Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #76
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Meat is often the most expensive part of one's grocery budget (especially for most guys). There are basically three ways around this:
1- eat more veggie based proteins (beans, lentils, etc)
2- find meals that make a little meat go a long way (doesn't really increase the protein, but your taste buds are happy)
3- find the cheapest meat possible, and learn to make it tasty (or at least edible).
Speaking of cheap cuts of meat, pork loin is often the cheapest meat where I shop. I buy a big one then multi use it:

Cut off a chunk to brine and roast.

Cut off some chops to pan fry with a light coating (not too thick of a cut, they can be tough).

Run the rest through my meat grinder with some bacon and spices for home-made sausage that's lean even with the bacon (pork loin is super lean) and has less preservatives.

Last edited by Carl1h; 09-27-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: forgot that the bacon brings some preservatives with it.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #77
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
2) Liver.

Yah, I know, but here me out. If you are really cutting back on meat, liver is like concentrated meat, loaded with iron and protein. I found that if I rinsed it well then soaked it in water for a while, then cut it into strips, then fried it crispy with oil or butter, then loaded it up with salsa, I didn't notice the liver taste.....too much.

Now, some stores sell liver at fairly high prices, but the fact is that most people don't care for it, so if you look around you should be able to find it quite cheaply. I used to get pre-frozen slabs of it, that I could keep in the freezer for those days when I was dead broke.
Liver's A-ok in my book. I'm not a fan of Pig's liver but Lamb's liver is an awesome meat for cheap eating. I generally do the classic liver and onions. Simple, cheap, quick and tasty.

How to make Liver and onions.

First up...your liver. If you find it's too strong a taste for you place your liver in a bowl containing milk, this will draw out some of the blood reducing the bitterness.

Step 2. Chop up a nice big white Onion into Slices, not dice. Just take the top off, peel it, cut in half and slice away.

Now get your favourite frying/saute pan. Chuck in a heroic amounto fo butter. Melt that butter until it's foaming and your pan is hot.

Throw in your onions and start stirring like crazy as you fry them on a high heat. Don't allow them to sit still or they'll scorch. Keep cooking and stirring until they're a delightful nutty brown caramel colour and soft. Strain the butter and onions into a collander catching the butter in a bowl beneath. Retain this, you can use a bit of this butter later for the liver and help the onion flavour carry through.

Now return your strained onions to your saute pan, splash in a little red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar. Stir the vinegar well into your onions. Place your onions in the middle of a warm plate.

Now the liver. Remove your liver from the milk bowl. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel. Now season both sides of your liver and then coat in plain flour.

Prepare your pan. Put it on a medium high heat. Add a tiny bit of the butter you retained from your onions (just enough to prevent your liver sticking in the pan. When your pan is back up to temperature. Pick up your liver from the flour, shake off any excess and place in the pan. If your pan is the right temperature cook it for a minute on each side or until the blood just starts to pierce the surface. If your pan is too hot it will scorch your flour and burn, too cold and it will become soggy. Once your Liver is done, place on top of the onions then eat and enjoy.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #78
sw33tness3

sw33tness3 can now change their title

I wasn't a fan of liver and onions growing up.. but I guess it grew on me. Still not a favorite, but I'll eat it on occasion. I make it similar to MrBob but what I do after frying the liver(beef liver, I usually cut it up in either thin strips or small pieces), put the onions back in the pan with the liver, pour the extra flour from coating the liver into the pan too and add water(or wine or some other liquid) to make a gravy then cook for a while. Its good with fried potatoes.

kraft mac and cheese-quick and easy. I add a few slices of american cheese to make it cheesier. sometimes add a can of drained tuna or some browned hamburger meat.

tuna salad sandwich-drain a small can of tuna and mix it with mayo, a lil mustard, chopped up then mashed with a fork boiled eggs and some shredded lettuce, add salt/pepper to taste. eat it outta the bowl or put it on some bread.

bowl of cereal lol. Malt-O-Meal cereals taste almost the same as name brand ones.... and they are cheaper per ounce.

club crackers deli meat/summer sausage/whatever and cheese sandwiches.

hamburger helper... or this:
homemade lasagna hamburger helper-
cook some wide egg noodles to al dente(almost done) then drain.
brown 1lb of hamburger meat with some chopped onion then drain the grease and add some spaghetti sauce mix or italian spices. Add a small can of tomato sauce and cook for 5-10 mins or till it thickens/cooks down just a lil bit. Mash up about a cup of cottage cheese and mix with about a cup of sour cream then add to the meat mixture and add the cooked noodles. Mix it all up and put in a casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheese on top then bake in the oven 350 degrees for about 30 mins or until bubbly on the sides and heated throughout.
sw33tness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #79
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I don't know if I missed anyone mentioning it, but crock-pots or slow cookers are relatively cheap and most recipes found online are easy. In a nutshell, you throw ingredients in, plug it in, and wait (or do other productive stuff) 4-8 hours depending on what you're making. The great thing about slow cookers is that you can use cuts of meat that aren't considered prime which are much more expensive and you can save a lot of money. There are also great vegetarian dishes available as well.
I adore my slow cooker. And the reason you can use the lower cuts of meat and still have a tasty experience is because of the long slow cook, which breaks down the fibers that might be tough in other cooking methods. It's also good with meats that are still on the bone for the same reason.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #80
That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging inThat Guy You Met Once makes people happy simply by logging in

Sam's Club sells pre-cooked shredded barbecue chicken marinated in Jack Daniel's. It's $10, but you get a lot.

With lettuce, tomato, onion, mayonnaise, and Jack cheese, it makes the greatest sandwich you will ever taste.

Last edited by That Guy You Met Once; 02-06-2012 at 09:21 PM.
That Guy You Met Once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #81
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw33tness3 View Post
I wasn't a fan of liver and onions growing up.. but I guess it grew on me. Still not a favorite, but I'll eat it on occasion. I make it similar to MrBob but what I do after frying the liver(beef liver, I usually cut it up in either thin strips or small pieces), put the onions back in the pan with the liver, pour the extra flour from coating the liver into the pan too and add water(or wine or some other liquid) to make a gravy then cook for a while. Its good with fried potatoes.

kraft mac and cheese-quick and easy. I add a few slices of american cheese to make it cheesier. sometimes add a can of drained tuna or some browned hamburger meat.

tuna salad sandwich-drain a small can of tuna and mix it with mayo, a lil mustard, chopped up then mashed with a fork boiled eggs and some shredded lettuce, add salt/pepper to taste. eat it outta the bowl or put it on some bread.

bowl of cereal lol. Malt-O-Meal cereals taste almost the same as name brand ones.... and they are cheaper per ounce.

club crackers deli meat/summer sausage/whatever and cheese sandwiches.

hamburger helper... or this:
homemade lasagna hamburger helper-
cook some wide egg noodles to al dente(almost done) then drain.
brown 1lb of hamburger meat with some chopped onion then drain the grease and add some spaghetti sauce mix or italian spices. Add a small can of tomato sauce and cook for 5-10 mins or till it thickens/cooks down just a lil bit. Mash up about a cup of cottage cheese and mix with about a cup of sour cream then add to the meat mixture and add the cooked noodles. Mix it all up and put in a casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheese on top then bake in the oven 350 degrees for about 30 mins or until bubbly on the sides and heated throughout.
LUCKY you that tuna, mayo, sour cream and deli meats are all broke ass ingredients there. The tuna, cream and the deli meats in particular are pricy here in the UK.

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 02-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #82
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Homemade chicken soup is great if you don't have a lot of money, and it's good comfort food.

If you want to make chicken stock ahead of time ala Julia Child, get a package of gizzards and a package of drumsticks, or something else with bones. Drumsticks and gizzards are usually inexpensive, so that's what I get for making chicken stock.

Dump the gizzards and drumsticks into a pot of water. Add some onions, celery, and carrots chopped up. Also add some spices like basil, parsley, and thyme. A bay leaf doesn't hurt. Add a little salt & pepper if you like. A spoonful or two of butter helps as well.

Cook up the broth until the meat is done. Strain it into a container. Save the meat from the drumsticks for later and the veggies, you can freeze them. Throw the drumstick bones away, or give them to your dog as a treat if you have one.

Freeze the broth separately. This is your chicken stock for cooking if you want to use it as such.

If you don't like gizzards, throw them out. They just add character to the broth. They should be fairly soft with all the cooking, but some people don't like them anyway. The more bones, the better for adding flavor to the broth. Chicken livers would probably also work.

When you feel like making the chicken soup, add the broth, leftover meat and veggies. Boil in a pot. Add egg noodles at the very end because they expand a lot. I mean a lot; don't make chicken soup with egg noodles in a crock pot unless you like really huge noodles. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited by EMH1701; 02-09-2012 at 06:08 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #83
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Meat is often the most expensive part of one's grocery budget (especially for most guys). There are basically three ways around this:
1- eat more veggie based proteins (beans, lentils, etc)
2- find meals that make a little meat go a long way (doesn't really increase the protein, but your taste buds are happy)
3- find the cheapest meat possible, and learn to make it tasty (or at least edible).
I have noticed that chicken is often less expensive than red meat.

If you are really craving red meat, go for the ground beef. It's usually less expensive than other types.

It depends on the store, but some grocery stores sell their private label meat for a lot less than name brand, and you can find good private label meat. But it all depends on the store and their quality.

Also, I reiterate my earlier post about chili. Use lots of beans and little meat, and you can save money. Plus, if you make it spicy, you won't be missing the meat as much. You can add chunkier veggies such as zucchini and eggplant into chili, and use the big tomatoes cut into chunks instead of the canned variety, for texture.

Last edited by EMH1701; 02-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote