Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Sept/Oct Iron Foodie Challenge

It's almost Fall (in the Northern hemisphere, anyway) and the time of year when the urge to cook, roast and bake returns, and I spend more time in the kitchen. One of my favorite ingredients in just about everything is herbs. So, share with us your favorite ways to use them!

Past Challenge List
Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr Shrimp
May Eggs
Jun Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct Cheese
Nov Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr Chicken
May Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January Soup
February Pork
March-Mexican Food
April Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July Corn
August Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October Nuts
November Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February Spinach
March Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January rice
February chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
September - Apples
October - candy
November-Root Vegetables
December - Heavy Whipping Cream

January - Cakes
February - chocolate
March- Pizza
April - Crescent Rolls
May - Picnic!
June-Beef
July/August-Chicken Wings
September - Herbs
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love these, even though they are a lot of work. You can play with the spices a bit, see what you like. Of course, you want them to compliment each other...

Herbed Greek Mini Tarts

The pan you should use for this is a large muffin pan.

Ingredients:
3-4 tbsp tapenade or sundried tomato paste
1 large egg
Scant 1/2 cup thick greek yogurt (US strained plain)
6 tbsp chopped mixed herbs: Example, thyme, morjoram, basil, and parsley.
salt and ground pepper to taste

For the pastry:
1 cup plain flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp chilled water

To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub or cut in the butter. Sprinkle over the water and mix up to a dog. Knead briefly, then wrap and chill for 20 minutes.

Roll out the pastry and cut out eight rounds. Use to line the cups of the muffin tin.

Chill the pastry cases for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the overn to 375F.
Take some aluminium foil and line the top of the pastry cases. Do this for each one, individually! This is important! Bake for 15 minutes. Take them out, remove the foil, and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cases are crisp and dry.

Spread a little tapenade or tomato paste in the base of each pastry case. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk, garlic, herbs, and seasoning.

Carefully spoon the egg mixture into the pastry cases and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the filling is just firm to the touch and the pastry golden. Allow the pies to cool slightly before carefully removing them from the pan and serving.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Any other posts? How does this work?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Let's expand it to a Sept/Oct challenge. If we don't get more entries, then we might need to discontinue the challenges. We'll see!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Irish Soda Bread with Herbs

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 pinches each basil, parsley, thyme, and rosemary. I like to use lavender if I have it.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan. Combine all ingredients. Pour into pan.

Bake for 65-70 minutes.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think we've burned out on the challenges. Do we want a poll? If so, I said I'd post one. What do you guys think?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I suspect it's getting harder to find themes that haven't been done yet that people want to do.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Deven
Wendigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I suspect it's getting harder to find themes that haven't been done yet that people want to do.
Maybe start fresh? Delete the list of themes and start over?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

I think we'll take a little break. Maybe start up again in the spring!