Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Dudes

I'm back poking around at Dims after something like 6 mos. gone (and shouldn't be; full disclosure--I have a major project due and am procrastinating; please tell me to stop posting) and I see a lot of dudes posting on the BBW board.

The few times I've posted on the FA/FFA board (even though I have some tendencies), it hasn't usually gone too well. Fair enough, I'm not dyed-in-the-wool, and certainly everyone has a right to a protected space to post his/her stuff. I get it.

But then I'm reading threads here, started by women looking for advice from other women, and it's a mini sausage party. hahaha. I don't mean mini sausage, but mini party. I'm guessing that if the average woman wanted advice from all sexes (see how I didn't type 'both' there, Dims?) she'd just post on the Main board. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

So have the rules changed? Relaxed? Am I, indeed, wrong about this? What's the state of the debate?

I'd like to hear your feedback. If you have a clam, that is.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

I agree, it's been bothering me as well. I haven't said anything because I figured it wouldn't do much good, I mean it's not like a mod hasn't seen it, and nothings been removed or been said so i figured someone relaxed the rules.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm confused about this, as well. I only ventured into the FA/FFA board once, and ended up with my post deleted without explanation, even though I was discussing the topic, said nothing offensive, et cetera. (Which is amusing, given my romantic history and beauty ideals. Whatever.) "BBW Forum" seems way more specific, and yet the rules appear to be far more lax.

Honestly, this kind of thing is just another reason I rarely post anymore.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For example, this BBW Board thread:

Meeting a guy from an online...

One of the first few responders is a dude. Then another. Then another. The one who tells the woman 'you're beautiful!' isn't sharing his experience as a fat woman who is trying to meet a man. The one who says he'd crack someone in the head (I'm paraphrasing, my apologies) isn't offering advice any woman could (or should!) use. How about the one who has the word 'feed' in his username and admits to being a closet fa admirer right there in his profile page? Are these responses constructive?

Are these the new board rules? Is the board perused by a Mod generally? Are posts only removed when reported?

Fill me in!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
I'm back poking around at Dims after something like 6 mos. gone (and shouldn't be; full disclosure--I have a major project due and am procrastinating; please tell me to stop posting) and I see a lot of dudes posting on the BBW board.

The few times I've posted on the FA/FFA board (even though I have some tendencies), it hasn't usually gone too well. Fair enough, I'm not dyed-in-the-wool, and certainly everyone has a right to a protected space to post his/her stuff. I get it.

But then I'm reading threads here, started by women looking for advice from other women, and it's a mini sausage party. hahaha. I don't mean mini sausage, but mini party. I'm guessing that if the average woman wanted advice from all sexes (see how I didn't type 'both' there, Dims?) she'd just post on the Main board. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

So have the rules changed? Relaxed? Am I, indeed, wrong about this? What's the state of the debate?

I'd like to hear your feedback. If you have a clam, that is.
Welcome to dims, enjoy your stay.

Oh wait. Now, if someone were to ask about the stealthy SSBBW board a flock of people would come to the rescue. It's kind of mind-boggling what's important here and what's not. I can't make heads or tails of it anymore.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
For example, this BBW Board thread:

Meeting a guy from an online...

One of the first few responders is a dude. Then another. Then another. The one who tells the woman 'you're beautiful!' isn't sharing his experience as a fat woman who is trying to meet a man. The one who says he'd crack someone in the head (I'm paraphrasing, my apologies) isn't offering advice any woman could (or should!) use. How about the one who has the word 'feed' in his username and admits to being a closet fa admirer right there in his profile page? Are these responses constructive?

Are these the new board rules? Is the board perused by a Mod generally? Are posts only removed when reported?

Fill me in!
Check the tagline. Meeting a GUY from online, that gives men the right to chime in as the secondary opinion. The same as since "dudes" are the topic of this thread they have every right to defend themselves.

Now if someone were to mention something to do with women on the FA/FFA board then women have every right to chime in.

Also, to keep one board strictly to one group of people and exclude the rest isn't much of a community...is it? Especially if the "intruders" so to speak aren't trolling but rather contributing in a thoughtful manner. Not saying all the guys are posting contributing factors (I'm with you on the guy with "feed" in his name being a closet dweller) but the whole "This is the bbw board, men should stay out" sounds a lot like 1950's citizens trying to keep the "colored" out of their quaint neighborhoods.

Last edited by KHayes666; 02-21-2012 at 02:55 PM.
KHayes666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Jes
is oddly aroused

so you're saying the rules have changed, then? B/c one of the rules is for dudes not to compliment women's looks and you'll see that one certainly did in the thread i referenced.

That's why I asked--just wanted to know if there'd been an official rule change from when the board started. It's always good to check in after an absence; one wouldn't want to offend.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
so you're saying the rules have changed, then? B/c one of the rules is for dudes not to compliment women's looks and you'll see that one certainly did in the thread i referenced.

That's why I asked--just wanted to know if there'd been an official rule change from when the board started. It's always good to check in after an absence; one wouldn't want to offend.
Depends on if the compliment was needed or not. If someone said "I feel very ugly today" then a "you're beautiful" doesn't sound like a bad response. Now if a woman says "I have an ovarian disorder and cannot have children" and a response was "you're beautiful" then I'd be in favor of throwing that guy out.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
Depends on if the compliment was needed or not. If someone said "I feel very ugly today" then a "you're beautiful" doesn't sound like a bad response. Now if a woman says "I have an ovarian disorder and cannot have children" and a response was "you're beautiful" then I'd be in favor of throwing that guy out.
No need to go on--you've done a great job answering my question! A million thanks, Ken.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Now if someone were to mention something to do with women on the FA/FFA board then women have every right to chime in.
Aaaand case in point...

So not true -- not without being deleted or lectured about lecturing. And one board is protected, while another is not. Neither board is what I originally thought it would be.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So far a lot of stuff on the FA/FFA board that women have commented on (even women who immediately say they're FFAs) have been deleted. I wish I could provide examples but THEY'VE BEEN DELETED.

Meanwhile, guys are posting on the BBW forum with the 'oops I'm a bad boy' preemptive knowing that they weren't asked and if they had any real respect, they'd delete their posts before saying 'I know I don't belong here BUT' because they're not fooling anyone.

Oh and Jes, AFAIK, rules haven't been changed but evidently interpretation of them has.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Check the tagline. Meeting a GUY from online, that gives men the right to chime in as the secondary opinion. The same as since "dudes" are the topic of this thread they have every right to defend themselves.

Ok, using that logic then it stands to reason that everytime some douchebag posts on the weight board that he fantasizes about feeding a woman to immobility, I have the right to chime in and give my opinion because I am a woman... Same goes for the piss ants that come on Dims and post about how shameful they feel for liking fat women, or OMG my girlfriend is losing weight and I'm worried I won't find her attractive anymore. I have the right to tell him to pull his head out of his ass and be a man right? I'm a woman, he's talking about a woman...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlflyin View Post
Ok, using that logic then it stands to reason that everytime some douchebag posts on the weight board that he fantasizes about feeding a woman to immobility, I have the right to chime in and give my opinion because I am a woman... Same goes for the piss ants that come on Dims and post about how shameful they feel for liking fat women, or OMG my girlfriend is losing weight and I'm worried I won't find her attractive anymore. I have the right to tell him to pull his head out of his ass and be a man right? I'm a woman, he's talking about a woman...
How DARE you use logic!
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Jes
is oddly aroused

I'll admit I don't understand what "guys have a right to defend themselves" means. It's a thread about rule changes (or, as CP put it, interpretation changes), or POSSIBLE changes, since I've been out of the loop for 5 months. It's not an angry thread.

If a woman wants the opinion of other women who've met guys after chatting online, why would a man need to post something and/or "defend" himself?

This is a question for everyone, btw.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't see why a man needs to chime in to defend himself on a thread about asking advice for meeting someone offline for the first time. There's nothing to defend.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I'll admit I don't understand what "guys have a right to defend themselves" means. It's a thread about rule changes (or, as CP put it, interpretation changes), or POSSIBLE changes, since I've been out of the loop for 5 months. It's not an angry thread.

If a woman wants the opinion of other women who've met guys after chatting online, why would a man need to post something and/or "defend" himself?

This is a question for everyone, btw.
Because they are, have been, or could be, one of those men met online?
And the thread's original post, despite being in the BBW Forum, did not specifically request only female responses -- and later posts by the OP did not raise the issue.

It would have been perfectly reasonable for her to have requested only responses from BBWs, and if that had been the case it should have been respected (and enforced by the mods, if needed).

-Rusty

Last edited by CleverBomb; 02-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
Because they are, have been, or could be, one of those men met online?
But did that actually happen? Were names, or incriminating details, tossed about? Did it devolve into that type of thing? Or is your answer just a strawman?

Since we've had a number of women posting that they don't care for the male presence here much of the time, so much so that at least 1 poster doesn't really want to post here anymore, does that give you gentleman pause? Do you think you would you be willing to sit down on the sidelines in order to make these women more comfortable?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
But did that actually happen? Were names, or incriminating details, tossed about? Did it devolve into that type of thing? Or is your answer just a strawman?

Since we've had a number of women posting that they don't care for the male presence here much of the time, so much so that at least 1 poster doesn't really want to post here anymore, does that give you gentleman pause? Do you think you would you be willing to sit down on the sidelines in order to make these women more comfortable?
This was not a strawman argument. Some males, by being (or identifying with being) in those categories, may feel they have some insight into the situation. I was merely answering your question as to why these fellows might wish to participate -- apparently, I misunderstood that it was posed rhetorically.

The board rules specifically state:
Quote:
For Non-BBW posters: This is a public but protected board much the way the Erotic Weight Gain and FA/FFA are protected. Non-bbw posters who venture here should take care to provide postive and non-disruptive posts.
If a BBW starts a thread asking specifically for BBW input, DO NOT comment in the thread. Doing so will be considered disruptive, and will result in infractions and/or a possible loss of some or all posting privileges for BBW board.
So there is indeed provision for excluding non-BBW input, upon request of a topic's original poster. As noted above, this request was neither made in the original post nor in subsequent posts in the thread by the OP.

I will concede that I do not know whether she was aware that it is necessary to make such a request, or whether she would have if she had known.

-Rusty

Last edited by CleverBomb; 02-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
CleverBomb
On Space Out

And, further, I have no problem with changing the default here to be that only BBWs are to reply to a post unless a topic's poster specifically opens the topic to wider comment.
That's not a call I'm in a position to make, though -- it's up to site management and the moderation team.

-Rusty
Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
I will concede that I do not know whether she was aware that it is necessary to make such a request, or whether she would have if she had known.

-Rusty
Right. And I don't know, either, of course. Though I do think, personally, that posts here are geared toward women. If male opinions were just as useful, I would think people would use the main board (and if male opinions were preferred, people might well use the FA part of the FA/FFA board).

All I know is that I see more and more male presence when I read through threads and I think it's fair to ask what that's about, since I don't recall it being that way when the board was created. When I've posted things here, I've posted to women and for women and tend to be annoyed by male voices.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
That's not a call I'm in a position to make, though -- it's up to site management and the moderation team.

-Rusty
Yes and no. You're certainly in a position to just sit on your hands, right? If you think it's a good, constructive, sensitive idea to hold off, then I don't think you need a Mod to tell you to do so.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Yes and no. You're certainly in a position to just sit on your hands, right? If you think it's a good, constructive, sensitive idea to hold off, then I don't think you need a Mod to tell you to do so.
No. I am not in a position to decide whether the default rule on this forum is "Only BBWs Reply" or "Anybody can reply," which is what I was specifically referring to.

If you're making a blanket statement, that is, referring to male posters in general posting on this forum, you have a point -- but with the rules as they currently exist, there is no formal obligation besides being on-topic and positive.

If you're referring to a post I, personally, made on a different topic than the one you were primarily discussing (and if so, I'm almost certain I know which one you mean), I was attempting -- and, I concede, failed -- to bring a little humor to the situation. I posted because I hoped it was funny enough to be worth adding to the thread, but added the disclaimer because I wasn't sure.

-Rusty
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
This was not a strawman argument. Some males, by being (or identifying with being) in those categories, may feel they have some insight into the situation. I was merely answering your question as to why these fellows might wish to participate -- apparently, I misunderstood that it was posed rhetorically.

The board rules specifically state:

So there is indeed provision for excluding non-BBW input, upon request of a topic's original poster. As noted above, this request was neither made in the original post nor in subsequent posts in the thread by the OP.

-Rusty
I appreciate that, CB, and the fact that you would be okay with a re-visitation of the rules, but I wonder why you posted in this thread, where the OP clearly asked for input from BBWs, if you have such close familiarity with the rules. Did you not know the rules at the time, and post in ignorance? Or did you willfully disregard them? You certainly weren't the only man with a Y chromosome to post in that thread, but you're the only one posting in this thread.

I was just wondering what you thought about that.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
CleverBomb
On Space Out

But it would be worth having someone follow topics that fit your concerns, and remind the poster that they do have the option to limit responses.

-Rusty
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
I appreciate that, CB, and the fact that you would be okay with a re-visitation of the rules, but I wonder why you posted in this thread, where the OP clearly asked for input from BBWs, if you have such close familiarity with the rules. Did you not know the rules at the time, and post in ignorance? Or did you willfully disregard them? You certainly weren't the only man with a Y chromosome to post in that thread, but you're the only one posting in this thread.

I was just wondering what you thought about that.
My reply crossed with yours, but I answered your question (in post #22).
I thought my post was funny enough to merit inclusion, but was wrong about it.

I also usually link to the site through the "new posts" link, and didn't catch which board the post was on. I apologize for that, and for any disruption I may have caused.

-Rusty

Last edited by CleverBomb; 02-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.