Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Extreme Couponing?

I was watching the Extreme Couponing show, and I keep thinking of doing it. Does anyone have any experience? What is everyone else's thoughts on an extreme couponer? I saw one extreme couponer that kept her snacks/soda/candy behind a LOCKED door because the stockpile was worth so much.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Im all for saving money, but the amount of food people buy is ridiculous. And its like they just keep buying it. They turn into fucking hoarders! Oh I already have a million deoderant sticks, but this deal is too good to pass up so Im gonna buy 800 more!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have a friend who does it and when I was in a tight bind with only 5$ to my name, she brought me couponing. I got 150$ worth of stuff for 4 something. I cried of happiness cuz it saved me. My friend, on the same day, actually made money off of her purchases. She ended up with 50$ of store credit after getting about 200$ worth of stuff for free.

It's helped her a lot though. She's got a low income and a baby on the way, so I get why she does it and I encourage her to keep doing it.

She doesn't hoard though. Some people who do it are definitely hoarders, but theres some out there like my friend who will have friends and family come over, and they'll open their stock pile doors to let their friends take what they need and can't afford.

So in the sense of helping out because of income issues, I get it. But for very selfish reasons, no.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Heyyou
On Timeout

Location: Get a map, connect the dots, draw a horsie, throw a dart. 82% chance i been there or live there now.
Heyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
I was watching the Extreme Couponing show, and I keep thinking of doing it. Does anyone have any experience? What is everyone else's thoughts on an extreme couponer? I saw one extreme couponer that kept her snacks/soda/candy behind a LOCKED door because the stockpile was worth so much.

Thoughts?
No doubt about it, i have met someone that has an EXTREME belief in EXTREME couponing. The store was Giant Eagle, and it made me realize that couponers... are in fact on to something.

It is definitely real.

I still dont use coupons and shop at Walmart due to the fact that i believe a store should not base its prices to offer preferential treatment (lower prices) to those that use coupons, or a card.. but should extend the same low prices to EVERYONE. But thats just me.

The extreme couponers got so much free stuff i was actually impressed. Still, i dont like that stuff coming in the mail.

My stepdad is still a couponer from the paper, and im intrigued at Groupon.com (my first stock maybe!) sooo... yes, there is definitely something that made Kroger change its policy, could be they were losing too much money.

(I dont have exact figures for you, but its definitely real.) Much like "hypermiling" a car. Same principle, different topic.

It should also be noted that Extreme Couponing takes up a significant amount of time, and that is another reason families such as mine dont do it. Maybe we will, in time, but im not forcing it upon anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse
Im all for saving money, but the amount of food people buy is ridiculous. And its like they just keep buying it. They turn into fucking hoarders! Oh I already have a million deoderant sticks, but this deal is too good to pass up so Im gonna buy 800 more!
Amen, Saoirse! You put into words what i couldnt. That, too, is true. It is an exercise in excess, and perhaps gets from the point of "practical" to the point of "obsession," and an unhealthy one at that.. I agree!

Last edited by Heyyou; 11-06-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: included Saoirse's post.
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think those people are WAY excessive. It's one thing to buy what you NEED for a period of time with coupons and what have you but these people are over consuming just because it's a deal! I only buy 3-4 days worth of groceries at a time and keep some staples about. I couldn't imagine having my own store in the garage or whatever. Stuff does expire and 1000 tubes of toothpaste wont be great a few years down the road.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Heyyou
On Timeout

Location: Get a map, connect the dots, draw a horsie, throw a dart. 82% chance i been there or live there now.
Heyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging in
Thumbs up Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I think those people are WAY excessive. It's one thing to buy what you NEED for a period of time with coupons and what have you but these people are over consuming just because it's a deal! I only buy 3-4 days worth of groceries at a time and keep some staples about. I couldn't imagine having my own store in the garage or whatever. Stuff does expire and 1000 tubes of toothpaste wont be great a few years down the road.
True that. The person that was an extreme couponer had an entire large closet full of stuff. They could have opened a store. They showed me. i was shocked.

Well said, Saoirse and HottMegan! Thank you!
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Thoughts?
Not the brightest move appearing on tv-

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think it can be an enablement strategy for shopping addicts and hoarders.

I only know one person who does anything close to the kind of couponing on that show, and it's not that great of a thing for her or her family. She showed off her "stockpile" to me once, and bragged about how she feeds her family for next to nothing with couponing. But the food is all processed crap.

Tracy
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
I only know one person who does anything close to the kind of couponing on that show, and it's not that great of a thing for her or her family. She showed off her "stockpile" to me once, and bragged about how she feeds her family for next to nothing with couponing. But the food is all processed crap.

Tracy
Theres that too. None of the food they buy is fresh and rarely healthy. Congrats, you bought 300 TV dinners for a dollar. Wheres the fresh fruit and veg?
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

I got sucked into watching this show a few months back--gotta love the trainwreck television. There was one guy on there who was using his couponing to help his church's food pantry/shelter, and I thought that was really nice. Instead of just hoarding 100 toothbrushes, they could be given out to families who could use some extra help.

But I agree about the processed food stuff. When they show the stockpiles I always think about how much salt is in all that stuff. Yuck.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Your Plump Princess
Just dancing with shadows

Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!

I wish I had the brainpower [and time] to devote to extreme couponing, with 4 people in our house living off of my parents social security checks, things are really tight and would be even less managable without what coupons we do manage to muster up and use.

I also don't mind watching that show when it comes to some of those people, because I mean, look at that guy who got like 1000 boxes of "Total" and donated all but like, two of them, to his local food pantry or church food drive, or what-have-you... Stuff like that is definitely awesome.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Plump Princess View Post
I wish I had the brainpower [and time] to devote to extreme couponing, with 4 people in our house living off of my parents social security checks, things are really tight and would be even less managable without what coupons we do manage to muster up and use.

I also don't mind watching that show when it comes to some of those people, because I mean, look at that guy who got like 1000 boxes of "Total" and donated all but like, two of them, to his local food pantry or church food drive, or what-have-you... Stuff like that is definitely awesome.
There was a woman on the show that donates to her church's food bank all the time. She went for a haul JUST for the church. It was a couple thousand dollar haul for like, 50 bucks.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

Thoughts?

I saw a bit on this...and on the show I saw she said the lock and key was to keep the junk food away from her children's hands, not that it was worth so much. FWIW....cause she had a basement full of other stuff that wasn't locked up.

I rarely buy any of the stuff that gets coupons... too much processed crap/overpriced name brands anyway.

haha I sound like a grumpy old lady!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
There was a woman on the show that donates to her church's food bank all the time. She went for a haul JUST for the church. It was a couple thousand dollar haul for like, 50 bucks.
Saw that one. It was pretty recent. She started crying when counting up the toothbrushes, saying how it made her feel great that what she can donate is going to help out a lot of people. Sometimes even a toothbrush can help. And she did mention she was in the same boat as those she donates for, whic I think is awesome.

When I see people on extreme couponing who donate to charities, it makes me want to do the same. It's not all bad
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I saw a bit on this...and on the show I saw she said the lock and key was to keep the junk food away from her children's hands, not that it was worth so much. FWIW....cause she had a basement full of other stuff that wasn't locked up.

I rarely buy any of the stuff that gets coupons... too much processed crap/overpriced name brands anyway.

haha I sound like a grumpy old lady!
That's why i never bother with coupons. I peruse the sale stuff because produce and things i use are on sale in the ads. As a vegetarian that limits the amount of boxed foods we eat, coupons are useless.

Last edited by HottiMegan; 11-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote