Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
BigCutieQTPie
Super Size Senior Member

BigCutieQTPie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieQTPie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Question Chorizo???

Yes I must admit it I am a Food Network junkie. Everyday in my kitchen I am on Chopped. So tonight I made lasagna topped with chorizo. Why you might ask because I thought it would work. Umm? Not!

So what should I do with this expensive Chorizo I bought from the Portuguese store?

Help?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCutieQTPie View Post
Yes I must admit it I am a Food Network junkie. Everyday in my kitchen I am on Chopped. So tonight I made lasagna topped with chorizo. Why you might ask because I thought it would work. Umm? Not!

So what should I do with this expensive Chorizo I bought from the Portuguese store?

Help?
Is it the dried kind or the ground kind?
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
BigCutieQTPie
Super Size Senior Member

BigCutieQTPie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieQTPie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Is it the dried kind or the ground kind?
It's dried and huge!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
It's dried and huge!
You could still dice it up and scramble it in some eggs and make breakfast burritos. Chunk it up in lentils or fry it up with some potatoes!

You could slice it really thin and put it on pizza. Or, you can ship it in some dry ice to me lol

ETA you can try foodgawker.com and type in chorizo in the search box. Tons of great blogs and recipes that use it! With pictures!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Slice it really thin and fry it and a little bit of chopped onion in some olive oil and mix into some yellow or Spanish rice mix and maybe some sweet frozen peas.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Slice it really thin and fry it and a little bit of chopped onion in some olive oil and mix into some yellow or Spanish rice mix and maybe some sweet frozen peas.
I just about live on chorizo as a breakfast food,or in a queso flameado dish,but this sounds like a recipe I must try.I have a huge love for chorizo.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
I just about live on chorizo as a breakfast food,or in a queso flameado dish,but this sounds like a recipe I must try.I have a huge love for chorizo.
Let me know how you like it.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Let me know how you like it.
Will do.I was already planning a trip to the Mexican market Saturday to get the good chorizo as well as pre seasoned fajitas and barbacoa.Now I'm gonna have to go.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hmm.. I wondered about slicing it like pepperoni for pizza.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Make a rice pot. (there are a few dishes in spain that all ahve the same basic idea.)

Roughly speaking (and I'm sure there are all sorts of variants on this) put a bit of (olive) oil in a a large pot that can go in the oven, ideally heat up a few strands of saffron in it if you have some, then add dry rice and stir it around until well coated. Add liquid like you normally would for rice (2:1 ratio for most rice), but can use some broth in place of water if you have it. Can mix in some frozen peas or other frozen vegetables. Lay the sliced up chorizo around the top, along with whatever other protein you may want to add that is not as spicy (diced chicken or shellfish are the classics). Put the lid in, and put it in the oven. (can add other spicing in there if you want)

From memory I think we do about an hour at 350F for the amount we normally make, but I might be off. Basically until the water is all soaked up by the rice. Near the end can take the lid off to let the top brown a bit if you want.

The flavor from the chorizo soaks into the rice, helping make the whole thing yummy
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Chorizo and white bean stew i found this on the jamie oliver site and its heaven, I get two meals out of it with crusty baby rolls or its supposed to do four as an entree

2 chorizo sliced

1 can of crushed/diced tomatos

1 can of white beans ( we call them butter and I know they also have another name but cant think of it)

1 small onion diced

1-2 cloves of garlic minced or chopped

1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (or normal if you cant get smoked I diddn't have any for ages and honestly its great with the extra but you don't super notice it not there)

my additions

half a dozen sliced sundried tomatos
and a handfull of kalamata olives

Its pretty simple

just make sure you use a frying pan you have a lid for

slice you chorizo and fry it to allow the fats to release into the pan flip them over and make sure they go crispy and then put them on some paper towel to drain and fry the garlic and onion in the chorizo oil until they get a little colour and are transluscent add back the chorizo, pour in the tomatos and drained can of beans (I actually mush mine up with a fork I find their texture far to dry otherwise but you can leave them whole its just my preference if your mashing them add a little extra water as they will suck up the tomato juice), add in your olives and sundried tomatoes if you have them turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 20mins stirring occassionally, serve with crusty fresh bread rolls or some sort of yummy bread stick and enjoy

I have also used the leftover with a little more tomatoes added and a little water to make a wonderful pasta sauce as well
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's a really easy recipe that tastes good: it's also a good way to use up leftover chicken, if you have any.

2 cups red potatoes, peeled, quartered, and boiled
1 Tbsp cooking oil (I prefer olive or peanut)
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped chorizo
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken
1 cup chicken or veggie broth (or water)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion until the onion is translucent. Add the chorizo, garlic, and chicken. Add the broth, stirring to thin the chorizo into a gravy. Add the potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour into a greased baking dish and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
FAinPA
This Darkness Got to Give

FAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I was at a restaurant recently and had grit cakes with chorizo/cilantro gravy. I know that like 10% of the population lacks an enzyme and they taste cilantro as if it were metal. Anyway, the dish looked very easy to recreate at home. I'm guessing you cook grits with a little less water so that they are stickier. Then mold them into little cakes, light breading or corn meal, pan fry them; the gravy was cooked chorizo with some of the fat drippings left in it, some hot sauce, cilantro, whatever you want to season it with...there might have been something else in it but it was overpowered by the other flavors. I had two eggs on the side as it was a breakfast dish.
Just wanted to share since I saw a chorizo thread.

Moreover, I love the scene in Midnight Run where Charles Grodin and Robert DeNiro are at the diner in the southwest and Grodin wants chorizo and eggs but DeNiro wants coffee and smokes. I never heard of chorizo until seeing that
FAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just recently discovered dried chorizo. Up until now, chorizo to me was only the soft uncooked sausage, sold in a casing or tube, that I bought to cook and and add to breakfast tacos. But, the Kroger store I go to started stocking some aged and dried chorizo alongside pepperoni and salami in the deli case. I bought a link with the intention of using it on a pizza instead of pepperoni, but it never made it to the pizza. I just enjoyed slicing it into little rounds, and snacking on it with olives and cheese.

I'd been wondering what else I could do with it.

Tracy
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
MisticalMisty

I plan on stuffing mushrooms with some this week! I can't wait.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

cook it with 3 or 4 scrambled eggs in a big pan.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hmm! I'm Portuguese, but my family was always more into linguica (which they put in/on EVERYTHING... it's actually very good on pizza) than chourico. Linguica is, like, the gift everyone seems to give each other and the official food of family reunions in my family.

Chourico is really excellent w/ eggs/breakfast stuff, as has been said already. Personally, I usually prefer sausage of any kind just by itself, with a very mild pasta or something on the side... just to compliment the stronger tastes of the sausage, without competing with it.

Of course, it seems like Portuguese foods reeeally vary in flavour depending on where you live... I guess nobody agrees on the spicing.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Linguica versus Chorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavixen View Post
...my family was always more into linguica...
How would you, just-generally, characterize the difference between the two? No matter what I put it in or how I cut-it up, I like it to be pretty spicy and with a little bit of natural-casing in each bite...and carmelized-some?
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #19
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Go to the brokeass eating thread, see my pasta recipe. I sometimes put Chorizo in this and it's delicious.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
Linda
Just Chillaxin.

Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We chop chorizo and put them in our homemade refried beans. Also add some spices like Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, a little garlic, salt and pepper in with the beans.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics
Default so many uses, so little time

Quote:

Help?
Well, there's a couple of things you can do (I'm assuming this is cured chorizo, and not uncooked, soft chorizo, but if it is, I'll address that)

Tapas (small Spanish dishes for sharing): Slice chorizo and quickly saute in a little olive oil and a few smashed garlic cloves, then add some hearty red wine to the pan and let the alcohol pretty much steam out. Serve with crusty bread.

Tapas 2: Use it in paella, I really love a mixed meat paella with chicken and chorizo and shrimp

Southern (U.S.) Paella: red or black beans with rice, mojo chicken breast chunks (recipes for mojo marinades are easy to find), grilled garlic shrimp and slices of fried chorizo, covered with melted cheddar. Not a healthy dish, I grant you, but damn good. This is based off of something I ate in the Kool Beanz restaurant in Tallahassee once....4 years later and I still remember the dish.

If your chorizo is uncooked, you can cook it and chop it up as you would ground beef and use it in breakfast tacos with eggs, or actually use it with ground beef for more flavorful regular tacos. I've even seen someone make chorizo meatball soup once, and it looked pretty good (never tried it though).

Chorizo is really easy to work with, I think just starting with a basic online search is a good way to get started.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
How would you, just-generally, characterize the difference between the two? No matter what I put it in or how I cut-it up, I like it to be pretty spicy and with a little bit of natural-casing in each bite...and carmelized-some?
It really depends on where you get your sausage, who's making it, etc., but... linguica is *generally* coarser than chourico, and it has a richer flavour, IMO. Spanish chorizo is usually spicier... I think Brazilians might actually refer to linguica as chourico? So if it's Brazilian chourico there might be zero difference, But I have never had it, so I don't know.

I generally find that paprika is more dominant in the flavour of chourico than it is with linguica, although I believe that both use pretty much the same spices.

When my grandmother made sausage, linguica would be smokier and I think it had more wine. So I associate linguica with a stronger, fuller flavour than chourico, and with somewhat less spiciness.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote