
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Do you and your roommates pool your food budgets? If not, it might be wise to talk to them, ban them from using the kitchen, and make larger meals for all of you. Have them help you clean it up in exchange. Also, we had neighbors that brought roaches with them, and we got those traps where they take it back to their young, and they all die.

My favorite cheap meal:

1 can tuna
1 bag .99 cent mixed veggies
Mayo or miracle whip (added for personal preference)
1 bag egg (or cheap preferenced) noodles
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Make noodles and cook the veggies. Drain the tuna, add to bowl with noodles, veggies, and mayo. Season to taste. Hardboiled eggs can also be added.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #59
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

A friend made a soup yesterday that was really hearty and cheap:

Meatball soup

Small meatballs (uncooked) (She used kafta(sp?) meatballs that she bought from a greek market days before and had sitting in her freezer, but I suppose any kind of flavor will do) ($4.00 for a large pack of ground beef)
rice (already in your kitchen probably)
spinach ($2 - $3 frozen or fresh)
fresh garlic or garlic powder (less than $1)
chicken boullion cube ($1.50)
water
lemon juice (about one or two tblsp or one whole lemon) ($1-$2)
salt
pepper
cumin
2 bay leaves (assuming these spices are already in your kitchen)

Fill a pot halfway with water. Drop meatballs in water, add buillion cube, salt pepper, garlic, bay leaf, and cumin. After the meatballs start to turn color add the spinach, and about a cup of rice (more if you want more rice), and lemon juice. Let simmer for about ten minutes. At this point meatballs that are big should be broken up into smaller pieces. Let the whole thing simmer on medium heat until rice is cooked. Total cooking time about 30 minutes. This was filling and delicious. There were three of us and enough soup for each of us to have three bowls throughout the whole day. This would last one person several days.

Total cost about $8-$10.

Because I now have a hankering for kale soup but need an even cheaper version than a $15 one:

Any kind of sausage (keilbasa $2.79)
1 can navy beans or red kidney beans ($1.50)
Kale ($3 a bunch)
rice or potatoes (I've already got rice in the pantry so I'm using that)
onion ($0.50)
spices are already in my cabinet

Total cost roughly $8 for a soup that will last for two or three days.

Last edited by olwen; 09-25-2011 at 11:44 AM.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #60
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
According to my roommate, the landlady's been promising to do something about the roaches for a minute now.

Anyway, I (usually) do all my grocery shopping on Mondays, so I'll get on the rice recipes and potatoes tomorrow.

As for tonight, I just realized five minutes ago that I have everything I need in the house for tacos. That'll be a good use for some of my remaining Defcorn, too.

Your landlady should be ashamed of herself. Roaches are disgusting, disease-ridden nasty little creatures and should be banished from the earth, nevermind your kitchen. Your roommates should be ashamed of themselves. 300 dollar rent or no, if they don't have respect for you enough to clean up after themselves then you should find somewhere else to live.

Back on topic:

My favorite cheap meal is curried chickpeas

1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 an onion, chopped
clove of garlic, grated (or minced, made into a paste with salt, whatever)
salt
pepper
curry powder to taste
garam masala, if you have it
rice
little bit of olive oil
pat of butter

Cook onion til soft in the olive oil. Add garlic. Then add tomato sauce and spices. Simmer a bit. Throw in the chickpeas. Simmer a bit more. Melt in the butter, serve over rice. Yummy and this lasts me 2-3 meals at least. Its INSANELY filling.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #61
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ungh, no bug talk. doesn't help.
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #62
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Double post, sorry.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 09-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #63
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sticky Chicken:

6-8 pieces of bone-in chicken of your choice
1 bottle (size of bottle depends on if you want lots of sauce or not) Catalina (also called Country French) salad dressing
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 jar (whatever size you like) apricot preserves.

(generic or store brand everything works just fine)

Preheat over to 325 F.
Place chicken closely together in a baking dish.
In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients, then pour over chicken.
Bake covered for an hour, then remove cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes.

Serve (with sauce) over rice of your choice.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #64
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Sticky Chicken:

6-8 pieces of bone-in chicken of your choice
1 bottle (size of bottle depends on if you want lots of sauce or not) Catalina (also called Country French) salad dressing
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 jar (whatever size you like) apricot preserves.

(generic or store brand everything works just fine)

Preheat over to 325 F.
Place chicken closely together in a baking dish.
In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients, then pour over chicken.
Bake covered for an hour, then remove cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes.

Serve (with sauce) over rice of your choice.
That sounds SO good!!! I might have to make that soon. I wonder if it would work with light dressing and sugar-free preserves.. hmmmmm.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #65
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie1653 View Post
That sounds SO good!!! I might have to make that soon. I wonder if it would work with light dressing and sugar-free preserves.. hmmmmm.
I made it yesterday with non-fat Catalina and sugar-free preserves and it was delicious.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #66
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I made it yesterday with non-fat Catalina and sugar-free preserves and it was delicious.
Do you use skinless chicken or with the skin on?
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #67
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
Do you use skinless chicken or with the skin on?
I keep the skin on and prefer bone-in chicken as well.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #68
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Cornflake Chicken

Do you have a blender? Then just buy a big box of store brand cornflakes and blend them (you might need to do it in two or three shots depending on the size of your blender) to the consistency of crumbs OR buy a box of Kelloggs corn flake crumbs (around $3.50 a box-this will last you two recipes at least)

6-8 pieces of your favorite kind of bone in chicken (I use legs and thighs)
1 bottle of Wish-Bone Robusto Italian dressing. (here is the only thing I will use the exact brand. I've tried others--it's NOT the same)
A box of corn flake crumbs or make them yourself as noted above.

Marinate the chicken in the salad dressing a minimum of 6 hours to overnight. Discard salad dressing when done. DO NOT REUSE.
Preheat oven to 350 F
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, put in crumbs (I'd say half the box) and toss two pieces of chicken at a time to thoroughly coat. Continue until all chicken is coated.
Place in baking dish and top the chicken and spaces in between with some of the remaining crumbs.
(It isn't necessary to cover the baking dish.)
Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes.
Serve over rice or any other favorite side starch.

PS-In a pinch, I tried this recipe with leftover Cap'n Crunch. It was DELICIOUS!!!!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #69
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We do something pretty simple to the above in terms of corn flake chicken, with the following differences:

- we use boneless chicken (have a kid who doesn't deal well with bones in his meat....but this does make it more expensive....cheapest is to use bone in).
- instead of salad dressing, we marinade/coat in a mix of yoghurt and hot dijon mustard (between 2-3 times more yoghurt than mustard)
- with boneless meat, doesn't take as long to cook (40 minutes or so?)

and to note, you can conveniently bake potatoes at the same time as the chicken is cokking, leaving you only vegetables to cook up.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #70
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

Kind of similar to Sticky Chicken Casting Pearls makes:

"Dump" Chicken

4-5 chicken breasts (I uses boneless skinless, could work with other cuts)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 small can sliced olives
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can artichokes
1 small can mushrooms
1 small bottle zesty Italian salad dressing
1c. white wine or apple juice

Heat oven to 400. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Sprinkle onion soup mix over chicken. Drain and dump the next four ingredients on top of that. In a separate bowl mix the salad dressing and wine (or juice). Pour over the top. Bake 45-60 minutes and serve over rice, pasta. It goes a long way, but it's really good.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #71
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Meat is often the most expensive part of one's grocery budget (especially for most guys). There are basically three ways around this:
1- eat more veggie based proteins (beans, lentils, etc)
2- find meals that make a little meat go a long way (doesn't really increase the protein, but your taste buds are happy)
3- find the cheapest meat possible, and learn to make it tasty (or at least edible).

Here are two tips on that last one:

1) Slow roasting:

Try and find a place that sells really cheap cuts of meat, like low grade utility chickens, beef brisket (I think that is the cut, super tough in general). This is the hard part...I'd check out little ethnic grocery stores, if there are any around, as they seem more likely to carry this sort of thing.

Then, you are going to cook it in the oven for 8 hours at 200F, or 10 hours at 175F. Yes, it will get cooked through at such a low temperature, but you need that crazy amount of time. The key is, it gets cooked below the boiling point of water, which will take even a really tough cut of meat and leave it tender.

Of course, it is still better to add some flavor, be it a couple of strips of bacon, a rub with barbecue sauce, or for a bit of a splurge rub it with balsamic glaze. You can cook potatoes and other root vegetables alonside it, but idealy you only throw those in part way through the process.

Obviously it takes a long time, but you don't have to pay it any attention, and you can cook up a fairly large amount of meat at one time, and have leftovers that you can slice up and have for lunch for days.

2) Liver.

Yah, I know, but here me out. If you are really cutting back on meat, liver is like concentrated meat, loaded with iron and protein. I found that if I rinsed it well then soaked it in water for a while, then cut it into strips, then fried it crispy with oil or butter, then loaded it up with salsa, I didn't notice the liver taste.....too much.

Now, some stores sell liver at fairly high prices, but the fact is that most people don't care for it, so if you look around you should be able to find it quite cheaply. I used to get pre-frozen slabs of it, that I could keep in the freezer for those days when I was dead broke.

And one more thing: If you can find this old, little, cookbook, it is a treasure trove of simple, hearty, generally cheap, eats: http://www.james-barber.com/tag/ging...makes-friends/ The author is James Barber AKA "The Urban Peasant," and he wrote plenty of other cookbooks, which are also good, but this was his first one with his time proven tasty, cheap, recipes. And it is illustrated with cartoons, so it is super easy to follow
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #72
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
2) Liver.

Yah, I know, but here me out. If you are really cutting back on meat, liver is like concentrated meat, loaded with iron and protein. I found that if I rinsed it well then soaked it in water for a while, then cut it into strips, then fried it crispy with oil or butter, then loaded it up with salsa, I didn't notice the liver taste.....too much.
... this is so true!

Liver-phobia is a North American pet peeve - get over it!

Here some Transatlantic suggestions:
Get either chicken or veal liver - they are the tastiest and tenderest (and chicken tends to be real cheap).

Rinse well, dry well and then turn in a little flower. Fry in a mixture of butter and olive oil (taste and texture-wise best).
Do not salt until after frying - otherwise it will turn hard and coarse!

Italian style: fry together with fresh sage and then add Marsala or Port to finish cooking it in, also some dried tomatoes if you like.
Nice with gnocchi or pasta and broccoli.

Dutch style: fry with onion rings and then add thinly sliced apples shortly before liver is done. Serve with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.

Bon appetit!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #73
Heyyou
On Timeout

Location: Get a map, connect the dots, draw a horsie, throw a dart. 82% chance i been there or live there now.
Heyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Hope this helps

Ive been here before, and im presently in same situation, "brokeass eating." Its true, Ramen noodles are your friend. Health be damned! They fill you up. Just a bit too salty.

Also, +1 to mcbeth. Find a CHEAP grocery! Some stores have lower prices than you think. Did you ever think how these stores PAY for that big, huge store? The location? The ADVERTISING? It all filters down, somehow. Walmart is a big heavyweight in there now. Winn-Dixie is TOO TOO EXPENSIVE only thing i used to buy from them is meat, probably still.. i found bargains at a store that had changed its name. You really CAN get ripped off buying at the wrong place. (And people forget, Target has groceries too. DO NOT buy food at Kmart unless you want to get ripped. Not sure why Kmart is still around, i worked for them...) - let me remain focused on the topic.

And, as i just did, go to a FOOD PANTRY! Tomorrow, the pantry (food bank) is havding out ONE BOX OF FOOD PER MONTH (they made this change 4 days ago, im still not missing out i get one box.) Its a ding to pride, yea, and be prepared ot have your ID (they make a record of you so you dont get like 10 boxes of food, as was clearly happening, thats anywhere) and save, save, save.

You can pay anywhere from $100 to $300 extra per month if you dont do these things. Easily.

I live at a Motel and im telling you this, ive been around. Food is the achilles heel of where I am and this is my experience. I have no kitchen. I DO have a fridge and microwave (why? lol) so i will fill the fridge with meat, and buy a Foreman grill so i can cook burgers. This will be how i save money once i get the money to buy the grill that plugs in to the wall.............

Hope this helps.
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #74
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

The way to take advantage of the bigger stores is to get the meat when it's the loss leader at the grocery store and learn to freeze it for cooking later.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #75
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

I don't know if I missed anyone mentioning it, but crock-pots or slow cookers are relatively cheap and most recipes found online are easy. In a nutshell, you throw ingredients in, plug it in, and wait (or do other productive stuff) 4-8 hours depending on what you're making. The great thing about slow cookers is that you can use cuts of meat that aren't considered prime which are much more expensive and you can save a lot of money. There are also great vegetarian dishes available as well.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me