Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default November Iron Foodie Challenge

I love to go with seasonal foods when I can. Let's make this sufficiently broad to get plenty of entries this month. So, how about recipes featuring the use of.... ROOT VEGETABLES!

Past Challenge List
Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr – Shrimp
May – Eggs
Jun – Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug – Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct – Cheese
Nov – Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb – Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr – Chicken
May – Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug – Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October – Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January – Soup
February – Pork
March-Mexican Food
April – Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July – Corn
August – Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October – Nuts
November – Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February – Spinach
March – Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June – cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January – rice
February – chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
September - Apples
October - candy
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Turnips Au Gratin

Turnip gratin **a Misty original**

2 turnips peeled and sliced very thin **I use a mandolin for mine**
1 pint heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese
16 oz shredded montery jack cheese **Use the block and not the bagged stuff. I’ve found that the pre-shredded cheese is way too greasy!**
Several slices bacon cooked and crumbled

1. Before you start cooking, line a baking sheet with paper towels and place sliced turnips on top. Salt the turnips liberally. This will draw out the bitter. After about 30 minutes, rinse and pat dry.

2. Meanwhile, combine the next 2 ingredients and stir until cream cheese is melted.
3. Add shredded cheese and bacon and stir until melted and combined.
4. Drain cooked turnips and layer in a oven safe dish. Spray bottom of dish for easy clean up.
5. Layer turnips and sauce. Make sure you end with sauce.
6. Top with more shredded cheese and bacon, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and turn oven to broil and broil until cheese browns.

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Misty, I am making this tomorrow. I love turnips. I love cheese. I love bacon. I WILL love this!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
Misty, I am making this tomorrow. I love turnips. I love cheese. I love bacon. I WILL love this!
You will..it's fantastic..LOL I also love turnip fries...I'm going to make some of those this weekend!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
MzDeeZyre
Fatty McFatCakes

MzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

3 large sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
(or use two large cans already cooked sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 single-crust unbaked pie shell
Directions

Boil sweet potatoes in skins until very tender. Drain then slit the skins with a knife and they’ll peel off very easily. Mash sweet potatoes with butter then use an electric mixer to blend well. Add sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Use mixer to blend again. Pour sweet potato filling into unbaked pie shell. I like to sprinkle a little more nutmeg on top. It looks pretty, and I love nutmeg. Bake at 350-degrees (mostly on the lowest oven rack) for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and top slices with whipped cream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweet pot pie.jpg (38.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
You will..it's fantastic..LOL I also love turnip fries...I'm going to make some of those this weekend!
Ooh, turnip fries, what a concept! I went to the market to get the ingredients for this and they HAD NO TURNIPS! No NEEPS! I was sad. They said they will get some next week.

I love sweet potato fries, too, btw.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
MisticalMisty

I love sweet potato fries too..but they drive my bs up..the turnips don't seem to bother me.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Candied Carrots

I haven't made these for a while, and I never measured. But I will try to estimate:

1-2 pints carrots, sliced. Cook in saucepan on top of stove until tender.

Reduce heat.

Add:

2-4 TBSP butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C (or a little bit more) brown sugar

Stir and simmer until sauce forms and thickens to desired consistency.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

I finally got to make the turnip dish! It was fabulous! I can't wait to make it again for my Christmas bring-along dish. I know my family will love it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
I finally got to make the turnip dish! It was fabulous! I can't wait to make it again for my Christmas bring-along dish. I know my family will love it.
I'm so glad!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Classic French Carrot Salad

I love this and make it at least once a week, to last about three days. It's very fresh tasting, the dressing makes a simple salad very delicious.

1 lb carrots, peeled and grated
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
ground black pepper

In a large bowl put the mustard, lemon juice, honey, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Combine well. Add the carrots and parsley to the dressing and toss well. Taste and adjust the dressing if necessary.

This photo is from an everyday food pics post I did over a year ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salad.jpg (86.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 11-25-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Beef & Vegetable Stew

I've made this several times and it turned out quite good.

What you need is:

A crockpot (you can also put this in a pot on your stove, but it's better if you let it simmer all day long)
1 can beef or vegetable stock, and then fill crockpot about 1/2 way with water
A pound of beef, the kind cut for stews
2-3 parsnips, sliced up
2 rutabagas, peeled & chopped
1 turnip, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup red wine
Handful of flour to thicken the broth a bit
Optional: A handful or two of fresh mushrooms. Not everyone likes mushrooms, but I add them if I have them.

Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 bay leaf
Pinch or two of thyme
Pinch or two of basil
Pinch or two of parsley

Brown the beef in a frying pan and saute the onion. I prefer to saute with butter, but you can use cooking oil if you want to.

Add the ingredients to your crockpot and let cook all day so the flavors mingle.

Last edited by EMH1701; 11-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One more day, peeps! Get your recipes in!

All of the ones posted so far sound yummy. The voters are going to have a tough time!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Voting is HERE.