Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The ONE item you'd import

All right, this may have been covered in other threads in various forms, but what is the one item (yes, ONE and only ONE! : ) ) that you'd import from another place you lived, if you could? And it can be from a brand you can't get where you are now, or it can be something very local (but commercially available--like from a non-chain corner store or something).

I think, for me, it'd be the ability to get deep-dish/pan pizza. I'd even settle for easily accessible fresh UNOs or something. While I definitely like the typical floppy pizza style out here, it's always hard to replace what one grew up with.

(and I know that when I move out of Philly, I'll miss the real cheesesteaks with amoroso's roles)
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

For me there is 1 easy answer and that is since hubby retired and we moved here (KY) I can't get DIM SUM!! I want it..I miss it...I crave it..I dream about it!! And I've googled til the cows come home and can't find any even remotely close. I may need to be put out of my misery. Either that or do a 3 day weekend and go back to Va Beach.
MLadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tops BBQ from Memphis. I am just not a big fan of Texas BBQ. I'll take a jumbo pork sandwich, no slaw, extra sauce. They use Blue Plate brand and you can't get in the stores, dammit!
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics
Default distant food memories

My wife grew up in New Bedford, MA - we used to go visit her folks once a month and I learned to love Chow Mein Sandwiches. If they are available anywhere else, they are never the same. Should be chow mein with chow mein noodles fried together with or without some chicken and put on hamburger buns.

I also miss the Portugese food, but that is available here.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is so hard to choose. Sorry, can't do just one.

Gooseberry yogurt and scotch eggs from Sainsbury's

Tandoori chicken and Chinese chicken sold in the deli section of UK Safeways

The cheese that's a layered mix of Stilton, cheddar and something else (though once in a while I find it at Trader Joes)

Bitter lemon soda

Chinatown pork buns (where there's lots of pork instead of lots of bun)
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

TEX MEX - and everything that implies.
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

No doubt about it - subs from the White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City. (or from a few other sub shops in my home town of Margate, NJ)

No sub sandwiches ANYWHERE else even come close.

P.S. Tried to rep you for this great idea for a thread - but I had just repped you 10 minutes ago. oops. lol
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50
My wife grew up in New Bedford, MA - we used to go visit her folks once a month and I learned to love Chow Mein Sandwiches. If they are available anywhere else, they are never the same. Should be chow mein with chow mein noodles fried together with or without some chicken and put on hamburger buns.

The original Nathan's (Coney Island) has chow mein sammies.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Chicken marsala from Napoli's in Texas (and I'm going to defy Jes and have them throw in a basket of their rolls, too. Whatcha gonna to do about that, Ms Jes? hmmm?)

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

The brat sandwiches on hard rolls you can get in German bahnhofs. Lord, those things were good.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #11
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love a candy bar called "Coffee Crisp" but I can only get it when I go to Canada... which doesn't happen as much as I'd like it.

I also love a Tony's Steak Sandwich from the restaurant in my home town. I'm sure there are Tony's restaurants everywhere, but none can match the chain of them in Mid-Michigan... at least to my tastebuds.

Dangit! Now I want a steak sandwich and a candy bar!
Esme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Shikamaru
Blurry

Shikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50
: ) Malasadas, Pastes Nata, True Portuguese Rolls (fresh out of the oven... I could eat like 3 dozen of those), and really good sweet bread.

.... but I digress....

If I could import something... I would import cases... and cases.. of Coconut Milk Pocky. Its so good...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It's not too far away, but I can only find chinese roast pork sanwiches on garlic bread at Brooklyn & Staten Island diners. So, I would import one from the Ave. U (or Kings Plaza diner, with extra duck & garlic sauce. I haven't had one in over four years!

Last edited by MissToodles; 06-22-2006 at 06:22 PM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I can't pick one, either, but I'm feeling homesick, so all of mine are from my home state of R.I.:

Del's frozen lemonade
Clamcakes!
Sweenor's chocolates, particularly their peanut butter cups
Good pizza (I so took this for granted, growing up there)
Awful Awfuls (from Newport Creamery)
Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Shikamaru
Blurry

Shikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Man... I havent seen a Newport Creamery in a while.... But those Awful Awful things are the best. Didnt they have a contest where if you could eat 2 the third was on them?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Oh that's easy; all Wise Products!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wise.jpg (2.8 KB, 223 views)

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #17
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme
I love a candy bar called "Coffee Crisp" but I can only get it when I go to Canada... which doesn't happen as much as I'd like it.

I also love a Tony's Steak Sandwich from the restaurant in my home town. I'm sure there are Tony's restaurants everywhere, but none can match the chain of them in Mid-Michigan... at least to my tastebuds.

Dangit! Now I want a steak sandwich and a candy bar!
I have found Coffee Crisp candy bars in drug stores around Seattle.http://coffeecrisp.org/coffeecrisp/sightings/
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru
Man... I havent seen a Newport Creamery in a while.... But those Awful Awful things are the best. Didnt they have a contest where if you could eat 2 the third was on them?
Yep! My dad's a world-class storyteller, and he used to tell my brother and me this great, dramatic story about a friend of his who tried to do that, got hypothermia, EMT's arrived to warm him up, and he went on to finish his third free Awful Awful....

We loved it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #19
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate
I have found Coffee Crisp candy bars in drug stores around Seattle.http://coffeecrisp.org/coffeecrisp/sightings/

Thank you very much! There are a few places on the list I can check out since I'm not currently planning a trip to Canada.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
MissToodles
dead peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked
Oh that's easy; all Wise Products!!
Wise was all I ate growing up but now Lays dominates the market. I hate it when people think wise is some generic lays rip off. I can't fine the cottage home chips anywhere (and I live in new york!)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #21
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

rainy started the not-following-directions thing and she's in trouble and she knows it. She'll get hers. For myriad reasons. She knows the ways in which she is bad.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
Esme

Do you like it when she's bad?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #23
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Luckily the food that I totally crave.. really is importable:

Corky's BBQ.. Also of Memphis, TN!!

They'll box up your order and FedEx it Overnight.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default OK, just ONE

New Yawk/Lawn Guyland pizza

New Yawk egg creams

Indian food from that street in Manhattan that has like 100 Indian restaurants.....I forget if it's 5th or 6th St, but every restaurant I tried randomly was good to great, and I have yet to have Indian food anywhere that could compare.

There's much more!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #25
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

my mom lived in Australia for 3 months..and she shipped home some Cheddar and Onion chips..OMG..so good..we can't find them in america..but DAMN IT so good
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote