Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
lindso604

lindso604 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslindso604 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Help a college student out?

Hey guys! So I really want to learn how to cook more things, but I'm basically cooking for myself and I don't want to have to buy 15 ingredients for one dish. What are some quick, relatively easy recipes you think would be good? I have a full kitchen in my apartment.
lindso604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beans, cornbread, and greens. You can find good, simple bean recipes -- and cornbread recipes -- almost anywhere, including the package the beans/cornmeal comes in. Get fresh greens (spinach, collards, mustard, or chard) and saute them in 2 Tbsp oil in a big pot until they're wilted (@ 5 minutes), and season with salt and pepper, plus a dash of tabasco. They're good!
The beauty of beans is that, if you make a whole lot (say, 2 cups dry beans to 5 cups boiling water), you will have a lot left over. So two days later you can make chili, and that's meal # 2. Meal # 3 comes when you boil some macaroni, pile the leftover chili on top, and top that with some shredded cheese -- cheddar, for preference. Bake it at 350 for 20 minutes and you have chili mac fit for a king -- half a week's dinners out of one measly pot of beans!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

I have a real simple recipe for a version of Chicken Picatta. You can double this if you like.
oil..olive is good or whatever is availalbe
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 a large onion sliced thinly
capers (if you like them)
white wine or chicken broth

Take 1 boneless,skinless chicken breast. Place in a quart sized Ziploc baggie (or between 2 pieces of waxed paper or parchment paper) and pound with a mallet (smooth side) until it is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. If you don't have a mallet use a rolling pin, heavy skillet or sauce pan. Salt and pepper the pounded chicken. In a non-stick skillet on medium heat add a teaspoon or so of oil. Lightly brown chicken it takes about 3 minutes and remove from skillet (you will finish cooking it later). Cut 1 onion in half (pole to pole) and then slice thinly.
Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan, add onions and cook on medium heat until translusent (don't brown the onions). When onions are nice and soft add 1 - 2 Tablespoons of capers (if you don't have or like capers leave them out). Add 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (squeeze bottle is not fresh...lol) it really makes a big flavor difference so please use fresh. Add 1/2 cup white wine if you have it if not use 1/2 cup chicken broth or a bullion cube with 1/2 water. Taswte and correct seasoning if needed. Add chicken back to skillet and finish chicken..5 minutes or so. I serve this over rice or noodles.

Please note I said a sort of chicken picatta..no matter it takes good and is good reheated.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A lot of people just cook some sort of meat, a vegetable and maybe have a grain (like rice, etc) or bread.

Some of the best meals are simple.

Here is one I love...

Pork Steak in Marinara Sauce

Package pork steak
Jar of good marinara (I use the cabarnet-marinara)
Your favorite pasta

Season the meat, brown in olive oil (do not cook all the way), cover with marinara sauce, turn heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 20 min.

Cook pasta to desired tenderness (I like al dente)

Serve sauce over pasta... the meat will be very tender and flavorful! Enjoy!

* by the way, pork steak is very cheap and has more flavor than regular pork chops, at least I think so

Last edited by fat9276; 11-21-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: adding stuff
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'll second Dr. Feelgoods suggestion on the beans. They're easy to make, cheap, nutritious, and can be utilized a few different ways.

One of my favorite quick meals is similar to fat9276.... Spaghetti with italian sausage "meatballs", with slight variations...I dress up canned tomatoes as they are cheaper than jarred marinara sauce.

For the sauce...

Saute in a drizzle of olive oil, sweet or hot italian sausage chunks (cut into roughly 1" lengths for a "meatball") . Once this is browned, add a large can of crushed tomatoes. Add a generous sprinkle of some italian herb blend seasoning, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, and let it simmer for a few minutes while you make your spaghetti. Salt and pepper, red pepper flakes if you like heat, and a dash of sugar sometimes. (all of these items are too taste, of course) A dollop of wine and some extra olive oil doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by lypeaches; 11-22-2011 at 10:52 AM.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote