Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Cornbread stuffing experience?

So, I'm going to try making a cornbread and and sausage stuffing for the first time this year. Does anyone have any recipes / tips?

I'm used to bread stuffings...so I'm thinking the process is just the same, but with cornbread?
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
So, I'm going to try making a cornbread and and sausage stuffing for the first time this year. Does anyone have any recipes / tips?

I'm used to bread stuffings...so I'm thinking the process is just the same, but with cornbread?
Well kinda. You might refer to it as twice-baked.
First you make the cornbread, let it cool, and crumble it up.
Second you prep the other ingredients and mix it up, and bake it again.

I've never seen cornbread stuffing used inside the bird, rather in a large dish, or even a roasting size pan. Memories...
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My mom always makes hers with a pan of day old cornbread and some torn white bread mixed in.

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

It all depends on what you would like the dressing to look like when you are done. Some corn bread dressings end up more like a souffle because the bread breaks down from all the liquid added. If you stuff it in the bird, use a stuffing bag to yank it out of the cavity all at once.

It can be labor intensive to make actual croutons from corn bread. ( Or focaccia, french, brioche..etc., but making it all from scratch is pretty cool) I make 4 (or more) pans of cornbread (shallow cookie sheet depth) and after cooling, cut the cornbread into 1" x 3/4" cubes. Let them dry out a bit and then coat then with a little olive oil and some finely chopped herbs. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350-375ish for about 12-16 mins and the cubes are crunchy all the way thru.

*Toast them a little at a time in a saute pan 'til brown on a couple of sides if you want a richer flavor*

Toss lightly to keep the cubes from breaking down with your choice of sauteed mirepiox, dressing veggies, giblets...etc. Keep the dressing on the dry side (a little moisture is cool) if you are putting it the bird. It will soak up moisture and fat from the turkey. If you are making it separate from the turkey in a casserole dish...your choice. Depending on the moisture of the bird, the stuffing may come out on the soft/mushy side. It's all good as long as the taste is where you want it.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" It all depends on what you would like the dressing to look like when you are done. Some corn bread dressings end up more like a souffle because the bread breaks down from all the liquid added. "

That's how I remember my mom's cornbread dressing, it was more or less a savory bread pudding. She combined crumbled up cornbread with torn up bits of toasted bread. The cornbread pretty much broke down with the liquid ingredients.

Tracy
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Sugar Magnolia
vmilwa :)

Sugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticed

Gluten-free here, so we're going cornbread.
Since it's my first time making cornbread stuffing, the recipe I'm using, with some adjusting, is this: http://www.countryliving.com/recipef...recipe-clx1111

and the link to the recipe for the cornbread is at the top of the page. I make this cornbread regularly and it's quite yummy with a nice texture.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."
~J. Austen's Emma
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Awesome, thanks guys!

I was planning to make the cornbread this weekend, actually. I intended to do it as a separate casserole. So, I think I'll employ Vardon_grips crouton technique, and use a light hand with the liquids. I prefer a dressing with a bit of crunch / texture to it.

Thanks for the recipe Sugar Magnolia! That looks pretty much like I was thinking about...but the lemon zest is a nice touch. And Misty, I've seen quite a few recipes mixing the breads...I'm still trying to decide...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
My mom always makes hers with a pan of day old cornbread and some torn white bread mixed in.

I've done this with some sourdough. Tasted pretty good.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One of the tricks with stuffing, if you don't want it to end up a soggy mess, is to bake the cornbread, cube it, toast it in the oven again so it dries a little more and becomes croutons, and then make the stuffing without too much liquid. Gotta have enough to make it "goopy" as my mom would tell me, but not enough to soak it like a bread pudding. Of course, bread pudding rocks too.