Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Weight gain problems

When I was younger I had a healthy BMI. Then I stopped living with my parents and had the opportunity to try new foods etc. I discovered I enjoyed stuffing myself and gained a lot of weight. I gained a total of over 150lbs over the years. But after I gained 60lbs I started to have problems. I had difficulty getting out of chairs, I started getting knee join pain. I weigh 286lbs these days and I have mobility issues a lot! At my worst I had severe back pain after walking for 3 minutes. I have to do daily exercise to get rid of my back pain but it doesn't help my joint pain. My husband, who has been fat all his life has none of these problems.
I was wondering if these problems were because I was thin when growing up. Has anyone else had this problem?
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Jim Miller

Jim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticed

Bodies handle extra weight (fat or otherwise) very differently. Some people can weigh 400 or even 500 pounds for decades with minimal to modest extra strain on their organs and joints. Some people can't handle even 30 extra pounds for any length of time, let alone a lifetime, without developing noticeable health problems right away. It's one of those unfortunate "luck of the draw" situations. You can do physical therapy and take properly prescribed medications to mitigate your health problems at a higher weight, but it sounds like you've got the great misfortune of having one of those bodies that really wants to be lighter. (Another possibility is that you've got one of those bodies that's just naturally wearing out earlier than standard. Yet another possibility is that your health problems have nothing to do with your weight so much as something else that has occurred along with it.) I would suggest you see your doctor for some professional advice.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

I've already been to a doctor and they said to lose weight and do more exercise. Generally I'm healthy I just have mobility issues.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Note too that there are plenty of skinny people with back and knee issues. You might be prone to these things no matter what your size.....but being heavier can make them worse.

For certain work on you exercises--if you haven't been to a physiotherapist who has given you set of exercise for your specific issues, please try to go see one. Being generally active can help some, but strengthening the very specific muscles you need to help with these issues will help a lot more. Also they can tell you activities and moves to avoid doing.

If you build up the muscles and lose some weight, you might get a major improvement in how you feel. Maybe not, maybe a lot of weight loss is what you need, but from my understanding some more strength and some less weight to bear can often lead to a major improvement.

Good luck, and I hope you are out and about, not to mention up and down and moving all around, much better in the not to distant future!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Jah
Veggie girl

Thanks for the replies and the advice!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Ask the doctor which diet as the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
I've already been to a doctor and they said to lose weight and do more exercise. Generally I'm healthy I just have mobility issues.
Some people argue that fat people can do something to change the situation. For the last 40 years Americans have been spending more and more money on diet plans and programs and foods. During the same period of time the average American is getting fatter. What more data does one need to know that, for the vast majority people, dieting does not work? If a doctor tells a person that they should go on a weight loss diet there are two questions the patient should ask.

One) Which diet has the data to show that it is the most effective?

Two) Since only one in 20 people manage to lose weight and keep it off what is it about me that makes you think that I have more willpower than 19 other fat patients of yours?
Russell Williams is offline   Reply With Quote