Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Tofu Help Needed!

So, I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, and on a whim bought a pack of firm Tofu.

I've never cooked tofu before.

I have a head of cauliflower and other random veggies around...I was loosely thinking of making some sort of cauliflower/tofu curry, but I'm not stuck on that idea.

So, experienced tofo cookers...what's your favorite way of cooking and eating tofu?

Any input is appreciated!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As far as I'm concerned, the absolute, ultimate, most wonderful tofu dish is mapo tofu. Miss Toodles once posted a great recipe for it in this forum; if you do a search for 'mapo tofu' you will not only get her recipe (which is incredibly easy as well as delicious), but several other excellent ones as well!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Why didn't I think of that? (searching, that is). Thanks so much for the tip...I'm reading through the threads now. Awesome ideas!!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

No specific recipe for you just a tip to extract the water from your tofu by either pressing or squeezing, so it will soak up more of the delicious flavors from your sauce!
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

It's really great in a stir-fry.

Get some veggies, like spinach or kale, some tomatoes, mushrooms, onions or garlic, and some olive oil. Sprinkle a few random seasonings on it like basil or tarragon and you're good to go.

And yes, make sure drain your tofu in the sink first.

Also I have learned that if you freeze it, tofu gains an interesting texture.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default additional thoughts on tofu

Tofu is sort of like a sponge: it soaks up liquids (which is why you need to drain it). But it will still be a bit squdgy after draining, so you might want to put a couple of paper towels under it, and a paper towel or two over it, and a nice, heavy plate on top of that to squeeze the water out. In about half an hour gravity will do the job for you.

Because of its absorptive properties, tofu makes a nice, light substitute for meat in any dish that has a tasty sauce or gravy. Last night I asked the local Thai restaurant to substitute tofu in the Pra Ram Chicken (the one with the peanut sauce), and it was dynamite!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We like to cube it, dry it off really good, then sauté it a some very hot peanut oil until it is browned on the outside but still soft on the inside.

Serve it with duck sauce.

- Jim
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I drain it, put it in between paper towels for a bit to absorb some of the extra liquid.. and cube it up then heat up some peanut/olive/whatever kind of oil and fry it til its kinda crunchy.. I toss it with broccoli or a bag of stir-fry veggies then mix it with a peanut sauce I make with peanut butter, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and hot water (it melts the peanut butter).. sometimes I add a little soy sauce. Toss in some rice or some wheat spaghetti (or ramen works in a pinch, too lol) and its an amazing thai-ish kinda meal. I love it.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
lypeaches

So, thanks to everyone for their help! I employed the paper towel/pressing techniques, thanks to you all!

First I tried it in a cauliflower curry, and it was delicious!! Then I froze the leftover tofu.

So, after thawing, I did a stir fry with a sort of szechuan sauce. Good, but not as good as the curry. But I think the main difference was that the curry was more saucy. The tofu did have a different texture...more similar to that of a dry chicken mc nugget, I'd say. I think I slightly prefer unfrozen, but the jury is still out.

Tonight I will be trying sunnies idea, since I have all the ingredients at hand...right down to the leftover spaghetti noodles!

Overall I'm happy with the tofu. I'm just looking to expand my "cleaner" protein options, and you gotta love the price. I think the mistake meat eaters make is they think tofu is supposed to be a meat substitute...and I find it's helpful just to think of it as a different type of food, not a replacement for. I mean lets face it, tofu is never going to taste just like a rib eye steak. But that doesn't mean it can't be delicious.

Hope someone else is inspired to give it a try!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie1653 View Post
I drain it, put it in between paper towels for a bit to absorb some of the extra liquid.. and cube it up then heat up some peanut/olive/whatever kind of oil and fry it til its kinda crunchy.. I toss it with broccoli or a bag of stir-fry veggies then mix it with a peanut sauce I make with peanut butter, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and hot water (it melts the peanut butter).. sometimes I add a little soy sauce. Toss in some rice or some wheat spaghetti (or ramen works in a pinch, too lol) and its an amazing thai-ish kinda meal. I love it.
Rep to you for this idea. I tried it last night with my thawed out tofu, and it was delish! Definite do-over!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Tofu is also delish as a sub for ricotta and cream cheese- it can be pureed and give dishes a creamy texture. You'd buy the "silken" variety of tofu for this, not the firm.

Mapo tofu is one of my favorite dishes!! Mmm spicy!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I think the mistake meat eaters make is they think tofu is supposed to be a meat substitute...and I find it's helpful just to think of it as a different type of food, not a replacement for.
Well, it's not really a red meat substitute, but it can work to replace diced chicken in some dishes. Obviously, it won't have the same flavor as the chicken. But it can be used as such.

I'm not vegetarian but I have done vegetarian diets in the past for several months.

The "Boca" brand has some vegetarian steak strips and chicken replacements that are similar and can be used in recipes.

You're right that nothing can replace the real flavor of meat (at least not yet), but most who are looking to replace their meat are doing so for either ethical reasons or health reasons.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Rep to you for this idea. I tried it last night with my thawed out tofu, and it was delish! Definite do-over!
Oh yay I'm so glad you liked it!! Everyone I've made it for a) loves it and b) says "what are these little crunchy things? They're so good!" the look on their faces when I say "tofu" about kills me every time.

Yay for a new easy dinner for you!
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
lypeaches

Well, have to say, I forgot to fry the tofu til it was crunchy....but it was still delicious. Next time, crunchy tofu.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post
Tofu is also delish as a sub for ricotta and cream cheese- it can be pureed and give dishes a creamy texture. You'd buy the "silken" variety of tofu for this, not the firm.

Yeah, I've heard it makes a pretty mean chocolate mousse.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Well, it's not really a red meat substitute, but it can work to replace diced chicken in some dishes. Obviously, it won't have the same flavor as the chicken. But it can be used as such.

I'm not vegetarian but I have done vegetarian diets in the past for several months.

The "Boca" brand has some vegetarian steak strips and chicken replacements that are similar and can be used in recipes.

You're right that nothing can replace the real flavor of meat (at least not yet), but most who are looking to replace their meat are doing so for either ethical reasons or health reasons.
Yeah, I don't know, I don't even really think it's a replacement for chicken. I know you can use it in place of chicken...but. I was raised vegetarian for religious/health reasons, but I've eaten meat now for, oh, 30 years. I'm cool with all the foods. I'm just saying when you're trying to get a meat eater to try a vegetarian meal, generally speaking it's better not present it as "this is veggie chicken", cause it will probably come up lacking to their taste buds. Better to just say this is vegetarian and it has tofu. Period.

Eh, just my opinion. It's all good.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post

Yay! Look who's back! I'm very glad.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I never had it until I got a free order of hot n sour soup with a Chinese delivery, otherwise you could torture me and I wouldn't try it. Now I love it. Love it in miso soup too.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I really love tofu - I know that sounds weird - but there is something appealing to me. I like it in stir-fry, lo mein and pad thai. A while back I came across a bbq tofu sandwich recipe and fell in love.

Here is the recipe - you need the extra firm tofu - and there is an accompanying "healthy" cole slaw recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/bb..._sandwich.html.

Hope you get to try it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard it makes a pretty mean chocolate mousse.
It's also great for a VERY easy pumpkin pie. I don't like pumpkin pie but i make a silken tofu pumpkin pie every year for thanksgiving and xmas. Recipe here Hubs and Max just adore this pie.