Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Linda
Just Chillaxin.

Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Meatloaf Sides

Meatloaf is such a comfort food to us. We love it but haven't had it in awhile. Now when I make meatloaf I usually make it with mashed potatoes, a brown gravy, peas and a cold, green bean salad. But we have a new member of our family who doesn't like peas and I am looking to change things up on this old classic.

What kind of sides can I add to a meatloaf dinner?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For me, growing up it was meatloaf, mashed potatoes (usually on top of the meatloaf) and corn.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like corn also. Corn souffle is great too. Spinach (creamed. steamed, sauteed...it's all good!) Sauteed collard or mustard greens with some bacon and onions. Fresh asparagus spears (grilled, steamed or sauteed) curry or orange glazed carrots. Braised endive or braised brussels sprouts. Rice pilaf, quinoa or couscous are different starch substitutes as is au gratin potatoes with fried onion strings...The list is endless.

Have fun!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Same here, Becky. Mashed taters is a must to soak up the gravy. Corn or peas are optional.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
I like corn also. Corn souffle is great too. Spinach (creamed. steamed, sauteed...it's all good!) Sauteed collard or mustard greens with some bacon and onions. Fresh asparagus spears (grilled, steamed or sauteed) curry or orange glazed carrots. Braised endive or braised brussels sprouts. Rice pilaf, quinoa or couscous are different starch substitutes as is au gratin potatoes with fried onion strings...The list is endless.

Have fun!
I agree VG, but where are the photos? The mods shouldn't allow you to post without those awesome photos.

- Jim
Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
I agree VG, but where are the photos? The mods shouldn't allow you to post without those awesome photos.

- Jim
From a couple of years ago. Made the curried carrots for the vegetable side, but didn't feature them in the picture

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...postcount=1559
Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Same here, Becky. Mashed taters is a must to soak up the gravy. Corn or peas are optional.
Surprisingly, there wasn't any gravy. Just meatloaf and mashed on top of the meatloaf and cheese on top of the taters. And home froze creamed corn which consisted of half&half and butter, cooked until yummy then frozen for future meals. good stuff
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Potatoes seem to be the old standby, not just mashed, but also scalloped or au gratin. I'd go as far to say hashbrowns.

With milk gravy, like chicken fried steak. Or a tomato based sauce a la swiss steak. or would that be creole meatloaf with tomato gravy. Hmm.

What was the question again?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
From a couple of years ago. Made the curried carrots for the vegetable side, but didn't feature them in the picture

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...postcount=1559
Fuck. Guess you should be careful what you wish for. It 9:30PM here and I'm off to raid the fridge. . .
Old 09-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Linda
Just Chillaxin.

Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Linda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You guys are awesome!! I am going to make scalloped potatoes and corn casserole and make a cucumber-tomatoe salad on the side with a red wine/olive oil dressing.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW View Post
Surprisingly, there wasn't any gravy. Just meatloaf and mashed on top of the meatloaf and cheese on top of the taters. And home froze creamed corn which consisted of half&half and butter, cooked until yummy then frozen for future meals. good stuff
No gravy? NO GRAVY? The body snatchers must 'of put one of them pods down next to you, Becky!

Oh well. The corn sounded really good.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
For me, growing up it was meatloaf, mashed potatoes (usually on top of the meatloaf) and corn.
Quote:
I like corn also. Corn souffle is great too.
I'll bet Defcorn V would be great with meat loaf! (Do a search for it on this forum)
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I use the recipe on the side of the Lipton Secrets Onion soup mix box and never need gravy. It is delicious and the only meatloaf recipe that made hubby ask for it again (and again and again). We eat our meatloaf with (gasp!) Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, any flavor, they need no addition to taste great and frozen corn. The only reason we don't have it more often is that I wait until the meat goes on sale and then make two 2lb. meatloaves. We eat the first one in two days and I slice the second one and freeze with waxed paper between the slices. Now I am totally craving meatloaf.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Linda
Just Chillaxin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
I use the recipe on the side of the Lipton Secrets Onion soup mix box and never need gravy. It is delicious and the only meatloaf recipe that made hubby ask for it again (and again and again). We eat our meatloaf with (gasp!) Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, any flavor, they need no addition to taste great and frozen corn. The only reason we don't have it more often is that I wait until the meat goes on sale and then make two 2lb. meatloaves. We eat the first one in two days and I slice the second one and freeze with waxed paper between the slices. Now I am totally craving meatloaf.

I love Lipton Soup meatloaf!! So yummy. I also put it into my burgers when I'm grilling.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

Quote:
No gravy? NO GRAVY? The body snatchers must 'of put one of them pods down next to you, Becky!

Oh well. The corn sounded really good.
Are you talking gravy for the taters or gravy for meatloaf. Because if they are made right, I "CAN" eat taters without gravy. Gravy is good, no doubt but if the taters are good, gravy can be omitted.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I was thinking about gravy for the meatloaf and agree that good mashed taters don't really REQUIRE gravy, but:

(This is not my photo.) - Jim
Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I like to take baby carrots and cook them in a bit of water, butter, honey, dried dill, and a light sprinkling of salt and powdered ginger, just until a bit soft.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

Quote:
I was thinking about gravy for the meatloaf and agree that good mashed taters don't really REQUIRE gravy, but:

(This is not my photo.) - Jim
I have to confess, I've never had meatloaf with gravy!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Linda
Just Chillaxin.

Quote:
I have to confess, I've never had meatloaf with gravy!!!

try it!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
joemurphy
On Timeout

joemurphy can now change their title
Default Meatloaf Sides

Peas with mushrooms make a nice side with meatloaf:

1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 10 ounce package thawed frozen peas or 1 can
1 5 ounces sliced mushrooms or one small can
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pinch black pepper

Directions

Melt butter or heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the peas and mushrooms, then season with salt, thyme and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook just until heated through.
joemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So many people mentioned mashed potatoes as a side dish for meatloaf that I got to thinking about colcannon, a traditional Scots dish of mashed potato with sauteed onion and cabbage. I think it would be a great accompaniment to meatloaf, and -- since you bake it -- you could probably pop it into the oven with your loaf and time it so everything is ready at once! I think colcannon got a couple of mentions in a thread here a year ago, but if you don't find it, you can pm me for my own recipe.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

So I had to have meatloaf this week. I had been wanting it, and this thread made me want if for sure.

I served it the first time around with macaroni and cheese and steamed broccoli. The second time I served it with TGIFridays potato skins with cheese and bacon.

And in between I ate the warmed up leftovers on white bread with ketchup.

It is all gone and I miss it very much. I love meatloaf.