Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
In the next couple of months, I am submitting my thesis in the next few weeks and then the long wait....

I only saw your background after I wrote the reply, sorry if i dummed it down a bit too much!!
No worries - like I said, plant/evolutionary bio is not my field at all, so it probably needs to be dumbed down for me!

Have fun with the wait....I've been screwed around by the department for MONTHS now, and am currently waiting for my second defense (you probably only have one, though, as most departments do it that way), but I won't pollute your thread with bureaucratic complaints!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
shandyman

shandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
No worries - like I said, plant/evolutionary bio is not my field at all, so it probably needs to be dumbed down for me!

Have fun with the wait....I've been screwed around by the department for MONTHS now, and am currently waiting for my second defense (you probably only have one, though, as most departments do it that way), but I won't pollute your thread with bureaucratic complaints!
Feel free to pollute the thread. I am never shocked now by the inefficiency of a University. They are institutions full of clever people, none of which have any common sense!
shandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
In the next couple of months, I am submitting my thesis in the next few weeks and then the long wait....

I only saw your background after I wrote the reply, sorry if i dummed it down a bit too much!!
Thank you for dumbing it down enough for the rest of us!

And good luck getting the thesis all wrapped, and in not going mad from boredom/tension between then and your defense
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
qwertyman173
Andy from UK

qwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this board

I'm a chemical engineer
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #30
sarahe543

sarahe543 has super-sized repsarahe543 has super-sized repsarahe543 has super-sized repsarahe543 has super-sized repsarahe543 has super-sized rep

A would have been science gal, I did an entrance exam for med school but i ended up having more babies instead!
sarahe543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
viracocha
Hot like sauce

viracocha does more than just post hot picsviracocha does more than just post hot picsviracocha does more than just post hot pics

My inner-wannabe-paleontologist thinks that awesome. My lack of botany and bio knowledge is a substantial handicap to understand how/what the 3D modeling shows. I'd be curious to know what you can tell from morphology to whatever small and complex structures you mentioned.
<-- archaeologist out of comfortable time periods
viracocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #32
shandyman

shandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going onshandyman knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by viracocha View Post
My inner-wannabe-paleontologist thinks that awesome. My lack of botany and bio knowledge is a substantial handicap to understand how/what the 3D modeling shows. I'd be curious to know what you can tell from morphology to whatever small and complex structures you mentioned.
<-- archaeologist out of comfortable time periods
I tend to concentrate on the female reproductive structures as this is where a fair amount of the changes take place. Many seeds will have common structures, however there are usually distinct differences in these structures between different species. These subtle differences in between the species is fairly consistent through geological time. So a Ginkgo seed and a pine seed will be as different now and for the same reasons as they were 120 million years ago. That is in general how is works, although is is not always that simple.
Below is a picture of one of the models I have made
shandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #33
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

BigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
I've always considered myself to be somewhat of an amateur doctor.
I'M NOT A GYNECOLOGIST BUT I'LL TAKE A LOOK
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #34
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
However what is now important is that I'm here, you are all here, we can all be awesome and im going to go away and be quite jealous of the robotics engineer!!!
No need to be jealous, I love to share - and as I started in agricultural science, I in turn am in awe of your biological models.

Maybe we can come up with a roboticized way to exhibit them?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
Anjula
miss wonderfulamazing

Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm a future civil engineer, does it count? Or maybe mining one depends on which way will I choose in 4 yrs lol
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Hi Everyone. I Joined this forum quite a while back and have only recently become and active member again. The main reason I stopped coming on here was because I started to do a PhD and has taken over my life over the past few years.
Now I am at the final stages of writing and thinking about the wider aspect of the research I have done. I have been making computer models of ancient plants that are millions of years old and looking in to their evolutionary history.

I am now wondering how many Science fans are out there in the BHM FFA world. Recently Mars Science Laboratory (cursorily) really has made me more interested in wider science again (also the geologist in me loves looking at the images).

So is there anything anyone would like to share? or does anyone have any question on the work I do.... lets see what happens
I will say that I have an M.S. degree in Biological Science. I do love biology and astronomy! I find astronomy so interesting because when I taught it, I was amazed at what is out there in the universe. We are just little dots compared to other things in our universe! Life is so precious. I do wish to earn a PhD in Public Health, I don't want to work in the laboratory all day.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKitten View Post
I will say that I have an M.S. degree in Biological Science. I do love biology and astronomy! I find astronomy so interesting because when I taught it, I was amazed at what is out there in the universe. We are just little dots compared to other things in our universe! Life is so precious. I do wish to earn a PhD in Public Health, I don't want to work in the laboratory all day.
The dream of every PhD - to GTFO of the wetlab. You spend 6 years learning complicated techniques, just so you never have to use them again.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

I suppose technically I'm on my way to being a social scientist as I've just started my degree course (which is why I haven't posted much for the last few days...mucho reading of textbooks).

The trouble is I'm already finding myself itching to argue against some of the stuff in them. I know I'm going to end up submitting a 2,500 word paper entitled 'Fuck Society!' at the end of this module.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjula View Post
I'm a future civil engineer, does it count? Or maybe mining one depends on which way will I choose in 4 yrs lol
It sure counts! Especially since women in engineering are still uncommon, if not rare. (Among the 48 first-term robotics engineering tech students I'm teaching this term, there is not one female...)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #40
fat hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I suppose technically I'm on my way to being a social scientist as I've just started my degree course (which is why I haven't posted much for the last few days...mucho reading of textbooks).

The trouble is I'm already finding myself itching to argue against some of the stuff in them. I know I'm going to end up submitting a 2,500 word paper entitled 'Fuck Society!' at the end of this module.
What kind of social "science"? (We 'hard scientists' and 'engineers' often have a laugh at the expense of the 'social scientists' who sometimes seem to substitute opinions for hard facts. The laws of physics are immutable; the laws of economics and sociology, not so much.)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #41
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
What kind of social "science"? (We 'hard scientists' and 'engineers' often have a laugh at the expense of the 'social scientists' who sometimes seem to substitute opinions for hard facts. The laws of physics are immutable; the laws of economics and sociology, not so much.)
Oh agreed. This course is a load of crap but unfortunately it's a mandatory element in my modern classics degree.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
dharmabean
♥ ɢrтıтuɗɛ◦ɢӏ ♥

dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I originally went to college for criminal psychology /forensics. I studied a lot of science based classes.

I ended up wanting to so something more creative... then got lost on the way.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
That's a nice rendering. How did you go from seed to 3D model? What software did you use?

I'm not a scientist, but I have made computer graphics to explain science to children.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #44
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

Lately I've been spending most of my time studying the sweet science.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #45
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic_Effect View Post
I wish some viable heavyweights would study it. UFC is killing it. I know, I know, there's Paqiuo and Hopkins and Mayweather and a few others, but boxing lives and dies by the heavyweight division and it has been a long while since there has been a charismatic, larger than life champ.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #46
Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going onGeodetic_Effect knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
I wish some viable heavyweights would study it. UFC is killing it. I know, I know, there's Paqiuo and Hopkins and Mayweather and a few others, but boxing lives and dies by the heavyweight division and it has been a long while since there has been a charismatic, larger than life champ.
I agree. I miss Tyson. I do really like Mayweather though.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #47
cakeboy
Douchepuncher Supreme!

cakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging incakeboy makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic_Effect View Post
WIN. Boxing is amazing.