Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
project219

project219 can now change their title
Default Buffalo Wings or Chicken Wings?

So, Buffalo Wings or Chicken wings? What do you call them and how do you take them?

Being from so close to Buffalo myself and growing up here all my life... I call them Chicken wings or just Wings. How I normally take them? Medium or Mild, Hot if It's a hot sauce I like. Also, Bleu Cheese. Save the Ranch for the salads!
project219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

We have a difference between the two. Buffalo is normally heavy on sauce and has spice. Chicken wings are anything made from the wings. Whether thats messy or not makes no dif.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
We have a difference between the two. Buffalo is normally heavy on sauce and has spice. Chicken wings are anything made from the wings. Whether thats messy or not makes no dif.
This.

All Buffalo Wings are chicken wings, but not all chicken wings are Buffalo Wings. It's the sauce.......
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
This.

All Buffalo Wings are chicken wings, but not all chicken wings are Buffalo Wings. It's the sauce.......
Yeah, that's how it is in my area too (Northeastern PA but also NYC Metro area)

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I generally just call them 'wings' regardless of what is on them. I've really only heard people who don't live in the area call them Buffalo wings.

I like them mild, or with Boss Sauce* or Country Sweet**, crispy with bleu cheese.

50% of my diet consists of garbage plates, chicken wings, Wegmans subs and white hots.. how do people survive outside of Western NY?

*http://stores.bosssauce.com/StoreFront.bok
**http://rocwiki.org/Country_Sweet
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Yeah, but...

When I hear the word "wings," it just implies some type of chicken wings with buffalo sauce. So, for me, to say "buffalo-wings" seems a little redundant, even if it really isn't. If it's wings with a Thai-peanut sauce or, maybe, teriyaki, or Bbq, that should just be specified as a modifier. Kind of like if you asked for a Coke, it's just assumed you mean a regular Coca-Cola Classic or whatever other regular cola is available, as opposed to a Diet-Coke or CherryVanilla Coke or Orange Coke or whatever....

What matters most to me (with respect to wings), and this is something some of you have talked about before, has the do with the relative size of the wing and the temperature of the oil. If you go to a place that uses larger wings (say 10:1, 12:1) and they run their fryer hot, this will tend to produce an order that's got a good bit of white meat that's juicy-moist (although thoroughly cooked) but with skin that's sufficiently crispy. I prefer a hotter-spicy wing; but, honestly, that something I can easily fix with a little bit of tabasco sauce at the table if it's not to my liking. On the other hand, what I can't fix is if the sauce is insufficiently viscous. This is why even the oven-fried wings (you tend to see this more in some bigger kitchens when they're trying to put out hundreds of wings at a time) are preferable to taking them out of the fryer and letting them sit in a pool of runny saucy, cause some of the sauce-then will reduce back into the skin...

The other thing I don't like is when some places will use a little bit of traditionally "bbq-flavor" in the buffalo sauce. Or it's just that the cook is using the same bowl or container to toss all of the different flavors of wings
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
metabliss
Just cool enough 4 school

metabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot pics

I call them chicken wings just like everyone else in WNY. I have a hard time calling them Buffalo Wings cuz in my mind it's like "duh, what other kind of wings would I be talking about". I never order wings when I'm outside of WNY anyway. Call it elitism if you want
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We in the south call them Buffalo wings as before the Buffalo craze started we used to have all kinds of flavors available.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I haven't seen anything by the name of Buffalo wings around here, but it does seem to be an American thing. I love getting the jumbo chicken wings from Dominos when we get pizza, but I wish they weren't so spicy. They're not overly hot, but just hotter than my preference level.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

Unlike penguin, I often prefer them as hot as possible.

When I eat wings I want tears in my eyes, my nose to run and sweat pouring down my head. And a beer to wash 'em down.

Last edited by riplee; 01-22-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: why not?
riplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a real wuss when it comes to spicy food and I'm not ashamed
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
project219

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabliss View Post
I call them chicken wings just like everyone else in WNY. I have a hard time calling them Buffalo Wings cuz in my mind it's like "duh, what other kind of wings would I be talking about". I never order wings when I'm outside of WNY anyway. Call it elitism if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I generally just call them 'wings' regardless of what is on them. I've really only heard people who don't live in the area call them Buffalo wings.

I like them mild, or with Boss Sauce* or Country Sweet**, crispy with bleu cheese.

50% of my diet consists of garbage plates, chicken wings, Wegmans subs and white hots.. how do people survive outside of Western NY?

Huzzah for the WNYers! And dear god Meta I am right up there with you. When I'm not anywhere near Buffalo, I stay away from wings. Stupid baked wings. >_>.

Last time I was in North Carolina, a bunch of family bought pizza and wings and the wings were like baked chicken... Don't they know that you gotta fry them up?! An Injustice!

Thatgirl. Don't forget about Beef on Weck and Zweigles hot dogs! Two of the best WNY food staples. Sadly, there isn't a Wegmans near me but then again... there isn't even a mighty taco around me anymore, bastards closed it a few years ago and turned it into a jewelry store! I also am on the fence about how so much of the rest of the country is missing how good Tim Hortons is.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
metabliss

metabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot picsmetabliss does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post

I have never had a Garbage plate but I have friends who go to The ROC just to get them. I have contemplated this myself. I'll make it there someday haha. Also: Wegamn's subs FTW!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project219 View Post
Thatgirl. Don't forget about Beef on Weck and Zweigles hot dogs! Two of the best WNY food staples. Sadly, there isn't a Wegmans near me but then again... there isn't even a mighty taco around me anymore, bastards closed it a few years ago and turned it into a jewelry store! I also am on the fence about how so much of the rest of the country is missing how good Tim Hortons is.
I got Zweigles with the white hot comment! I didn't know Beef on a Weck was a WNY thing too.. so delicious.. seriously how do people survive?!

Quote:
I have never had a Garbage plate but I have friends who go to The ROC just to get them. I have contemplated this myself. I'll make it there someday haha. Also: Wegamn's subs FTW!
Believe me.. it's so worth!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

What's Beef on a Weck? What's a Garbage Plate?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
danbsc29630

danbsc29630 can now change their title

Chicken wings are what you get at KFC the wing piece that has the flat, the drumette, and the wingtip. Buffalo wings are the flat and the drumette separated and cooked.
danbsc29630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
metabliss

Quote:
A beef on weck is sliced roast beef on a kimmelweck roll. Kimmelweck roll has salt and caraway seeds on it. A lot of people put au jus and horse radish on them. A garbage plate is a legend in Rochester, NY. It's like a bunch of different food piled together on the same plate. I've never had one, but I'm sure thatgirl08 could explain it better, being a Rochester native

P.S. for any WNYers: Danny's, in addition to Chickenwing soup, also has a beef on weck soup that I am dying to try!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Quote:
A beef on weck is sliced roast beef on a kimmelweck roll. Kimmelweck roll has salt and caraway seeds on it. A lot of people put au jus and horse radish on them. A garbage plate is a legend in Rochester, NY. It's like a bunch of different food piled together on the same plate. I've never had one, but I'm sure thatgirl08 could explain it better, being a Rochester native

P.S. for any WNYers: Danny's, in addition to Chickenwing soup, also has a beef on weck soup that I am dying to try!
There's a lot of variations on a garbage plate now, and a lot of different places that make them around here but the original garbage plate has a choice of two meats: hot dogs, cheeseburgers, hamburgers; and two sides: macaroni salad, baked beans, french fries, home fries. Take one of those white sytrofoam containers, put the sides on the bottom, cover that with the meat, and then layer meat hot sauce, mustard and onions over the whole thing. Usually comes with a slice or two of Italian bread and butter on the side. So. fucking. good. I eat mine with mac salad, fries, two cheeseburgers and extra onions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_plate
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

BUFFALO! Oh my god, there was a place that used to just do wings when I was in high school. They had like 1250 flavors of wings.

I used to eat there all the time, and one night I went for what was called Atomic Hell 5. They no longer carry that flavor... I cried. I was literally crying... and I couldn't taste anything for a week.

And I'd do it again.

PS: Is it terrible I'm going to a school event just because it's catered by a local wings place?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just a quick note... prior to this thread, the only time I'd heard of a garbage plate, was the three-meat bbq plate (chicken,ribs, and brisket) served with a garbage can lid at Famous Dave's:
Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm more of a saucy wing person, like the ones available at Wingers (with Ring of Fire habanero sauce ) or KFC ( their red pepper sauce)

Hooters wings are awful. The big boobs on the waitresses just will not get me to try their wings again.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
metabliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
BUFFALO! Oh my god, there was a place that used to just do wings when I was in high school. They had like 1250 flavors of wings.

I used to eat there all the time, and one night I went for what was called Atomic Hell 5. They no longer carry that flavor... I cried. I was literally crying... and I couldn't taste anything for a week.

And I'd do it again.

PS: Is it terrible I'm going to a school event just because it's catered by a local wings place?
It's not terrible

I must go to this wing place. Bubblegum flavored wings, eh? Madness I say! But a lot of these flavors looked really good! Believe it or not, flavored wings (other than hot, medium, mild, and bbq), just caught on here in Buffalo in the last few years. More and more pizza places are offering more wing flavors. But not as many as the the Wings-n-things place you just posted!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post

And I'd do it again.

Holy CRAP I need to go to that place.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just a quick note... prior to this thread, the only time I'd heard of a garbage plate, was the three-meat bbq plate (chicken,ribs, and brisket) served with a garbage can lid at Famous Dave's:
I need this. I need to eat this. Like now.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
project219

Wow... Frito Lay flavored wings... I What this is... I don't even.

There's Such a thing as too many choices for wings now! XD