Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
bigrugbybloke

bigrugbybloke can now change their title
Default scales: mechanical vs digital

evening.

maybe not the best place to post this (?) but as i would like to think of myself as a bhm, i thought it might be appropriate.

mechanical scales or digital ones? which are the most accurate?

reason being, i weigh about 150kg on the mechanical and 140kg on the digital. same time of day, same flooring, literally swappong one for the other, so no errors there.

ok, small weight i know compared to some guys on here, but not too small at 5'3" ?

thanks
bigrugbybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

They both have their flaws. The mechanical ones sometimes need to be recalibrated like musical instruments need to be tuned (the one at my doctor's office is clearly off) and the digital ones....well....my friends and I have taken to calling mine (which also has a voice read-out) HAL because it's so unpredictable and becoming increasingly erratic, not unlike the computer in Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey. In fact, mine is kept in the same place and I can weigh myself, step off, and weigh myself 30 seconds later and there's been a 20 lb. difference so it depends. On a lot.

The only scale I ever had the worked really well was rated for heavy-duty items and was rated postal accurate. It was rather expensive, electronic and could be purchased from LivingXL. It's called the Siltec and you can buy one that holds up to 500 or 1000 lbs (and converts to kgs as well).

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Limitations

Each type of scale has its own type of limitations. An old school doctor's office balance beam scale is the most accurate type of scale. A spring balance scale is accurate to a few percent, remember each percent is +/- 4 lbs at 400, and may not give exactly the same reading twice. A digital scale has the highest theoretical accuracy, but may not read at all or may give ridiculous readings if the subject is not able to stand perfectly still. I'm 5'7"-ish, weigh 459 lbs, am being monitored for CHF, am 57 years old, and fall in the category of people who are unable to stand perfectly still on the small platform of a bathroom scale.

The Taylor works for me because the numbers "bounce around" near my actual weight and can be mentally averaged into a fairly accurate result. This scale also projects its readings on the wall where they're not obscured by my huge belly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scale taylor 7081 wb md.jpg (15.1 KB, 105 views)

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
They both have their flaws. The mechanical ones sometimes need to be recalibrated like musical instruments need to be tuned (the one at my doctor's office is clearly off) and the digital ones....well....my friends and I have taken to calling mine (which also has a voice read-out) HAL because it's so unpredictable and becoming increasingly erratic, not unlike the computer in Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey. In fact, mine is kept in the same place and I can weigh myself, step off, and weigh myself 30 seconds later and there's been a 20 lb. difference so it depends. On a lot.

The only scale I ever had the worked really well was rated for heavy-duty items and was rated postal accurate. It was rather expensive, electronic and could be purchased from LivingXL. It's called the Siltec and you can buy one that holds up to 500 or 1000 lbs (and converts to kgs as well)
Thanks I was actually wondering that. Its hard for me to find a scale that works well at my size. I really don't want to get back over 500 lbs again but I'm not 100% sure I can stop it.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapist View Post
Thanks I was actually wondering that. Its hard for me to find a scale that works well at my size. I really don't want to get back over 500 lbs again but I'm not 100% sure I can stop it.
The Siltec has a large base so it's super-fat-friendly and the digital readout isn't on the scale itself, but rather on a cord so you can either hang it on a wall or nearby table. Also, the reading was extremely fast, even if I moved as opposed to the digital one I have now, which can give me a delayed and inaccurate reading if I even breathe.

I bought the Siltec years ago when I was considering WLS and I first consulted with the surgeon who had one at his clinic. Unfortunately, I left it behind when I left the ex.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
ManBeef

ManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions communityManBeef is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I love my digital glass scale. It has a personal setting that keeps track of BMI and the individuals stats... HOLLA!!!

(Now I am just getting chatty and rambling on all threads LOL)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Buffetbelly
Nosh, destroyer of snacks

Buffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 club

I can't see anything south of the equator so I have a high-capacity talking scale.

Buffetbelly is offline   Reply With Quote