Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge > 40s forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Dromond
Oil can

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Childhood memories from the 40 somethings

If you were born from the years 1961 - 1971, this is the thread for you!

To me, childhood seems like another epoch in history. No personal computers, no video game consoles, no cell phones, and social networking was hanging out with the neighborhood kids. Television was free, but you only got three or four channels (if you were lucky).

You either grew up with the Vietnam war, or with the aftermath of the war. You may remember watching the Apollo 11 moon landing live (I did), and you probably visited the 'Freedom Train' in 1976.

WB was still producing Looney Tunes and showing them on Saturday morning. Other cartoons I remember were Hoppity Hooper, Space Angel, Jot, the original Scooby Doo, Speed Buggy, just to name a few.

Join in, and let's celebrate the pre-Internet age kitsch!

Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh my this is fun

Watching the westerns on Saturday afternoon. Rifleman, Rawhide,Cheyenne and The Big Valley

Going downtown to watch movies at the Texas Theater then going to Ashburn's for an ice cream cone

Flying the kite I bought at Wacker's

Playing outside from early morning till dark, playing cowboy and indians and making a bow and arrow out of small tree branches

catching fireflies on a summer night and putting them in a mason jar with holes poked in the lid.

This was the downtown theater
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Captain Save
never had a 40

Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have a few to share...

Cell phones were for rich people who got arrested.

Video games were found in public places and had slots to accept your quarters.

Large tv sets required at least two or three grown men to move them.

The net was used to catch wild animals...or bad guys on tv shows like Batman, Spiderman, etc.

Battlestar Galactica, and Starbuck was NOT a woman.

The National Anthem was the last thing broadcast when tv stations went off the air for the night; this was followed by snow until about 5 or 6am.

Learning reading, writing and arithmetic was not negotiable in school; there was no spellcheck in the school library, and calculators were largely prohibited in class.

TV dinners were a severe punishment for husbands; these days they are a godsend.

Leaded gasoline.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead; I'm already getting nostalgic...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Donna
wait...what?

Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh My Gosh...so many memories. The two that stick out the most, though...

I remember middle of the night long distance (collect at that) phone calls from my big brother who was stationed in Vietnam. And my Mom screaming for joy (again in the middle of the night) when he came home from Vietnam without calling first.

I also remember driving downtown Ann Arbor to a shop called 'Middle Earth' with my other big brother and his friends (he could only go if he took me.) I can still smell the patchouli incense. It was my first taste of science fiction and really awesome music. On vinyl, no less.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Captain Save
never had a 40

Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Last two, I promise!

The tv remote was a child who happened to be in the room when an adult wanted the channel changed.

Saturday Night Live; so good, so funny, and so forbidden for those who had to go to Sunday school the following morning.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Green Eyed Fairy
Not so bad...

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I remember when cartoons were only on Saturday mornings and after-school.

I remember "after school specials" on tv.

I remember when MTV was actually about music and played music videos all day. I also remember the first time I saw "Welcome to the Jungle" on Head Banger's Ball.

It was a big deal to have HBO or Cinemax- the kids from families with money had that.

I remember learning to siphon gas through a hose and pour it into a carburetor to get the car started when it ran out of gas.

I read the whole Little House on the Prairie series of books three times.

I read every Nancy Drew book in publication at that time at least three times each- I only lacked reading three because someone hadn't returned them to the school library.

Reading Amityville Horror when I was 8 years old gave me nightmares and made me scared to look up at a dark kitchen window for many years afterwards.

Harrison Ford was a helluva lot hotter then Luke whats-his-name ever was- even when I was a child I liked the bad boys

David Bowie only looked appealing to me two times in my life- in the movies Cat People and Labyrinth.

All the "good times" involved visiting my family up in New Jersey- the most depressing feelings I had in my childhood were the trapped, empty feelings I got whenever I got back to NC.

I used to walk down to the local grocery store and read magazines for free such as Mad and Cracked. They didn't have the Eerie magazines I loved but I spent my allowance on Vampire comics at the local convenience store.

Whenever my friends and I walked under the interstate over-pass, we would pick up bottles and sling them at the cement barriers to break them...unless they were the kind we could take down the grocery store and get a nickel or dime for them.

When I was really small and lived in NJ, my brother would walk me down the "candy store" that I think now was a tackle shop that sold candy. When we moved to NC, he was offered a part time job in a real soda shop. He sometimes gave me free cokes with vanilla squirted in them. I liked to play Crocodile Rock and Run Around Sue on the juke box there. Peter Frampton was on the cover of an album in the window.

I also loved watching Battlestar Galactica, the series V and Charlies Angels.

I started off collecting Charlies Angels cards but found collecting Kiss cards with the boys was better than bickering with the girls. I also played "pencils" with the boys- I broke their pencils often but quickly learned not to play them with a boy named Richard because he always won and broke my new pencils.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy : 12-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Save View Post
Last two, I promise!

The tv remote was a child who happened to be in the room when an adult wanted the channel changed.

Saturday Night Live; so good, so funny, and so forbidden for those who had to go to Sunday school the following morning.
This made me chuckle. Let's just say that my Mother was a very loud Ukranian woman who didn't need me to be in the room, or even the house, or even the yard, to get me to come running.

One of my happiest days was when I was 17 and we got cable. And even though there was a cord attached to the tv set, it reached my parent's chair and they could slide the lever to change the channel.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Timberwolf
back.

Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Timberwolf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Interesting to read this.
Though most of my memories from the 70s (I was born in 69) are buried somewhere in my head with no access, I found some similarities. For example the size of the TV sets or having only three channels on TV, which didn't even run 24/7. Radio channels played music usually without announcing the titles and interprets of the songs.
The 80s being the years that mostly left their mark on me (I still wear some kind of mullet ), I nonetheless remember little. TV channels still were three of them, somewhen to the end of the decade, there were some others. Cable TV? Can't remember having heard of that back then. Radio stations usually still refused to tell something about the music they played (though that specific station we could recieve back then, still does this today, in times of RDS and so on... ).
*puts away the mining equipment* That's all folks.
"Do not try this at home"
warning.

-Zandoz-
It's the self-acceptance that makes the beauty.
-Waxwing-
"A woman without a belly is no woman."
- arabian proverb -

Empty wall?
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions communityone2one is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The music. Especially one-hit-wonders of the 70s, sold on 45s.

Early morning deliveries from the milkman.

Going to the mailbox (only way we could get mail) listening to Crocodile Rock on a purple transistor radio.

Running home from school so I wouldn't miss the beginning of The Brady Bunch.

My parents turning off the TV because they thought we were too young to see the civil rights and war protests.

Slide shows that involved setting up an actual screen in the living room ... and seeing slides of 'life on a commune' when friends of my parents were in town and came to visit.

Streaking. There was even a song for that, too.

Learning to tell time on a real watch. Followed by learning to pull out the stem, set it back 10 or 15 minutes, and pretend we'd forgotten to wind it and the watch had stopped when we came home late.

Shared phone lines. I can't remember what they were called, but when you'd pick up the phone to make a call, sometimes the other party that shared your line would already be using it. Oh, and phone cords. You were lucky if you could get it to stretch far enough from the wall/phone to go in a closet or sit and the top of the basement stairs for a little privacy.

Leg warmers and satin jackets.

The first personal computers.

Buying local before it was in vogue by going to small, family farms, right in your own neighborhood, for eggs and produce. Going through the fields picking the peas that the combines had missed when they were done harvesting. Running through cornfields and playing in haylofts.

Vacations that involved driving until the road ended, leaving the car, putting canoes in the water and coming back 5 days later. Without ever worrying if the car would still be there.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Fatgirlfan
Master Member

Fatgirlfan does more than just post hot picsFatgirlfan does more than just post hot pics

If you got up too early to watch t.v., all you saw was a test pattern.

Cable t.v. was a big deal when it came out.

At school we still had nuke bomb drills--duck and cover under your desk, as if that was going to do any good.

Sports graphics on t.v. we crappy! They were so cheesy.

All of those stupid variety shows, and the holiday specials hosted by John Denver.

Movie theaters had 2 movies to choose from, the seats were uncomfortable.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
it's only me

it's only me can now change their title

getting a chance to go into town every once & a while, buying a bag of penny candy when it was actually a penny.

chopping & stacking wood for our wood heater.

only getting 1- 16oz bottle of soda a month, maybe some kind of sweets, (that was when it was foodstamp time).

having a home cooked meal ready for us when we got off the school bus.
also watching t.v after school, afterschool specials, THE M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E. club, the brady bunch, the beverly hillbillies, & was satisfied with the few channels we had(lol).

no phones.

no light switches, only 1 light we had in the ceiling of each room, the one where you had to pull the chain or string to turn it on, can u imagine trying to find the string at nite(lol).

no air conditioner or fans.

there was 10 of us, so, at the time the 4 oldest had moved out or gotten married, & that left the rest of us & my parents having to pile onto an old white station wagon for transportation.

but the most important thing & what i cherish & remember most was having both of my parents there, there both deceased now.

i guess WE can truely say young people really don't know how good they have it today, i really wish they can go back in time & live the way we lived, ya'll think they could 've made it? , i also will say it wasn't bad at all, cause it seemed like families was closer back then.

but i WOULD NOT have traded it for anything, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.(lol)
it's only me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
FeedYouInFlorida

FeedYouInFlorida has said some nice things

One of my earliest memories is Richard Nixon going on TV to talk about the energy crisis and lowering the national speed limit to 55MPH.

And the first album (vinyl!) I ever bought was John Williams' music for Star Wars. Even as a kid I was a geek.

Music sharing meant copying albums onto tape cassettes.

I do miss the great album covers of the LP era.
FeedYouInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Fat_Angel

Fat_Angel can now change their title

Racing home from school to try to catch Duran Duran on mtv before my dad got home and made me change the channel....he hated them lol.

Atari!

Finding that perfect neon orange shirt and wearing it proudly even though it made me look like a huge pumpkin!!!!

Playing outside until the streetlights came on.

Walt disney shows on sunday evenings.

The mutual of omaha dude with the wild kingdom shows on tv.
Fat_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Lovelyone
Fat, and loveable!

Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!

I remember when candy bars were 25 cents each.

We got our exercise outdoors instead of on Wii and X-box.
Our kind of games included Hide-and-seek, kick the can, Catch them kiss them ditch 'em, Tag, Simon says, Mother May I, "Wicked old witch what time is it?", and Redlight-Greenlight.

Jelly shoes, penny loafers,and boat shoes were in style and if your hair didn't have "wings" or "feathers"you were not hip or cool at all.

Summers were spent outdoors all day long...and we only came in when we were hungry or when the street lights came on (house rule).

I'd run home from the bus stop in order to catch the last 15 minutes of Felix the cat and then watch Speed Racer on PBS.

Bogarting Showtime and HBO on a stolen converter.We'd watch it wavy lines and all!

Skateboards were all the rage.

The closest we came to a cell phone was the one on the corner of a public street that you had to drop a dime into to make a phone call.

Who ever heard of Music CD's? We had tape recorders that we taped all our favorite music off of the local radio stations with. Vinyl records were popular for our turntable record players.

Pop Rocks, lick 'em sticks, lemon heads, and Jolly rancher sticks were popular. (That is until the big rumor that drinking soda with pop rocks would destroy your larynx came along. Remember that "Mikey" the kid from the Life cereal commercials supposedly died from that?).

Our Media influences included Teen beat and Tigerbeat magazine. I had those dang posters all over my bedroom wall.

I waited in line to see E.T. for 6 hours cos the first three shows were standing room only.

Cabbage patch kids were the most popular Christmas item. There were beat downs in the store over them.

I was thrilled to put the red and blue bulbs on our silver tinsel Christmas tree.

Jumping rope double dutch, kickball, and tag football were some favorite pass times of the children in our neighborhood. These days you rarely see a child outdoors.

I couldn't wait until I could drive and go to the midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
LillyBBBW
Back from the dead

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone View Post
I remember when candy bars were 25 cents each.

We got our exercise outdoors instead of on Wii and X-box.
Our kind of games included Hide-and-seek, kick the can, Catch them kiss them ditch 'em, Tag, Simon says, Mother May I, "Wicked old witch what time is it?", and Redlight-Greenlight.

Jelly shoes, penny loafers,and boat shoes were in style and if your hair didn't have "wings" or "feathers"you were not hip or cool at all.

Summers were spent outdoors all day long...and we only came in when we were hungry or when the street lights came on (house rule).

I'd run home from the bus stop in order to catch the last 15 minutes of Felix the cat and then watch Speed Racer on PBS.

Bogarting Showtime and HBO on a stolen converter.We'd watch it wavy lines and all!

Skateboards were all the rage.

The closest we came to a cell phone was the one on the corner of a public street that you had to drop a dime into to make a phone call.

Who ever heard of Music CD's? We had tape recorders that we taped all our favorite music off of the local radio stations with. Vinyl records were popular for our turntable record players.

Pop Rocks, lick 'em sticks, lemon heads, and Jolly rancher sticks were popular. (That is until the big rumor that drinking soda with pop rocks would destroy your larynx came along. Remember that "Mikey" the kid from the Life cereal commercials supposedly died from that?).

Our Media influences included Teen beat and Tigerbeat magazine. I had those dang posters all over my bedroom wall.

I waited in line to see E.T. for 6 hours cos the first three shows were standing room only.

Cabbage patch kids were the most popular Christmas item. There were beat downs in the store over them.

I was thrilled to put the red and blue bulbs on our silver tinsel Christmas tree.

Jumping rope double dutch, kickball, and tag football were some favorite pass times of the children in our neighborhood. These days you rarely see a child outdoors.

I couldn't wait until I could drive and go to the midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
OMG!! I REMEMBER OLD LADY WITCH!!! I used to LOVE that game!! We used to play t his game called Hot Peas and Cold Butter. The one who was IT had to hide a belt or a strap and everyone had to go look for it. The hider would let you know who was getting warmer and when you found the belt you were red hot. Then you had to chase everyone back to home base and if you caught someone you got to give them the thrashing of their lives with the belt. Everybody would run pell mell squealing like idiots to get away. Then you got to hide it next. Fun fun fun.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW : 12-15-2011 at 07:07 PM.
LillyBBBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
SuzyQutsy

SuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized rep

Does anyone remember HR Puff and Stuff?
SuzyQutsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 AM   #17
Dromond
Oil can

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQutsy View Post
I do. That was some trippy shit, for sure. Sid and Marty Kroft had to be on drugs when they dreamed up that show.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I remember when....

- we got a dishwasher, when we got a colour TV, when we got cable. I don't remember when 'we' got a VCR, because I was at University by then (my parents were never on the cutting edge of home entertainment or conveniences).

- the local newspapers went from afternoon delivery to morning delivery, depriving a lot of kids of their income.

- I couldn't think of much cooler than having the money and the transportation to hang around the arcade--especially when they began to have a lot of video games! (by the time I had the money and transportation I was no longer so interested, however).

- we got a 'clone' of an Apple II computer, and we were pretty special because we got a dot matrix printer that actually had one dot below the line, so it it printed g, j, p, q, and y in a semi-legible way, unlike the 8 pin dot matrix printers. Also how getting that totally revolutionized writing essays and reports, primitive though the word processing was.

- Long distance calls were for emergencies, or else on holidays when they were down to 1/3 the usual cost.

- Waiting desperately, for years, to get a new bike with drop handle-bars, to replace my hand-me-down, and now utterly un-cool, upright bike.

- when it seemed like I was the only one in middle-school who didn't have an Addidas bag to carry their books around in (but then my sister got me a backpack from her university, and I didn't mind anymore)

- when 'aviator' glasses frames were hip and curent, and rectangular glasses or ones with thick ear pieces were impossibly old-fashioned!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Lovelyone
Fat, and loveable!

Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQutsy View Post
Movieplex actually has been airing one of the PuffNStuff movies and I recently watched it with my autistic 8 1/2 year old niece. She laughed all the way through and kept asking me about the "weird" characters and where they came from. She loved Witchie-Poo and the talking flute.

Last edited by Lovelyone : 12-16-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Lovelyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.
CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Being sent to the corner store with a dollar to buy two packs of cigarettes (Kents) for my mom and being told I could keep the change, then going to the bar at the corner instead and pay less so I'd have more change to buy a sarsaparilla and a ham sandwich at the bar while gossiping with the bartender/owner, Mr. Hill who had a gigantic ill-tempered Old English Sheepdog named Rocky. I was ten. I bought cigarettes and hung out in a bar. It.was.awesome.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
LillyBBBW
Back from the dead

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Being sent to the corner store with a dollar to buy two packs of cigarettes (Kents) for my mom and being told I could keep the change, then going to the bar at the corner instead and pay less so I'd have more change to buy a sarsaparilla and a ham sandwich at the bar while gossiping with the bartender/owner, Mr. Hill who had a gigantic ill-tempered Old English Sheepdog named Rocky. I was ten. I bought cigarettes and hung out in a bar. It.was.awesome.
I bought ciggs and BEER. Mom was a raving alcoholic and sent me to the liquor store as her sprite-footed little enabler. I myself started smoking when I was 13 and bought them all the time. Never knew it was illegal to sell ciggs to minors until I was old enough to buy them legally anyway. I was genuinely shocked when I found out. Mom sobered up when we all grew up and moved out. Good times.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
Mayla

Mayla can now change their title

Man, this is bringing back so many memories...

My Saturday morning faves:
--The Banana Splits
--Kroft Supershow (and everything in it: Wonderbug, Dr. Shrinker, Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl...).
--Secrets of Isis
--Sigmund the Seamonster
--Uncle Croc's Block (with Charles Nelson Reilly, and all the cartoons therein)
--The Superfriends
--Scooby Doo (of course)
--Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
--Batman and Robin (with Batmite!)
--Groovie Goolies and Friends
--Far Out Space Nuts
--The Ghost Busters (live action 70s show)
--Shazam...

...lol! Could you tell I loved my Saturday mornings--? What can I say? Only child introvert. TV was my first true love.
Mayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #23
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

Omigoodness! This thread certainly brings back many good memories!

I was born in January 1966, so, at 3, I was a bit too young to understand the Apollo 11 moon landing...let alone remember it.

I remember ALL those glorious Saturday morning cartoons and really weird Sid & Marty Kroft TV shows...I was always partial to "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters"

I also remember an odd TV show with Jim Neighbors and Ruth Buzzi as aliens. They had a pet called a "Dorse" (yes, a combination dog and horse) and I remember the aliens traveled with a couple human kids. I just can't remember the name of the show but I remember watching it.

I never missed the Shazam/Isis Power Hour.

I used to walk downtown to a small diner which sold magazines and candy. I'd buy a soda and a MAD, CRACKED, EERIE or FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine...depended on what I was interested in and had money for. Yes, the grumpy old guy who owned the place (and has been long dead for years) was fond of telling me that his magazine stand wasn't a library .

I also remember when MTV played videos.

I remember watching THREE channels off an antennae on a black and white TV.

I never missed the original Saturday Night Live...I have the DVD sets for the first 5 seasons and it's STILL funny!

We had no internet, no cell phones, video games were nearby at the mall arcade but we had to amuse ourselves by...GASP!...actually using our imaginations! However did we survive? We read books, played outside, got into trouble, rode bikes without helmets (whoa nellie!), we actually exercised.

Okay, I admit that I truly enjoy my very sweet 50 inch flat screen plasma TV that I own today...and watching DVDs of old TV shows from 30-40 years ago is still lots of fun.

I also miss the simpler times of my childhood though.

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
Lovelyone
Fat, and loveable!

Zoom,. zoom zoomah zoom...we are going to zoomah zoomah zoomah zoom. Come on give it a try. We're going to teach you to fly HIGH!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Dromond
Oil can

Don't forget Captain Kangaroo, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and the Electric Company!