Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Ho Ho Tai
Master Member

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Big Ass Fans . . . Haiku

We bought a ceiling fan for our condo from this company - a beautiful, bamboo-bladed fan called a Haiku. But the company? I can't imagine where they got their name, Big Ass Fans.

But hey - do I get the prize for the most honest, yet misleading, post title of the year?

Ain't she a beauty?

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.
penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
But hey - do I get the prize for the most honest, yet misleading, post title of the year?
Yes, yes you do!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
MattB
\m/

MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Many Large Behinds
I Thought There Was In This Thread
Very Misleading
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Nice!!!

Quote:
We bought a ceiling fan for our condo from this company - a beautiful, bamboo-bladed fan called a Haiku. But the company? I can't imagine where they got their name, Big Ass Fans.

...snipped...
I'm a fan of big a$$es, myself. Seriously, that's one very advanced, pricey looking fan, with its beautifully formed bamboo blades and electronic motor drive! Ha! 2-30 watt 7 speed power and world-wide 100-240 volt, 50/60hz power compatibility is amazing.

Not pious, just saved by grace. Your true Christianity
shows in how you treat those who hate you.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!

Last edited by imfree : 08-01-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Corrected error in text.
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

That is indeed a "Big Ass" fan. . It's beautiful! I love the look of bamboo!!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Many Large Behinds
I Thought There Was In This Thread
Very Misleading
Well done, MattB! Ironically, of course, your contribution made part of the thread title a little LESS misleading.

On the subject of big ass fans, I'm proud to count myself among the afficionados of extra-large female posteriors. Thank you, Ho Ho Tai, for giving us our own thread!

BTW, that's an interesting website. Those 24-foot industrial fans with blades shaped like airfoils, and with winglets at the tips, are amazing.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Brilliantly mis-leading!

....Now just one question: how do you like the fan?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Ho Ho Tai
Master Member

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Brilliantly mis-leading!

....Now just one question: how do you like the fan?
Tad -

We have it here, still in the box. We're making arrangements with an electrical contractor we have done business with before, to meet at the condo in the next few weeks to install the wiring and the fan. Yeah, we'll have a few bux into this by the time we're done.

When it's installed and tested, we'll take a few pix to show it off and let you in on the fun.

Ceiling fans are wonderful. We have three of them here in our principal residence. You still may need the A/C on hot days, but set to a higher temperature.

One may wonder why you would need any of that in Duluth. Even with Lake Superior, there are the occasional 90 deg days. With global warming (yes, I use that term deliberately) the storm fronts have shifted to that area and we can't count on the influence of the lake. Witness the recent flooding up there.

Our condo faces the lake. It has large windows which gather a lot of heat. We have a central A/C there too, but it is a noisy thing - not very efficient. The blinds can keep out a lot of it but who wants to shut themselves in when the vista of Lake Superior beckons? There are fans in the bedrooms but none where we sit and enjoy the view. This fan should solve that.

Here's an idea of what it looks like.

condo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg condo lake-1 9-04-11 (1:4 scale).jpg (32.5 KB, 409 views)

Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Watchamukallit...

Quote:
We bought a ceiling fan for our condo... snipped...
Hahaha! I finally remembered what "they" call those electronic drives, like the one in your fan. They've been used to control the speed of industrial induction motors, been used for decades, and are known in industry as Variable Frequency Drives! VFD's control induction motor with precision and efficiency!

Not pious, just saved by grace. Your true Christianity
shows in how you treat those who hate you.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Ho Ho Tai
Master Member

Default Here's what it looks like, installed

Sorry about the lighting on this shot. The light reflected from Lake Superior washes it out a bit.

The 2nd shot is a shot of the hub. Note the word "Haiku" on one side and the ass end of an ass on the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan - 2.jpg (112.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg fan close-up - 2.jpg (108.1 KB, 337 views)

Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

Quite lovely, it seems to look even "classier" installed, than in the advertisement photo. Congrats! Great view out the window as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
MattB
\m/

MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Good to see it up
I'm sure it was hard to hang
Nice view of the Lake
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Ho Ho Tai
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Good to see it up
I'm sure it was hard to hang
Nice view of the Lake
Nothing's imposs'ble
For the man who doesn't have to
Do the work himself.

Sorry - not quite true haiku - just trying to squeeze in an old adage.

We had some folks come out from API Electric in Duluth. They have done work for us before. It's amazing to watch an electrician and see how little actually has to do with hooking up wires and how much is hard, gritty labor.

That view of the lake is why we positioned the fan where it is. The place is furnished rather sparsely. We started with air mattresses and a table, branched out a bit to get some beds, an Amish love seat just big enough for Mrs Ho Ho and me (right under the fan) and a little coffee table, made by a woman in Duluth who makes old fashioned coffins, largely out of recycled material. She made one for my dad in 2006. He died at age 99. She made his coffin out of old cedar telegraph poles which had first seen service about the time he was born. She also makes cremains boxes and made one for us. We'll move into that when we finally 'downsize'.

At my dad's funeral, I quoted an old Irish blessing: "May you be buried in a coffin made of 100 year old oak, grown from seeds which I shall plant tomorrow". Very apt, considering.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
daddyoh70
Flibbidy Diggity

daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.
daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.daddyoh70 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Was sorting through some old pics recently. This one made me think of this thread

"Don't ever shoot my Sunday joyride music down" Wesley Willis
daddyoh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Ho Ho Tai
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyoh70 View Post
Was sorting through some old pics recently. This one made me think of this thread

I stole the hell out of this image. I think it brings this thread to its logical conclusion.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
ampleampleample

ampleampleample can now change their title

They did use William "Refridgerator Perry" as a spokes person for a number of years.
ampleampleample is offline   Reply With Quote