Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #101
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Cool! It does work!

Now you need a simulated sound of scratchy vinyl behind it...
I don't even know where to find that sound. But I'm digging this idea you had, it worked out on this song, I'm not going to try and arrange it any further, I think some were just meant to be guitar and voice.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #102
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

After some more listening, I found myself getting annoyed with that old timey sound on the whole recording, so I went back and re-recorded this song with a some more instrumentation and a slightly different perspective.

A Flood Of Tears

__________________________________________________ _________________
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #103
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Since it was rainy, today was productive and I got a working demo of another song I had written. This one may not change too much from where it is now. I kind of like the simple straight forward country/rock thing it has going on.

Back In '92

-
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #104
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
After some more listening, I found myself getting annoyed with that old timey sound on the whole recording, so I went back and re-recorded this song with a some more instrumentation and a slightly different perspective.

A Flood Of Tears

__________________________________________________ _________________
Quote:
Since it was rainy, today was productive and I got a working demo of another song I had written. This one may not change too much from where it is now. I kind of like the simple straight forward country/rock thing it has going on.

Back In '92

-
I finally have a chance to listen to these on a decent system. A Flood Of Tears works great this way too. The little lead part (IMO) could use more reverb (I think I detected some) to make it more...shimmery? I'm a reverb addict though...

Back In '92... I get it. Make a punk rock version and it could be my '92. lol... Great year, but not really...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #105
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
I finally have a chance to listen to these on a decent system. A Flood Of Tears works great this way too. The little lead part (IMO) could use more reverb (I think I detected some) to make it more...shimmery? I'm a reverb addict though...

Back In '92... I get it. Make a punk rock version and it could be my '92. lol... Great year, but not really...
Actually I couldn't go back and edit the link, but there is another version on soundcloud where I added a nice tremolo effect to that solo to make it shimmer, this one is the non trem version.

On a side note, I listen to yours and other folks recordings and realize I need a producer. Lol! Mine are sloppy, I have a ways to go to learn the arranging and recording side of things.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #106
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Actually I couldn't go back and edit the link, but there is another version on soundcloud where I added a nice tremolo effect to that solo to make it shimmer, this one is the non trem version.

On a side note, I listen to yours and other folks recordings and realize I need a producer. Lol! Mine are sloppy, I have a ways to go to learn the arranging and recording side of things.
It's a process, I listen to my stuff from 2010 and I cringe. I'm thinking of doing a remix of it instead of starting the next album for now just to take a break...but new riffs are coming out already. I'm still offering my second hand ears if you ever need them...

Today I officially released my new metal album, digital only, around the 'net. (iTunes, CDBaby etc...) However, you can just stream the whole thing for free on Bandcamp, so I hope it's cool with the mods to post the link here. If not, feel free to delete. It is all good...

**It's the metal stuff though, so NSFW, volume warnings, etc...**

http://crossedstreams.bandcamp.com/
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #107
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
It's a process, I listen to my stuff from 2010 and I cringe. I'm thinking of doing a remix of it instead of starting the next album for now just to take a break...but new riffs are coming out already. I'm still offering my second hand ears if you ever need them...

Today I officially released my new metal album, digital only, around the 'net. (iTunes, CDBaby etc...) However, you can just stream the whole thing for free on Bandcamp, so I hope it's cool with the mods to post the link here. If not, feel free to delete. It is all good...

**It's the metal stuff though, so NSFW, volume warnings, etc...**

http://crossedstreams.bandcamp.com/
Because I forgot above, here's the updated link A Flood Of Tears with tremolo

I may just take you up on that offer. I have 3 songs I call my Outlaw Trilogy that are interconnected and I'm thinking western gothic but without going out of the Alt-Country genre and I know I'll probably need some input from others.

Also, anyone that likes metal needs to check out this CD, it will melt your face it rocks so hard!! \m/ As soon as I go get another stand and hang my heavy bag back up, your CD is going on the rotation for fight music!

Last edited by LeoGibson; 03-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #108
MattB

Thanks! \m/ I just figured out how to YouTube, so I'm setting up a channel for streaming audio that should be the best quality. I'm using my 24-bit masters, but nothing to look at other than the album covers and an old spooky pic of me I used to use...

Yeah, now that's a shimmering lead!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #109
MattB

Time to bump the MattB/LeoGibson Thread of Musical Whimsy!

New instrumental...twang-tacular!

Astral Touch- 7th Street Rambler
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #110
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Time to bump the MattB/LeoGibson Thread of Musical Whimsy!

New instrumental...twang-tacular!
Hahahaha, it does seem like that should be the new thread title, although I must admit the whimsy part is solely from your playing. I'm totally envious, you have that confidence in your playing that only comes with many years of experience. I came to guitar in my 30's, while I know it's never too late to learn, I also know the best years to pick up any skill is in your younger years when you can focus way more time and attention to master things.

As for this piece, it's very tasty, it sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of a Rodriguez or Tarantino movie. Something about outlaws in the new west maybe! And in continuing this musical lovefest, your guitar tone is once again stellar.

Have you ever submitted any of your instrumentals for soundtrack usage?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #111
MattB

Funny you should mention that. The first Astral Touch songs were supposed to be used in a paranormal documentary, but it got scrapped (or "postponed"). That was the whole purpose of writing those songs, now I just use that name for whatever I come up with that isn't metal. (I need the break right now.) That's why Astral Touch is all over the map. That film is supposed to start up again this summer, but I'd rather see some of it first before throwing music blindly at it...

I even have a, somewhat, classical piece I wrote awhile back I've never posted. I'm going to remix it and add it to the AT soundcloud page soon...

EDIT- Guitar tone is once again my cheap Squier Telecaster...
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #112
MattB

Here's the orchestral piece, no guitars just synth...

Astral Touch- Fulfilling The Journey
Old 03-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #113
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Just saw myself on TV! Wooo!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #114
The Dark Lady
Got some dark desire?

The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Dark Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
More like a time lord Sassy appeared! WOO!
The Dark Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #115
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Lady View Post
More like a time lord Sassy appeared! WOO!
*high fives*
Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #116
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
Congratulations! Unless it happened to be on COPS, or the UK equivalent.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #117
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I haven't been on the boards much, and I haven't gotten to see everything that's been posted. But having some downtime on Easter Sunday, I decided to record a little.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #118
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
I haven't been on the boards much, and I haven't gotten to see everything that's been posted. But having some downtime on Easter Sunday, I decided to record a little.
Nice job Jose! Your vocals have come a long way since the earlier recordings I heard. You're singing with more confidence and more firmly in the pocket. Good work.

I also threw a demo up today so I can get some of my playing friends to hear and give pointers or suggestions for arrangement ideas, so I'll link it here too.

I was going through and old notebook and found some partial lyrics I had left, who knows how long ago, and had some more ideas to make it into a complete song, so here it is warts and all. Here it is, hot off the press, written and recorded in about 15 minutes.

P.S. Yep, I know I missed the D chord on the first chorus.

I'm A Fool demo

Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #119
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
Very cool! What are you using to record? Sounds analog-ish...

Quote:
Nice job Jose! Your vocals have come a long way since the earlier recordings I heard. You're singing with more confidence and more firmly in the pocket. Good work.

I also threw a demo up today so I can get some of my playing friends to hear and give pointers or suggestions for arrangement ideas, so I'll link it here too.

I was going through and old notebook and found some partial lyrics I had left, who knows how long ago, and had some more ideas to make it into a complete song, so here it is warts and all. Here it is, hot off the press, written and recorded in about 15 minutes.

P.S. Yep, I know I missed the D chord on the first chorus.

I'm A Fool demo

Sounds like you recorded it at 2am, you sound more exasperated than usual... I'm assuming you did guitar and vocals at the same time? Were you sitting down? I find I do best when I'm standing up. I get more power, just a thought...

You have a badass CD in you that needs to be released soon...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #120
MattB

I have to admit, I'm a little bummed that you can't move the tracks around in Soundcloud unless you sign up for the full dealie. These are not posted in chronological order...Anyhoo, I just posted another typically spacey instrumental. It was originally written under my metal band's banner (it has a heavy-ish middle section), but it really is an Astral Touch sounding song after all. This was the first song I wrote for the documentary that still hasn't happened. From 2011...

March of the Cryptids
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #121
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
....Sounds like you recorded it at 2am, you sound more exasperated than usual... I'm assuming you did guitar and vocals at the same time? Were you sitting down? I find I do best when I'm standing up. I get more power, just a thought......
I was going for an hungover exasperated melody! It worked! Actually I was semi-reclined on an old couch in my recording room. That was literally the 3rd time I played that song all the way through after writing it. Hence the bad D on the first chorus, but I really just wanted to get the words and basic gist of the melody down. I'll re-record it standing up when I do a proper full on arrangement. Also I'll do separate tracks for vox and guitar instead of just using one hot mic to pick up both like this one is.

Quote:
I have to admit, I'm a little bummed that you can't move the tracks around in Soundcloud unless you sign up for the full dealie. These are not posted in chronological order...Anyhoo, I just posted another typically spacey instrumental. It was originally written under my metal band's banner (it has a heavy-ish middle section), but it really is an Astral Touch sounding song after all. This was the first song I wrote for the documentary that still hasn't happened. From 2011...

March of the Cryptids
Dude, I really don't see how you're not supporting yourself composing music, unless that is not something you desire. Everything you put out is excellent and pro sounding and your taste and tone are always spot on.

I'm going to try and do a vocal take on one that I did the backing track for this weekend, and I'll PM it to you to borrow those ears of yours to check my mix.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #122
MattB

Yeah, I'd love to lend my ears! Cool! Send it when you can...

I'd love to do nothing but write music for a living. I have a few opportunities in the near future that I hope will pan out, but each time I get close something always kiboshes it. So the plan is to keep writing, and getting better at mixing, and just build up a library of stuff. Just need one solid break...
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #123
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Thanks Leo,

I've actually been trying to work on that aspect regarding vocals, so I'll just record the same vocal track over and over until I feel like i've loosened up and I feel more "natural." I don't even save every take, just the first one so I can go back and compare how much more comfortable and natural it sounds.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Very cool! What are you using to record? Sounds analog-ish...

I've been working on getting a little interface with for my computer, nothing crazy, so in the meantime I'm recording straight off of my phone. I'm always surprised at the quality that I get from recording straight to an iphone. I use a simple four track recorder called "FourTrack" by a company named Sonoma WireWorks. I dig their products.

Then I just run it through "Logic" on my Mac and mix it to the best of my ability since I have an awful ear for these things.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #124
LeoGibson
Slangin'

I figured this most self-indulgent of threads was due for a revival.

Here is my latest recording. It's a concept piece about life and death and love and violence set in the old west but with a modern sound.

The Angel And The Outlaw
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #125
MattB

Quote:
I figured this most self-indulgent of threads was due for a revival.

Here is my latest recording. It's a concept piece about life and death and love and violence set in the old west but with a modern sound.

The Angel And The Outlaw
Well I was fortunate enough to hear this over the weekend, and I have to say if you haven't clicked the link yet you're missing out! Best stuff yet!