Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default "Brown" bagging it--what'cha got?

Whether you bring lunch to work/school in the traditional brown paper bag, in a modern insulated nylon bag, or a retro "Archies" lunch box.....if you make a lunch almost every day, you surely know that feeling of "Ugh, what do I make today that isn't almost the same as what I made yesterday and the day before?"

But one person's routine might be somebody else's inspiration! While you can't share your actual food through the internet, please share what you brought for lunch today! Or if you have had particularly brilliant ideas in the past, share those, too. After over 20 years of packing a lunch before work most mornings, I'll happily take anything you have to offer!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My lunches most often centre around left-overs, and today is no exception. I cut up a bit of left-over steak into thin slices, cut up some yellow pepper into similar sized bits, then folded that up in a flour tortilla shell (along with a smear of dijon mustard). It turned out....ok. Even sliced thin, the steak pieces were hard to bit through cleanly, so tended to pull out from the rest, and the flavor needed something more...perhaps some tomatoe or spinach.

Besides that I brought some red grapes, celery sticks, and a butter-tart square (basically butter tart filling over a pastry bottom, cooked up in a pan, then cut into squares....saves the fiddling with individual tarts. I claim no credit for that, my wife made them up, loosely based on a recipe in the newspaper).

I'd say the butter tart square was the best part of today's lunch. I wouldn't normally rate a sweet as the best part, just that most of the rest of today's lunch was not all that inspired.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
ClashCityRocker
Outer Space Potato Man

ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default hm

i'm a sandwich lover. i love sandwiches. sandwiches are what i love. i generally stick to wheat bread, and i don't do beef or pork really, so i just have a blast with chicken, turkey, tuna or even hummus. spinach with lettuce for texture(and i guess green stuff is good for you..), any and all cheese(it's cheese..so it's ALL good) and almond slices or whole oats for a lil extra crunch.

side stuff is usually pasta, cuz it's easy to make and always a good decision. my old school go to was always spaghetti noodles w/a lil butter and basil, although recently i've fallen in love with shell pasta w/mozerella and cheddar cheese.

..and fruit. either an apple or a mango, or blueberries, and my lunch is complete
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I do the sandwich thing on occasion as well. I was notorious for the nine inch hoagie roll with a half-inch thick layer of salami, ham, pepperoni, etc accompanied by spinach, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, banana peppers, black olives, and italian salad dressing.

I confess to doing either the leftover spread, or a bowl of frozen mixed veggies and either some marinated salmon or a bag of chicken or steak fajitas (microwaves are pretty common.)
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Great idea for a thread; I could use a little inspiration myself.

I usually have something involving leftovers, too. This time of year it's often a little meat with some raw vegetables and fruit. Sometimes I'll do a salad, but only if I have something interesting to work with like leftover steak. The microwave at work doesn't work well, so I will make things that are good cold. A few weeks ago it was quinoa dressed in olive oil, garlic and mint, with parchment baked salmon, tomato and cucumber. My cheater chicken salad (with crackers) is a favorite. I buy fried chicken breast and remove everything that isn't chicken (eating a little of the crispy, fried edges, of course) and use the meat to make it. I like pita with homemade humus and tabouli, but I'm always hungry in a few hours when I have that.

In the winter, I'm more likely to have soup or dishes with meat, vegatables and rice or bulgar. Sometimes pasta but not that often, really. If I need to pick up food it's Chipolte, Panera or Jimmy John's (who I love for delivering a single sandwich right to the staff door). I'm also the one who eats the peanut butter cookies from the vending machine and wouldn't say no to a little chocolate, if there's any left.

Last edited by one2one; 07-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Do you have access to a microwave. If so next time put the steak in a sandwich bag and heat it in the micro for 30 seconds or so - that will warm it enough to get the juices flowing and will make it easier to eat.

Meanwhile you will have bought all the other components to your sandwich seperately and you building there at work.

I do that a lot with any type of sandwich - I dont like things to get soggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
My lunches most often centre around left-overs, and today is no exception. I cut up a bit of left-over steak into thin slices, cut up some yellow pepper into similar sized bits, then folded that up in a flour tortilla shell (along with a smear of dijon mustard). It turned out....ok. Even sliced thin, the steak pieces were hard to bit through cleanly, so tended to pull out from the rest, and the flavor needed something more...perhaps some tomatoe or spinach.

Besides that I brought some red grapes, celery sticks, and a butter-tart square (basically butter tart filling over a pastry bottom, cooked up in a pan, then cut into squares....saves the fiddling with individual tarts. I claim no credit for that, my wife made them up, loosely based on a recipe in the newspaper).

I'd say the butter tart square was the best part of today's lunch. I wouldn't normally rate a sweet as the best part, just that most of the rest of today's lunch was not all that inspired.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I recently moved in with my BF and we bring lunch to work pretty much daily. He likes Roast beef or turkey he putdsmustard on it which I think is totally wrong. Much of time we have left overs. I made a nice meat sauce the other day with whole wheat pasta shells. He took that in to work. I had the left over salad and grilled flank steak that we had over the weekend. I heated up the steak as I described above - It was an awesome salad. Real basic greens, tomato, cucumbers - but with the steak , croutons and Kens lite Italian salad dressing made it so good.

Another sandwich I have been enjoying lately is Bologna, (Wunderbar... its the best) on Pumpernickel with tomato and roasted red peppers with Mayo. YUM !!!!

Another one I love is tuna on rye with Spanish olives .

Last edited by bigsexy920; 07-08-2012 at 06:44 AM.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions

Today was very much a case of scrounging what was available. Have a smallish lamb sausage, some cooked peas (both leftovers from last night, sadly there were no leftover fried potatoes for me), a soft tortilla wrap folded around a few slices of 2-year old cheddar, an orange and a banana.

Will have to put some thought in tonight, and try to do better for tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Maybe instead of a sandwich - what always works for me in the summer is turning leftovers into a more substantial salad: Like your lamb sausage and peas, add a hard boiled egg, some mixed pickles, sliced carrot, zucchini, parsley, maybe green beans (whatever you have in the fridge), mix up with a nice vinaigrette with olive oil.
To make it more filling, rice or bulgur (ground wheat, a quick fix, cooks only 5 minutes like for taboulé) would go well with this - or treat yourself to a nice big fresh roll on the way to the office.
With rice or bulgur, you can come up with all sorts of types of tasty salads like this with a creative mix of ingredients.

Pasta fredda - cold, Roman style pasta salad, also with a vinaigrette and not mayonnaise dressing - work well with leftover pasta and random vegetables, cold cuts and cheese from the fridge.

Yoghurt and fruit as an add-on is always good (... do you have fromage blanc in Canada? - That's also a wonderful base for all sorts of things, salty and sweet. Like chop herbs in it, a bit of mustard and then use as a dip with vegetables sticks, some cold meat and a fresh roll)

If you have plates and cutlery in the office, maybe Italian prosciutto melone (half a medium sized chilled canteloup with 3-5 slices of cured ham like Parma, Savoie or Serrano/Iberico and a slice of nice bread/roll)

Bon appétit!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I usually go home for lunch, but I live within 6 miles of my workplace. I cook a big batch of stuff on the weekends and freeze the leftovers, so I just defrost them for lunch. I make soups, stews, & hotdishes, that sort of thing. The cafeteria food where I work is so-so and kind of pricy.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

GF and I usually cook enough the night before so if feeds me, her, her two girls, and enough to bring to lunch the next day. Thankfully, she is a great cook and there has not been one single thing that she makes that I don't like.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Tad
mostly harmless

Somehow a mouse got into the house. At some point the cat found the mouse. A little after 4am the cat brought the mouse up to our bed room to play with, probably to show off to us what a great guardian she is--she certainly made enough noise about it all that my wife eventually woke up enough to turn on the light and see what was going on. Once that situation was taken care of, I didn't get back to sleep for some time, and even then not very well.

The result is that today's lunch is a complete 'what can I grab out of the fridge with no real thought or effort' lunch. ?Leftover honey-mustard chicken on white rice, some plain low fat yoghurt, some 'baby' spinach leaves, orange and banana. I think I have just enough time before the next meeting to dash out for a cinnamon bun or something to redeem this lunch break!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Leftover BQ beans with pieces of brisket and sausage in them.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Tad
mostly harmless

Sounds quite good! (then again, maybe I'm just hungry right now and everything sounds good?)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Today is is leftover steak and baked potato.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Tad
mostly harmless

Today is left-over potato pizza (a few layers of very thinly sliced potato with a bit of olive oil replace the wheat based crust of the usual pizza). In general this is one of those dishes that is even better the next day, but this particular batch went a bit soggy overnight. I'm thinking this was due to using quite new potatoes, with a higher water content that the ones you get mid-winter or especially in the Spring.

(and also some yoghurt, spinach, banana, and an orange)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #17
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

Recently a new topic came up in the german blogging sphere - called "bento" or "bento box"

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to google for you, because google offers lots of german sites for me.

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-...stes-good-cold

There are recepies on this side too.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Today I brought spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In addition to a pimento-cheese sandwich, I had:

*a piece of pita bread cut in eighths
*some hummus to dip it in
*two stuffed grape leaves
* some cut-up strawberries with yogurt for dessert.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #20
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
In addition to a pimento-cheese sandwich, I had:

*a piece of pita bread cut in eighths
*some hummus to dip it in
*two stuffed grape leaves
* some cut-up strawberries with yogurt for dessert.
Sounds great I love stuffed grape leaves, need to go find some, haven't had any in ages!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Recently a new topic came up in the german blogging sphere - called "bento" or "bento box"

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to google for you, because google offers lots of german sites for me.

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-...stes-good-cold

There are recepies on this side too.
Anna The Red makes fantastic Bento Boxes for her kids.

http://www.annathered.com/
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Tad
mostly harmless

Today was pretty dull (brought some fruit and veggies and bought a sandwich at a deli on the way to work), but yesterday was quite yummy: leftover barbecued kebab (sweet pepper, zuccini, mushrooms, and bacon-wrapped pieces of chicken) on rice, accompanied by an orange and a couple of chocolate+chocolate-chip cookies.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Sounds great I love stuffed grape leaves, need to go find some, haven't had any in ages!
Something else we can agree on!

Have you ever tried not the nowadays more common pickled, but the original hot cooked version?

It's been one of my favorite dishes since I was two: The cooked, stuffed grape leaves (either with the rice/mince meat mix or even better rice with herbs and roast pine nuts) with warm avgolémonó - frothy beaten lemon-egg sauce. To die for .... and I'm flying to Athens tomorrow
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Something else we can agree on!

Have you ever tried not the nowadays more common pickled, but the original hot cooked version?

It's been one of my favorite dishes since I was two: The cooked, stuffed grape leaves (either with the rice/mince meat mix or even better rice with herbs and roast pine nuts) with warm avgolémonó - frothy beaten lemon-egg sauce. To die for .... and I'm flying to Athens tomorrow
Suddenly
SO
hungry!

No, I've never had the hot cooked version, darn it! (nor been to Athens, for that matter.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
IN A PINCH, you can find canned dolmades (no meat, just rice w herbs) on Amazon.com. I can't find the real thing in my area, so I buy a six pack of Aegean brand every now and then. I don't make or buy the traditional sauce. I usually drizzle a favorite dressing on top or dip them. They keep well too.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote