Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
shandyman

shandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Any science folk on here?

Hi Everyone. I Joined this forum quite a while back and have only recently become and active member again. The main reason I stopped coming on here was because I started to do a PhD and has taken over my life over the past few years.
Now I am at the final stages of writing and thinking about the wider aspect of the research I have done. I have been making computer models of ancient plants that are millions of years old and looking in to their evolutionary history.

I am now wondering how many Science fans are out there in the BHM FFA world. Recently Mars Science Laboratory (cursorily) really has made me more interested in wider science again (also the geologist in me loves looking at the images).

So is there anything anyone would like to share? or does anyone have any question on the work I do.... lets see what happens
shandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Goreki
Fairy tales and Woe

Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am Quite Literally MADE COMPLETELY OF SCIENCE!!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
shandyman

shandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreki View Post
HAHAHA

Yes..... yes you are!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
It's true--she is!

And doesn't she just have the cutest paleontology?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Have Tools, Will Tinker...

57 year-old lifetime electronics hobbyist/tech, here.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Goreki
Fairy tales and Woe

Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We're talking SCIENCE! Not Pseudo Science!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default I Could Be Wrong

I always thought Consumer Electronics=Pseudo Science, but Electronic Experimentation, Design, & Construction =Real Science. Aahm jest ignernt, I guess.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Goreki
Fairy tales and Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I always thought Consumer Electronics=Pseudo Science, but Electronic Experimentation, Design, & Construction =Real Science. Aahm jest ignernt, I guess.
SHHHHHhhhh, I am reminding myself not to bust out my Phrenology.. Bust.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default Now, There You Go!

Quote:
SHHHHHhhhh, I am reminding myself not to bust out my Phrenology.. Bust.
Now, there you go! I aced every exam I ever took in Phrenology!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We have a resident PhD'er here on the board (she got tits) and she didn't let that get in the way of sharing in the community about how badass she is.

No excuses.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Just a lowly robotics engineering tech and ag scientist here...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
We have a resident PhD'er here on the board (she got tits) and she didn't let that get in the way of sharing in the community about how badass she is.

No excuses.
We have a couple, I b'lieve......where are they tonight?

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
shandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post

No excuses.
Ok ok I am a bad man for not coming in here enough..... In my defence when I started my PhD family members started dropping down dead like flies around me... So my mind has definitely been on other things.

However what is now important is that I'm here, you are all here, we can all be awesome and im going to go away and be quite jealous of the robotics engineer!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've got a doctorate in Awesomeology, it's a pretty tough field to get in to

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've always considered myself to be somewhat of an amateur doctor.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
SitiTomato

SitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going onSitiTomato knows EXACTLY what's going on

Well I've seen this movie abut fifty times. I think that makes me a scientist now.
SitiTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
mischel
SSBHM

mischel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesmischel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Soon to be M.Sc. in business administration & engineering aaaand soon to be international welding engineer.

But i'm a science guy when it comes to warpdrives!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I only have an AAS Degree in Computer Science but I love it. I admittedly have been caught day-dreaming writing pseudo code in my head, while I should have been paying attention to the conversation my ex was trying to have with me lol.

Besides that I love almost all things science fiction, and loved the fact that we had to memorize the formula for nuclear fusion in the sun in astronomy.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
Now I am at the final stages of writing and thinking about the wider aspect of the research I have done. I have been making computer models of ancient plants that are millions of years old and looking in to their evolutionary history.

........ or does anyone have any question on the work I do
Your work sounds interesting, and I have a few questions:

1. Are you on the biology side, the modeling side or both?
2. Which plants do you study?
3. How does modeling the plant aid in understanding its evolutionary history?
4. On what do you base your models? Fossil records? Predictions based on convergence or divergence of known plants?

Evolutionary bio is a field in which I have zero experience, so those last two questions might sound completely ignorant to you.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
Diana_Prince245
Wise as Athena

Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm in nursing school with eventual plans to get an NP, but my brother's a PhD chemist.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm a scientist. At least, that's what I tell people when I run around wearing nothing but a lab coat and goggles.

FOR SCIENCE!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
shandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
Your work sounds interesting, and I have a few questions:

1. Are you on the biology side, the modeling side or both?
2. Which plants do you study?
3. How does modeling the plant aid in understanding its evolutionary history?
4. On what do you base your models? Fossil records? Predictions based on convergence or divergence of known plants?

Evolutionary bio is a field in which I have zero experience, so those last two questions might sound completely ignorant to you.
Hey
1) I am actually coming at this from a geology palaeontology background. I have had to learn a huge amount of botany and am now probably at degree level standard in botany. The modelling is quite straight forward as I use a lot of the methods trailed in medicine and just refine them for fossils.

2) The plants I am studying are the ones before flowering plants evolved, these are mainly gymnosperms which include conifers, pines, cycads, ginkgo ect. For me these are some of the most interesting species that have ever lived.

3) The 3D models allows for a detailed view of some small and complex structures, botanists today use DNA to create evolutionary trees, in fossils specimens we do not have any DNA and can only go by what we can see or the morphology. We also treat modern living species the same way as our fossils so we can do direct comparisons and see how reliable our results are.

4) The models are based on both fossil and living specimens, we try not to look at stastical methods like phylogenies and try to concentrate on finding the evolutionary important structures .

I hope this helps to clear up a bit of what I do
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
Hey
1) I am actually coming at this from a geology palaeontology background. I have had to learn a huge amount of botany and am now probably at degree level standard in botany. The modelling is quite straight forward as I use a lot of the methods trailed in medicine and just refine them for fossils.

2) The plants I am studying are the ones before flowering plants evolved, these are mainly gymnosperms which include conifers, pines, cycads, ginkgo ect. For me these are some of the most interesting species that have ever lived.

3) The 3D models allows for a detailed view of some small and complex structures, botanists today use DNA to create evolutionary trees, in fossils specimens we do not have any DNA and can only go by what we can see or the morphology. We also treat modern living species the same way as our fossils so we can do direct comparisons and see how reliable our results are.

4) The models are based on both fossil and living specimens, we try not to look at stastical methods like phylogenies and try to concentrate on finding the evolutionary important structures .

I hope this helps to clear up a bit of what I do
It does. Thanks for explaining! When are you going to defend?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
shandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
It does. Thanks for explaining! When are you going to defend?
In the next couple of months, I am submitting my thesis in the next few weeks and then the long wait....

I only saw your background after I wrote the reply, sorry if i dummed it down a bit too much!!