Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Pig Candy

Basically Candied Bacon.

Found a recipe for it and going to make it as soon as I can remember to get
brown sugar,been to the store twice. Remembered the peppercorn thick bacon.
Have you had it? Made it? Did you love it? Cooking tips?
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I prefer it with regular bacon vs the peppercorn kind. I put the pepper and the cayenne in the brown sugar (along with a pinch of dry mustard). Dark brown sugar is better then light brown, more pronounced caramel flavor. I make it in a pyrex pan lined with reynolds release foil so it won't stick. You do have to spoon off the fat from time to time - I use a metal turkey baster.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
I prefer it with regular bacon vs the peppercorn kind. I put the pepper and the cayenne in the brown sugar (along with a pinch of dry mustard). Dark brown sugar is better then light brown, more pronounced caramel flavor. I make it in a pyrex pan lined with reynolds release foil so it won't stick. You do have to spoon off the fat from time to time - I use a metal turkey baster.

The recipe I found uses racks or broiler pan with parchment under to catch the fat. Gonna try that. Will probably try peppered and non.
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

They're all valid options - racks etc. I worry about it sticking to the rack. And I really worry about hot fat dripping onto a paper towel in an oven. In theory it wouldn't catch fire until 451 but um, I prefer not to find out.

Forgot to mention - with my method you can drain off the fat and use it later for something else. Throwing away that much gorgeous bacon fat just seems sinful to me.

Last edited by Skye23; 03-29-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: adding
Skye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
They're all valid options - racks etc. I worry about it sticking to the rack. And I really worry about hot fat dripping onto a paper towel in an oven. In theory it wouldn't catch fire until 451 but um, I prefer not to find out.

Forgot to mention - with my method you can drain off the fat and use it later for something else. Throwing away that much gorgeous bacon fat just seems sinful to me.
She said she's using parchment, not paper towels. Parchment is very heat resistant and is intended for use in the oven at high heats.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

(See my sigline.) -Jim
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post

(See my sigline.) -Jim
Concur......
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Skye23

My bad, I read parchment and yet I thought of another recipe I'd seen of it that really did use paper towels. It was that one that scared me, and rightly so.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default International Bacon Day.

Is today!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...laakiFaQJg4Upg
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Bacon! Yum.

I've had the sugared and baked version, and it was fantastic. I didn't make it, but I know it had brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never made bacon candy (but intend to) but I have wrapped the thick cut bacon around thin breadsticks, rolled it in a mix of brown sugar, cayenne and a bit of mustard powder (someone else mentioned that upthread too) and then threw it in the oven for appetizers for a dinner I was having. Unfortunately for my guests, they were so good they never made it to the dinner table.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Slight derail, I have to concur with this. I keep bacon fat in the fridge for numerous uses, but my all time fave is to take toast, and in place of butter, smear in some bacon fat on the hot bread so it melts in, and then strawberry jam. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, good!
Back to the candied bacon discussion!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Another slight derail:

-Jim
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My dad taught me this one: Spread peanut putter on toast while it's still hot so the pb gets all melty and top it with bacon.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
My dad taught me this one: Spread peanut putter on toast while it's still hot so the pb gets all melty and top it with bacon.
Your father is a wise man. A BLT with peanut butter instead of mayo is pretty good, too!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote