Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #51
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday
Only if you promise that if you see the Yorkshire listed sometime you'll PM me before you buy them all out.

This is the sale page. I don't see any tea listed right now. The selection varies all the time based on what in their stock is expiring.

https://www.shop.britishgoodsonline....?categoryId=23

Rainy - I swear I'll share.

Gawd almighty - they want $8.16 a box right now.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #52
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Kimberleigh, you rock.

Jes, what the heck is Dutch food???
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #53
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie
Kimberleigh, you rock.

Jes, what the heck is Dutch food???
well, you know, there are things there you can't get elsewhere. Are you just trying to provoke me into making a list so you can then say I didn't follow my rules?
One thing I'm crazy for is komijne kaas--it's a mild cheese with cumin seeds in it. Now, growing up, and until I was in my early 30s, I misheard it as: koninje kaas--which means RABBIT cheese. I had no idea why it was called that ('you can milk anything with nipples') but I didn't ponder.

One day I was like: SHIT. THAT TASTES LIKE CUMIN. And then I asked around found out cumin is komijn (not konijn with an 'n'--i hope i'm spelling that correctly).

anyway, you can't get that here. I've had 2 year old KK and it's aged far too long. The young stuff is so delicious it literally almost brings me to tears (b/c it reminds me of eating at my dutch oma's table)
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #54
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken
Tops BBQ from Memphis. I am just not a big fan of Texas BBQ. I'll take a jumbo pork sandwich, no slaw, extra sauce. They use Blue Plate brand and you can't get in the stores, dammit!
Mine is from Memphis as well, although I could get it most places in TN I think... Bluebell Ice Cream - Homemade Vanilla. On one visit down, when we were still dating long distance, I questioned myself as to whether I was more excited to see J or to get some ice cream. I think he didn't believe it was him.

I also miss Broadway Pizza and those funny little biscuits at the Blue Plate cafe, but I will not mention them, because I know how Jes doesn't like a rule breaker.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #55
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie
Mine is from Memphis as well, although I could get it most places in TN I think... Bluebell Ice Cream - Homemade Vanilla. On one visit down, when we were still dating long distance, I questioned myself as to whether I was more excited to see J or to get some ice cream. I think he didn't believe it was him.

I also miss Broadway Pizza and those funny little biscuits at the Blue Plate cafe, but I will not mention them, because I know how Jes doesn't like a rule breaker.
you just mentioned them.

JAMIE NOW ON THE LIST.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #56
The Obstreperous Ms. J
Omniscient Minority

The Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default I hope you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes
you just mentioned them.

JAMIE NOW ON THE LIST.

Do these impasses make it to our permanent record?
The Obstreperous Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #57
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obstreperous Ms. J
Do these impasses make it to our permanent record?
You want on the list, J? That can be easily accomplished!

(small smile)
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #58
The Obstreperous Ms. J
Omniscient Minority

The Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Sign me up!

MORE THAN ONE!, MORE THAN ONE!

To paraphrase Billy Joel:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #59
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obstreperous Ms. J
MORE THAN ONE!, MORE THAN ONE!

To paraphrase Billy Joel:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints..
Well, if you want to be on the list, then you can't be on the list. Because that's how my list rolls. So there.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #60
The Obstreperous Ms. J
Omniscient Minority

Default In that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes
Well, if you want to be on the list, then you can't be on the list. Because that's how my list rolls. So there.
To paraphrase Mark Twain:
I wouldn't want to be a part of a list that would have me.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #61
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie

Blue Bell is the national ice cream of Texas. Memphis was always a Yarnell's town when I was growing up. I am less than an hour down the road from the Blue Bell Creamery in Hempstead. It's next on my list of tours.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #62
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken
I am less than an hour down the road from the Blue Bell Creamery in Hempstead. It's next on my list of tours.
Ouch...just cruel...really.

I don't think I ever had Yarnell's while I was down there. There was one other brand but I can't think of the name right now..something about Angel's or something like that. We have Graeter's and Valentine's here, which are both specialty shops, but there is something about the Blue Bell brand that flips my switch.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #63
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes
well, you know, there are things there you can't get elsewhere. Are you just trying to provoke me into making a list so you can then say I didn't follow my rules?
Who, me? Now why would I do such a thing. Such a thing would be wrong, surely a spankable offense, no?

Quote:
One thing I'm crazy for is komijne kaas--it's a mild cheese with cumin seeds in it. Now, growing up, and until I was in my early 30s, I misheard it as: koninje kaas--which means RABBIT cheese. I had no idea why it was called that ('you can milk anything with nipples') but I didn't ponder.
As a rabbit mom, lemme tellya it's very tough to milk a rabbit. You need tweezers and lots of patience. I asked about Dutch food because I'm of Dutch ancestry (among other things - typical Euromutt) and know next to nothing about Dutch cuisine and culture.

Quote:
One day I was like: SHIT. THAT TASTES LIKE CUMIN. And then I asked around found out cumin is komijn (not konijn with an 'n'--i hope i'm spelling that correctly).
I'm not a big cumin fan, but it sounds good. Is it a soft cheese? I bet there's lots of cheese in Dutch food. What other kinds of foods are there? Do they eat a lot of grains?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #64
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default My ONE [with a slight deviation]

I WOULD have said, had I not been able to find [expensive] ways to get them:
-Tastykakes
-McVittie biscuits [either milk chocolate or caramel digestives]
-Cadbury Double Decker bars
-Milky Way crispy rolls [I forget the proper name, but it's a UK thing I can very occasionally find]

But the ONE item I would get if I could - Tastypies. I guess they don't sell those by mail order. <sigh>

There... did I stay off Jes' list?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #65
Ericthonius
Unrepentant

Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

From my old home, Manhattan the one thing I really miss is the water. Regular NYC tap water. Even out of a fire plug it tasted good. Screw good better than any other tap water I drank. Makes the rest taste like paddy water, especially New Jersey and Florida.

That and the Ray's Pizza in the Village.

And Grey's Papaya, too.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #66
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

There's this sandwich place in my hometown that has the most amazing grinders of all time. I've had similar things elsewhere, but there is no comparison. I find myself wondering often whether I could have my mom FedEx me one. Seriously...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #67
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
I find myself wondering often whether I could have my mom FedEx me one. Seriously...
Don't do it.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #68
Miss Vickie

We fedex fresh seafood from Alaska all the time. They pack it in dry ice and it's good for like 3 days.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #69
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Do it, Ashley.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #70
Miss Vickie

LOL! BTW, what's a grinder? It's not a hot sandwich is it?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #71
Santaclear
User

Quote:
LOL! BTW, what's a grinder? It's not a hot sandwich is it?
Yep, it's kinda like a hoagy or hero.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #72
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Who, me? Now why would I do such a thing. Such a thing would be wrong, surely a spankable offense, no?

As a rabbit mom, lemme tellya it's very tough to milk a rabbit. You need tweezers and lots of patience. I asked about Dutch food because I'm of Dutch ancestry (among other things - typical Euromutt) and know next to nothing about Dutch cuisine and culture.

I'm not a big cumin fan, but it sounds good. Is it a soft cheese? I bet there's lots of cheese in Dutch food. What other kinds of foods are there? Do they eat a lot of grains?
Dutch food is very, very simple. They are a big meat and potatoes country. They don't do mashed, they do boiled. So generally a small piece of simple meat (not a porterhosue steak), boiled potatoes with brothy, not creamy, gravy, and a few vegetables. Leafy ones cooked down are popular--witlof, or endives. I think we have endives here, not sure how popular witlof would be. it's bitter.
The dtuch, or many of them that I know, smush it all together on their plates into hutspot--literally a mash of all the dif. parts, together, and then eat it like a dryish stew.
The cheese is soft like a gouda, not a brie. You definitely slice it. I want to marry that cheese.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #73
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth
I WOULD have said, had I not been able to find [expensive] ways to get them:
-Tastykakes
-McVittie biscuits [either milk chocolate or caramel digestives]
-Cadbury Double Decker bars
-Milky Way crispy rolls [I forget the proper name, but it's a UK thing I can very occasionally find]

But the ONE item I would get if I could - Tastypies. I guess they don't sell those by mail order. <sigh>

There... did I stay off Jes' list?
You chose one. Had you not chosen one, you'd have been in big trouble.

Anyway, i meant to add, about dutch food, that i kept thinking about hutspot every time i read the 'i'm neurotic this way' posts in which people talked about having to have their food not touch, and needing to take 1 bite of each type of food, etc. Hutspot would just make y'all lose your shit!!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #74
Miss Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
Yep, it's kinda like a hoagy or hero.
Okay, 'cause I was thinking if it was a hot sandwich it would be better if sent pre-cooked. It sounds good, though I bet at least half of the deliciousness factor of any of these treats is the whole ambience of the thing. I know for me, part of the deliciousness of the brown beef curry I had in Scotland was that we'd been driving all over the country all day, and it was a cool, rainy day. We were starving, found the first place open on a Sunday, and sat ourselves down in a very cool Scottish pub. My sweetie had "haggis with tatties and neeps" and I dug into this huge plate of curry. Damn, it was good. I'm just not sure it would taste as good in my very American kitchen, you know?

Still though, I'd love to find out.

This is the place. It's called the Cluanie Inn and we found it totally accidentally while driving around Loch Ness. It's also a hotel and our next visit will include a stay there.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #75
Miss Vickie

Jes, thanks for the primer on Dutch cuisine. I feel so woefully uninformed for a Dutch girl. It definitely sounds like my kind of food.