Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Weight Gain Help?

I hope this is the correct thread to post this in....

This information is for my boyfriend, not me. He's 6'3 and weighs now 172 after an 8 pound drop over this last month. He's always had a hard time keeping weight on himself because of his metabolism. It bothers him to be so thin and he'd ideally like to be around 185ish.

I looked around the boards a bit to see if I could find HEALTHY ways for him to gain weight, but a lot are suggesting cheesecake, fries and burgers. He doesn't like those (and neither do I but maybe once a month) because of how much processing and junk are in those foods.

Does anyone have suggestions? There have to be more options out there than what I already know. I'm hoping to gather up all the information that I can possibly gather. Recipes would be a plus!

Here's what I know:

Peanutbutter, nuts, trail mixes, juices, bananas, raisins, dates, wheat germ, ground flax seed, hot cereals, pancakes, canola and olive oil, proteins (beans, meats), tofu, potato, pasta, rice, corn, whole grains, legumes, seeds, avocados, olives, dairy, salmon, butter, creamed soups, milk powder, fruit smoothies.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Out of curiosity...what does he do for activity? Does he lift weights? If not, I would suggest he try that- but just do the basics like benches, squats, presses, etc. Lower rep, and less than an hour each workout, rather than high-rep, high intensity. That way, he can put on some size and get some added strength too. If he has a fast metabolism, he might as well put the healthy food to good use and build up some muscle. Plus, he'll probably be able to eat more...

The foods you listed below are a good start, and I'm personally a big fan of coconut oil if you're looking for healthy oils...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Enough of almost any food should result in weight gain....if your body will permit it (as hard as it can be for some of us to lose weight, others have that much trouble gaining weight). So my first question is: has he tried simply eating more, and if so and it hasn't worked so well, why not? Does he simply forget? Can he only eat so much at a time before he can't stand another bite? Does eating much more over the course of a day leave him feeling poorly?

If he forgets to eat, then when he does, I guess you try to increase the calories he takes in. Add in some extra oils on the veggies, maybe give him higher fat milk, somewhat larger servings of everything, and extra scoop of rice or an extra piece of (whole wheat) bread and butter, etc.

If he really can't/won't eat much at one sitting, then maybe work on more frequent eating? Buy or make muffins and make sure he has one with him at work/school to have mid-morning, have him eat a small bowl of cereal before bed, maybe some yoghurt when he first gets home in the afternoon/evening, etc.

If he really has trouble taking in more overall, the one thing that I've heard of that will give calories without your body really noticing is clear, sweet, liquids. You obviously want to use that in moderation, due to the extra sugar, but a good sized glass of apple juice at the end of a meal once or twice a day might help? (I suggest at the end of a meal so that there has been some fibre to help balance out the sugar). But that is basically liquid candy, so you don't want to use too much.

Good luck with working something out!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on

Hey guys, thank you both for the good bits of advice.

To MattB: He currently doesn't do any sort of weight lifting, although that's something I have mentioned to him in the past. He went back home this weekend to his parent's and I'm hoping he comes back with some of his brother's weights. As for coconut oil, I almost forgot you could cook with that stuff! I've used it in soap making, but not cooking. I'll see about finding some and some recipes to make use of it.

To Tad: He can pack away an impressive meal, so portion isn't a problem. But thinking of this now, I don't think he eats as often as he should throughout the day. I'm trying to get to a more comfortable weight, so we usually end up with only 1 cooked meal a day and the rest is kind of nibbling so I don't know how much he's really eating in a day. I really like the apple juice suggestion, we'll probably have to look into that as well.

We don't have a scale right now to weigh him and see if there's any progress, but I hope there is some. I'm hoping we can get a scale bought come Sunday/Monday.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One big meal per day is not healthy for either of you. More smaller meals would benefit you, and more larger meals would benefit him. Eating more times in a day increases your metabolism, so if you want to gain you have to add more calories. For you to lose weight, keep your calorie count the same and spread it over more meals. You can still eat together, it's just a matter of portion size for each of you.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
*Goofy*Girl*
Kimmy

*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed*Goofy*Girl* never has a post go unnoticed

Go to GNC and get some of those weight-gaining shakes.
That should do it.
*Goofy*Girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
rootrp35

rootrp35 can now change their title

A pasta diet seems to work very well. My wife has gained over 60lbs in the last six months by eating a large portion of pasta fro dinner followed by desert. This is on top of eating more throughout the day of course, but the pasta seemed to seal the deal.
rootrp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I second the liquid calories suggestion. Flavoured milk and drinking yogurt, though not as easy to digest as clear sweet fruit juices are also fairly calorie dense.

If he likes savoury stuff, cheeses and nuts are excellent and go well enough with sweet dried fruit. My favourite of late is peanut M&Ms, perfectly sweet, salty, protein in the nut means less of a sugar spike, not as cloying as chocolate alone and easy to snack on. I can't stomach huge amounts of food and don't even have a sweet tooth, but I could quite easily put away 1kg of that in a day and that is an easy 5000+ calories.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
rootrp35

rootrp35 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
I second the liquid calories suggestion. Flavoured milk and drinking yogurt, though not as easy to digest as clear sweet fruit juices are also fairly calorie dense.

If he likes savoury stuff, cheeses and nuts are excellent and go well enough with sweet dried fruit. My favourite of late is peanut M&Ms, perfectly sweet, salty, protein in the nut means less of a sugar spike, not as cloying as chocolate alone and easy to snack on. I can't stomach huge amounts of food and don't even have a sweet tooth, but I could quite easily put away 1kg of that in a day and that is an easy 5000+ calories.
I would have to agree, though my wife isn't a fan of nuts, I enjoy them very much. I think they account for my ten pound weight gain in the last month more than anything,
rootrp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post

If you like dark chocolate, see if you can find dark chocolate M&Ms. Less sweet than the standard M&M, making them more savory. They can be hard to find here in the states, so I don't know if you'll be able to find them overseas. I pounce on them when I find them, they are fabulous.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
toomuchtoomuch

toomuchtoomuch has said some nice things

Lol you listed like every food that exists. I couldn't think of anything else... Great
toomuchtoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
AtlantisAK

Well, good news, he's up to 185-190, which is perfect for him. He's now fussing that he wants to tone up and get more shape, but he's only doing cardio. Wouldn't a combination of cardio and weights help with that?