Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Do you eat the parts you aren't supposed to?

Anyone eat the parts of food that are not the traditional parts people eat?

I remember someone talking about being sad that it's hard to find seeded watermelon, since she loved crunching on the seeds. Maybe you like pickle juice. Maybe you like cheese rind. I guess stuff like eating paste could sorta count in this thread too.

Me? I love the brine from black olives. I don't drink a lot - just a sip or two. And my mom used to drink the liquid from canned asparagus. She drank it all - hot. I guess it was like asparagus tea.

So, what weird stuff do you eat or drink that is normally overlooked or tossed out with the trash?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Pickle juice. I can't (and won't) stop. I stand at the fridge and chug it like it's Gatorade.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Pickle juice, the small rib bones on a fried chicken breast, the fins and tail on fried fish.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Pickle juice, beet juice.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The icing on the cake...

For watermelon and cantaloupe and pineapple, I like to -very- carefully carve the entire fruit with a super-sharp serrated knife so that I only remove the very thinnest layer of skin possible. So, it's not like I'm eating the actual skin, but that little bit of rind and its firmness in contrast to the consistency and texture and sweetness of the interior parts of the fruit.

I like the skins left on my potatoes and carrots as well. If I'm at a restaurant and there's some sort of edible garnish (purple-kale, an outer-leaf of romaine, an orchid, etc..); I would typically make a point of eating that. If I'm at a Japanese place, I will ask for more Wasabi only if I feel that the amount provided is insufficient (proportional to my whole meal); but I will pretty much eat all of it and not necessarily with actual pieces of rice or fish. I will eat all of the pickled ginger as well.

I won't drink the pickle-juice or olive brine, per-se. But, if no-one's watching; I might taste-it. And, of course, the better the pickles or olives; the better it will taste. If cheese is floating in a brine, I would taste that, too.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Save some of that pickle juice for the tater salad..
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love Betty Crocker wild blueberry muffin mix. When I make them, I drain the canned blueberries into a glass and drink the juice.

Last edited by one2one; 09-07-2011 at 09:30 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sometimes the core of apples and pears. Not because of the taste. I guess out of compulsion.

This is somewhat different but, whats the deal with garnishes? Are you supposed to eat them? I always do and then feel primitive.

Last edited by mejix; 09-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.
mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I like the core from pineapples myself - it has an interesting texture and isn't quite as acidic as the rest of the fruit. I also like more of the rind from watermelon then most people eat, course I live outside PA Dutch country so I'm used to things like watermelon rind pickles and such.

Pickle-juice is pretty main stream around here, many of the middle school, high school, college and professional sports teams in the area drink it to prevent dehydration during hot summer workouts. Its not one of my things but I know tons of people who used it when they competed in sports.

The inside of the seeds of some types of peaches/apricots are edible, taste like almonds but you have to be careful because some varieties have arsenic in them.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've always been weird with seeds and nuts. I like to suck all the salt off of sunflower seeds, and then eat them shell and all. I like the shells of parched peanuts to. Oh, and those little almost popped pop corn kernels, almost like a corn nut...but not. I love burnt stuff to, when steak or pork gets burnt and black and needs to be thrown away I love it, my first room mate burned stuff allll the time, and I was in heaven!

The thing I get the most teasin' for is meat fat lol I love drippings off of bacon and fried meat, to dip bread in, after my Mama fries chicken I pick out all the little bits with a piece of bread, I call 'em chicken cracklin's, and when I was little all grease and frying pans were hidden from me cause I'd eat the fat like gravy.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
I've always been weird with seeds and nuts. I like to suck all the salt off of sunflower seeds, and then eat them shell and all. I like the shells of parched peanuts to. Oh, and those little almost popped pop corn kernels, almost like a corn nut...but not. I love burnt stuff to, when steak or pork gets burnt and black and needs to be thrown away I love it, my first room mate burned stuff allll the time, and I was in heaven!

The thing I get the most teasin' for is meat fat lol I love drippings off of bacon and fried meat, to dip bread in, after my Mama fries chicken I pick out all the little bits with a piece of bread, I call 'em chicken cracklin's, and when I was little all grease and frying pans were hidden from me cause I'd eat the fat like gravy.
This! This! A million times this!

Also, pickle juice, too.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

I eat the hairy, quite sour kiwi skin. It's good.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
joemurphy
On Timeout

joemurphy can now change their title

Radish leaves in salads. They have a slight peppery taste like a cross between arugula and endive.
joemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

the juice from tinned sweetcorn, lemon skin including pith, any kind of pickle juice except the one with dill in it, like skye I like the pineapple core too, the hot milk that I've cooked smoked haddock in (mmmm), the parson's nose of a roast chicken (the little "tail"), "raw" thin sliced back bacon, the stem of the broccoli (usually never eaten in the UK), dried milk (eaten by the heaped spoonful)... think that's enough to be going on with
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Unpopped corn kernals at the bottom of the bowl/container (just a few each time)

Ice cubes (all of them, all the time, especially on planes)

Sunflower seeds in the shell

The tip of a fried chicken wing bone (just the tippy tip)
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I absolutely love the yellow soft part that is between the bone on the chicken thigh when you crack it open after it is cooked. I don't know what it is called other than delicious. And thankfully my husband leaves much stuff on a chicken bone to chew on, so I get extra.

When I make chicken tacos I make a huge pan of chicken thighs with taco seasoning on them. Then I rip all the meat off of the bones and throw the bones into a separate bowl for "cook's treat". Now that is luscious.

I also eat the "foam" that comes off the meatloaf after it is baked. That is just tasty as heck.

I also eat the pope's nose, or the last part of the chicken over the fence. Pure fat, but yummy.

And when we get take out from a restaurant in the white foam box, if something is really good, I definitely tip the box and drink the food juices left in the box.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Meat fat and chewing on the bones. I'm a menace to animals, I swear.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Another vote for pineapple core here! And broccoli stalk and orange pith. Think that's the only unusual bits I eat.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Me too. I'm an addicted bone-gnawer.

The dog looks at me like, "Give that shit here: That's my job. I'm the friggen dog."

Me: Nope, you might get an intestinal perforation. Gnawing bones ain't good for you.

Dog: %*)&@!&+_)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

When I buy whole fish, I get it with the heads on. The only part I don't eat is the hardest of bones and cartilage. I suck out the marrow. I do the same thing with a lobster. Soverysoft can attest to this. She has seen me at work - on the Jersey Shore and leaving nothing but shell.

The only part of an apple I do not eat is the stem. I pick my teeth with that.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50 View Post
When I buy whole fish, I get it with the heads on. The only part I don't eat is the hardest of bones and cartilage. I suck out the marrow. I do the same thing with a lobster. . .
I do that also. I usually buy fish at a local Asian market and have them clean it with the head on.

Fish without their heads remind me of Charles I.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
I eat the hairy, quite sour kiwi skin. It's good.
Ditto. Love the texture.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Unpopped corn kernals at the bottom of the bowl/container (just a few each time)

Ice cubes (all of them, all the time, especially on planes)

Sunflower seeds in the shell

The tip of a fried chicken wing bone (just the tippy tip)
Oh I just love that tip of the wing.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #24
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Not that anyone's actually "enforcing" it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejix View Post
"..whats the deal with garnishes? Are you supposed to eat them? I always do and then feel primitive."
But I would say that, just as a basic culinary principle, and for food to have any kind of integrity, there really shouldn't be anything put on a plate unless it's basically edible-sustenance and/or that it, somehow, actually makes the dish taste-good. And I kind-of think a lot of the best types of garnishes sort of reflect that type of sentiment; like you really don't have-to eat it, but, you-know, you could if you wanted-to....
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
This! Cartilage, tripe and most organs too. I also like random bits like tongue and tail.

I also suck on prawn heads and more likely than not, eat it along with the shell.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote