Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Bighairyman

Bighairyman can now change their title
Default BHM/BBW and camping

So a friend of mine and myself are thinking of going on a weekend camping trip. We want to take the bare essentials for the most part. Axe, machete, knife, rope, tarps/plastic, sleeping bag, fire starter, water filter, .etc I just am not sure what I should do for the sleeping bag, I haven't went shopping in a long tim and being 452.8 pounds. I need something large. Anyone have any ideas?

If there is anyone out there that has any advice for me I will take it with open arms as this will be my first time doing this on my own since I have been out of the Boy Scouts.
Bighairyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

You can buy two sleeping bags and zip them together to make a double. Or you can buy a plus sized bag. They also make extra long bags if that's an issue.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Bighairyman

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I am super excited to do this. That was my largest concern was having a bag to sleep in that would be large enough. Are you an avid camper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
You can buy two sleeping bags and zip them together to make a double. Or you can buy a plus sized bag. They also make extra long bags if that's an issue.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
savethemurlocs11
Cuntmuffin

savethemurlocs11 does more than just post hot picssavethemurlocs11 does more than just post hot picssavethemurlocs11 does more than just post hot picssavethemurlocs11 does more than just post hot pics

I did find this.....its pricey though :/

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/...Type=G&pref=ps

Hopefully this helps!
savethemurlocs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Bighairyman

That is amazing. I can't thank you enough for finding that. It is a bit pricey but sleeping comfortably on a camping trip is one of the best things you can do to stick through the hard parts. Thanks again, gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethemurlocs11 View Post
I did find this.....its pricey though :/

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/...Type=G&pref=ps

Hopefully this helps!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It depends on where you plan to sleep. If your sleeping in a tend or on the ground don't forget your ground cover, mattress, or extra blankets to use as padding between you and the ground. Its still pretty cold out there so your gonna want something between you and the earth. Personally I sleep in my Van and put a Futon mattress in the back . If you have wool blankets those things are the best for camping in any weather.

Other than that...don't for get a lamp, flashlight, and toiletries.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Bighairyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapist View Post
It depends on where you plan to sleep. If your sleeping in a tend or on the ground don't forget your ground cover, mattress, or extra blankets to use as padding between you and the ground. Its still pretty cold out there so your gonna want something between you and the earth. Personally I sleep in my Van and put a Futon mattress in the back . If you have wool blankets those things are the best for camping in any weather.

Other than that...don't for get a lamp, flashlight, and toiletries.
Good call on the toiletries. I often forget that peeing isn't the only thing a guys gotta do in the wild. We won't have a vehicle around, we plan on going on a walk for a couple hours into the woods to a nearby stream or some type of water source to do some fishing. But the blanket/pad is an excellent idea. It amazing what a simple lay of cloth between the ground and yourself can do for you.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighairyman View Post
Good call on the toiletries. I often forget that peeing isn't the only thing a guys gotta do in the wild. We won't have a vehicle around, we plan on going on a walk for a couple hours into the woods to a nearby stream or some type of water source to do some fishing. But the blanket/pad is an excellent idea. It amazing what a simple lay of cloth between the ground and yourself can do for you.
Hehehe that's more than I had in some cases. Personally I recommend taking it easy if this is your first time camping in a long time. No need to make it hard on yourself. Nothing like a car, and a cooler to make it simple. Granted if you can find a stream that also works for a cooler. I go camping most every summer for a week and try to use a river to keep liquids cool and such.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The only problem I have lies in the fact that I bust my ass week in and week out to provide a decent home for myself, so why in the hell would I want to do that so that I can go and pretend I'm freakin' homeless for a week!!

J/K sort of. I do enjoy camping out at either the lake or the river, it usually is a good time, sorry I can't add about sleeping bags, as here in Texas it is always hot in the spring,summer, and fall, and occasionally warm in winter :P and I usually crash drunkenly into a pile of inner tubes a few feet away from the fire.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 03-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
escapist
Belt Buster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
...and I usually crash drunkenly into a pile of inner tubes a few feet away from the fire.
- .....and Rep -
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Fat_Cat

Fat_Cat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFat_Cat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

personally, I have a sleeping bag I've long since 'outgrown', I just use it more like a blanket, unzipped spread open and just sleep under it on the foam pad. although, I do enjoy the chill of night air so it's doesn't bother me if I'm not totally encased and looking like a giant cocoon
Fat_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't know if they sell these in your area, but some of the stores here sell "couples sleeping bags" which is basically room for two people. Normally they come with two cushions attached, but some don't. They're great! My father got me one cuz I went camping so much with friends and it has been rather awesome. It's so much better than packing 4 blankets and a sleeping bag that doesn't fit. This one at least does! lol.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Fantastic, thanks for the info. I am super excited to do this. That was my largest concern was having a bag to sleep in that would be large enough. Are you an avid camper?
I haven't camped in a few years. Gave away all my camping gear when I moved northward. I like to keep it simple, but comfortable. I know that roughing it is kind of a guy bonding thing, but to me camping is about getting away and enjoying nature. I can do both and still have a bathroom nearby I tent camp, usually in state parks, where you can be in the middle of beauty and still walk to some basic amenities. I also cook when I camp, since hot coffee and a great breakfast in the middle of the woods is one of the great pleasures in life.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Bighairyman

The main reason I want to do the roughing it style is because I love to challenge myself. I know that it might be tough, but in the end it would be nice knowing what I can and can't do. Plus, I love nature. I usually always sleep in a tent when I go camping. I had a friend who went camping and brought a huge RV, I was like I lived in one of those my entire life. I could stay home if I wanted to "camp". hehe.

There is just something about the freedom, smokey smelling clothes, nasty grubby hands and nice cold beers that I enjoy so much. Going to have to post up some pictures once I get my stuff to rough it.

Thank you all for the great ideas for the sleeping arrangements. I will probably get one of them couples sleeping bags. Keep the information and ideas coming guys. Out of curiosity has anyone heard of Bannuck (sp?) bread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
I haven't camped in a few years. Gave away all my camping gear when I moved northward. I like to keep it simple, but comfortable. I know that roughing it is kind of a guy bonding thing, but to me camping is about getting away and enjoying nature. I can do both and still have a bathroom nearby I tent camp, usually in state parks, where you can be in the middle of beauty and still walk to some basic amenities. I also cook when I camp, since hot coffee and a great breakfast in the middle of the woods is one of the great pleasures in life.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Out of curiosity has anyone heard of Bannuck (sp?) bread?
Yep, it is a type of bread you can cook in a pan, over a campfire for example. Spelled "bannock" iirc. You should be able to find instructions online, if you need any.

and by the way, check out what the campground you are going to has in the way of fire pits, built in grills, and if there are any restrictions on bringing in firewood (up here, to prevent the travel of the emeral ash borer, most campgrounds have a 'no outside wood' policy going on). If there is a fire pit, see if you can get a metal grill with legs that you could put over your fire, then you can challenge yourself to start with wood and make nice coals for cooking your meal over. Takes time, but there is something about cooking over the fire that is extra satisfying! (and tasty )

If there are wood restrictions, I'd suggest bringing along some charcoal briquettes. Camp ground wood is often not very dry, so really hard to make a good fire with. If you build the wood up around a mound of briquettes, once you get them going, they'll keep throwing out heat to help dry out the wood and keep it burning.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
Bighairyman

For the most part I am not planning on going to a campground. Going to trek through the wilderness until I wanna set camp up. Hopefully there won't be anyone around for miles. I am going to make some of that bread. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Yep, it is a type of bread you can cook in a pan, over a campfire for example. Spelled "bannock" iirc. You should be able to find instructions online, if you need any.

and by the way, check out what the campground you are going to has in the way of fire pits, built in grills, and if there are any restrictions on bringing in firewood (up here, to prevent the travel of the emeral ash borer, most campgrounds have a 'no outside wood' policy going on). If there is a fire pit, see if you can get a metal grill with legs that you could put over your fire, then you can challenge yourself to start with wood and make nice coals for cooking your meal over. Takes time, but there is something about cooking over the fire that is extra satisfying! (and tasty )

If there are wood restrictions, I'd suggest bringing along some charcoal briquettes. Camp ground wood is often not very dry, so really hard to make a good fire with. If you build the wood up around a mound of briquettes, once you get them going, they'll keep throwing out heat to help dry out the wood and keep it burning.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #17
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
So a friend of mine and myself are thinking of going on a weekend camping trip. We want to take the bare essentials for the most part. Axe, machete, knife, rope, tarps/plastic, sleeping bag, fire starter, water filter, .etc I just am not sure what I should do for the sleeping bag, I haven't went shopping in a long tim and being 452.8 pounds. I need something large. Anyone have any ideas?

If there is anyone out there that has any advice for me I will take it with open arms as this will be my first time doing this on my own since I have been out of the Boy Scouts.
I have camped regularly off of a motorcycle for the last 15 + years...so have learned to do it in a limited style...although I MUST have my 12" high blow up mattress with battery charger for blowing up / sucking out the air, sleeping bag, tent, cooking is the most awesome though, TIN FOIL a must, marinate meats/chicken or fish in good zip lock bags for tasty meals, corn on the cob, potatoes, if you can figure out eggs & bread & coffee, milk...some fruits...i could go on and on as you see LOL.....someone just asked me to go last week, and he is a gourmet chef, so I am curious what his mad skillz look like!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Back To Nature

I'm developing a real and new appreciation for the great outdoors, now that I'm older and also have the hobby of listening to VLF Natural Radio, the lightning related signals generated by Mama Nature, herself. The signals are weak and would be heard well in a campground, away from electricity. I'll be watching this thread. I'm on oxygen and disabled to a small extent, but a Guide to assist me and some planning could make it happen one day!

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
samuraiscott
True Story

samuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticed

It's been so long since I have been camping. I can't remember what it was like

http://samuraiscott.blogspot.com/
samuraiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The only way i will go camping is if I can have an air bed.. hopefully the raised variety otherwise I am miserable. Everything else I loooove but sleeping on the ground sucks!
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
PandaGeek

PandaGeek can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPandaGeek can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I use to make sweet apples in boy scouts. I'd bring apples with me, a small bottle of maple syrup, and tinfoil. Core the apple, wrap it in the aluminum foil until only the top is open. drizzle the syrup on the outside of the apple and inside the core, fully wrap the apple and just put it on the edge of the fire. When you take it out you will have a sweet and slightly smokey treat.
PandaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaGeek View Post
I use to make sweet apples in boy scouts. I'd bring apples with me, a small bottle of maple syrup, and tinfoil. Core the apple, wrap it in the aluminum foil until only the top is open. drizzle the syrup on the outside of the apple and inside the core, fully wrap the apple and just put it on the edge of the fire. When you take it out you will have a sweet and slightly smokey treat.
You can also pack the inside of the apple with brown sugar and cinnamon instead of maple syrup - equally delicious, and it may be easier to carry a little brown sugar and cinnamon in a ziploc bag than a bottle of maple syrup.

Under the sleeping bag - foam camping mats. Lots of people push air mattresses, but the problem is that they have no insulating value (because they are only filled with air) so if the ground under you is cold, you'll get cold as the air in the mattress gets cold. But even Walmart carries dense foam camping mats (usually they are blue or grey, sometimes yellow) that have a high insulation value. Staying warm is more helpful to sleeping than staying 'cushy', though if you need warm and cushy, try a thicker mat.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
ManBeef

ManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions community

We visit Gaviota State Park every year. My son LOVES it.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
Kazak

Kazak has super-sized repKazak has super-sized repKazak has super-sized repKazak has super-sized rep

so did you go yet? if so, how did it go? pics or video?
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #25
BLK360

BLK360 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBLK360 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
water filter.
Real men drink the scummy parts too.