Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default January 2012 Iron Foodee Challenge

So it's January, not really the time of year for nibbling on lettuce leaves. It's dark and cold (for most of us!), I think we need something comforting and happy. So this month's challenge is - CAKES!

Fairy cakes/Cupcakes, big sponge cakes, fruited old fashioned cakes, scones, buns, flourless cakes, sugarless cakes, traybakes, gateaux, roulades, etc etc etc. I'm really quite excited about this one and hope to get some new cake recipes to try, as I really don't do enough baking.

Good luck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink-cake-slice.jpg (24.2 KB, 212 views)
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
MzDeeZyre
Fatty McFatCakes

MzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Better Than Sex Cake

This is one of my all time favorites after Red Velvet Cake. I don't kow anyone who doesn't LOVE this cake!!

Ingredients:

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 jar caramel ice cream topping

3 bars chocolate covered toffee, chopped or 1 bag pre chopped Heath candies

1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions:

Bake cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan; cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.

Poke holes the top of the cake, going about half way down. (I use a wooden spoon handle.)

In a saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping, stirring until smooth and blended. Slowly pour the warm topping mixture over the top of the warm cake, letting it sink into the holes.

Sprinkle the crushed chocolate toffee bars liberally across the entire cake while still warm.

Let cake cool completely, then top with whipped topping. Decorate the top of the cake with some more chocolate toffee bar chunks and swirls of caramel topping and chocolate syrup.

Refrigerate and Serve!! Soooooo Good!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betterthansexcake.jpg (108.1 KB, 203 views)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Holy crap, Lissa!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Lissa, you beat me to it! I used to make one VERY similar to this, and just thinking about it now makes my mouth water.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

wow that has to be one of the most decadent cakes I've ever seen!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Found this one today, and decided to make it to use up my shredded carrots. It turned out to be REALLY good. What a perfect opportunity to share...

Quick Carrot Cake

1 (18.25) oz. yellow cake mix
8 oz. crushed pineapple (undrained)
1/3 C. applesauce
1/3 C. plain low-fat yogurt ( I used vanilla b/c that's what I had)
3 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 (10-oz) bag shredded carrots

Beat all ingredients except carrots together at low speed until well-blended. Stir in carrots, and bake according to the directions for the cake mix.

I frosted this one with cream cheese frosting, but I think a penuche would also work very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMMNOMNOM.JPG (106.4 KB, 183 views)

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

FUNNY BONE CAKE

Ingredients:

Devils food cake mix (prefer Duncan Hines0

Frosting:
1 cup honey roast crunchy peanut butter (or your favorite peanut butter)
8 oz. cream cheese softened
6 TBS honey
2.5 cups powdered sugar
2 TBS. half & half

Make cake as directed on box and let cool. I prefer to make it as two 9 inch rounds. Then make frosting as follows - mix peanut butter, cream cheese and honey well. Add 1 TBS cream and mix. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix. Add second TBS cream and mix. Add remaining powdered sugar. Beat well and scrape down sides as needed.

Frost the cooled cake in the center and sides. Refrigerate. This cake tastes better uncut the next day. If you can't wait, chill as long as possible and then set out about 15 minutes before serving.

This cake is a family favorite and gets chosen for everyone's birthday. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In the South you can tell a lot about a cook by their family's:

Hummingbird Cake
Southern Living recipe

Ingredients*

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preparation

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.

Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation

Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.

* You can also use a yellow cake mix, which I do sometimes. No one will know, I promise.

The way I prefer to make it.

And my Mama's preferred form:
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

This recipe may seem like a lot of work, but it's pretty simple when you start doing it. I made it last weekend and it's incredible!

German Chocolate Cake (recipe from David Leibovitz )

One big, tall 9-inch cake; about 16 servings

For the cake:
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons water
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¼ cup + ¼ cup sugar
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the filling:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
3 ounces butter, cut into small pieces
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut, toasted

For the syrup:
1 cup water
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum

For the chocolate icing:
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 ½ ounces unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream

1. Butter two 9-inch cake pans, then line the bottoms with rounds of parchment or wax paper. Preheat the oven to 350°.

2. Melt both chocolates together with the 6 tablespoons of water. Use either a double-boiler or a microwave. Stir until smooth, then set aside until room temperature.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or by hand, beat the butter and 1 ¼ cup of the sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the melted chocolate, then the egg yolks, one at a time.

4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

5. Mix in half of the dry ingredients into the creamed butter mixture, then the buttermilk and the vanilla extract, then the rest of the dry ingredients.

6. In a separate metal or glass bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold soft, droopy peaks. Beat in the ¼ cup of sugar until stiff.

7. Fold about one-third of the egg whites into the cake batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites just until there’s no trace of egg white visible.

8. Divide the batter into the 2 prepared cake pans, smooth the tops, and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool cake layers completely. While the cakes are baking and cooling, make the filling, syrup, and icing.

To make the filling:

1. Mix the cream, sugar, and egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Put the 3 ounces butter, salt, toasted coconut, and pecan pieces in a large bowl.

2. Heat the cream mixture and cook, stirring constantly (scraping the bottom as you stir) until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the spoon (an instant-read thermometer will read 170°.)

3. Pour the hot custard immediately into the pecan-coconut mixture and stir until the butter is melted. Cool completely to room temperature. (It will thicken.)

To make the syrup:

1. In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water until the sugar has melted. Remove from heat and stir in the dark rum.

To make the icing:

1. Place the 8 ounces of chopped chocolate in a bowl with the corn syrup and 1 ½ ounces of butter.

2. Heat the cream until it just begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Let stand one minute, then stir until smooth. Let sit until room temperature. (note: I put mine in the fridge to cool after about 45 minutes of waiting. I'm impatient!)

To assemble the cake:

Remove the cake layers from the pans and cut both cake layers in half horizontally, using a serrated bread knife.

Set the first cake layer on a cake plate. Brush well with syrup. Spread ¾ cup of the coconut filling over the cake layer, making sure to reach to the edges. Set another cake layer on top.

Repeat, using the syrup to brush each cake layer, then spreading ¾ cup of the coconut filling over each layer, including the top.

Ice the sides with the chocolate icing, then pipe a decorative border of chocolate icing around the top, encircling the coconut topping.

(It may seem like a lot of chocolate icing, but use it all. Trust me. You won’t be sorry.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_german_chocolate_cake.jpg (32.3 KB, 143 views)
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

These all sound really good.

Sadly, I don't bake very often. When I do, it's usually bread in the bread machine.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Magic Cake

I don't know if I have a photo of this cake or not, I'll have to look. It got a Blue Ribbon at a local baking competition and has been featured in a cooking magazine's cookbook. It's a variant that I developed that was based on a recipe I found many years ago and its essentially an old-world style spice cake. It keeps very nicely as long as you store it air-tight. The construction is a bit odd if you're used to modern cake making but this not supposed to be a light and fluffy cake, its supposed to be more like a solid pound cake.

Magic Cake - Because it disappears like Magic!

2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (can use white or organic sugar in the raw), plus more to coat pan
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed finely in a mortar
2 teaspoons dried minced orange peel (or 1-2 Tablespoons fresh)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg or slightly more to taste
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (vanilla "paste" extract with the seeds in it is better)
1/2 cup butter, plus more to coat pan
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat the inside of a bundt pan generously with butter. Add 1/4 cup sugar to the pan and turn it until the pan is fully covered in the butter and sugar mixture.

If necessary dab a bit of butter on any empty spots, or use more sugar. When the pan is completely coated rap it sharply against the counter to and discard the excess sugar. Set pan aside.

Place the butter in a microwave safe container and microwave in 15 second intervals until melted, set aside to cool.

Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg and then stir in the vanilla extract and buttermilk.

Add the wet ingredients (except butter) to the dry and stir by hand until everything in moistened and there are no large lumps. Do not overmix!

Add the cooled butter and fold it gently into the cake batter with a spatula until just combined. Be gentle or you'll undo the buttermilk/soda leavening effect.

Spoon cake batter into prepared pan, level the top gently with the spatula.

Bake for 45 minutes and then check for doneness. Cake is done when it is golden brown and a straw inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cake may require up to 1 hour depending on the type of pan used.

Let cake sit on rack for 3 minutes, loosen sides with a butterknife or spatula and turn out onto a rack.

Garnish if desired with powdered sugar or perhaps a simple glaze of powdered sugar and orange juice with bits of diced candied ginger.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Angel Flake Coconut Cake

*I don't have a picture but I have made this recipe numerous times. It is always a hit and so easy to make! This cake is pretty to look at (all white and softly fluffy looking, the perfect "winter" cake) and so very, very yummy (rich and creamy and deliciously textured with the coconut). I love it!

Angel Flake Coconut Cake

1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
2 2/3 cups flake coconut (7-ounce bag), divided
1 cup cold milk
1 package (4-serving size) Jell-o vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 ounces) Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed

Prepare cake batter as directed on the package; stir in 2/3 cup of coconut. Pour evenly into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Bake as directed on package. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans to wire racks; cool completely.

Pour milk into medium bowl. Add dry pudding mix and sugar. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. (Mixture will be thick.) Gently stir in whipped topping. Refrigerate 15 minutes.

Place 1 of the cake layers on serving plate; spread top with 1 cup of pudding mixture. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of remaining coconut; cover with second cake layer. Spread top and side with remaining pudding mixture; press remaining coconut into pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Awesome Carrot Cake

Somehow, it's greater than the sum of it's parts....

Dry:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Wet:
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Extras
2 - 3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut (sweet or unsweet, it's all good)
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1 small 8 oz can of crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 pan.

In a med bowl, sift together flour, bking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
Add flour mixture and mix well.

Stir in carrots, raisins, coconut, walnuts, and pineapple with juice.

Pour into pan, bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Allow to cool before icing with

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 bar (about 8 oz?) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 - 4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Any more entries? I'll put the poll up on 1 February, so hurry up if you have a recipe to submit!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Salted Caramel Six Layer Chocolate Cake
(Taken from the boys at TheBittenword who took it from Martha Stewart Living. I made it for the hubby for his birthday... it's a LOT of work, but so so worth it.)

For The Cake
Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pans
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tablepoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Coarse salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons safflower oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For The Caramel
4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
Coarse salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
For The Frosting
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Coarse salt
1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped, melted, and cooled
Garnish: flaked sea salt, such as Maldon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Butter three 9-inch round cake pans, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons course salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, 1 1/2 cups warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Divide batter among pans. Bake until cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pans set on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks, and let cool completely.

Make the caramel: Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is dark amber, about 14 minutes. Remove from heat, and carefully pour in cream (mixture will spatter); stir until smooth. Return to heat, and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees, about 2 minutes. Pour caramel into a medium bowl, stir in 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Let cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting: Whisk together cocoa and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water in a bowl until cocoa dissolves. Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, and a generous pinch of coarse salt in a clean bowl with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in melted chocolate and then cocoa mixture until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes before using.

Trim tops of cakes using a serrated knife to create a level surface. Cut each in half horizontally to form 2 layers. Transfer 1 layer to a serving platter, and spread 3/4 cup caramel over top. Top with another cake layer, and repeat with remaining caramel and cake layers, leaving top uncovered. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.

Frost top and sides of cake in a swirling motion. Sprinkle with sea salt.

I just used regular sea salt and sprinkled it on lightly. My cake was super super moist, but it fell apart real easily, and it didn't look nice enough to take a picture. It was delicious (and gone in 2 days.)

From the Martha Stewart magazine it was taken from:

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wow, you guys are amazing! I don't have anything nearly this good to contribute, but I just want to thank everyone for all the recipes. I'm so excited to try them.

Last edited by one2one; 01-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote