Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge > 50s forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Theatrmuse/Kara
Warrior Momma

Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Fat at 59 something vs. fat at 29 something?

This has been on my mind a lot lately. In my 20s, I was just discovering fat acceptance, NAAFA and letting go of all the guilt society throwed my way. We were full of energy and excited to have friends like us. At my first NAAFA convention, Jeri Carmichael, Maryanne B, Randi, Conrad and Ruby, Sandi and Guy were my playmates, dance partners ..........what a freeing time.

Now, many years later........I have lived the fat life and am much more confident, have reached a time where my teaching career is gratifying and I don't feel like I am fighting every day as a fat woman.

While still a fat activist, I am a calmer, wiser version of myself. Also, I have had some health issues which may not be caused by my fat......but my being fat might exacerbate some problems. NOW, I focus more on daily exercise and healthy eating much more and feel more balanced.

What say you, other 50 somethings? Big fat hugs, Kara

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. ~Mother Teresa

Last edited by Theatrmuse/Kara; 12-13-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Theatrmuse/Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Rickgm

Rickgm has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrmuse/Kara View Post
This has been on my mind a lot lately. In my 20s, I was just discovering fat acceptance, NAAFA and letting go of all the guilt society throwed my way. We were full of energy and excited to have friends like us. At my first NAAFA convention, Jeri Carmichael, Maryanne B, Randi, Conrad and Ruby, Sandi and Guy were my playmates, dance partners ..........what a freeing time.

Now, many years later........I have lived the fat life and am much more confident, have reached a time where my teaching career is gratifying and I don't feel like I am fighting every day as a fat woman.

While still a fat activist, I am a calmer, wiser version of myself. Also, I have had some health issues which may not be caused by my fat......but my being fat might exacerbate some problems. NOW, I focus more on daily exercise and healthy eating much more and feel more balanced.

What say you, other 50 somethings? Big fat hugs, Kara
Much as I hate to admit it, fat is just like everything else in life. That is, if it feels good or tastes good, it's probably not good for you. We all think (at least most of us in here do) that fat is beautiful and sexy. But just like a decadent pastry, to much is not good. And the truth is, fat takes a toll on your body. It doesn’t matter so much at 29 but at 59 it can be a big problem. There is a reason why we don't see a lot of old fat people. My advice to you is... Keep up the exercise, eat healthy, and if you can do it, try to slim down. Just my humble opinion.

Rickgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default I'm OK...

I'm OK with being around 440 lbs at 5'6" tall, 56 years old...but, of course there's a "catch" to all that. My diabetes is rather brittle and I have to really watch and stay on top of my blood sugars. I stay home almost all the time because I'm still paying on Dr and ambulance bills from a couple years ago and can't buy a car. I've spent a lifetime keeping my junk/shit cars, the only kind I've ever been able to afford, on the road by repairing them myself and I'm kinda' tired of the damned things, anyway! I admit, if I were still driving, especially having to carry oxygen gear, getting in and out of vehicles, traveling a lot, and having to work on my garbage quality vehicles, I'd probably have sore joints or aches and pains everywhere. Internet, posting with you great Guys in Dimm's, listening to old music music on vinyl, and electronic hobby stuff help me keep my head on straight! .

Not pious, just saved by grace. Your true Christianity
shows in how you treat those who hate you.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Buffetbelly
Nosh, destroyer of snacks

Buffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 club

All of which is why outward appearance is so much less an issue in our 50's! It's sad to hear the 20-somethings obsess over their appearance and get downright suicidal about not being able to wear certain hip or fashionable clothes. With age comes the wisdom that these things are of no real consequence.

Plus, my bills from the tatoo parlor are quire reasonable (zero!).
Buffetbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!
Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetbelly View Post
All of which is why outward appearance is so much less an issue in our 50's! It's sad to hear the 20-somethings obsess over their appearance and get downright suicidal about not being able to wear certain hip or fashionable clothes. With age comes the wisdom that these things are of no real consequence.
I would love to think my serenity is the product of wisdom, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it comes from a loss of testosterone.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady can now change their title
Smile Comfortable N Confident Now

I want to lose some weight for health purposes if not for that I am comfortable with all 387.4 pounds of me. When I was younger the weight was a problem because of a parent always downing me for it and I did become very uncomfortable with being fat and self esteem goes down hill when you have a parent telling you that are "fat, ugly, and no one will ever look at you" Thank God there are others out there who have mentioned the beauty of my weight and my personality.. I have gained so much confidence in the person I am and the weight I have and I truly know there are people out there who love us big people.
Ohio Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
bbwbud
Master Member

bbwbud never has a post go unnoticedbbwbud never has a post go unnoticedbbwbud never has a post go unnoticedbbwbud never has a post go unnoticedbbwbud never has a post go unnoticedbbwbud never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Lady View Post
I want to lose some weight for health purposes if not for that I am comfortable with all 387.4 pounds of me. When I was younger the weight was a problem because of a parent always downing me for it and I did become very uncomfortable with being fat and self esteem goes down hill when you have a parent telling you that are "fat, ugly, and no one will ever look at you" Thank God there are others out there who have mentioned the beauty of my weight and my personality.. I have gained so much confidence in the person I am and the weight I have and I truly know there are people out there who love us big people.
Lady, you look like a real hottie, but no one does anyone any favors by denying a connection between weight and health, so please do whatever is necessary for health reasons. I'm sure you will remain smokin hot at any size, since the sexiest part of any woman is her smile, but there are many other things that ties for a close second.
bbwbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwbud View Post
Lady, you look like a real hottie, but no one does anyone any favors by denying a connection between weight and health, so please do whatever is necessary for health reasons. I'm sure you will remain smokin hot at any size, since the sexiest part of any woman is her smile, but there are many other things that ties for a close second.
Why thank you bbwbud. I mostly plan on just losing enough to be healthy because I am already happy with me.. Just want to do this to keep the Diabetes under control. Been drinking water only and unsweetened tea.. going off soda pop sure helped.

Ohio Lady is offline   Reply With Quote