Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Russell Williams
Master Member

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Both Louise and her future look good. Thanks to More2me

Today Louise Wolfe had her hip replacement surgery. There were no problems with the surgery and her time in the recovery room was within normal parameters. She was taken back to her room, ate some lunch, and then started taking a nap.

She explained to me that she prefers to moan alone and therefore I should go home and come back tomorrow.

I was very, very, worried about surgery and I am glad that we have gotten through it. There is a reasonable hope that her mobility will be significantly to vastly improved.

I just found this posted by Moore2me. Wish I'd found it a week or two ago. I thank her very much for finding and posting it.
Source
London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5A5. richard.mccalden@lhsc.on.ca

Abstract
We evaluated the outcome of primary total hip replacement (THR) in 3290 patients with the primary diagnosis of osteoarthritis at a minimum follow-up of two years. They were stratified into categories of body mass index (BMI) based on the World Health Organisation classification of obesity. Statistical analysis was carried out to determine if there was a difference in the post-operative Western Ontario and McMaster Universities osteoarthritis index, the Harris hip score and the Short-Form-12 outcome based on the BMI. While the pre- and post-operative scores were lower for the group classified as morbidly obese, the overall change in outcome scores suggested an equal if not greater improvement compared with the non-morbidly obese patients. The overall survivorship and rate of complications were similar in the BMI groups although there was a slightly higher rate of revision for sepsis in the morbidly obese group. Morbid obesity does not affect the post-operative outcome after THR, with the possible exception of a marginally increased rate of infection. Therefore withholding surgery based on the BMI is not justified.

(Link provided by Moore2me)

Russell Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Marlayna
Counting my blessings.

Marlayna knows EXACTLY what's going onMarlayna knows EXACTLY what's going onMarlayna knows EXACTLY what's going onMarlayna knows EXACTLY what's going onMarlayna knows EXACTLY what's going onMarlayna knows EXACTLY what's going on

Best of luck, get well soon.
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
moore2me
An Example To Others???

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dear Russell,

Thanks for the Kudos for the article. I sincerely hope Louise comes thru this new medical procedure with less trauma than she has run into in the past. Altho, the article said BMI should not be a factor in successful hip replacement, there are other factors that should be watched and managed (for all patients , not just Upper BMI ones). Keep an eye on -

1. Infection - you guys are experts in this
2. Therapy - get up and move around
3. Attitude - patient and family has positive expectations
4. Work - the road is long, steep, and winding (as the song says).

Good luck and good recovery Louise.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
ssflbelle

ssflbelle does more than just post hot picsssflbelle does more than just post hot pics

So glad to hear Louise finally had her surgery on her hip. I am still trying to get down to 250 so I can have my surgery as the Dr said he would not do it until I was down to that weight. I hope she has a great and speedy recovery and is walking and doing all she wants to again.
ssflbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Russell Williams
Master Member

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssflbelle View Post
So glad to hear Louise finally had her surgery on her hip. I am still trying to get down to 250 so I can have my surgery as the Dr said he would not do it until I was down to that weight. I hope she has a great and speedy recovery and is walking and doing all she wants to again.

Much of Louise's lost weight was, as best I can figure it out, do a very long drawn out digestive tract infection. When the digestive tract infection was no longer a problem Louise started rapidly regaining weight. At the day of her surgery she weighed 376 pounds. I was fearful that the surgeon might decide that after the rapid weight gain he would decide he could not safely do her. That did not happen.

In church there are several nurses who attend. I also attend the meetings of several local service groups. Many and probably most of the people in all these groups know Louise. Every single person, including the nurses, that chose to comment on the qualifications and reputation of the surgeon said things to the effect of "He is the best."

I asked a bunch of detailed questions of the Dr. and some members of his staff. When I asked about him doing people who weighed over 300 pounds a staff member responded that he does about one of those a week.

At some point I may have been told what surgery you are attempting to have but now that the Canadian study has Has come out it may be possible to find a highly competent surgeon who is willing to your operation at your current weight.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
ChickletsBBW
Mostly a Voyeur :)

ChickletsBBW does more than just post hot picsChickletsBBW does more than just post hot picsChickletsBBW does more than just post hot pics

I'm glad she was able to get her surgery and I wish a speedy and healthy full recovery
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Russell Williams
Master Member

Default We hope that the same happens to you.

(Successful operation and speedy recovery)

And soon and covered by insurance.

(Hey, we can dream of good things)