Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in
Default vegetarians

Are there any vegetarians here? If you are one what type are you? And what was your reason for becoming one?

I'm thinking of going vegetarian. I've tried it before and I didn't plan well enough for it. This time I will buy a couple of cookbooks to help me out and make sure I plan it out thoroughly.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

I'm a vegetarian for more than one year now. I don't any eat meat or fish, but I do eat eggs and milk/-products. If I eat cheese, I always check if it wasn't made with animal lab-ferment. Sweets and cake are often made with gelatin so I can't eat that stuff too.

At first I missed food like McDonald's or sandwiches with tuna, but now that's no problem for me anymore.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Like firefly, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian and have been for twenty-nine years. Things are a little easier for vegetarians these days: you can buy fake hamburger patties, hot dogs, bacon, etc. even in ordinary supermarkets. In health food stores you can buy seitan, which can substitute for chicken in most recipes. The best vegetarian cookbook I ever found was Simply Heavenly by Abbot George Burke of Holy Protection Monastery. The recipes are all vegan, and they're simple and tasty. The book is out of print, but you can probably score a copy here. Bon appetit!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board
Smile tried veg

Twelve years ago I tried vegetarian lasted one week ,
these days I eat vegetarian like 3 times a month other days not but never more then 3 to 4 oz or approx 100 grams daily of meat poultry fish shellfish etc

Online there are many vegetarian recipes to choose from.
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been a lacto vegetarian sometimes vegan my whole life. It's a religious thing.
I really want to be vegan but I can't give up delicious cheese! The moosewood cookbook is really good. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ This is my go-to site for yummy healthy recipes. I love every one i have tried. Some are even favorites of my 9 year old Max.
I also like this blog http://www.sosvegetarianlife.com/
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The closest I came to it was giving up red meat for a year. It was a really tough transition for me because I'm such a carnivore. Of all things, I was seduced by the siren song of a McDonald's McDouble and went back to eating red meat. I did notice that I was less irritable during the time I was red-meat free, less prone to anger but I really like a good steak and now am anemic and have protein deficiencies that can only be addressed through animal protein. I still eat lots of fruits and veggies though.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
DreamyInToronto
ME WANT COOKIES!!!!

DreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized rep

Hi Jah, up until 2001 I was a vegetarian for 5 years and a complete vegan for 2 years after that, but at Christmas I would cheat and eat cheese and whip cream and pumpkin pie.

What prompted my vegetarianism was that I was really into animal rights when I was in highschool.

To be honest, I was a very lazy vegetarian and an even lazier vegan and didn't get enough protein. I basically ate pasta and veggie sauce every night and black tea and toast with almond butter for lunch. When I did eat protein it was always incomplete protein. I became anaemic, Vitamin D, B12 and iron deficient and one of my toenails fell off of my toe. I went to a haematologist and he told me I had to start eating meat so I started eating fish for a few months, then chicken and after that it was a slippery slope and after about a year, I started eating everything. To this day I still have to go for B12 shots though, once a month or so.

My advice to you would be to make sure you are getting enough (complete) protein and take a vitamin B12 and iron supplement daily if you can.

Getting some vegetarian recipe books too is a great idea!!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've been vegan for several years now. Quit eating veal at age 9, red meat at age 12 after seeing a documentary on factory farming. Stopped eating poultry at age 13 after realizing how many turkeys were killed for Thanksgiving. I ate fish for several years but eventually thought about the pain a fish hook causes and also coming to terms with the fact that fish brought out of the water suffocate, the same as if a human had his or her head held underwater.

I became a vegan for both health and ethical reasons. I just came back from the gym where I ran over 6 miles on the treadmill. I'm 43 years old and work in a restaurant where I'm often on my feet 10+ hours every day. I haven't seen a doctor in over 4 years and I never get sick. I often get mistaken for being years younger than I am.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I went vegetarian for 6 months mostly to see if I could do it. I could and found all I really had to do was alter the meals I used to make to make them meatless. I however do like meat a lot so I went back to having it. But I make an effort to eat a lot more meatless meals as I think it's good to give your body a break.

If I had to go vegetarian again, at least now I know that it wouldn't rock my world.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd love to go vegetarian but my doctor is strictly against it. He says my make-up will not be served well, but I very rarely eat red meat, anyway. I have many vegan and vegetarian friends, and I know a few raw vegans as well... I've always been tempted but I know I can get gravely sick if I don't stick to some meat... and fish is out of the question.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
I'd love to go vegetarian but my doctor is strictly against it. He says my make-up will not be served .
Carla,it sounds as if you limit your meat intake anyway, so I hope you'll consider seeking out organic meat (especially if you eat chicken). I recently read Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals, a documentary of the processes whereby various animals are raised, slaughtered, and processed for human consumption, and the benefits of organic meat, in terms of sanitation and the avoidance of food poisoning, are more than worth the cost. In addition, there was an article in the paper today about "superbugs" -- bacteria that are resistant to most antibiotics -- that said they show up much less often in organic meat than in the cheap stuff. And I agree, fish is out of the question!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm not currently, but I've tried it. The problem is I come from a very traditional meat-and-potatoes family, so holidays are tough. If you eat no meat but fish, that's called pescatarian. I've done that, too.

I think it can be a very healthy way to eat. If you're going to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at someone else's house, make sure to bring something for yourself, especially if it's a pot luck. Even if it's not a pot luck, it helps to have something anyway, just in case.

Last edited by EMH1701; 09-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

I tried being vegetarian for a few weeks but it ended up costing a lot and the meals caused my husband's IBS troubles to get worse. I think if I try it again, I will need to do a lot of planning. Anyone here know of any vegetarians with IBS and how they handle it?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

I'm a vegetarian with irritable bowel syndrome. I handle it by taking an OTC anti-diarrheal at the first sign of a soft bowel movement: works like a charm.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in

I've been either a lacto-ovo vegetarian or a pescatarian for close to 20 years. My husband is from a meat-and-potatoes family that believes "medium-well" means "hideously ruined," so my occasionally eating seafood makes things easier. Sometimes, though, even seafood makes me cringe, so I've learned to stay faaar away from the live seafood dept at the farmer's market.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
Sometimes, though, even seafood makes me cringe, so I've learned to stay faaar away from the live seafood dept at the farmer's market.
I know what you mean. A few years ago I read an article about the social life of lobsters. A lobster who's feeling good struts with his head held high and his tail sticking out straight behind; a fearful lobster adopts a "submission pose" with head down, tail curled under, and claws extended together like a beggar asking for money. And in the lobster tank, with their claws pegged so they can't defend themselves, ALL the lobsters cringe like that. OTOH, if their claws weren't pegged, they'd fight: just like us, really.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
I tried being vegetarian for a few weeks but it ended up costing a lot and the meals caused my husband's IBS troubles to get worse. I think if I try it again, I will need to do a lot of planning. Anyone here know of any vegetarians with IBS and how they handle it?
I have ibs.. Mines mostly stress related though. I do have trouble when i eat a ginormous salad but I just discovered using an anti-diarrheal really works well. When i eat vegan, it flares up more because i eat so much more roughage. I just can't give up my cheese though!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

veggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Hey there, I have been vegetarian for many years with lapses into veganism but despite being primarily vegetarian I do have AT LEAST one vegan meal a day. I found my health got so much better when I eliminated dairy and was completely vegan (my best friend with IBS noticed considerable health benefits when she eliminated dairy!), however my cravings for cheese really troubled me but I am battling onwards to become fully vegan again. In response to the cost, fruits and vegetables will always be cheaper than cuts of meat so I cannot agree that vegetarianism costs more. If you buy "vegetarian meat alternatives" then you will see the cost increase but you can make these so easily at home. I recommend you watch The Vegan Zombie channel on Youtube (link below) - apart from being so entertaining and funny his meals are very delicious! Planning is always key to success, I eat diversely and have found there is almost no food that cannot be veganised/veggie-sised! lol It is better for your body, the planet and the precious animals.

I went vegetarian because we all deserve to live and be respected whether we are human or non-human animals. I do not believe and could never condone the pointless and heartless actions such as slaughter, hunting, exploitation etc I choose to support various animal charities each month from my wages. Animals are not ours to use and abuse in any way and I want to live with kindness and compassion. Thats the long and short of it

Anyone considering going vegetarian or vegan MUST look up a phenomenal woman named Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (links below) who is simply the most amazing woman I have ever had the good fortune to listen to and learn from. Love, compassion and humanity. I hope my ramblings have helped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD1Zze5Qo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5D91...feature=fvwrel
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm not vegetarian but, now that I'm a student again, I do eat mostly vegetarian meals. Mostly because it's cheaper. I usually adapt recipes and use lentils/chickpeas/beans instead of meat. I don't have much fridge space, so I buy a lot of frozen vegetables....not quite as good as fresh, but not that bad really either.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Jah
Veggie girl

Before I was going to go lacto-ovo-vegetarian and then gradually go vegan. But I've decided to go straight to vegan instead. My husband wants to go vegan as well.
My reasons are that I want the health benefits and I don't like the cruelty of farms as well. I've been doing a lot of reading about what goes on in farms and I just don't want to consume meat, eggs, dairy and honey anymore.
I'm lucky in that I like the taste of most vegetables, vegans cheeses and other vegetarian foods.
I've found that although vegetables are cheaper than meat, vegan cheeses, vegan junkfood and other vegan products can be more expensive. But I'm willing to set aside extra money for it for the sake of not contributing to animal cruelty.
I've tried cooking some vegetarian food again and this time I've been using vegetables that have iron and protein that don't contribute to my husband's ibs and so far it's working.

Does anyone here know of any good tofu scramble recipes? I've been searching for an easy one.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Does anyone here know of any good tofu scramble recipes? I've been searching for an easy one.
Tofu "Scrambled Eggs"

1 Tbsp cooking oil of your choice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 drop liquid smoke
2 Tbsp finely chopped veggie bacon (optional)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp chopped jalapenos
2 cups soft tofu, crumbled

Put everything but the tofu in a skillet and stir well. Add the tofu and stir with a fork until the seasonings are evenly distributed. Cook until the water in the tofu evaporates and the mixture resembles scrambled eggs.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Those who are thinking of changing their diets:

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!

Vegan/vegetarianism is good for some, bad for others. It depends on your body.

I was vegan/vegetarian when I was a kid. I started eating meat when I was 12. I never really ate much red meat, and I avoided too much pork, so I ate a lot of chicken, vegetables, and pasta. Sometimes, i'd have veggie burgers or stripples. Very rarely.

When my mom had her gastric bypass, her doctor looked at me, examined my eye (I was't his patient,) and said, "Heavy mensies? Anemic? You need to eat more red me." When I explained to him that I took a multivitamin, iron, and I made sure to eat a lot of spinach (my favorite veggie anyway.) He looked at me, shook his head, and said, "Not enough. Eat red meat."

Last edited by Deven; 11-13-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Deven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deven View Post
Those who are thinking of changing their diets:

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!

Vegan/vegetarianism is good for some, bad for others. It depends on your body.

I was vegan/vegetarian when I was a kid. I started eating meat when I was 12. I never really ate much red meat, and I avoided too much pork, so I ate a lot of chicken, vegetables, and pasta. Sometimes, i'd have veggie burgers or stripples. Very rarely.

When my mom had her gastric bypass, her doctor looked at me, examined my eye (I was't his patient,) and said, "Heavy mensies? Anemic? You need to eat more red me." When I explained to him that I took a multivitamin, iron, and I made sure to eat a lot of spinach (my favorite veggie anyway.) He looked at me, shook his head, and said, "Not enough. Eat red meat."
Very true. My medical team said I must have animal protein, no substitutes, so talking to your doctor wouldn't hurt.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

By all means talk to your doctor, but you might want to double-check with a nutritionist. Medical schools usually don't spend much time on nutrition (it's the nutritionist's job, after all, not the doctor's), and I have listened to some otherwise very learned and thoughtful physicians talking absolute nonsense about nutrition.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
By all means talk to your doctor, but you might want to double-check with a nutritionist. Medical schools usually don't spend much time on nutrition (it's the nutritionist's job, after all, not the doctor's), and I have listened to some otherwise very learned and thoughtful physicians talking absolute nonsense about nutrition.
This too is true. However, there are many nutritionists who have an agenda and also spout nonsense. I speak from personal experience and having been hospitalized for severe malnutrition while my nutritionist and metabolic specialist were high-fiving each other next to my hospital bed for considering me to be one of their weight-loss 'successes'.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me