Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default WLS and Malnutrition

My wife had botched WLS ten years ago. She'd been feeling poorly lately. Her doctor did complete blood work and discovered that she's has gross vitamin deficiency. The numbers were so low that the the doctor ordered retesting. Her doctor told her she was starving on the inside.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
My wife had botched WLS ten years ago. She'd been feeling poorly lately. Her doctor did complete blood work and discovered that she's has gross vitamin deficiency. The numbers were so low that the the doctor ordered retesting. Her doctor told her she was starving on the inside.
Apparently that can happen with Gastric Bypass surgery. That and severe anaemia.
Hopefully the doctor can give your wife some supplements that will help her.

It must have been scary for you when the doctor told you that.

That was one of the reasons that I chose to have a lapband, because it is fully reversible. If I ever wanted to reverse the procedure I could, and I did indeed end up deciding to have the lapband removed in May of 2011.

I hope that your wife will improve with some medical intervention.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I sent you a mssg, but please tell your wife that I hope she begins improving very very soon.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I was recently discussing this issue with a friend whose surgeon was pleasantly surprised to find that she still takes her vitamin supplements four years out. According to him, a large number of patients stop taking the supplements, which are supposed to be for life, and then find themselves with severe vitamin deficiencies.

Just throwing the info out there, I am not trying to insinuate that bigmac's wife (totally forgot her dim name!) falls under this category and really hope they are able to give her some relief soon.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa View Post
I was recently discussing this issue with a friend whose surgeon was pleasantly surprised to find that she still takes her vitamin supplements four years out. According to him, a large number of patients stop taking the supplements, which are supposed to be for life, and then find themselves with severe vitamin deficiencies.

Just throwing the info out there, I am not trying to insinuate that bigmac's wife (totally forgot her dim name!) falls under this category and really hope they are able to give her some relief soon.
She's been taking supplements more or less regularly and we try not to eat junk food but it wasn't enough. Her doctor said regular supplements are not going to be enough -- the doctor ordered B12 shots. She's been approved to see a new surgeon regarding possible revision (she didn't have a gastric bypass she had an old school intestinal bypass -- we think -- the medical records suck).
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oooh, Mac, that's tough. I know that the further we get from surgery, the easier it is to let things like taking supplements rigidly and having regular blood work slide. That coupled with the fact that most primary care providers don't even know what labs to order and the end result is that there are a lot of us out there wandering around with deficiencies.

I'm glad her doc seems on top of it (my surgeon -- now retired -- was useless and told me to just take Flintstones chewables!!!) The good news is that most deficiencies are reversible and even something as simple as B12 will make her feel better. I give myself injections (patches or sublingual tablets also work) and it's not too bad at all. Technically my B12 levels look good but blood levels of B12 aren't truly indicative of a deficiency since our bodies don't store a lot of B 12 in the blood. Having sufficient levels of B 12 will help her energy levels and help with any anemia she's dealing with.

One of the focuses of my practice once I finish school is post gastric bypass nutrition and treatment. It's just done soooooooo poorly and since I've "been there, done that", I think I'm in a good position. But I have to tell you, when it comes to practice guidelines for nutritional follow up there isn't a lot out there. It's frustrating.

I hope she feels better soon.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
cakeboy
Douchepuncher Supreme!

cakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm so glad that the centre where my surgery was done is so emphatic that supplementation and blood work (and bone density scans) are for life. It seems to be that way at most Canadian hospitals but I can't speak intelligently on the practices of other surgical programs. I have learned that everyone should be an informed consumer of health care, especially us fluffy types as we face enough dismissal, discrimination, and pigeonholing as it is. All the best to your wife bigmac