Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Jack Secret
tickle my amygdala

Jack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Russia and liberal news channel

I find this disturbing…

There is a pretty neat channel that I watch on DirecTV (channel 348) called "Free Speech TV". They have some fairly thoughtful liberal positions they explore everyday. I finally looked into them today and I was kind of disturbed to learn that that entire station is "run" by a Russian news outlet called "Russia today - RT.com". This Channel even has a show called "democracy now". Now what in God's name is a Russian news conglomerate doing funding such programming. Does this make anybody at least wondered for a moment if this is kosher? What does Russia know about true free speech and true democracy?!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Squirrelman

Squirrelman can now change their title

...apparently more than the u.s.a....rt is much better than any news channel coming out of the u.s...
Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelman View Post
...apparently more than the u.s.a....rt is much better than any news channel coming out of the u.s...

Ironic isn't it.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Years ago, in the early '90s with the beginnings of glasnost and perestroika, my father was one of a group of journalism educators sent to Russia to educate journalists on the rudiments of First Amendment practices and the concepts of freedom of the press and freedom of speech. It was eye-opening.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Squirrelman

...and mainstream news in the u.s. is now increacingly playing a role similar to that of pravda in the former soviet union...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelman View Post
...and mainstream news in the u.s. is now increacingly playing a role similar to that of pravda in the former soviet union...
Are you claiming the mainstream media is becoming an echo chamber for the views of the current US president. That is so … Fox News-ish of you!

Maybe you missed the memo? To many on this site Fox News is the voice of the devil.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Imp

Imp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticed

RT is de facto state-run (which means Putin-run). It is for all intensive purposes the old Pravda. I watched it a few months ago and it took me a while to figure out because I didn't have the channel guide. I was thinking, "That's so patently false! Who's saying that?" Amazing to think, eh? The names change but much stays the same.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Squirrelman

...news media in the u.s. becomes more pravda-like as the u.s. further resembles a centralized, virtual one-party state, like the monolithic soviet union...so i'm thinking more about the media and it's functional relation to the state in general, rather than to any particular president...
Old 07-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed
Default A few facts about RT and Democracy Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I finally looked into them today and I was kind of disturbed to learn that that entire station is "run" by a Russian news outlet called "Russia today - RT.com". This Channel even has a show called "democracy now".
Russia Today is indeed government-owned. This much is true.

However, RT was founded in 2005. Free Speech Television was founded in Denver in 1995, and Democracy Now was founded in 1996 as a show on New York's WBAI Radio Station, owned by the Pacifica Foundation which began as the world's first long-term successful listener-funded radio network in 1949. Pacifica has watched its funding model, free of corporate sponsorship and 85% free of government aid, be adopted by NPR, PBS, several smaller regional public networks and even a few conservative religious networks.

So no, rest your spirit, the Russian government has not been convinced to run its own propaganda under the dictat of an American radio network founded by war tax resisting libertarians. Pacifica's newscasts run RT pieces occasionally, as well as some by Al Jazeera and U.N. radio, when wishing to supplement the information provided by their own local crews and by reporters from all over the world who provide material for their decade-old international concern, Free Speech Radio News.