Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 10-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #351
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I really liked them both--thanks for giving us the privilege of hearing your work.

I especially liked the instrumental bit just before 3:00 or so in "Flood of Tears", and the way you muted the instruments at the end--it seemed to leave the listener with that wistful/regretful impression evoked by the song. Also, it's pretty awesome that you have back-up singers now.

You surprised me by using your speaking voice for part of "I Miss the Fire", but in a good way. You also did a great job of capturing a feeling that a lot of people in LTRs experience.

Songwriting ability is such a mystery to me--it always amazes me that musicians can reuse the same notes over and over and not have every melody end up sounding like "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment on them. The kind words are very much appreciated. I have had the privilege to assemble a loose working group of 3 or 4 different talented musicians and singers that have influences and tastes that share the same vision as I do so it's really easy to work with them and have a blast making music.

The harmony singer on Flood is a really nice lady out of Kentucky whose voice just screams classic country and bluegrass. I was very fortunate to talk her into singing with me on it. To me, her harmony is what really makes it.

On I Miss The Fire, I wanted to do a throwback to that classic country thing from the 60's where they would often times drop the music down and talk to you in an aside, a la Whispering Bill Anderson.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #352
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Welp...I didn't get much done today, but I started work on the album again this week and did a lot more than I have in months. No more timetables for release, but I'm feeling much more confident going forward that my dry spell is over. I had a good guitar playing week, it's starting to feel easy again.

So...no sound samples yet, but soon.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #353
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Welp...I didn't get much done today, but I started work on the album again this week and did a lot more than I have in months. No more timetables for release, but I'm feeling much more confident going forward that my dry spell is over. I had a good guitar playing week, it's starting to feel easy again.

So...no sound samples yet, but soon.
Awesome dude! I'll look forward to hearing it.

I wasn't in much of a mood to play today, so I did some mixing practice and went back and re-visited an old one from a couple years ago. My mixing skill have greatly improved between then and now. I have learned how to not overuse effects and compression and let things breathe more. I still have much more to learn, but I'm happy with what the knowledge gained so far. Anyways, without further ado I'll put this one back up for a short time. Some of you will remember it from a while back, but here is my Angel and the Outlaw trilogy for anyone interested in wasting about 15 minutes of your time!

The Angel And The Outlaw 2014 remix
Old 11-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #354
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Awesome dude! I'll look forward to hearing it.

I wasn't in much of a mood to play today, so I did some mixing practice and went back and re-visited an old one from a couple years ago. My mixing skill have greatly improved between then and now. I have learned how to not overuse effects and compression and let things breathe more. I still have much more to learn, but I'm happy with what the knowledge gained so far. Anyways, without further ado I'll put this one back up for a short time. Some of you will remember it from a while back, but here is my Angel and the Outlaw trilogy for anyone interested in wasting about 15 minutes of your time!

The Angel And The Outlaw 2014 remix
I hadn't heard your earlier version but enjoyed losing myself in this one. The story was so sad, and your words and music created some really strong images. Some moments that particularly stood out for me were the bittersweet foreshadowing at the beginning with Shall We Gather at the River, the cool sixties-sounding guitar bits in the first section, and the edgier "distortion" sound (don't know if that's the right term--I know zip about guitar playing) in the second section. All of the biblical/religious references fit in well with the relationship and events surrounding your star-crossed couple, too. Thanks for sharing--I definitely don't consider listening to this to be time wasted!
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #355
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I hadn't heard your earlier version but enjoyed losing myself in this one. The story was so sad, and your words and music created some really strong images. Some moments that particularly stood out for me were the bittersweet foreshadowing at the beginning with Shall We Gather at the River, the cool sixties-sounding guitar bits in the first section, and the edgier "distortion" sound (don't know if that's the right term--I know zip about guitar playing) in the second section. All of the biblical/religious references fit in well with the relationship and events surrounding your star-crossed couple, too. Thanks for sharing--I definitely don't consider listening to this to be time wasted!
Thanks for listening to it! I'm glad all the parts worked into a cohesive story for you. I'm still not sure if it is one song in three parts or three separate songs, but I wanted to tell a complete story set in the old west around themes of love and loss, salvation, redemption and doing the right thing even if society deems it wrong and the ambiguity of those arbitrary moral lines, using music and words both to "paint the picture" if you will. At least that's what I was shooting for anyway. Thanks again for checking it out.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #356
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Bump.

Welp, finished tracking all the bass and rhythm guitars...or so I thought. Found a few bits and pieces that needed to be smoothed out. No big deal, except for one song that I fear will have to be redone...!? Something is screwy with both the bass AND the guitars, and I can't figure it out. It's like I have a setting messed up somewhere in the project, but I can't find it. It's unusable as of right now.

On the other hand, I'm really close to finishing up a mini 3-song EP for my punk band. It was an unexpected project I started last night and blazed through it. Weird, but I'll take it. It's going to be a bit different from the first EP. More lo-fi.

Sound samples someday...
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #357
MattB

What do you know?...I did finish some things tonight.

Ketone Militia- Anywhere Is Better
Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #358
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

Very interesting, tfp

For some reason, this has sort of a late '80's sound to me; I can imagine hearing this at a college party back then, maybe along with The Cure or New Order. But I'm no music expert, so please forgive me if this notion seems nonsensical to you.

It also has a rather suspenseful? (not sure if this is the right word, but I can't think of anything better to describe it) quality, and I especially like the bit from about 0:36 to 1:00 (it's impressive that anyone's fingers can move that fast! )
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #359
MattB

Thanks for listening! None of the other stuff for this project sounds like this, it's just a random ska-like instrumental in between some straightforward punk rock. I was going for a late '70's early '80's UK vibe...
Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #360
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:

I dig this. The blend of 90's ska with a bit of 60's surf music really works. This should be in a Tarantino movie somewhere! Awesome bass groove too.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #361
MattB

Thanks Dude! I still feel it needs something a little extra, but I'm not going to dwell on it.

BTW- Recorded entirely on my iPad!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #362
MattB

Default This one is disturbing, even for me...

Okay, did another iPad instrumental tonight. Thematically based on true events, this one is really creepy. Fair warning...

https://soundcloud.com/astraltouch/all-this-work

I'm not sure where this one sits in my repertoire. I also decided this week to forgo the 'Astral Touch' name for my non-metal/punk stuff, although it will still be my Soundcloud address...let's face it, none of my bands are actually bands anyways...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #363
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Okay, did another iPad instrumental tonight. Thematically based on true events, this one is really creepy. Fair warning...

https://soundcloud.com/astraltouch/all-this-work

I'm not sure where this one sits in my repertoire. I also decided this week to forgo the 'Astral Touch' name for my non-metal/punk stuff, although it will still be my Soundcloud address...let's face it, none of my bands are actually bands anyways...
Yep. Definitely creepy. Not one to put on while sleeping unless you actually do want some weird dreams. But also really cool too.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #364
MattB

I don't know about quality, but quantity is happening right now. Another iPad tune, but I'm mastering these on my PC. This was supposed to be another scary song, it ended up groovy. I am nothing if not inconsistent in my musical styles...

Also, just for fun, made it into a video of sorts...

Old 12-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #365
ManBeef

ManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions community

https://vine.co/v/O5Bv15g2WQp What my son and I do on our guy time.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #366
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Here's a new old one. I did a new arrangement and recording for an older song. I'm of two minds here. I like a lot of it, but I think it misses the mark somewhere, but I just can't quite pinpoint what it is that bugs me.

A Damn Good Run
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #367
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
I don't know about quality, but quantity is happening right now. Another iPad tune, but I'm mastering these on my PC. This was supposed to be another scary song, it ended up groovy. I am nothing if not inconsistent in my musical styles...

Also, just for fun, made it into a video of sorts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA81Nzslu-I
Add some synth and and pump the beat a bit and you could have a dance track here. Great tone as always.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #368
MattB

Quote:
Here's a new old one. I did a new arrangement and recording for an older song. I'm of two minds here. I like a lot of it, but I think it misses the mark somewhere, but I just can't quite pinpoint what it is that bugs me.

A Damn Good Run
Hmmm...is it a recording issue you think is where it's missing? Sounds tight to me.* If it's a performance thing, I noticed that you're singing higher than normal which may be throwing you off Dawg. Nothing wrong with it since it fits the upbeat sound of the tune, just different than usual.

Quote:
Add some synth and and pump the beat a bit and you could have a dance track here. Great tone as always.
I contemplated that, but it just kept reminding me of some sort of quasi-Jefferson Airplane circa 1967 piece that I kept it rockin' for the most part.

Last edited by MattB; 12-26-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: *Listened on headphones, not my studio monitors....
Old 12-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #369
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Hmmm...is it a recording issue you think is where it's missing? Sounds tight to me.* If it's a performance thing, I noticed that you're singing higher than normal which may be throwing you off Dawg. Nothing wrong with it since it fits the upbeat sound of the tune, just different than usual.

I think it's too "busy" in the chorus section. That too many instruments are going off at once and not really letting any one shine out. But, I posted a remix to the others involved in the recording and they seem to think it's better this way, so WTH, I guess it's just me.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #370
MattB

Quote:
I think it's too "busy" in the chorus section. That too many instruments are going off at once and not really letting any one shine out. But, I posted a remix to the others involved in the recording and they seem to think it's better this way, so WTH, I guess it's just me.
The eternal struggle of mixing.

I tried to start recording vocals this week, and it was a total disaster. Even after warming up I couldn't get the evil voice going without nearly making myself sick. I'm taking a few days off, and have barely spoke since then. I may try to do some vocal recording for my punk project to see if I can pull that off before going all-in on metal.

What a drag it is gettin' old...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #371
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
The eternal struggle of mixing.

I tried to start recording vocals this week, and it was a total disaster. Even after warming up I couldn't get the evil voice going without nearly making myself sick. I'm taking a few days off, and have barely spoke since then. I may try to do some vocal recording for my punk project to see if I can pull that off before going all-in on metal.

What a drag it is gettin' old...
You could always go running for the shelter of a mother's little helper!

That's the part most people don't think about, but those hardcore cookie monster vocals are not that easy to do, and they are murder on your throat. At least for the metal guys that go high, you can get a lot of help from the mixing board and the mic gain, but not as much on the growly voice.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #372
MattB

Default Matt and Leo Got Talent

Welp, finished the three song EP for the punk band. If this came out in 1982, it would be a 'cassingle'.

I'll insert my usual warnings of volume, anger and profanity here, but the second song is the ska instrumental I posted earlier in the thread.

Ketone Militia- Chemical Town EP

Better sounding stream at my Soundcloud page, but it's all relative innit?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #373
ManBeef

ManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I stay on VINE mostly now. I have 390 fans, and only 2 know it.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #374
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Welp, finished the three song EP for the punk band. If this came out in 1982, it would be a 'cassingle'.

I'll insert my usual warnings of volume, anger and profanity here, but the second song is the ska instrumental I posted earlier in the thread.

Ketone Militia- Chemical Town EP

Better sounding stream at my Soundcloud page, but it's all relative innit?
How did I miss this post? Really nice. I streamed this on my phone while sitting in traffic. It made me want to let out the clutch and let my semi make it's own path. Got me nice and aggro, that means it's good punk music!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #375
MattB

Thanks! If you saw the cover, I grew up a few blocks from that mill. The aggro is legit.