Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default What's the best food in your area now?

Reading Conrad's description of his mother's Swiss breakfast looked so good and it made me wonder what others around this board have in their area that are regional specialties. So what's cooking in your neck of the woods that you think is the best?

Right now, in my part of Arkansas, the strawberry harvest is coming in. Strawberries ripened in the field and eaten the same day are "food of the Gods". I go and buy them in the morning, wash them, cut them up, add a little Splenda & sugar blend (so that they weep juice) and you have ruby, red magic in a bowl.

I like them best with a little cottage cheese. That's all. I could eat it for three meals a day. MrM2M prefers his with store bought shortcakes or angelfood cake and whipped cream. My mom likes hers mixed with chunked angelfood cake, jello, and coolwhip and reformed as a refrigerated cake. And another popular version is the old Shoney's strawberry pie.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Fresh asparagus! Unfortunately, I don't get enough sun on my property to
grow asparagus, but I think I've almost convinced my neighbor the organic gardener...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains:Fresh eggs, honey, ciders, jams, relishes and jellies, and front lawn farm stands with every kind of produce you can ask for, and a type of pizza from Scranton called Old Forge which is different and really tasty. Also the apple fritters here are the size of your head (or mine, which is admittedly Charlie Brown-ish).

Just across the Delaware River is the New Jersey that few people really know about. There are at least six dairy farms on a five mile stretch of road. I can get fresh certified organic Black Angus steaks, GREEN eggs (the shell is green), organic turkeys, chickens, etc. as well as dairy products while haggling over buying a fainting goat or a pair of llamas (not sold singularly because they get too lonely and the old coot who sells them is sweetly sentimental).

I'm still close enough to the metro part of NJ where I can walk into a diner not far from those dairy farms and order a Taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll and an order of disco fries, not to mention those farm stands where I can still get famous Jersey Beefsteak tomatoes. Nothing better in the world to this native Jersey girl.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This time of year it's all about the Crawfish from East Texas and Louisiana, then it will be the world's best watermelons from the sandy soil around Hempstead, Tx. not to mention all the areas home grown tomatoes from roadside stands and then comes Fredericksburg peaches and and Texas Ruby Red grapefruit from the Rio Grande valley.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
pepsicola93

pepsicola93 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokespepsicola93 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokespepsicola93 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
This time of year it's all about the Crawfish from East Texas and Louisiana, then it will be the world's best watermelons from the sandy soil around Hempstead, Tx. not to mention all the areas home grown tomatoes from roadside stands and then comes Fredericksburg peaches and and Texas Ruby Red grapefruit from the Rio Grande valley.
And you can't forget all the Mexican food!
pepsicola93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Kamily

Kamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized repKamily has super-sized rep

Here in the south we love to deep fry anything. LOL My fave is fried green tomatoes out of the garden. They are so good.
Kamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Not seasonal, but since I'm in New York, the best regional thing is the pizza, no surprises there!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mango and watermelon. The Afalfo mangoes are cheap as heck and have an almost butter texture. Watermelon is good now but in a couple weeks will be perfect.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola93 View Post
And you can't forget all the Mexican food!
Definitely! I couldn't live without my Tex-Mex.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Well, being from Wisconsin, of course I have to talk up our cheese! With a dozen-plus cheese factories within a 45-minute drive we have lots to choose from.

And now, with the grilling season "heating up," bratwurst that has been cooked in beer before grilling - oh yum is a standard for any cookout or tailgate party.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Well, being from Wisconsin, of course I have to talk up our cheese! With a dozen-plus cheese factories within a 45-minute drive we have lots to choose from.

And now, with the grilling season "heating up," bratwurst that has been cooked in beer before grilling - oh yum is a standard for any cookout or tailgate party.
I sure do miss all the various cheese shops of the midwest. I always hit a few while visiting. There just aren't shops like that in California.

It's cherry season here and we always gorge on them. I usually buy 5-6lbs a week. I haven't hit the farmers market yet but certainly will next week!!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

All about the rhubarb here...yummm! And just getting into lamb season too (sorry to any vegetarians reading!). Usually it's asparagus season, but it's not very good yet, due to the vast amount of rain/flooding we've had recently.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
moore2me

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
All about the rhubarb here...yummm! And just getting into lamb season too (sorry to any vegetarians reading!). Usually it's asparagus season, but it's not very good yet, due to the vast amount of rain/flooding we've had recently.
Gingerbre,

We have access to some rhubarb here, but I have never cooked it. Granny used to tho all the time. Any suggestions or copies of recipes?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

There are some good restaurants in the Twin Cities area, but they tend to be a little pricey for me. That's why I cook. I will say 1. thank goodness it's spring and the farmer's markets are starting up again and 2. thank goodness it's fishing season again. Fish fry, yum!
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Gingerbre,

We have access to some rhubarb here, but I have never cooked it. Granny used to tho all the time. Any suggestions or copies of recipes?
Rhubarb crumble - you need this in your life!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/420616/

It's traditional to serve it with the vanilla custard suggested on the recipe above, but I prefer mine with cream.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

It's traditional to serve it with the vanilla custard suggested on the recipe above, but I prefer mine with cream.
Sounds wonderful. My mother made rhubarb crisp all the time with fresh rhubarb from the garden.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
moore2me

Quote:

Thanks for the recipe Gingembre. It sounds deliciious and I saw fresh rhubarb in the store today.

In another note, our strawberry season is over for 2012. Some lucky states like Florida and California have longer seasons or even year long production (the lucky stiffs!).

However, our local peaches are now available at roadside markets. The peaches are good and smell wonderful. I can make do with peaches when my strawberries are gone. Methods best for preparing peaches . . . .
- Raw (wash, peel, and eat), or
- Peach cobbler & peach pie, or
- Puree fruit and fresh. (Can also mix in other fruit) Serve as a sorbet..
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #18
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

There's this great little diner not far from me, that makes their own unique, "french toast". They make it with cinnamon rolls, and it's absolutely one of the best things around here. You literally have to "stand in line", or order it "to go" on Saturdays. . Love it!

I am fortunate to live where raspberries grow wild, at the edge of my back lot near the stream. When they come in, (if I'm fast enough to beat the birds and the raccoons to them) I get to make a cobbler-like dish. . It's one of those things that's good with "store bought" berries. (strawberries, blueberries, etc) but there's just something about the fresh one you pick yourself that gives an extra bit of satisfaction. . It's best served warm, topped with some vanilla ice cream, but even when it cools it's just fine.

It's not unusual to see cars parked along the country roads here in mid to late summer, folks will stop and pick the berries growing wild along some of the ditches. .Oh yes, they also pick the wild peppermint and spearmint too.