Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
They still make that stuff? I remember the ads for Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer from my childhood. Pabst, Jax, Falstaff, Progress -- there were a lot of crappy beers around in the fifties. And I, trusting lad that I was, tried them all when I was old enough to drink and was heartily sorry I did.
Where I'm at, PBR has become a total hipster beer.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #27
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
Where I'm at, PBR has become a total hipster beer.
I grew up sippin' PBR from the back of my Daddy's truck. When I see kids in skinny jeans and Ray-bans paying four damn dollars for a bottle of Pabst I cringe.

That being said, Screaming Blue beats Blue Moon on blueberry beer any day of the week.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
I grew up sippin' PBR from the back of my Daddy's truck. When I see kids in skinny jeans and Ray-bans paying four damn dollars for a bottle of Pabst I cringe.
Hipsters love to be ironic and patronizing toward other people's traditions and cultures. That said, it's never a bottle, they love to feel all interesting and superior while drinking the PBR tall boys.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

To a lesser extent they did it to my Lone Star beer here in Texas. When I moved away in '04 you could get a sixer of 16 oz. tallboys for $2.99, I moved back in '09 the price had jumped up to $5.99 a six pack and it seems to be the rage with the ironic crew that is hipsters.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #30
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Bless the hipsters: they are a source of much innocent merriment. When I was living in Boston, back in the '70's, Coors beer could only be found in Colorado and a few adjacent states. It was consequently in such demand back east that a Harvard undergrad from Colorado (or thereabouts) drove home for spring break and underwrote the cost by bringing back a case of Coors and selling it ... for several dollars a bottle.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #31
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

If you can get past the name http://www.bigskybrew.com/Our_Beers/Moose_Drool, it's pretty good.

Last edited by one2one; 12-24-2011 at 08:25 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #32
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
If you can get past the name http://www.bigskybrew.com/Our_Beers/Moose_Drool, it's pretty good.
Indeed it is!

Newcastle's pretty drinkable, too.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
You throw patio-furniture too?
It took me forever to figure out what you were referencing here. I don't throw patio furniture, I just break it. Speaking of hipsters, in Portland we've all switched from PBR to Iron City. Even worse.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

It might be considered a food, but I don't care what it is or isn't it's just plain nasty...I rather drink root beer (which I really hate)..LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #35
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I like either craft beers (anything by Great Lakes Brewing Company) or German beers. I first had beer in Germany as an exchange student my senior year in high school (it was legal there).
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
It took me forever to figure out what you were referencing here. I don't throw patio furniture, I just break it. Speaking of hipsters, in Portland we've all switched from PBR to Iron City. Even worse.
Egads, the only thing worse than IC is IC Light!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
Oirish
The Dude

Oirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going on

So there are only a few hundred certified Cicerones in the world. That is essentially a beer sommelier. I'm one of them.
To respond to the thread's title- yes, beer is food. It is a consumable source of calories and nutrients. That makes it food.
Earlier there was a question regarding bottles versus cans. Glass is chemically inert, making it a better vessel than metal. However, metal does not allow light in at all and completely avoids opportunity for light contamination. Bottled beer versus canned beer flavor variance is most apparent in lighter Pilsner style lagers. If you can find bottled PBR it is a perfect example. Out of a can or tap it is total crap but from a bottle, especially if given a proper pour, it is actually VERY good. Much more so if you can get to have it away from any hipsters.
There are an ever increasing amount of and variety of outstanding craft brews in America and a resurgence of wonderful Real Ales in Britain. Look up the Campaign for Real Ale to find some incredible nods to beer history gaining popularity once more. I'm happy to make recommendations, discuss beer styles, or chat about beer history with anyone interested in learning more about beer. Same goes for wine. I've a bachelors in grape growing and wine making and am taking my sommelier certification exam as soon as it is offered next here in Las Vegas.
Oirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #38
Takeshi
That's how my sushi rolls

Takeshi knows EXACTLY what's going onTakeshi knows EXACTLY what's going onTakeshi knows EXACTLY what's going onTakeshi knows EXACTLY what's going onTakeshi knows EXACTLY what's going onTakeshi knows EXACTLY what's going on

I've got so many favorite beers!
-Kirin Ichiban
-Sapporo
-BBC Barbarian Honey Ale
-Coors Light (When going cheap. lol)
-Paulner Hefewizen
-Yazoo Hefewizen
-Yazoo Gerst
-Shock Top Pumpkin Ale
-Sam Adams Alpine Spring
-Belgian Brunett (1/2 Guiness, 1/2 Stella Artois)
-Lindmann's Frambois

I usually drink at Old Chicago, and I've finished the World Beer Tour 7 times...on my 8th one now. (each tour consists of 110 DIFFERENT beers)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #39
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Actually I love the fact that drinking a Guinness is like eating a whole meal. I think my record is about 10 Guinness is one night.
You make me so proud!

PBR and me, we have an amazing relationship....started in a field when I was 14. A a decade and a half later we're still going strong.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #40
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by furious styles View Post
i like some cheap shit beer, there's good stuff for getting drunk. pabst or a corona with a lime, basic stuff. 40s of king cobra, .
This is in no way bragging,but I've seen my Daddy down twelve King Cobras during the span of one SEC championship, he took a little nap when the Vols won, and busted out the other twelve pack from the garage and didn't sleep that weekend. Yeah um, he likes football and beer, who am I to judge.

Lately I'm on this ale shit too,like the crisp stuff, Yuengling is sooooo good with hot wings,peanuts,pork rinds(with hot sauce) and popcorn. It's the best beer to go with pub grub ever.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #41
Proner
Scruffy Scruffy

Proner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Beer consumption depends a lot with seasons for me and when weather's get warmer nothing better than a cold beer! I'm pretty picky about brands I drink and mostly go for Leffe or Grimbergen
Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #42
theladypoet
I am my own non-sequitur

theladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized rep

I will drink any kind of beer, but if I'm paying I prefer anything from the local brewery, Big Rock. Their Honey brown lager is my go-to beer and it's ridiculously good- crisp, sweet and not overly hoppy or bitter (don`t get me wrong- hoppy and bitter can be good but most of the time I prefer a clean finish) . They also make a really nice wheat ale (Grasshopper).
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #43
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theladypoet View Post
I will drink any kind of beer, but if I'm paying I prefer anything from the local brewery, Big Rock. Their Honey brown lager is my go-to beer and it's ridiculously good- crisp, sweet and not overly hoppy or bitter (don`t get me wrong- hoppy and bitter can be good but most of the time I prefer a clean finish) . They also make a really nice wheat ale (Grasshopper).

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MICROBREWERY!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #44
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I agree with Ben.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

- Jim
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What I like best about beer is that you don't have to worry about whether it goes with whatever you're eating. Beer goes with EVERYTHING. *

*And it's good all by itself, too.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #46
greenforrest22

greenforrest22 has said some nice things

Sam Adams and Dos Equis. Occasionally New Castle.
greenforrest22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #47
Moyseku

Moyseku has said some nice things

by millenia beer has been food, in fact it has very good calorie levels and its quite good for nutrition, besides is delicious!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #48
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I've decided to try some international beers (not counting German). England & Ireland have some good brews. But I'm planning on getting a bit more exotic than that.

My local liquor store has beer from Africa & Asia. So I'm going to gradually try them. I may never get to visit the actual country, but at least I can drink the beer.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
StickMan
Two-Dimentional Character

StickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I love me some Shock Tops, and I've heard Guinness is very good, but I've never tried it.

I can't recommend McKenzie's enough if you're in a cider mood.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
EMH1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
I love me some Shock Tops, and I've heard Guinness is very good, but I've never tried it.
Guinness is good if you like dark beer. I really enjoy the flavor of dark beers as opposed to light, so I get it sometimes. My favorite is Beck's dark, which is imported from Germany. Great Lakes makes a few good porters. I like the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Eliot Ness (ironically, named after a Prohibition-era enforcer in Chicago). Had to try the beer after I saw the Supernatural episode.