Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default May Iron Foodie Challenge

I really like to do something with seasonal foods, but it seems like anything I like in May is something I'm allergic to. [Yeah, being selfish here.] So, how about this... picnic foods. Think dishes you could literally pack in a basket and take out to a nice grassy place and enjoy casually on a blanket with some cutie. Bonus tips for how to keep things cold or at a safe temp would be great.

Maybe some inspiration...

Past Challenge List
Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr Shrimp
May Eggs
Jun Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct Cheese
Nov Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr Chicken
May Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January Soup
February Pork
March-Mexican Food
April Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July Corn
August Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October Nuts
November Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February Spinach
March Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January rice
February chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
September - Apples
October - candy
November-Root Vegetables
December - Heavy Whipping Cream

January - Cakes
February - chocolate
March- Pizza
April - Crescent Rolls
May - Picnic!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Misty's Pasta Salad

1/2 lb whole wheat pasta
1 jar of Girard's Champagne Vinaigrette
1 can black olives drained and rinsed
1 red bell, orange bell and yellow bell pepper diced
1/2 red onion diced
1 head of cauliflower chopped
1 bunch broccoli chopped
4-5 ribs of celery finally diced

Cook pasta per package directions, drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine all your veggies, olives and pasta. Pour full jar of dressing over salad and toss to combine.

This lasts for up to a week in the fridge. I divide it up and take it to work for lunch!

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oooh, champagne vinaigrette sounds delicious! Must try.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm always looking for ways to use Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper, Eggplant and garlic spread. I few weeks ago I did the following, and it was really very good.

I can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into large pieces
a few kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
McCormick's Greek seasoning
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. TJ's Roasted red pepper spread (approximately; I don't really measure this stuff)
1/4 tsp. olive oil (rough guess)
1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped (see above)
crumbled feta (optional, it's good either way)

Place artichokes, tomatoes and olives in a bowl. Season to taste. Dress with the red pepper spread and a little olive oil; toss to combine. Garnish with parsley and feta.

Last edited by one2one; 05-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Pasta Salads just seem like the perfect picnic food for some reason. Cold and refreshing, I guess. This one is my favorite, and it's super easy with so few ingredients.

Spaghetti Salad

1 - 1lb box spaghetti or other pasta (but spaghetti is the best)
1 small bottle Good Seasons Italian salad dressing, the smallest bottle
1 packet Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
1 green pepper, seeded and cored
1 medium tomato, seeded
1 medium onion

Cook the spaghetti to al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking, you want to keep the pasta al dente.

Chop the pepper, tomato and onion in a very small dice. Smaller is better, like confetti sized.

Mix the Italian dressing spice packet into the bottle of dressing to make a bottle of double spiced dressing.

Toss everything together and chill.

Eat and smile alot!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Potato salad

This I adapted and tweaked from Julia Child's recipe.

Get 2 pounds of potatoes. Clean, peel, and boil them for just a few minutes. You want them tender, not mushy. Drain & cut up the potatoes.

In a mixing boil, add potatoes, some basil, thyme, and parsley. Dried lavender also works beautifully with this recipe. A cup of onions and celery diced up also works well with this. Add two tablespoons of vinegar, four tablespoons of white wine, four tablespoons of olive oil, and stir this up. You want it mixed well. If you want to, add a pinch of salt to taste.

Note that this is not your typical potato salad with mayo. I don't know why Julia didn't even use homemade French mayo, but it works well with the vinegar and olive oil.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote