Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
jason'sgottenfat

jason'sgottenfat has said some nice things
Default Observation about this community of ours

I can not help but notice that there seems to be a lot of people in this community that politically,...and with their values,..lean to the liberal left. I have recently come back to this forum. I can't lie. I seem to be the only social conservative here. It is the one thing about these boards for me that make it an uncomfortable thing for me. I honestly hate the direction our nation (The United States), our society, and our government is going. I am not looking to get a million rabid responses from everyone here. Lord knows I have been rabidly attacked on this forum in the past and online in general. I am just saying that it is incredibly uncomfortable on this forum.
jason'sgottenfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason'sgottenfat View Post
I can not help but notice that there seems to be a lot of people in this community that politically,...and with their values,..lean to the liberal left. I have recently come back to this forum. I can't lie. I seem to be the only social conservative here. It is the one thing about these boards for me that make it an uncomfortable thing for me. I honestly hate the direction our nation (The United States), our society, and our government is going. I am not looking to get a million rabid responses from everyone here. Lord knows I have been rabidly attacked on this forum in the past and online in general. I am just saying that it is incredibly uncomfortable on this forum.
I would avoid Hyde Park then. Your alternative is start your own forum for conservatives if being among the liberals makes you uncomfortable. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
PinkPoodle

PinkPoodle can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPinkPoodle can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I, for one, am unafiliated. I try not to get involved with political conversations because it just makes me angry. Political conversations or debates tend to make all those involved look like big jerks. So you can hang out with me cause I'd rather talk about other things.
PinkPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I am just saying that it is incredibly uncomfortable on this forum.
So don't discuss politics. There's a lot more to dims than political opinions.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Go back in the archives a year or two or three. Radical right wingers and libertarians ruled the roost. For some reason many of these guys (and a few gals) didn't play well with others -- when people challenged their ideas they either responded in ways that ultimately resulted in banishment or voluntarily took their metaphoric balls and went home.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Diana_Prince245
Wise as Athena

Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

If it makes you uncomfortable, don't come here.

Your values likely make others uncomfortable. It's not as if it's a one-way street.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
There are conservatives here, myself for one, but despite participating in a few political threads here and there (and being labelled a "duck" once, for some bizarre reason...) I tend to stay away from that sort of thing. There's plenty of other places to get my political fix without bringing it here. This is a social site for me, and I'd like to keep it a pleasant experience.

My values are very important to me, but they're mine to live. I'd rather live them than argue on the internet. I've participated in local and federal politics in the past, and you can get a whole lot more done volunteering for a cause than letting what people on the internet think, or believe, get you down. If someone here is getting under your skin- block them.

I'll echo the others, if it makes you uncomfortable I would suggest avoiding Hyde Park and just enjoy the vast majority of the site that's not political. No one can change you if you don't let them. Also, you won't get cooties.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

I would say that I am mostly libertarian. This isn't really a politics site except for Hyde park.
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's very rare that there's reasonable intelligent discourse between opposing political parties here, at least currently. It usually turns into insults, a free-for-all and then before the thread is closed down and infraction points and bans are doled out, a few gifs are posted for hahas signifying the impending demise of the thread which is usually by that point, merciful but not always swift. So, I would suggest, for your peace of mind, to look for a political forum where there's either respectful debate or it's all your political slant and stay here for everything else that suits you.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

One element of this community is fat/size acceptance or even the celebration of fat - thus openly defying the current social standard that rejects and ostracizes fat.

Social conservatism by definition aims at maintaining, strengthening and enforcing traditional social standards - so it's an almost logical consequence that it will not be prevalent in the context of this board, since it would mean enduring at least a cognitive dissonance in one (however major) aspect of one's life.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I would avoid Hyde Park then. Your alternative is start your own forum for conservatives if being among the liberals makes you uncomfortable. Best of luck.
Why? People can be of differing political persuations here and they should not have to feel uncomfortable about it.

Dimensions should be a place for all kinds of views.

Last edited by Shosh; 08-10-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typo
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm British, so don't really care about American politics. It's certainly not what I come to Dims for. I find that it's fairly easy to avoid all the political stuff and just concentrate on what interests me. I don't know about the political leanings of most of the people I talk to here, and that's the way I like it!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Dude, you have less than 30 posts and you're making judgements already?
I would say...watch, learn, participate. Or don't.

You can only be a part of a community if you're a part of it, right?
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
immobile1

immobile1 can now change their title
Default The nation is divided

It is the nature of a group fighting for one's rights to lean left as the fight begins or is still not fully recognized. Once accepted, a group would then fall into a more natural state reflecting its participants, either staying left, moving the center or to the right.

Just as Churchill said about individuals, the quote below may also apply to groups:

"If you're not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you're not a conservative by the time you're 40 you have no brain."

But America's current divide is almost as bad as pre-civil war times. One side can't compromise with the other. This is why nothing gets done and we get passed by other countries.

The only bright spot for anyone in result of our suffering is that the rich are getting far richer.

Otherwise, the US is a stagnate country. All we export are tobacco and movies and music, everything else is developed here but manufactured somewhere else.
immobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
bbwsrule

bbwsrule can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwsrule can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwsrule can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I for one consider myself "center right" but having dabbled in Hyde Park, I no longer do. This site really isn't about politics to me.

I suppose on one level, gay rights being among them, suggest that Conservatives (I don't label myself as such or anything else really) are less tolerant and might therefore be less tolerant of size acceptance. There are plenty of people like myself who think Gays should have rights to marry etc but are economicially more conservative. So in that sense alone it is hard to generalize.

However, with size acceptance it does seem to me that the most engergetically-opposed to fatness might be some on the left (not here of course, but in society). Witness some of the initiatives in NYC for example.
I think FA and fat hate runs across the spectrum of society in general.

In any event, hope the OP can enjoy other stuff on this site. I certainly do!
bbwsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
This is not a direct response, or challenge, to your comments, but I think it fits here.

I had a recent off-board exchange with one of our Dimensions folks. It was primarily about biking, but the idea of community crept in also. Your use of that word prompted me to repeat my message here.

I am, generally speaking, a progressive, but not entirely so. I do believe that people should stand on their own two feet when they can - and then offer a hand to those who cannot. Mrs Ho Ho and I stand on our own feet pretty well yet, though mine are a bit wobbly at times. We do reach out our hands to those who need help regaining their feet - and sometimes find that their hand is supporting us as well.

That, to me, is the nature of community.

Quoting myself: "In my old age, I figure it is part of my role to lend support in all sorts of ways - smiling, or smiling back at another's smile, offering compliments, when meaningful, acknowledging the success of another, or offering sympathy for their pain. At my age, I've just about done it all and empathy comes as easily as sympathy. We are lucky to be in a position to offer more concrete support also, when that seems appropriate.

All of these actions have in common the appreciation of communities, whether local, on-board, or world wide. All of these action are meant to strengthen the webwork of community, the very cradle of civilization.

This quotation is variously attributed to Paul Wellstone or to Jim Hightower's father: "When everyone does better, everyone does better." It is one of the two bumper stickers on my vehicle and one of the mottos we live by.

Bikers and biking seem to form a community of their own, but not a community limited just to them. Folks who refine their personal strengths and social contacts on the trail tend to carry these into their larger lives as well. "Trail buddies never leave trail buddies behind" and that works pretty well for communities also."

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."

Last edited by Ho Ho Tai; 08-10-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: modify phrase
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
This is not a direct response, or challenge, to your comments, but I think it fits here.

I had a recent off-board exchange with one of our Dimensions folks. It was primarily about biking, but the idea of community crept in also. Your use of that word prompted me to repeat my message here.

I am, generally speaking, a progressive, but not entirely so. I do believe that people should stand on their own two feet when they can - and then offer a hand to those who cannot. Mrs Ho Ho and I stand on our own feet pretty well yet, though mine are a bit wobbly at times. We do reach out our hands to those who need help regaining their feet - and sometimes find that their hand is supporting us as well.

That, to me, is the nature of community.

Quoting myself: "In my old age, I figure it is part of my role to lend support in all sorts of ways - smiling, or smiling back at another's smile, offering compliments, when meaningful, acknowledging the success of another, or offering sympathy for their pain. At my age, I've just about done it all and empathy comes as easily as sympathy. We are lucky to be in a position to offer more concrete support also, when that seems appropriate.

All of these actions have in common the appreciation of communities, whether local, on-board, or world wide. All of these action are meant to strengthen the webwork of community, the very cradle of civilization.

This quotation is variously attributed to Paul Wellstone or to Jim Hightower's father: "When everyone does better, everyone does better." It is one of the two bumper stickers on my vehicle and one of the mottos we live by.

Bikers and biking seem to form a community of their own, but not a community limited just to them. Folks who refine their personal strengths and social contacts on the trail tend to carry these into their larger lives as well. "Trail buddies never leave trail buddies behind" and that works pretty well for communities also."
Ho Ho you quote one of my favorite men, Paul Wellstone. I miss having him in Minnesota politics and I wish we still had him with us in these trying times to remind us that we are all in this life TOGETHER.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb Roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
One element of this community is fat/size acceptance or even the celebration of fat - thus openly defying the current social standard that rejects and ostracizes fat.

Social conservatism by definition aims at maintaining, strengthening and enforcing traditional social standards - so it's an almost logical consequence that it will not be prevalent in the context of this board, since it would mean enduring at least a cognitive dissonance in one (however major) aspect of one's life.
THANK YOU. DIMz grew out of NAAFA which started in '68 as an offshoot of the civil-rights movement. Capital-L Libertarianism didn't come along 'til '77 after the 'Nam debacle had forced the Right to STFU for 3 years. They had to get their foot back in the door somehow and they certainly managed. The 'right to be left alone to be fat' is pretty much a male issue.
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
bbwbud

bbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions community

As a fellow conservative, I agree that this is not a place where you will find many who are like minded. One of the things that attracts me to conservativism is that we think not everything in life is political (amen), and when I come here, I generally prefer to leave my politics at the door, in the hope that others would do the same. One of the drawbacks of a life lived online is a greater willingness to preach politically to others, as I have learned from all to many people on Facebook and other forums. I think you have learned, maybe later than most that many who praise the values of diversity and tolerance, don't extend those feelings to ideology.
bbwbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
It's very rare that there's reasonable intelligent discourse between opposing political parties here, at least currently. It usually turns into insults, a free-for-all and then before the thread is closed down and infraction points and bans are doled out, a few gifs are posted for hahas signifying the impending demise of the thread which is usually by that point, merciful but not always swift.
(snipped) . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
Why? People can be of differing political persuations here and they should not have to feel uncomfortable about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I'm British, so don't really care about American politics. It's certainly not what I come to Dims for. I find that it's fairly easy to avoid all the political stuff and just concentrate on what interests me. (snipped . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by immobile1 View Post
(snipped) . . . .
Just as Churchill said about individuals, the quote below may also apply to groups:

"If you're not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you're not a conservative by the time you're 40 you have no brain."

(snipped again) . . . .
Dear Jason,

I agree with part of your complaint in that at times the DIMS community can be very opinionated. However, sometimes it swings to the left (individual rights and fat tolerance) and sometimes it swings to the right (crime and punishment & world relationships). I really like the quote that immobile offered that is attributed to Churchill - yes, it does seems we can change our political views as we age - usually from liberal to conservative.

What I would like to see more of here are true debates without the name calling, cat calling, booing, hissing, and spitting - and let me say I am guilty of violating these type of attacks just as much as others. I think that true debate is a valuable tool to state important truths and inform others of the facts in the "other side of the story". Attempting to persuade our peers and speaking out about what we see as truths is one of the important rights in modern societies. We just need to learn to talk with enthusiasm and passion without turning into pit bulls and going for each others' throats.

And as Gingembre commented, America is not the only player in this game of life. There are many other countries with issues just as important as those in the US. Showing more concern towards other countries, their problems and people will help erase some of the ugly American comments and accusations - and we have a lot to learn from others.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #21
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
I prefer not to label myself as liberal or conservative or whatever other labels are out there. To me, politics is all about a bunch of silver spoons who have everything arguing with each other about what they believe "the people" want when they (1) have no idea, (2) don't really give a shit, and (3) are so unwilling to give a shit that they use diversionary topics to block "the people" from speaking out about what matters to them and what's worrying them.

If I were to label myself I would give the label "annoyed"! LOL!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb Purrenial Phlossiphers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk2293 View Post
I prefer not to label myself as liberal or conservative or whatever other labels are out there. To me, politics is all about a bunch of silver spoons who have everything arguing with each other about what they believe "the people" want when they (1) have no idea, (2) don't really give a shit, and (3) are so unwilling to give a shit that they use diversionary topics to block "the people" from speaking out about what matters to them and what's worrying them.

If I were to label myself I would give the label "annoyed"! LOL!!!
Less Epictetus and more Diabeetus.
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post

He's the one complaining about being uncomfortable around people with different views than his own. That's why I suggested he find someplace that caters only to his viewpoints. I didn't suggest anything about Dimensions not being diverse. Not sure how you misunderstood that.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Jason, you will always be around people with different views. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say you're the "only" social conservative here but even if you were -- so what? Are you here to discuss politics or to talk about size related issues?

If you want to talk politics -- post in Hyde Park and you'll see you're not the only one who believes as you do. If you don't want to talk about politics, then the answer is simple -- don't.

If the environment is uncomfortable for you because there are people who believe differently, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe find an environment more conducive to your belief?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
Hathor
stolen child

Hathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
I'm ultra-conservative myself. It's why about 95% of my time on this forum is spent not logging in and only coming to look at the fashion links when I'm shopping. That's a wealth of information there.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote