Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
qwertyman173
Andy from UK

qwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Barbecue Season

Now that Easter is out of the way, Spring and Summer are officially here! And that means barbecue season! I was hoping people could share recipes, both traditional and modern. Does anybody have any suggestions to start off with?

I am going to try pork and chilli pepper burgers in a couple of weeks! I want to try and move away from the tired frozen sausage and chicken drumsticks combo that most people stick to.

Any contributions?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Season??

Merciful heavens. . there's a season to Barbeque? Seriously in the winter, I keep a snow shovel on my back patio in case I need to get to the grill..

All kidding aside, I'm a big fan of pork on the grill, but in all honesty. There are few things you can't cook on the grill. .I've baked pizza and even a pie on mine. (but then no one said I was sane!)

There are so many ways to do meats on the barby, and veggies done over the flame are equally as yummy. .(we had a vegan or two in the extended family) One of my wife's favorites was to get "pork steaks" on sale, which are a bit fatty, I'd trim them, cut them down, then put a bit of bbq sauce on them. . I have a recipe for my own, but when I get the urge. . I usually rely on a "shelf" brand .. You can "adjust" most "store" brand sauces. . brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, or onion powder, or any number of other spices. . can add to the basic flavor of bbq sauce.

I tend to be a bit moderate with bbq sauce though. . Marinades are great too. . lots of basic recipes online. . so many recipes, so little time. . If I can dig up some that I have written down somewhere. . I'll post them, finding them is the issue. . Enjoy!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Kamily

Kamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized rep

I love cooking on the grill.
Kamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like to make bacon-cheese jalapeno poppers whenever we do some grilling. You can assemble them ahead of time and they cook fast, so they work great for appetizers or snacks while the rest of the food is cooking.

You need fresh jalapenos, a brick of queso fresco cheese, a pack of bacon, and some toothpicks or skewers. If you're using wood skewers, soak them at least a half hour ahead of time so they don't char when you put them on the grill.

Wash and pat dry the jalapenos, remove the stems, cut them in half lengthwise, so you have two little pepper boats. If you want them to be spicy, just scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and leave the membranes intact. If you want them mild, take something like a grapefruit spoon and carefully scrape the membranes out along with the seeds. I usually scrape out most of the membrane, because I like the sweetness that grilling gives the peppers.

Slice the cheese into little slabs that fit mostly into the center of the pepper halves. Queso fresco is a Mexican cheese, that's kind of crumbly, and has a mild flavor. It works great for these poppers because it does not melt and drip, it just softens. If you want, at this point, you can put some bacon bits down in the pepper under the cheese to make them extra bacony. Or maybe a cooked peeled and deveined shrimp. Be creative! It just needs to be something already cooked as it won't get all that hot at the center of the popper while on the grill.

Wrap each pepper with bacon, slightly overlapping as you go, if you have really big jalapenos, or really short strips of bacon, it might take two slices. Anchor the bacon with toothpicks so it won't come unraveled as it grills.

I like to thread the stuffed peppers onto skewers, four to a skewer, because it just makes it easier to flip them at once instead of indivdually.

You put them on a medium to hot (but not searing hot) grill, and cook a few minutes at a time, flip, and leave a few minutes more. Keep doing that until the bacon is done, but not crispy (or else the whole thing will fall apart).

Tracy