Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #326
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Check the Carvin site, you can build one for way less than 3k. (That's why I went Carvin, pretty much half of the price of an ESP or Mayones custom.) Plus they have a tremendous rep for building guitars, just resale values are off since they are custom jobs. This means if you find a used one, you're probably getting a heck of a guitar for cheap!

The one I'm building I didn't go for any fancy maple tops or anything. Spent whatever extra I budgeted on neck wood and a few features. It's when you start to go for the exotic woods that the price goes up. $400 or so for a quilted maple top alone.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #327
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Carvin are really underrated.
WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #328
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I usually don't have this fast of a turnaround for a song I just wrote, but this one came together quickly and I'm really pleased with how it came out. The arrangement just fell into place easy, and the fellows I did this one with are top-notch players. Last week I put up the acoustic demo, here's the full song work up.

Prodigal Son full arrangement
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #329
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
I usually don't have this fast of a turnaround for a song I just wrote, but this one came together quickly and I'm really pleased with how it came out. The arrangement just fell into place easy, and the fellows I did this one with are top-notch players. Last week I put up the acoustic demo, here's the full song work up.

Prodigal Son full arrangement
Thanks so much for sharing this. Two years of grade-school piano lessons and a semester of music appreciation in college don't exactly make me a connoisseur of music, so I can only appreciate your work in a very simplistic way; but I really enjoyed it.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #330
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this. Two years of grade-school piano lessons and a semester of music appreciation in college don't exactly make me a connoisseur of music, so I can only appreciate your work in a very simplistic way; but I really enjoyed it.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I sometimes wonder if anyone listens. I know there is so much out there and everyone's time is limited, so I really appreciate when someone takes the time to listen.

That's also good you appreciate in a simplistic way since I only know how to play very simply! I have been fortunate to be able to play with some people whose ability far exceeds mine and they make things sound way better than I ever could.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #331
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

When is the album coming out?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #332
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
When is the album coming out?
As soon as I hire a proper singer!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #333
MattB

Quote:
As soon as I hire a proper singer!
I'll have none of that talk! If I can throw my demon voice at the world, you can give us your Texas charm. Make it so!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #334
JayDanger

JayDanger carries a lot of weight on this boardJayDanger carries a lot of weight on this boardJayDanger carries a lot of weight on this boardJayDanger carries a lot of weight on this boardJayDanger carries a lot of weight on this boardJayDanger carries a lot of weight on this board

I don't know if I've every posted any of my music here....

JayDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #335
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDanger View Post
I don't know if I've every posted any of my music here....
Nice job! I like your flow and your rhymes, not to mention jealous of the folks able to blaze up behind you!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #336
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
I'm finally happy that I wrote something new. This may be the first things I've written new this year, or at least in 6 months. These are still pretty raw and just acoustic demos but I like sharing those anyway because I have always liked hearing both rough drafts and polished songs after full arranging and production.

Prodigal Son

Running
Here is the finished version of the other acoustic demo. It also came together really nicely I think.

Running

Old 10-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #337
MattB

Default Bumped.

Quote:
Here is the finished version of the other acoustic demo. It also came together really nicely I think.

Running

I envy the trajectory of your progress.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #338
LeoGibson
Slangin'

^^^

Thanks dude. That means a lot. I try to learn something new each time and make each one a little better than the last. Plus I have been fortunate of late with other musicians that share in the same taste I have in helping me shape the finished product.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #339
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

Running

That sounds terrific, LeoG!!

Let me know if you ever find that "peace of mind." I could use some, too.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #340
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
That sounds terrific, LeoG!!

Let me know if you ever find that "peace of mind." I could use some, too.
For the most part it isn't too hard to attain. Keeping it afterwards is what tends to be elusive.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #341
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Getting sick of me yet? Here's another one I just put the finishing touches on. It is a classic country/ folk/ a little bluegrass kind of sound.

A Flood Of Tears
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #342
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Getting sick of me yet? Here's another one I just put the finishing touches on. It is a classic country/ folk/ a little bluegrass kind of sound.

A Flood Of Tears
Very cool.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #343
MattB

Quote:

A Flood Of Tears
Cool!

For some reason I want to hear Shane MacGowan do a version of this, Irish it up.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #344
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lille View Post
Very cool.
Thanks for giving it a listen.

Quote:
Cool!

For some reason I want to hear Shane MacGowan do a version of this, Irish it up.
Yeah, I can feel that too. I think in part because the finger picked guitar and mandolin were done by a gent from England, the sound is more Irish/Welsh than American bluegrass due to his probable influences in style.

I have another song that's folk-y and vaguely Irish in sound that is nearly finished that we did together. It was actually the first draft for this song with a different drummer and in a different key. For some reason it came out bouncy and upbeat and unfitting for these lyrics, but the music was so good and the vocal melodies suitably different, so instead of scrapping it I wrote all new lyrics and got two songs out of it.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #345
VinnyPA

VinnyPA can now change their title

Is it OK to post links to other websites? I have a handful of guitar music clips on reverberation.
VinnyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #346
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyPA View Post
Is it OK to post links to other websites? I have a handful of guitar music clips on reverberation.
You sure can. Most of my links are to soundcloud. So post away, it will be nice to have someone new posting here.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #347
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Alright, one more time. I swear I'm almost done. I only have two more that I'm actively working on and then I'll quit foisting my rambling on the masses!

But until then, here's a slow-burn country ballad that's nice and twangy!

I Miss The Fire

Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #348
MattB

Keep foisting, I still got nothing!

Where did Vinny go? WHERE?!?!?!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #349
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Keep foisting, I still got nothing!

Where did Vinny go? WHERE?!?!?!
Hopefully to bring us fresh music!!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #350
MsBrightside

Quote:

A Flood Of Tears
Quote:
Alright, one more time. I swear I'm almost done. I only have two more that I'm actively working on and then I'll quit foisting my rambling on the masses!

But until then, here's a slow-burn country ballad that's nice and twangy!

I Miss The Fire

I really liked them both--thanks for giving us the privilege of hearing your work.

I especially liked the instrumental bit just before 3:00 or so in "Flood of Tears", and the way you muted the instruments at the end--it seemed to leave the listener with that wistful/regretful impression evoked by the song. Also, it's pretty awesome that you have back-up singers now.

You surprised me by using your speaking voice for part of "I Miss the Fire", but in a good way. You also did a great job of capturing a feeling that a lot of people in LTRs experience.

Songwriting ability is such a mystery to me--it always amazes me that musicians can reuse the same notes over and over and not have every melody end up sounding like "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."