Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Bearsy
Genuinely Disingenuous

Bearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging in
Default moving across the country

Anyone have any general tips for moving ~3,250 miles from home?
I'm saving up and looking at mid-June leaving date.
This will not only be my first move out of my hometown, but also my first time leaving my parent's house.
Any tips for moving? Things to keep in mind, etc.?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Zowie
Zowie-Zilla

Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I did it, I moved from Quebec to BC, first time out of the house as well. However, I had an amazing support system, my parents were helping me out, and I knew people in Vancouver who could lend me a hand if needed.

Moving is a pain in the ass no matter where you're going, frankly.

Where are why are you going?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ask for your favourite recipes now and compile a notebook for those moments your feeling a little homesick

Have faith in yourself

and try and get out into the community and attend events and stuff to meet new people

thats about it hugs and much luck
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

fuck, bearsy, i have moved across this country like 5 times and i'm getting ready to do it again in a few weeks. how are you going? train, bus, car or plane?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I donít know how much stuff you are bringing with you, and what your circumstances will be at the other end, so some of this may not apply at all.

Figure out how much you can take, and get the appropriate amount of boxes ahead of time. Historically some liquor stores and some grocery stores were glad to give away their left over boxes, you just had to ask (liquor store boxes tend to be stronger, so are preferred). That way you can trial pack, and see what fits and what doesnít.

Donít take clothes that donít fit. Donít take old books or CDs you never listen to, if there is anyone who can store them for you.

Try to pack boxes by theme, and label them (twice maybe). When you get there, exhausted, and all you want is to eat something and go to bed, you donít want to have to guess which boxes have dishes and bedding.

Donít pack things that can leak (like shampoo) unless you really need to.

Use Google street view to check out your new accommodations, so you at least have a clue what you are arriving at.

Do bring at least one thing to stick up on a wall, if you can. It helps make a place feel like yours in a hurry when you put something of your own up.

Thrift/second hand stores are your friends for all things cooking related. Pots, glasses, cutleryÖ.they often have this stuff really cheap. And if you move back and donít want to move a lot of kitchen stuff, you can donate most of it back.

Walk around your new neighbourhood as soon as you can. It helps to feel settled, and you might be surprised at what treasures it has hidden away just a block or two from where you live.

Small stores and restaurants often have a bulletin board up where local groups and activities might get promoted (like concerts, community centre movie nights, fairs, protests, whatever). And in some places the streetlight posts are used to post ads too. All great ways to know what is going on in your community.

Check out the public transportation on the web before you get there.

Make sure you have the phone numbers of all your family and friends, just in case. Also get you and them set up on Skypeófree is always a nice price on phone calls!

And most importantly, have a blast setting up on your own and finding your own rhythm for doing things
Old 01-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Bearsy
Genuinely Disingenuous

Bearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging in

Thanks all. I'm a ways away from the move, I still don't even know where I'm going, I just know that I need to leave as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
I did it, I moved from Quebec to BC, first time out of the house as well. However, I had an amazing support system, my parents were helping me out, and I knew people in Vancouver who could lend me a hand if needed.

Moving is a pain in the ass no matter where you're going, frankly.

Where are why are you going?
Still not 100% but I'm leaning heavily towards Vancouver myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCharming View Post
fuck, bearsy, i have moved across this country like 5 times and i'm getting ready to do it again in a few weeks. how are you going? train, bus, car or plane?
More than likely a bus. Where are you going?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsy View Post
Thanks all. I'm a ways away from the move, I still don't even know where I'm going, I just know that I need to leave as soon as possible.

Still not 100% but I'm leaning heavily towards Vancouver myself.

More than likely a bus. Where are you going?
i'm going to kansas. middle of nowhere...

BUT if you just want to get out and arent real particular about where you go or what you do you could look into Americorp. they put you up and feed you if you do community outreach/betterment work for them and they hook you up with a modest stipend. just realize that they send your ass into the hood.

first you need to figure out where you're going. what about oregon?

then do some research on housing costs. figure three months rent just to get into a place and an extra month or two to give you time to find a job and get on your feet. a couple hundred bucks for utility deposits and another couple for furniture and housewares. all in all its an expensive proposition...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
i'm going to kansas. middle of nowhere...

Good lord, why? Haha.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
metabliss
Just cool enough 4 school

metabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot pics

I plan on getting out of Buffalo myself someday, except that I am moving away from the snow
Anyway, a friend of mine who has made a few cross country moves says that Craigslist is an awesome resource for moving far away. You can find a job, an apartment, find out cool places to go, and whatever else you need all in one place. If you have already thought of this, then feel free to ignore this post Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
Good lord, why? Haha.
why else? a girl... /sigh
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Oh geez. Haha.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Fish: I actually liked living in Kansas. I mean I was young and had all my best friends there, but it's not too bad. The weather is fucking AWESOME.

I think I'm going to move after I complete my undergrad. Because I'm a nomad and can't stay in one place for more than a few years.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Lil BigginZ
just a NORML guy

Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Tornado capital of the world.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquito View Post
Fish: I actually liked living in Kansas. I mean I was young and had all my best friends there, but it's not too bad. The weather is fucking AWESOME.

I think I'm going to move after I complete my undergrad. Because I'm a nomad and can't stay in one place for more than a few years.
it's flat and brown and miserable and small minded and there are no trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil BigginZ View Post
yep, i just read an article, yesterday in popsci, about the Joplin Tornado and now i am fucking terrified...
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
metabliss
Just cool enough 4 school

metabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
I sincerely do not know one person who has moved across the country or out of state that wasn't for a significant other. Doesn't anyone relocate for a job or to be close to family anymore? lol
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil BigginZ View Post
Yep, because Oklahoma sucks and Nebraska blows.

Ba-Dum-Dum Thank you, I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip the waitstaff.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabliss View Post
I sincerely do not know one person who has moved across the country or out of state that wasn't for a significant other. Doesn't anyone relocate for a job or to be close to family anymore? lol
this is the first time i'll be moving for a girl!

first move was from buffalo to california with my parents for my dad's job. then a few years later California to louisiana to get my child back. then louisiana to buffalo for family. then buffalo back to california for a job. california to florida for family (temporarily) florida to buffalo for family again and, finally, buffalo to kansas for a girl. hopefully this will be the last move because i am getting sick of it...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Surlysomething

Quote:
this is the first time i'll be moving for a girl!

first move was from buffalo to california with my parents for my dad's job. then a few years later California to louisiana to get my child back. then louisiana to buffalo for family. then buffalo back to california for a job. california to florida for family (temporarily) florida to buffalo for family again and, finally, buffalo to kansas for a girl. hopefully this will be the last move because i am getting sick of it...
That's insane. You need to start making people move to you for a change.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
That's insane. You need to start making people move to you for a change.
i agree. and this girl was willing too but it's way easier (and waaaaaaay less expensive) for me to move there.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Surlysomething

Quote:
i agree. and this girl was willing too but it's way easier (and waaaaaaay less expensive) for me to move there.

Do you have to uproot your daughter too? That would majorly suck.

Were you able to get a transfer with your job?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
JenFromOC
Awesome.

JenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions community

It's hard to move 3000 miles away. I moved for my significant other as well, and was fortunate enough to find a job in Pearl Harbor. 22 months from now, we are moving to Nebraska lol. Good luck, Bearsy!

Jen Rocks!!

I wanna get in trouble, I wanna start a fight!

And it's a great day to be alive- Travis Tritt
JenFromOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
bigpulve

bigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Nebraskas not so bad.

wait yes it is.

I wan to move to Pennsylvania for a girl.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Ninja Glutton
Film and Music Geek

Ninja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I moved from Philly to Los Angeles and it was pretty painless.

It's pretty cheap if you can fedex or UPS your essentials, brings your laptop/carryon with you on the plane, and hit up ikea for some cheap furniture/lamps/desks when you get there.

I didn't drive, so I had to make it as simple as possible.

Are you taking a car there? If so, that'd be even easier. Just load the thing up and stay at some cheap motels along the way.

I got homesick like the first night I was there, but, aside from that, the transition was really easy. I highly suggest everyone do this at some point in their life because it's really freeing.
Ninja Glutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
NoWayOut

NoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabliss View Post
That's all I've moved for, and I've done it three times. Moved to Missouri from Virginia for college, moved to Idaho for a job, moved to Iowa for a different job.
NoWayOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
TheLargeLawStudent

TheLargeLawStudent can now change their title

I am a "moving away from somewhere" expert, haha! Grew up in San Diego, and since turning 18 I've lived in Charleston, SC, Tulsa, OK, Pensacola, FL, Memphis, TN, and now Minneapolis, MN. Not to mention the year I spent traveling in Japan. Like Lee Marvin said in "Paint Your Wagon", I was born under a wanderin' star, haha!

First, all the tips on here have been GREAT! But my number one piece of advice is prepare yourself mentally. If this is the first time that you're going to be away from (1) your hometown, and (2) your family, then get ready for an extended adjustment time during your first few months. I've never been a shy or timid person, so when I first moved away a few months after I turned 18, I didn't fully appreciate the magnitude of what this move really meant. As a result, I'd say that for my first two or three months it was really hard to adjust. I had come from from a place where I had a ton of friends, I hung out with people everyday, and where I was close to my family. When I moved, it took a while before I developed the same level of friendship with other people, which of course is natural.

So, I recited all of that simply to illustrate my point, and to give you these two critical pieces of advice. (1) make these last few months in your hometown AMAZING! If and when you move, things change. Your friends from back home will still be great friends, but it's different when your living on the other side of the continent and aren't around each other every day. That goes for your family as well. Simply put, if you move, then you won't be in these peoples lives everyday, so make this time count! (2) BE ACTIVE! Wherever you move to, don't stay still for your first couple of months. Break open the culture section of the magazine and find something to do everyday! Do this and you will meet a whole ton of awesome people, who will grow to be great friends, and thereby create a whole new support system of folks in your new town. Simply stated, DON'T BE SHY! Living in new places is an amazing way to grow as a person, so it's great that you're doing this! Just don't underestimate what it it is you're leaving, and more directly to the point, WHO it is that you're leaving behind!

Good luck and happy traveling!!!!
TheLargeLawStudent is offline   Reply With Quote