Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The numbers and shame game

I'm at a point where I really do like my body as it is, and can look at myself in both my naked and dressed states and think I'm looking pretty good. But when it comes to the numbers, it's a different matter. I'm okay with the numbers when it's bra, dress or shirt sizes, but when it comes to skirt, pants, underpants, measurements or weight it's different and I'm not sure why. I guess it's because society tells us that certain numbers are okay and desirable and others aren't, and even though I know that's not true, it's a hard thing to shake. It's all internal, too, because I can fine with it in general and for other people, but when it comes to me and my numbers, it's wrong, it's too big, I'm too fat, it's embarrassing.

It's especially hard to tell someone else what those numbers are, and I have to fight to not be overwhelmed by such a sense of shame to admit what size I need, even to someone who loves fat women. You'd think it'd be easy then, but it's not. Even if I know they're more than okay with it, it's just so hard to get past.

It's kind of strange, I guess, because from what I've seen, a lot of FAs LOVE the numbers game. You see it all over the boards, where they talk about how big this model's ass is and how heavy that one is. The numbers are good to them, but I get the feeling a lot of them have no idea what the real world application of having them is like. Certainly not when it comes to buying underwear or pants to fit over your thighs and butt. It's one reason I prefer loose fitting dresses and skirts, because I know they'll fit over. I miss wearing pants, because I'm not sure my thighs will fit into the ones advertised, even on the fat girl sites.

Long ramble aside, I was interested in who else feels or has felt this way, and what do you do to work past it?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
sgageny

sgageny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessgageny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I definitely can feel your pain on the pants side of things, I can rarely (never?) Find jeans in my size or many pants and after many change room shaming episodes (Fucking unhelpful sales assistants) I usually just op for a skirt/dress option.
Its shitty cause I like to think of myself as a body confident kick arse kinda gal. Then my traitor self conscious side turns up to kick my notion of having body acceptance in the arse.

I'm fine naked and in a skirt......body issues = zero. But get me in a pair of pants and twilight zone less confident me appears.

I gotta work past those demons. I guess it always shows that personal growth(pun) is a never ending cycle.
sgageny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
It's especially hard to tell someone else what those numbers are, and I have to fight to not be overwhelmed by such a sense of shame to admit what size I need, even to someone who loves fat women. You'd think it'd be easy then, but it's not. Even if I know they're more than okay with it, it's just so hard to get past.
I hope no one will mind if I interject my little bit of foolishness in here.

What I want to say to you penguin, is this... Thank you for giving me a bit of insight into something about my late wife I never understood. We talked about almost everything, but in our last 10 years together, we never ever discussed her weight, or size, at least not "the numbers". While I was curious, I never dwelt on it, I was sure if I needed to know for some reason she would tell me.

My wife was barely 5'1 so when she shopped for clothes, she had to go to the "petite" section of the two local places that had her sizes available. I was rarely privileged to go with her, since most of the time she went while I was working. I did notice that as she reached a certain "size" she began doing something I thought strange. .she began removing the size tags from her clothes.

It didn't dawn on me at first, I mean sometimes tags disappear, or fall off, but none of hers were there. (we shared laundry duties quite often) I thought it odd, but realized she didn't want me to know how "big" she had gotten, or at least not what "size" she was. I really didn't care, but once she passed the 300 pound mark the tags began to disappear. I don't even remember what size she was, but it was after a doctor's visit.

She was so self-conscious of it, even when she became very ill, and I was taking her to the doctor, or hospital. . I left the room when they weighed her, (out of respect for her wishes of course) It wasn't until after a surgery she had to remove an abscess from her spine (which had paralyzed her) that I learned what her actual weight was. (the bed had a scale built into it) I never let her know I found out. I'm not going to say what the number was, it's unimportant, but it was to her. .

I never understood these things, I always did what I could to let her know how beautiful, special and loved she was, and she knew. . She let everyone know how loved and cared for she was. . yet she was never able to overcome those numerical demons. .

I want to thank you again, for shedding some light on these things, it's something I had indeed wondered about, but never had an answer for. .Thanks for being so open.. It is truly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgageny View Post
I'm fine naked and in a skirt......body issues = zero. But get me in a pair of pants and twilight zone less confident me appears.

I gotta work past those demons. I guess it always shows that personal growth(pun) is a never ending cycle.
It really is something we have to keep working on. I guess I need to make myself some pants, because then I'll be sure they'll fit my thighs and butt. I'm not sure my skills are quite up to that as yet, but practice will make perfect, and it might make it easier for me to work through those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveller View Post
I want to thank you again, for shedding some light on these things, it's something I had indeed wondered about, but never had an answer for. .Thanks for being so open.. It is truly appreciated!
You're welcome
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Jeeshcristina

Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Jeeshcristina has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgageny View Post
I definitely can feel your pain on the pants side of things, I can rarely (never?) Find jeans in my size or many pants and after many change room shaming episodes (Fucking unhelpful sales assistants) I usually just op for a skirt/dress option.
Its shitty cause I like to think of myself as a body confident kick arse kinda gal. Then my traitor self conscious side turns up to kick my notion of having body acceptance in the arse.

THIS is spot on. As soon as the jeans come on, the confidence goes down. It's something about a pair of jeans that can make you look super hot, or really really awful. I've learned that a straight leg works best on me, and I try to find a more relaxed thigh when possible. A Levis 512 in a bootcut is a pretty flattering style as well.

I feel lazy if I go the leggings route, so I'm always on the hunt for longer dresses/skirts.
Jeeshcristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Sweetnlow

Sweetnlow has super-sized repSweetnlow has super-sized repSweetnlow has super-sized repSweetnlow has super-sized repSweetnlow has super-sized rep
Default not a problem for me

I weigh 319 pounds which is 145 kg. I am about 5´8 tall or 173 cm. I've gained about 50 lbs the past year and i have outgrown my pants. The weight gain has caused sort of immobility i can't go boxing like i used to do. I have no problem with the numbers at all. I wear the biggest size in the plus size store and i don't care. What bothers me is that i can't do sports like i could when i was smaller. So I guess it's different for everyone. If i weighed 500 lbs and could move i wouldn't mind. Hope you get my point.
Sweetnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
penguin
Fnord

I do get your point, but it doesn't really help me much.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I know the numbers game is so frustrating. I don't see myself weighing as much as I do. I don't feel I weigh as much as I do and I don't feel I look the size in numbers that I am.

Mind you, most women at my size weigh less than I do while they're still taller than me, so that in itself is frustrating. The fact that I look like I weigh at least 75 lbs less than I actually do is something that frustrates me to no end. And when I try to lose weight, I will go down in dress sizes, but my weight will go up, and I get angry and frustrated, so I stop all efforts.

The numbers game has been the worst part of being fat. When I can ignore the numbers, life as a fat person is barely noticeably different than that of a thin person. At least for me.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I weigh more than I look too. It's been medically explained but it doesn't help.

When someone asks me my 'numbers', I don't appreciate it because there's so much more to me than a number, and it's often the first thing a stranger asks, not to mention the men who say, you don't LOOK like you're an SSBBW.....are you sure you are one?

I don't feel any shame over them. I've posted my weight here and there. And I don't think it's the defacto ultimate acceptance of oneself to proudly announce it. For some yes, for others, no.

Then I have the opposite effect of Carla--I've lost 75 lbs. and not dropped more than a dress size. I waltz into a plus-size store thinking I can fit into their largest sheath style dress and I can't get it over my head or up past my mid calf and think--wtf... I DO like my body at its shape, size and weight (mostly) and don't plan on any future renovating but truly, when it comes to bodies, never mind clothing, one size does not fit all, whether it be the owner or the admirer.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 03-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm with everyone on pants. Skirts and leggings all the way.

As for numbers, I don't know what to say. You could be like me, and not have the ability to make normative judgements based on abstract data, or you could be like most other functioning people. Numbers don't mean mush to me, which is why I have the damndest time getting stressed over deadlines, keeping pinpoint track of time or money, or accurately gauging distances. For me, there is enough and not enough, and close and I-don't-know-where-it-is. It is actually this inability to quantify things which leads me to gain in the first place. I simply don't think that I'm eating that much (I rarely eat to the point of discomfort), and 200 lbs is the same as 250 in the grand cosmic scheme. I have a friend who feels short at 5'3", and I think of her as the same height as me (5'9"). If I don't have to crane my neck to look up at you, or stoop to talk to you, you're my height.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are able to feel any horror over debt, get stressed over deadlines, or accurately plan an itinerary, your weight shame may just be the flip side of your brain's ability to do those things.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Halie

Halie can now change their title

Quote:
*snip*
I can relate to this. At one point, I couldn't even bring myself to tell my mom what size my bottom half was. I've done things such as cut the size label out of coats in case someone noticed the number when I took my coat off. Which they wouldn't, unless they've got eyesight like a hawk.

I even have a rail in one of my storage cupboards with about 5 pairs of jeans (never been worn and still with tags) ranging from a UK 22 - 24. Friends and family, over the years, have guessed at my size and bought me them as Christmas presents. I've just always sheepishly accepted them and there they hang gathering dust.

FWIW I'm a UK 24-26 top, 30-32 bottom and I haven't been able to get in a 24 pair of jeans/trousers since I was in my teens.

Quote:
Long ramble aside, I was interested in who else feels or has felt this way, and what do you do to work past it?
I pretend it doesn't bother me. I'll give them out matter-of-fact and I find this the best way for me. I won't make jokes about it though, for e.g. I couldn't ever say "Oh, I need 'fatty sizes'" as I did that once and the supervisor looked at me as if I was cracked.

When I started at my present job (and even now) I was the largest woman there. I would constantly handwring as to why they took me on, I'm no 'dolly'. We also have to wear a uniform and when I was asked for my sizes so it could be ordered I just wanted to run out of there. Until I realised the person didn't have a smile or smirk on their face.

I figured then, I needed to get a grip of myself and make out this is no big deal to me even though it was. The person didn't even blink, just wrote it down.

Even when the suit came in and the trousers didn't fit me there were never any snidey remarks or laughter to my face - which I was expecting. I don't doubt they might comment out of my earshot but I've never had any nastiness to my face about my size from my colleagues.

I still feel I have to pluck up courage to ask the shop staff in Evans for my correct size. Also if I walk around a shop with an item of clothing, I'll put my thumb over the little button on the hanger that tells you what size it is (again, in case someone with hawk-eyes can see it from a distance ) but thanks to work, I don't get as anxious or secretive about sharing my stats with people as I used to.
Halie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm 5'4" and weigh 335. I'm not ashamed of the numbers and I never fudge the numbers if asked. Doesn't mean I won't say 'none of your business' if I feel someone is being rude, but I certainly don't lie about my weight on my driver's license.

Numbers shame isn't just fat girl territory; smaller sized women have the same hangups. So do guys. It's all worrying about what someone else will think of you, and wanting their approval, but the fact is that you can't hide fat, or short, or tall, or any other physical attribute. I have a massive backside. If someone is going to judge me (positively or negatively) based on the size of my butt, the numbers aren't going to make any difference. I'm not 'proud' to be a fat chick -- it's not like it's a goal that I accomplished -- but I refuse to be apologetic or ashamed of my physical package. Did I always take this stance? No, but I've been fat forever and lived a lot of years, and learned to love myself and to say 'fuck them' along the way

The fashion industry sucks. I love how I look naked. I'd like to love how I look dressed, but the options just aren't out there to dress the way I want to dress without either tailoring items that I buy or having clothes made from scratch. I don't have the money, time, or energy for either. I buy the majority of my clothes online and mostly stick to jeans and casual tops. I tend to go for comfort over fashion. Used to feel bad about that every now and then, but a few months ago I read a blog post that I immediately wanted to share with every woman I know because of this one line: "Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'."

You Don't Have to Be Pretty

@penguin - We have similar shapes. Jeans not fitting my thighs is common. I wear these jeans from Woman Within in size 30 average. They ship internationally, jeans are often on sale, and often will have a coupon for free shipping / free returns.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Marlayna

Marlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocs View Post
I'm with everyone on pants. Skirts and leggings all the way.

As for numbers, I don't know what to say. You could be like me, and not have the ability to make normative judgements based on abstract data, or you could be like most other functioning people. Numbers don't mean mush to me, which is why I have the damndest time getting stressed over deadlines, keeping pinpoint track of time or money, or accurately gauging distances. For me, there is enough and not enough, and close and I-don't-know-where-it-is. It is actually this inability to quantify things which leads me to gain in the first place. I simply don't think that I'm eating that much (I rarely eat to the point of discomfort), and 200 lbs is the same as 250 in the grand cosmic scheme. I have a friend who feels short at 5'3", and I think of her as the same height as me (5'9"). If I don't have to crane my neck to look up at you, or stoop to talk to you, you're my height.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are able to feel any horror over debt, get stressed over deadlines, or accurately plan an itinerary, your weight shame may just be the flip side of your brain's ability to do those things.
That's a very interesting concept about the brain and what it focuses on. I believe you're right.

I get on the scale every few months, to see if more fat is sneaking up on me, and while that is usually the case, it's important for me to make more mindful choices, if I can.

I wear jeans with elastic waists, which stay up better, even though the material on the butt and thighs usually bag.
For some reason I don't do that well in skirts because big belly and smaller ass makes it hang all wrong, and I sometimes wind up wearing the back as the front.
I suppose I could alter the hem in the back to equal the front, but I don't sew, nor am I that picky when it comes to fashion perfection.
I wish they had an apple store just for apple shapes, it would make my shopping experience more of a joy, than a chore.
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Honestly, pants suck.

Because no two brands have the same size. And I have not found a pair of pants that actually fit. I have not found a pair of jeans that are tight through hip and calf, straight leg through the ankle that fit tight on my booty and comfortable on my waist. All that fit my belly are too loose all over, and the ones that fit my legs are too tight on my belly. I'm really pissed off.

Why do companies not realize that we are all shaped differently and then should get jeans cut differently!?!

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Halie

Halie can now change their title

Hmm I agree, no two pairs of trousers being the same size - even in the same shop! - totally twists my melon.

I was lucky to find two pairs of corduroy trousers in a sale in Evans, yesterday. Both are a size 30, standard leg - not a size I would usually pick up but I thought I'd chance my luck and tried them on. They both fit perfectly across my belly and hips but while one is just right in the leg, the other pair are a touch long

Cord is not exactly the most giving of materials and these aren't stretch, either.
Halie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
aocutiepi
a beautiful mess.

aocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
When someone asks me my 'numbers', I don't appreciate it because there's so much more to me than a number, and it's often the first thing a stranger asks, not to mention the men who say, you don't LOOK like you're an SSBBW.....are you sure you are one?

I just had this same thing happen to me, Casting. A guy was like, "Why are you calling yourself a BBW?"

My response, of course, was that I am big and beautiful and a woman, so it seems to fit.

He followed with, "But you don't look fat!"

I responded, "Well, I'm currently bouncing between 250-260 pounds, so I'd say I'm fat."

I was offended by this whole exchange, which I find a testament to how much Dims has boosted my self-confidence. I think he intended it to be flattery but it annoyed the crap out of me.

Then of course, he followed five minutes later with "Full body pics or I won't believe it..." which screamed skeevy to me.

FWIW, when I tell people I need to lose over 100 pounds to be at a "normal" weight they shake their heads in disbelief... like they have this idea in their head of what those numbers look like and I don't match it.

I ripped a hole in my only pair of pajama pants the other night and I had to run to the shop with my lab partner, a former beauty queen. Size 5/6. And when we popped into the Old Navy, where I usually get my pajama pants, they only had pants in stock up to XL... I usually get a XXL. I scanned the racks, frustrated, searching for an elusive XXL while bemoaning that they didn't have my size. She picked up a large and said, "Here! These are cute! You should try these on!" Like I could fit my big ole ass into a large. Please.

We ended up going to Target and Kohl's before I got so discouraged and ashamed that I resolved to order online from Old Navy and get express shipping. I couldn't bear to make her deal with my dilemma of not fitting in "normal" stores. I'm not sure why I get so embarrassed, since I'm becoming more comfortable with the numbers and the sizes... I guess it's just the shame from my youth coming back to rear it's ugly head.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Shopping with thin friends absolutely sucks plums.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocs View Post
Shopping with thin friends absolutely sucks plums.
I know! And sometimes it's the "understanding" friends that make it worse. "What do you mean they don't have your size?!" It's a whole new new world for them.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
imaginarydiva21

imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
I know the numbers game is so frustrating. I don't see myself weighing as much as I do. I don't feel I weigh as much as I do and I don't feel I look the size in numbers that I am.

Mind you, most women at my size weigh less than I do while they're still taller than me, so that in itself is frustrating. The fact that I look like I weigh at least 75 lbs less than I actually do is something that frustrates me to no end. And when I try to lose weight, I will go down in dress sizes, but my weight will go up, and I get angry and frustrated, so I stop all efforts.
this is post for me is spot oni dont see a fat girl in the mirror and for what i weigh my clothes size should be alot bigger i suppose it just comes down to body shapes and style of clothes
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
b0nnie

b0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging in

I hate the numbers game and not really because of the numbers but because of the importance others seem to put on them, the labels and ideas that come to their heads once they hear the numbers; I hate how people turn their head to one side and get that 'thinking' look while they look you up and down once they hear the numbers. I hate how some numbers are looked down on in the plus size community and how they are sneered at in the 'normal' world.

I usually don't tell people my numbers anymore just because I get so annoyed when I do tell people and they feel the need to tell me something along the lines of:

-"There is no way you weight that much."
-"Are you sure you wear that size?"

or from FA types:

-"That size isn't BBW, you shouldn't call yourself that."
-"Aww...you're so tiny"
-"You'd be really hot a few sizes bigger."

or the one I hate the most from anyone:

-"You aren't really fat"

I hate how some think I should be complimented by the fact that I look smaller then what I am and how others make me feel as if I'm less of person just because I'm not fatter, its as if being my size is something that is wrong or bad. I hate how some people in the BBW/FA community have told me (after talking numbers) that I might be a bit "chubby" but since I'm not really that big I don't understand most things that they talk about. I hate going into regular stores and getting weird looks from the skinny girls and I hate when I go into some plus size stores and get mean looks from the girls who are bigger then me.

I'm 5'3" about 250lbs, wear between a 16-24 depending on style, material, and all that crap. Buying pants suck; they fit my waist but are super baggy on my bottom and thighs, or they fit perfect on my legs but I can't get them to button on my tummy and if I am able to button them, I can't breathe or move. Actually buying lots of things kinda sucks...I have broad shoulders so sometimes a blouse/dress will look as it fits perfectly until I move my arms forward and I feel as if I'm going to rip out the back like the Hulk transforming. Buying underwear is the worse, the butt is too big, the waist is too high/not high enough, they fit perfectly but only for the first hour then they feel like a diaper. Ughh

I've dealt with it all by saying fuck it. I'm finally at a point in my life where I'm happy with me and I've stopped giving the power to those damn numbers and people's reactions to them. I look at clothes I like, and then proceed to try it on in about three different sizes...it's not about the size anymore for me but how the fit is. My numbers might belong to me but they do not define me.
b0nnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
imaginarydiva21

imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nnie View Post
My numbers might belong to me but they do not define me.
i love this statement you made
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

IMO think people have to stop playing the shame game to be free. we are what we are. our poundage, our measurements our ages etc... it's all a part of us. why be ashamed? it's true that it's not all of who we are but but we should not be running from that part of ourselves. it's our body. it's something to love.

its the way we live the rest of our lives that determines what out lasting identity will be with other people and whether all we ever let them see is our size because that is all we're ever concentrated on. we are the ones who set our definitions. if you concentrate on fat that is what you'll be to the people around you.

we have a choice about whether we keep accepting what society throws at us and i think we really need to stop using society as a reason why we keep beating ourselves up over who and what we are. we know its bogus to define our worth by that but we do it anyway. at the point when you know its bogus it becomes your responsibility to stop torturing yourself with it. if someone still insists on torturing themselves with it they should ask themselves why and what road can they get on to feel that they are worth more than the self flagellation for something they don't even believe in.

people who keep buying into it and feeling ashamed about their own numbers are only supporting the messed up part of society by being secretive. it's not really worth complaining about if you're not willing to break that old tired taboo because like it or not you're a big part of it. until an individual person can address their size, numbers and all, with the same emotional investment as they do their hair or eye color nothing will ever change for them. it's inside of you not outside of you.

Last edited by superodalisque; 11-30-2012 at 01:58 AM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

i'm going to throw something out there for discussion and/or thought. i don't think all thin people mean it as being dismissive or are even trying to be "nice" when they say they don't think of you as fat. for some they are saying they don't associate you with fat negativity and are not driven by what magazines and t.v say to assess you. they may be saying that they don't see you body judgment first. some see you as a friend first or a lover first or a coworker first or an intellectual playmate first. a lot of people really don't give a damn about your size. they have other things they'd rather think about.

i'm not sure the mentality you can get online that seems supportive in the beginning is always a healthy one, especially for the long term, because by their measure you do often go into the world fat first. it can be easy to forget that not everyone thinks that way IRL. even for people that do notice size initially it might be for the first ten seconds until you open your mouth and your human identity starts flowing out. if it's still so important after that something is wrong with the person and they just might even be some kind of sociopath no matter if they're are pro or against because YOU aren't mainly a person to them.

Last edited by superodalisque; 11-30-2012 at 02:20 AM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
i'm not sure the mentality you can get online that seems supportive in the beginning is always a healthy one, especially for the long term, because by their measure you do often go into the world fat first. it can be easy to forget that not everyone thinks that way IRL. even for people that do notice size initially it might be for the first ten seconds until you open your mouth and your human identity starts flowing out. if it's still so important after that something is wrong with the person and they just might even be some kind of sociopath no matter if they're are pro or against because YOU aren't mainly a person to them.
I really enjoyed your point here. It spoke to me quite personally. .IRL until you have interacted with someone, you have no idea other than visual stimuli on what to think of someone. Unless of course your interaction has been via non-visual means, like say the telephone, or text message... I'm only human, and so I confess the first time I saw a picture of SD, I thought her breathtaking. . However, after seeing posts from her here, and meeting her briefly at some function a few years ago, my overall feelings about her were more "fleshed out"(forgive the term) if you will. There's a great insight and intellect behind those eyes, (oh yes I look you in the eye, I want to see them) a full and complete human being, not that all different from myself.

I'm not one to go on and on. . just let me suffice to say, you need to be willing to get to know someone. Most of us are guilty of "labeling" people. I think it's part of our culture, I try not to do so, yet I'm subject to such frailties myself. It's worth the effort, if you want to get to know someone properly.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
PeanutButterfly

PeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticed

The worst part of the number shame game is not being able to buy clothes at the same stores as the rest of my friends. I'm a smaller BBW and I oscillate between a size 16 and 18 in jeans but can easily wear a size large or 12-14 top. So I'm ok when I want to go shopping for shirts with my friends but I can't bring myself to tell them that H&M's biggest jeans won't even get past my calf. So I NEVER go shopping with them for jeans because I'm too embarassed to ask them to go to Torrid with me. I doubt they've ever noticed but it's something I think about quite a bit.

In like the past 5 years some mainstream stores like Forever 21 have started to offer plus sizes which makes so super happy, EXCEPT they won't put them in stores. Like fat girls should just shame shop at home in the dark and not dare walk into their stores in the light of day. It's really frustrating because sometimes I actually want to try my jeans on instead of ordering offline and hoping for the best. Or I see this really cute dress that is finally made in my size but I have to pay an extra $7 shipping on top of the extra plus size price just to get it. I really hope that someday young fat girls will be able to go to these stores with their friends, find clothes that actually fit them and not be embarassed.

Or boots. Why is it that they only carry Wide Calf boots online? Skinny people have no idea how nice it is to waltz into a store and just try on a pair of riding boots. I just recently bought a Micheal Kors leather jacket in a 1x and I'm usually not a sucker for designers but it was such a great feeling to be able to buy something most college girls lust after and have it fit! I'm actually considering writing them an email thanking them for making leather jackets in 1x, 2x and 3x. Oddly enough I did have the urge to cut the size tag out but I refrained and I'm quite proud that I did. I wear a 1x, its ok to plus size. If I don't accept that first, how I can expect designers to create clothes for us?

I think the clothing issue is probably my biggest qualm being fat and when I still get the number/shame issue.
PeanutButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote