Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
TheNowhereMan
Rambling Rover

TheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Curious about LAP Band

A girl that I have recently started dating told me last night that a few years ago she had the LAP Band procedure and I was just curious about it. She is very shy about it and only really mentioned that she had the procedure and really didn't want to talk more about it. While I am still gently trying to get more info from her, I was hoping that maybe some people were willing to share some of their experiences and anything important I should know. The internet hasn't been that helpful thus far so the next thing that came to mind was to post on Dims. So please, if you feel comfortable, share with me?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNowhereMan View Post
The internet hasn't been that helpful thus far so the next thing that came to mind was to post on Dims.
Well, if you type "lap band" into Google, it comes up with 6,610,000 results in just 0.17 seconds. One might argue whether that is helpful, or an example of how far Google has fallen in providing actual, real infromation.

However, I do think what Wiki has is helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lap_band
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
TheNowhereMan
Rambling Rover

TheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this board

Thanks for the Wiki link, but I was hoping for more personal testimonials rather than just information.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNowhereMan View Post
Thanks for the Wiki link, but I was hoping for more personal testimonials rather than just information.
I suggest searching this forum. There is quite a bit of info on that procedure.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I had a lap band for four years. I had it removed in May last year.

I have Multiple Sclerosis, so it was thought that maybe I should have a lap band to lose weight.

I had four miserable years of pain and vomitting and other side effects.

The lap band can be effective at the start as a weight loss tool, but the weight can be regained, as the band can be circumvented.

People need to make their own decisions about what is right for their lives, but if I had the time over I would never have had this procedure, and I would not recommend it.

I have gained all my weight back plus more, but I am happy and healthy.

I will never have any kind of medical intervention again.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There are some really good lap band forums such as this one where people talk at great length about their experiences with their lap bands. I think you'll get a much wider range of experience.

In my own case, I chose not to have the lap band but had a different WLS but I have several friends who have had the lap band. It's been a wide range of experiences for them, everything from no weight loss at all despite restriction, to losing tremendous amounts of weight and keeping it off, to weight loss followed by weight gain. Most people I know have had a lot of vomiting, far more than I ever had with my WLS.

As far as what you should know about her, I'm sure she'll let you know. Each person's experience is so different, it's just so hard to know what to tell you. However, if you do notice a hard lump on her belly don't freak out. It's most likely the port, which is where fluid is added or removed from the band; it's attached to the abdominal wall but if you're not expecting it, no doubt it could seem alarming.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote