Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in
Default homemade mustard

Anyone making their own mustard? I have been making some and I have been pretty happy with the results except that I haven't quite gotten the vinegar background tang that I want. As far as price goes, it probably doesn't cost me much more than a buck to make a cup of mustard.

Here's what I have so far:
A cup of mustard seeds
1/4 cup dill seeds
soak overnight in 1 3/4 cups water and 1/4 cup vinegar.
I use mostly water at this point because it is my understanding that too much vinegar here would cut back on the heat (my mustard is usually around horseradish hot)

The next day, I throw that in the blender with 1/2 to a whole onion and blend it up. I bring it to the consistency I want by adding a little wine (white wine you can add more, but be conservative with the red) and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup vinegar (the amount is determined by the consistency). If I want it to be yellower in color I'll throw in a little bit of turmeric.

My sister is diabetic (I have to share my mustard with her and some cousins), so I don't add any sugar beyond what is in the wine and the onion. I have been avoided adding salt, but I have been thinking that I should add some.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What a cool idea. I'd love to taste it!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have made some....I'd have to dig out the recipe to remember what I did, but it was grainy cranberry mustard that was totally awesome on the Next Day Thanksgiving Sandwiches.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I can't find the recipe, sorry...but it was essentially just making mustard, and adding dried cranberries to the mix before the soaking... I do remember that I soaked mine for longer (like a month!) but I don't know if that really makes a big difference.

I did also make my own worcestershire sauce once...that was pretty cool. Made a more pungent sauce than the typical Lea & Perrins. I quit eating red meat, so I haven't done that in a while either.

Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1⁄2 cup molasses
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup tamarind concentrate
3 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
3 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. whole cloves
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
5 cardamom pods, smashed
4 chiles de árbol, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1" stick cinnamon
1 anchovy, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1⁄2" piece ginger, peeled
and crushed
1⁄2 cup sugar

1. Combine all ingredients except the sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan; boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat until it becomes dark amber and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add caramelized sugar to vinegar mixture and whisk to combine; cook sauce for 5 minutes; transfer sauce to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.

3. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months.

Last edited by lypeaches; 09-16-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add recipe
Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

God, I love Mustard. Dijon, Wholegrain or the ultimate...Colman's English. Never tried making my own though, may give it a go.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

It happens that I have some dried cranberries, I guess I'll add them to my next mustard batch.

This worcestershire sauce recipe really intrigues me. I don't use a lot of worcestershire sauce, but I might try making some anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I can't find the recipe, sorry...but it was essentially just making mustard, and adding dried cranberries to the mix before the soaking... I do remember that I soaked mine for longer (like a month!) but I don't know if that really makes a big difference.

I did also make my own worcestershire sauce once...that was pretty cool. Made a more pungent sauce than the typical Lea & Perrins. I quit eating red meat, so I haven't done that in a while either.

Worcestershire Sauce
1⁄2 cup molasses
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. whole cloves
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
5 cardamom pods, smashed
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1" stick cinnamon
1 anchovy, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
and crushed
1⁄2 cup sugar

1. Combine all ingredients except the sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan; boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat until it becomes dark amber and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add caramelized sugar to vinegar mixture and whisk to combine; cook sauce for 5 minutes; transfer sauce to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.

3. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh.. I'd find more things to use this with besides red meat

Quote:

Worcestershire Sauce
1⁄2 cup molasses
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. whole cloves
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
5 cardamom pods, smashed
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1" stick cinnamon
1 anchovy, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
and crushed
1⁄2 cup sugar

Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
lypeaches

Ok, y'all made me laugh!

Definitely make the worcestershire sauce. It's delish. Not hard. The hardest part is collecting the ingredients.

Search online for variations if you like, but I can vouch for this one!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

That's the problem with anchovies.. They don't sell them in packs of one.

I figure I'd only use them in your recipe, or when making Caesar dressing.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's the problem with anchovies.. They don't sell them in packs of one.

I figure I'd only use them in your recipe, or when making Caesar dressing.
Fuzzy, they're also excellent when making a tomato sauce....when you're first sauteing the garlic in olive oil, add in an anchovie or two....it kind of melts into the oil oil. Proceed with sauce making. Or simply add red pepper flakes to the olive oil/garlic/anchovy mixture and toss with some pasta and add some parmeson cheese.

Just trying to help you use up the tin....
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Carl1h
figure O

Quote:
Fuzzy, they're also excellent when making a tomato sauce....when you're first sauteing the garlic in olive oil, add in an anchovie or two....it kind of melts into the oil oil. Proceed with sauce making. Or simply add red pepper flakes to the olive oil/garlic/anchovy mixture and toss with some pasta and add some parmeson cheese.

Just trying to help you use up the tin....
You just convinced me to go buy some anchovies.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
lypeaches

As if homemade Ceasar Salad isn't reason enough

Glad you liked the ideas! I promise you, they're delicious!