Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
olly5764

olly5764 can now change their title
Default breakfast

I was chatting to a friend of mine from the other side of the atlantic about breakfast, and telling her what I had had. Having first explained what a full english was, I then had to explain what black pudding was and that brown sauce was not gravy!
So my question is, what would be your ideal breakfast?
Mine would be Bacon, eggs, Sausage, tomato, beans, black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread and brown sauce. I'd be interested to hear what people around the world would have.
olly5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A bagel (toasted, please) with cream cheese (or peanut butter), fresh fruit, and two cups of coffee.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Either a very fresh bagel with green onion cream cheese and smoked salmon, with a few bites of fresh fruit and a small Greek yogurt with a dollop of honey, and a bit of juice and coffee or tea.

OR

My grandmother's German pancakes which are more like slightly thicker crepes (topped with an obscene quantity of butter and sugar) and lots of bacon *slightly soft), with some juice and coffee or tea.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 02-01-2012 at 05:05 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

About twice a year, when I was young, I'd come in from doing farm chores to a breakfast of fried liver and onions on my mother's homemade bread. That was a wonderful breakfast.

Today, I most often have 2 pieces of toast, one with PB and the other with jam - but never will I put them together in a sandwich. Also a yogurt and a glass of juice.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
About twice a year, when I was young, I'd come in from doing farm chores to a breakfast of fried liver and onions on my mother's homemade bread. That was a wonderful breakfast.
Pretty much anything involving homemade bread is a wonderful breakfast.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Windigo
The wolf spirit

Windigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized rep

Hmm, can I have a breakfast buffet? Lol.. So many things that come to mind

I think my perfect breakfast buffet would at least include the following items:

Breads & buns:
-French bread
-Cinnamon buns
-Jelly donuts
-Bagels
-Sour dough bread
-Blueberry muffins

Fresh fruits and juices:
-Fresh squeezed orange juice
-Fresh squeezed blood orange juice
-Fresh mangoes
-Fresh berries of all sorts
-Fresh watermelon
-Fresh peaches

Hot dishes:
-Potato wedges
-Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon
-Roasted mushrooms with garlic and parsley
-Sausages
-Tea and hot chocolate

Cold items:
-French cheese
-Jelly
-Butter
-Deli slices of quality meat
-Chocolate mousse for with the fruit.. because that rocks
-Greek yoghurt
-Granola with dried apricots, white chocolate and nuts
-Full fat cream

Eh..yeah that would about it And I'd have some of all of that
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I still love the Swiss-style breakfasts and enjoy them every time I go back there: Coffee (small cups, not the giant buckets we have here), several types of the dense, crunchy European bread, several types of cheeses, butter, several types of jams and preserves, perhaps a boiled egg, perhaps a small selection of smoked meats, cut very thinly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swiss_breakfast.jpg (72.4 KB, 164 views)
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Mmmmm...I do adore breakfasts of all sorts, it's hard to choose. .

#1 would be Eggs Neptune...which is the same as Eggs Benedict except replacing the ham with crab meat.
#2. A great, fresh bagel, lightly toasted, with cream cheese and lox.
#3. French Toast w/maple syrup and sausages.
#4. A good corned beef hash / Or a fry-up

But really, I can't think of a breakfast food I don't like! Love it all...pancakes, eggs, waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, yoghurt, breakfast burritos, even the continental...it's all good! The key is the quality of said items.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly5764 View Post
I was chatting to a friend of mine from the other side of the atlantic about breakfast, and telling her what I had had. Having first explained what a full english was, I then had to explain what black pudding was and that brown sauce was not gravy!
So my question is, what would be your ideal breakfast?
Mine would be Bacon, eggs, Sausage, tomato, beans, black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread and brown sauce. I'd be interested to hear what people around the world would have.
I love the typical Irish breakfast,minus the pudding, and I prefer to make boxty from leftover mashed potatoes.

I fry bacon and link sausage(or ham and patty sausage),fried eggs,fried thick toast,fresh tomatoes(canned stewed whole ones will work in a pinch), floured and butter fried potato cakes(boxty), I sometimes have beans,or fried canned button mushrooms if I use canned tomatoes or canned whole potatoes.

If I'm having breakfast at home though, nothing beats a big fluffy buttermilk biscuit,super,super salty country ham,fresh garden ripe tomatoes cut thick,red eye gravy(bitter coffee and ham drippings),grits, and a super runny bacon fried egg. White gravy,and sausage gravy are amazing with biscuits and tomatoes. Typically if I eat a biscuit with just meat in the middle I get hot sausage and add yellow mustard and tons of onions.

When I was in college I ate fried Spam or baloney and cheese toast a lot.(cheese toast the proper way is white bread on a well buttered baking sheet,with slices of American cheese product,baked till the edge of the bread is golden and the cheese starts to brown and bubble.

And of course the 'egg in the middle'(egg in a basket) is still a very yummy nostalgic good eat.

Rice and canned corned beef hash....I could go on forever.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Proner
Scruffy Scruffy

Proner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions communityProner is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I usually get typical French breakfast getting:

Lemon or orange juice
Little bowl of cereals
Apple or banana
Some bread with jam
Cup of coffee

And that's get me start the day great and not looking like a starving zombie
Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
I still love the Swiss-style breakfasts and enjoy them every time I go back there: Coffee (small cups, not the giant buckets we have here), several types of the dense, crunchy European bread, several types of cheeses, butter, several types of jams and preserves, perhaps a boiled egg, perhaps a small selection of smoked meats, cut very thinly.
Holy God this looks so good.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Holy God this looks so good.
It really does!
My first girlfriend was an exchange student from Switzerland, and some of the bread and cheese she would get from the international market and serve for breakfast was to die for. And the jams are unlike anything I've tasted since.

The only meat she really served was a weird liverwurst type thing, I think it wurst,it tasted like smokey pate and dried meat.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm really happy with a bowl of hot soup for breakfast. Best breakfast for me is a slice, toasted, buttered onion or garlic bagel and a bowl of brocolli cheese or beef barley soup to dip it in. Hits the spot every time.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I tend to eat a lot of non-breakfast foods at breakfast time, mostly because I go to bed most days around 6am so if I'm feeling peckish at that hour, its actually dinner or a late night snack.

Ignoring that though, I do love a lot of breakfast foods and I love them not only for the first meal of the day, but pretty much any other meal of the day. Its so hard to have a favourite. I do have to confess though, while I love most of the components of the "full english" or "full irish" breakfast on their own, frankly the combo tends to scare me. I suspect thats because most of my experience with it was in hotel restaurants. I will not count the British Airways version I had once with a baked bean omelet against all of you however, that would be cruel. Given the choice between the two I prefer the streaky bacon to bangers, but if given the chance to have a good banger I might reconsider. When we've traveled in Europe I far prefer the more Swiss/German style continental breakfasts where I can have some yogurt and fruit, perhaps some bread with meat and cheese, or some European Nutella which is superior to what we can get here in the states.

Back here in America - it rather depends on my mood. There's a local joint that makes pretty good belgium waffles and when they can get good ones - they serve them with fresh strawberries and lightly sweetened whipped cream (real). A good bagel with a schmear of cream cheese and some smoked salmon is always nice too. Breakfast sandwiches with fried eggs and bacon have their charm too, as do biscuits with sorgum and a bit of bacon.

Having prattled on about all that though, if I had to pick one single dish to have for my "last breakfast" it would be my own recipe that I tend to reserve for snow days, sick days and funeral mornings. It requires a bit of an excuse....

First step, in a heavy nonstick saucepan fry up some good thick cut bacon to your desired level of crispiness. I tend to go for about 3 slices per person.

Set bacon aside to drain, if you fried less then 4 slices of bacon do not drain off any of the fat but instead fry 2-3 cage-free organic eggs per person in it. If you cooked more bacon then that you'll have to remove some grease and save it for later. I always cook the eggs over easy and keep them really soft and runny but if I'm making it for hubby I'll break his yolks for him and fry them up hard (sigh).

Place the fried eggs in the bottom of a deep soup bowl and set aside.

Cook old-fashioned grits (Please for the love of God, not the instant or quick kind) in the same saucepan that you've cooked the eggs in, and that still has the bacon grease in it. Standard package directions, perhaps a pinch more grits then called for to make it thick. Do not forget to salt these sufficiently or they will be horrid. When nearly done toss in some freshly shredded sharp cheddar and lots of freshly ground cracked black pepper. Pour cheese grits over the previously cooked eggs and garnish with the reserved bacon crumbled into smaller pieces. If you want to gild the lilly you can throw a handful of the nice precooked turkey (or pork) sauage crumbles that they sell in the frozen section of the grocery store into the grits when you start to boil the water.

To eat, scoop down through the grits and break the egg yolk, using the yolk a bit like fudge sauce underneath ice cream. Afterwards, go back to bed and take a nap.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Biscuits and sausage or white gravy, a toasted cinnamon-raisin bagel with cream cheese, plain ol biscuits to put any combination of Virginia ham, eggs fried over easy, and cheese on, bacon, sausage (super-spicy patties or big honkin sausages - not little links if I can help it), hash browns smothered in cheese, strawberries and perfectly-ripe melon.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
olly5764

am i the only one that has brown sauce? lol
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't even know what brown sauce is. lol.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

What is brown sauce? The only thing I know, from a previous post in this thread, is that it's NOT gravy.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
What is brown sauce? The only thing I know, from a previous post in this thread, is that it's NOT gravy.
My granny was Irish and ate A1 on evvvverrrryhting, and she called it brown sauce. I think it's any brown steak/meat sauce.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I like most breakfast food too, but I just love a full Scottish breakfast of link sausages, bacon, fried eggs, potato scones, black pudding, fruit pudding, mushrooms, fried tomato, morning rolls, tea and orange juice. NO BEANS.

This photo is the nearest I can find, but I'd want two sausages, and my tomato fried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full-scottish-breakfast.jpg (29.4 KB, 119 views)
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
olly5764

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
Its kind of like a Ketchup, brown, and spicy instead of tomato
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is brown sauce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce I do really like it on bacon I wouldn't put it on steak though.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #23
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

My favorite breakfast is biscuits & gravy.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
olly5764

there's a number of folks who have said biscuits, what sort????
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

Biscuits are different over here. They're like rolls or muffins.

Edit: I've never been to England, so I can't vouch, but I'm told they're somewhat similar to your scones.

Last edited by BigBeautifulMe; 02-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.