Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #376
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Welp, finished the three song EP for the punk band. If this came out in 1982, it would be a 'cassingle'.

I'll insert my usual warnings of volume, anger and profanity here, but the second song is the ska instrumental I posted earlier in the thread.

I have an idea for a possible punk EP, I have two songs sort of sketched out in my head and some ideas for a 3rd one. I might just give it a whack and see how it comes out. Maybe a new kind of twangy cow punk hybrid!

But until then, here's one I just wrote a couple weeks ago, I may not even do a full arrangement for this one, I may just leave it mostly as-is acoustic and just overdub some acoustic lead guitar with it and leave it really sparse, but I haven't decided yet. Here's the acoustic 1+1 of it.

Remember The Alamo

Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #377
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh, you gotta do a punk EP, I need to hear how that would turn out.

Have some rep...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #378
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Went in a different direction here on this one. It's definitely a bit of a shift from the type of songs I normally write and record. This one is a bit of a cosmic blues song or rather it sounds a bit like what you would get if Keith Richards, David Gilmour, and Mark Knopfler wrote a song together!

Shine Your Light

Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #379
Aust99

Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Went in a different direction here on this one. It's definitely a bit of a shift from the type of songs I normally write and record. This one is a bit of a cosmic blues song or rather it sounds a bit like what you would get if Keith Richards, David Gilmour, and Mark Knopfler wrote a song together!

Shine Your Light

Loved it!!!!
Aust99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #380
daddyoh70
DYELB?

daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Shine Your Light

Great song! Sounds to me like there was some of The Band influence there also, particularly Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko. Really like this one.

"Don't ever shoot my Sunday joyride music down" Wesley Willis
daddyoh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #381
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust99 View Post
Loved it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyoh70 View Post
Great song! Sounds to me like there was some of The Band influence there also, particularly Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko. Really like this one.
Thank you both for taking the time to listen to it and comment. That means a lot!

ETA: One of the other guitarists on this track definitely has a Robbie Robertson feel to his playing. I have noticed it on other tracks we have recorded together. I need to ask him if that is one of his influences.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #382
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Some of my songs are being used as the soundtrack for videos on a UFO channel on YouTube...

The channel is run by a close friend of mine, and the founder of the paranormal group I work for. If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's worth checking out...
Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #383
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Some of my songs are being used as the soundtrack for videos on a UFO channel on YouTube...

The channel is run by a close friend of mine, and the founder of the paranormal group I work for. If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's worth checking out...
Very cool. Your music really fits the ambience of the subject.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #384
MattB

Quote:
Very cool. Your music really fits the ambience of the subject.
Thanks, as you know I find it hard to write stuff that isn't 'out there'...might as well own it.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #385
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Here's the finished version of the acoustic 1+1 I posted earlier in this thread.

I decided to keep it all acoustic after the electrified version just didn't sound right. So we went with a fingerpicked guitar, an upright bass, and some fiddle. I'm really happy with the result.

Remember The Alamo (full version)

Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #386
MattB

Thank you for another slice of Americana, Sir...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #387
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Thank you for another slice of Americana, Sir...
This may be the last one for a while. I have one more I want to do that is more acoustic or Americana in nature, but then it's time to plug in and go all Neil Young and Crazy Horse with some roots rock. I have an idea for a few songs that were going to be punk but as much as I like listening to punk, I can't really pull it off so they will be a bit more like when Neil got pissed off at the world and went heavier for a bit.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #388
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Here's one that has been sitting around for almost a year waiting on a female backing vocal to finish it off. I finally got one and was able to finish this one off. It's a country/rock song with a little heavier emphasis on the rock part and a really sweet solo by one of the other players on it.

West Texas Wind

Old 04-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #389
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Here's one that has been sitting around for almost a year waiting on a female backing vocal to finish it off. I finally got one and was able to finish this one off. It's a country/rock song with a little heavier emphasis on the rock part and a really sweet solo by one of the other players on it.

West Texas Wind

I really liked this one, LeoG!

The lean towards rock suits you very well, and that solo you mentioned (I assume that you're referring to the bit that starts around 2:38) was awesome. Such a cool intro, too!

I've been trying to resist the temptation to post in this thread lately because I feel really stupid making comments when I don't have the knowledge/talent to appreciate the musicianship or artistry behind the work that's been shared here, but I hope that you, MattB and the other contributors here are pleased that people are checking it out and enjoying it anyway.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #390
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I really liked this one, LeoG!

The lean towards rock suits you very well, and that solo you mentioned (I assume that you're referring to the bit that starts around 2:38) was awesome. Such a cool intro, too!

I've been trying to resist the temptation to post in this thread lately because I feel really stupid making comments when I don't have the knowledge/talent to appreciate the musicianship or artistry behind the work that's been shared here, but I hope that you, MattB and the other contributors here are pleased that people are checking it out and enjoying it anyway.
Thank you. I like plugging in and making some noise on occasion! Also, I can tell you're a listener of very fine taste for liking the intro. (that was one of my rare forays into a little lead guitar noodling)

Make all the comments you like. I can't speak for MattB, but I know I'm like all other artistic types, somewhat insecure about the things I create, so it is always great to get feedback and know someone is listening! Thank you.

Here is the other new one I wrote about on my blog the other day. It was one of the ones I wrote when i wanted to do a punk thing. Punk, really didn't suit me as much as I had hoped, but I know that attitude is in everything I do no matter what genre the song ends up in. This one started punk but wound up somewhere in between hard rock, grunge, and punk.

Hand To Mouth

Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #391
The_Hero

The_Hero can now change their title
Default Comedy.

= Annual Blues Brothers Act At Church Fundraiser

= Late Night Movie Host sketch for Church Movie Night Special Features
The_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #392
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hero View Post
= Annual Blues Brothers Act At Church Fundraiser

= Late Night Movie Host sketch for Church Movie Night Special Features
Cool vids! Very funny.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #393
MattB

A few Dims folk have been subjected to the evil already, but my new album dropped today so I thought I'd throw a video link in this thread as well...Have a wicked Walpurgisnacht!

Heavy volume alert...

Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #394
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
A few Dims folk have been subjected to the evil already, but my new album dropped today so I thought I'd throw a video link in this thread as well...Have a wicked Walpurgisnacht!

Heavy volume alert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wsFd-7s3Qk
A little heavy for me at 10 this morning, but very cool. I especially like the sound of the piano at the beginning, something about it felt like a piano in an abandoned house if that makes any sense.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #395
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lille View Post
A little heavy for me at 10 this morning, but very cool. I especially like the sound of the piano at the beginning, something about it felt like a piano in an abandoned house if that makes any sense.
Bingo! Well done! That's actually a recurring theme on the whole album. (Titled 'Hollow')
Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #396
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Here's another country tune.

The Great Plains

Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #397
LeoGibson
Slangin'

I'll crosspost this one here as well since not everyone reads my blog!

Here's the other heavy song I was working on. More of a grunge-type song about our wonderful political process. This is kinda RageInChains-n-Roses stylistically!

Land Of The Free

Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #398
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Hell yeah, three posts in a row! Why am I starting to feel like tapping the mic and saying, "Is this thing on? Testing one, two."

Oh well, I think in Canadian-speak this means I made a hat trick or something right?

Here's my latest.

Gringos Hideaway

Old 05-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #399
MattB

Quote:
Hell yeah, three posts in a row! Why am I starting to feel like tapping the mic and saying, "Is this thing on? Testing one, two."

Oh well, I think in Canadian-speak this means I made a hat trick or something right?

Here's my latest.

Gringos Hideaway

Holy crap, I love that intro!

I'll counter your hat trick with an oldie, but I'm finally making videos for my back catalog. Freshly posted...

Old 05-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #400
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Holy crap, I love that intro!

I'll counter your hat trick with an oldie, but I'm finally making videos for my back catalog. Freshly posted...
Thanks. I love that intro too! I wish I could take credit for it, but that would be a fella named Larry that I work with quite a bit on both the 12 string and the nylon string guitars. He's definitely the Don Felder on this song!

I like the video. Between the video and the music you managed to make a nice bright day in the woods into a creepy and dark thing! Good job!