Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #51
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

Moderation in exercise is fine if you are satisfied with mediocrity. Not a single champion in history was concerned with overtraining or working too hard. They were willing to die to reach their goals. That attitude is exactly why they became champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Well that is that guy's opinion on overtraining. You would have to be stupid to think that you CAN'T injure yourself by working out too much or too hard. Your joints and your bones have their physical limits before your mind does, that is all that I am saying. I am speaking as somebody who has joint problems throughout my body that I have made worse in the past by pushing past the pain and exhaustion barriers. I know you are probably a lot more sound in bone construction than me, all I am saying is don't hurt yourself. ...also, you might want to not link that video to people. I for one find having a man calling me mother fucker repeatedly offensive, as well as being told that unless I go to extremes with exercise then I must be extremely lazy and unwilling to exercise. There is such a thing as moderation with exercise, it isn't an all or nothing type thing and you get benefits from doing maybe an hour a day of moderate with some intense exercise instead of pushing yourself too hard.

Anyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this~

Though it probably wouldn't have killed you to be polite to me, considering that all I did was care enough to be concerned about you.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #52
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Okay boys, I've been trying to restrain myself from coming over all mother hen but I can resist no longer! All I want to say is be careful with all that exercising! I know you know what you are doing and stuff but make sure to warm up your muscles properly and take good care of yourselves and don't overwork yourselves!

...I know you don't need me to tell you both that but I fell better now. ^^
Didn't listen -- overdid it a bit on Friday -- still a bit sore. Getting old sucks.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #53
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic_Effect View Post
Moderation in exercise is fine if you are satisfied with mediocrity. Not a single champion in history was concerned with overtraining or working too hard. They were willing to die to reach their goals. That attitude is exactly why they became champions.
Not to rain on your awesome parade, but that's bullshit.

Sure, they're at the top. They're at the top DESPITE overtraining and working too hard. Of course you don't hear of all the potential champions who've taken exactly the same route and fucked themselves in the ass.

But whatever. I'm not about to tell you how to train or how often because it's your body. . .
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #54
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

Yes, lots of people fail in the process. But, doing it any other way will not result in success. Fear of failure is no reason to stop or slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
Not to rain on your awesome parade, but that's bullshit.

Sure, they're at the top. They're at the top DESPITE overtraining and working too hard. Of course you don't hear of all the potential champions who've taken exactly the same route and fucked themselves in the ass.

But whatever. I'm not about to tell you how to train or how often because it's your body. . .
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #55
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'll remember that when testing my latest gliding suit.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #56
Geodetic_Effect

The guys that wingsuit basejump definitely don't let fear of failure stop them or slow them down. I will be doing it at some point in the future.

http://youtu.be/oB7nX-FT1Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
I'll remember that when testing my latest gliding suit.

Last edited by Geodetic_Effect; 04-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Geodetic_Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #57
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic_Effect View Post
This made me laugh out loud. Is that a quote from a movie or something? Sounds like something Will Ferrel would say right before he does something crazy.
BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #58
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaz View Post
This made me laugh out loud. Is that a quote from a movie or something? Sounds like something Will Ferrel would say right before he does something crazy.
http://youtu.be/v81osfu1K0o?t=32s

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #59
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Didn't listen -- overdid it a bit on Friday -- still a bit sore. Getting old sucks.
Well I'm only 23 and it happens to me sometimes as well! I think it is always tempting to push that little bit too much because you always feel great when you are doing it... it is the day after when the muscles start to ache! I'm sure you will recover in no time though and be feeling refreshed!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Well I'm only 23 and it happens to me sometimes as well! I think it is always tempting to push that little bit too much because you always feel great when you are doing it... it is the day after when the muscles start to ache! I'm sure you will recover in no time though and be feeling refreshed!
That is the part of getting older that sucks--you don't feel better in no time. At 23 yah, over do it, feel a bit sore the next morning, then move on. At twice that age, over-do it, feel sore and tired the whole next day, feel even more sore the day after, begin to feel better the third day and really back at full bounce by the fourth. (granted, depending on how much you over do it). I suppose that if I see another 23 years I'll probably just feel sore and tired all the time and will look back whistfully on the days when it only happened when I'd overdone things
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #61
Geodetic_Effect

Arnold is the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #62
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
That is the part of getting older that sucks--you don't feel better in no time. At 23 yah, over do it, feel a bit sore the next morning, then move on. At twice that age, over-do it, feel sore and tired the whole next day, feel even more sore the day after, begin to feel better the third day and really back at full bounce by the fourth. (granted, depending on how much you over do it). I suppose that if I see another 23 years I'll probably just feel sore and tired all the time and will look back whistfully on the days when it only happened when I'd overdone things
Ah, well, I guess I can't say how it works when you get older, being quite young myself! I know it takes a few days for me to get back to strength even now so I dread to think how long it will take me when I'm older! =p
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #63
DKnight00
Gamer

DKnight00 does more than just post hot picsDKnight00 does more than just post hot picsDKnight00 does more than just post hot picsDKnight00 does more than just post hot pics

Not really big, but seeing you guys talk about training, I guess I'll add mine in. I am off an on with working out, but I do what a bit more muscle, so I get up at 5am each morning to work out for about an hour before work... everytime I try to do it after work it just doesn't happen.

If I don't wake up in the morning and get right to it, I don't feel up to it after work.. except if all I've been doing for a week or two is working out.. then I'm in "the zone" or whatever and keep at it no matter what time of the day it is.

Need to buy a new punching bag.. was thinking of getting the ones that are not attached to the ceiling, but has a stand that it hangs from, starting from the ground and looping up. Has anyone else tried those bags here before ? If so any good ???
DKnight00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #64
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just finished my first kettlebell workout and found out two things. I am not in near as good of condition as I thought, and these damn things will work you unmercifully. I had big plans of an introductory circuit of 4 exercises for 5 rounds of 20 reps then 60-90 seconds of rest. It wound up being obvious that 3 rounds of ten reps with 120 seconds of rest in between were the best I could do today. Now I know what I have to work towards. My legs feel like jelly and I'm still lightly sweating over an hour after finishing. I'm so glad I went with the 35 lb. bell. It truly isn't about the poundage for a conditioning workout. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #65
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaz View Post
Made me think of the movie DodgeBall -- wherein Vince Vaughn's "Average Joe's" gym competed against "Globo-Gym" Ben Stiller's big budget gym across the street.

The BBW cheerleader was so sexy.

http://ozini.com/?p=4541
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #66
Geodetic_Effect

Good work. Kettlbells can be brutal. A good interval to start with on swings is 60 sec work/ 60 sec rest, for 5 - 10 rounds. If you can't get 5 rounds just increase the rest interval. Then when you can bang out 10, increase the work interval. Eventually work it down to no rest interval. It helps if you do it one handed and switch hands at the top each rep, saves your grip.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #67
Geodetic_Effect

Oh, and that montage cuts off Arnold before the best part.

http://youtu.be/5cvLHouSMOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #68
Geodetic_Effect

http://youtu.be/FK_LQtc0ALQ
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #69
bigmac

Did full squats for the first time in a while today -- followed by deadlifts -- and then a couple more sets of squats. Went back to the office to answer some emails -- when it came time to stand up again I discovered my legs were mush. Guess you could call that a good workout.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #70
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Did full squats for the first time in a while today -- followed by deadlifts -- and then a couple more sets of squats. Went back to the office to answer some emails -- when it came time to stand up again I discovered my legs were mush. Guess you could call that a good workout.
Haha, well you were definitely working those muscles then! =p Just take care when you are doing the squats that you don't damage or strain your knee joint at all. Because it is extremely unpleasant, I can tell you!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #71
bigmac

Quote:
Haha, well you were definitely working those muscles then! =p Just take care when you are doing the squats that you don't damage or strain your knee joint at all. Because it is extremely unpleasant, I can tell you!
I'm careful to maintain good form (I never use weights so heavy I can't maintain good form). Its been my experience that squats can actually strengthen your knees. I'm almost 50 and have never had any knee problems (knock on wood).

This afternoon I'm planning to do some toddler tossing. My 4 year old is leaning to bodyboard -- she can't yet kick fast enough to catch waves effectively -- so I stand in about waist deep water tell her to hold on to her board and toss her and her board into the wave as it breaks (the secondary near shore break -- she's still way too small to be going out into the primary break). After an hour or so this gets pretty tiring.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #72
The Fat Man
Fat Don Draper

The Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticed

I'm working out, three or four times a week, just general upkeep. I'll always be bigger, always but a little time on the treadmill and some weights just make me feel better.

Health > losing weight.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #73
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
I'm careful to maintain good form (I never use weights so heavy I can't maintain good form). Its been my experience that squats can actually strengthen your knees. I'm almost 50 and have never had any knee problems (knock on wood).

This afternoon I'm planning to do some toddler tossing. My 4 year old is leaning to bodyboard -- she can't yet kick fast enough to catch waves effectively -- so I stand in about waist deep water tell her to hold on to her board and toss her and her board into the wave as it breaks (the secondary near shore break -- she's still way too small to be going out into the primary break). After an hour or so this gets pretty tiring.
Sounds like you have it all sorted! =) That's awesome! I know I just get wary about such things because I have bad knee joints and have to be super careful with things and I just worry that other people's joints will get damaged from doing the same things. Haha, aww, that is a very cute form of toddler tossing! I bet that keeps you fit and she must love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Man View Post
I'm working out, three or four times a week, just general upkeep. I'll always be bigger, always but a little time on the treadmill and some weights just make me feel better.

Health > losing weight.
I am the same! I will always be a big girl but I do cardio and weights for about an hour and a half every other day just to keep myself strong and healthy. I'm glad you working out for the best reasons!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #74
The Fat Man
Fat Don Draper

The Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticed

Thanks! Workin' on it at least, heh.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #75
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

BigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 club

Yeah, I've had to rework my diet, for health reasons. Somehow, my weight stayed 415-ish (+/- 5lbs) but I have had the worst bloodwork results ever.

Diabetes, cholesterol, everything in the bad range, so I have done a quick food adjustment, low sugar, high protein, carbs early in the day, cutting back on coffee, etc...

Now I just need to get moving again. I think now that the winter is over, I can get back outside & moving around (ice scares the hell outta me).